Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis Presley Collection Announced By Fathead

Elvis Presley Collection Announced By Fathead

Today, Fathead®, the industry leader of officially licensed sports and entertainment decals and more, announced the release of the Elvis Presley® Fathead Collection. The astonishing collection consists of seven REAL.BIG. wall decals, featuring three life-size cut-outs and four 6ft x 4ft ...

More...

TCB Mafia

Re: Elvis Presley Collection Announced By Fathead

How about some first rate Elvis DVD's to be made for showing on such TV Channels as MTV, VH1, Sky Arts etc?

Brian

Are you kidding, Brian Quinn? That would mean showing Elvis like a real artist. Sheesh, sometimes I wonder where some fans have their heads...

The material for videos would come from where?
    Its not that I am being argumentative-I'm just being fair and realistic-they have more home movies but if they released all of them-some would complain "is nothing sacred"
    Warners has turned them down on some way of releasing EOT and TTWII outtakes even thru FTD to just fans.......
    You can not release what you do not have-without Elvis alive you can not manufacture new live performances (at least until the virtual Elvis is perfected and the jury will decide if its close to Elvis in movement and voice)
    They have released the Gospel DVDs, they have released 68 and Aloha, they have done the Elvis Lives DVD, they have done the Elvis by the Presleys, they have done the Elvis Viva Las Vegas the problem is new footage that has not been used a hundred times in one project or another.
    In the same article where Todd Morgan talks of trying to get Warners to work with EPE on releasing the outtakes-he talks of looking for fan footage that can be used in future projects...but lets face it most fan footage is blurry, choppy and rarely more than snippets of songs.
    Also finding the original owner of the film is near impossible when you do find better footage.
    I would love to see more things with Elvis performing that is new-but see its not easy to come up with out of thin air and like the PFAP release-which was about 20 minutes and few complete songs on the video.
    Sony could have used other sources of MSG footage and creative editing to make a full one hour concert experience-but they decided not to and then made it impossible to find in stores.
    Work in Progress!

Backstage Pass

The outtakes of TTWII and EOT are a really dream for me. But I know that EPE can not release them. EIC is to sad for some folks and now there is some hope of home-movies in a real serious project.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The material for videos would come from where?
    Its not that I am being argumentative-I'm just being fair and realistic-they have more home movies but if they released all of them-some would complain "is nothing sacred"
    Warners has turned them down on some way of releasing EOT and TTWII outtakes even thru FTD to just fans.......
    You can not release what you do not have-without Elvis alive you can not manufacture new live performances (at least until the virtual Elvis is perfected and the jury will decide if its close to Elvis in movement and voice)
    They have released the Gospel DVDs, they have released 68 and Aloha, they have done the Elvis Lives DVD, they have done the Elvis by the Presleys, they have done the Elvis Viva Las Vegas the problem is new footage that has not been used a hundred times in one project or another.
    In the same article where Todd Morgan talks of trying to get Warners to work with EPE on releasing the outtakes-he talks of looking for fan footage that can be used in future projects...but lets face it most fan footage is blurry, choppy and rarely more than snippets of songs.
    Also finding the original owner of the film is near impossible when you do find better footage.
    I would love to see more things with Elvis performing that is new-but see its not easy to come up with out of thin air and like the PFAP release-which was about 20 minutes and few complete songs on the video.
    Sony could have used other sources of MSG footage and creative editing to make a full one hour concert experience-but they decided not to and then made it impossible to find in stores.
    I can't agree with that. Quality has never been EPE's distinctive and if a label like, for example, STAR can find and release some interesting and unseen stuff while a major company like EPE can't that means that something is very wrong with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I can't agree with that. Quality has never been EPE's distinctive and if a label like, for example, STAR can find and release some interesting and unseen stuff while a major company like EPE can't that means that something is very wrong with them.
    Sorry thats how I see it. If I am in error about a treasure trove of super material that is for sale and anyone has knowledge of hours and hours of concert footage that is worthy of real production-contact EPE.
    Remembering that much of the footage is illegally using music owned by Sony and that the footage itself is bootlegged from concerts that strictly prohibited filming...and very few owners of this film want to get into the legal issues that are naturally a factor-unless its done overseas which is where much of the videos are produced. But to some EPE is a villain-and Star is above board
    I have seen some of Stars videos and for every minute of good footage there are 10 of blurred half songs which jump from good to bad.
    You are ignoring the point-....EPE "IS" looking for things that they can use in projects- EPE "HAS" tried to work a deal with Warners to release the outtakes from both concert films....EPE did start the Elvis In Concert tours which travel the globe (and it does not come cheap if you have seen the show they put on), they have done specials "highlighting Elvis' career"......its not like they have never done anything to try and showcase ELVIS the man and performer.
    Backseat driving is always easier when the total picture is just seen from the rear-and all the gauges and dials which show how much gas you have, if any warning lights are on, etc are only visible from the drivers seat.........Monday morning quarterbacks always score because nothing is on the line and you can call any play with nothing lost.
    There are limits to what you can do-when you have little to work with-that is a fact.
    Try making a cake-if someone else owns the eggs, flour, and baking powder...and the supply is limited.
    That is the situation-you want them to highlight Elvis the performer and singer-when the Colonel negotiated contracts which did not give any ownership of the creative works of Elvis.....that is an unescapeble point and fact.
    You can not highlight ELVIS without the basis of his career..... the music
    To constantly chastise someone for not having things that are owned and controlled by someone else seems a little unfair no matter how you look at it.
    Maybe I have outlived my time here, I honestly do not understand the villification of EPE, Priscilla and at times Lisa. No one is forced to buy anything, no one has to visit Graceland if they do not want to, no one has to support any product they do not want..but millions do seem to want these products...if you only want to buy the videos or specials that come out every 8-10 years-that is your right.
    If anyone has some magical solution to acquiring the Elvis recorded material from Sony-and the films and outtakes from Warner, Paramount, Fox etc speak up-send those suggestions to EPE.
    But unless you have a seller-you can not be a buyer...and no one is selling the music and films the heart of Elvis the artist.
    Work in Progress!

OK, I'll give up after this post because our minds work very differently and will never come to an understanding. You have the strange ability to always find reasons that wouldn't allow do things in a better way and I believe that there are always ways to do them much better. I'm not saying that they should release footage illegally or that there are hours and hours of footage of excellent quality that EPE don't want to release. You asked what would it be their source to get new material and I asnwered that if STAR can find it they sure could. And you know that not everything that is released by little labels is illegal.

I know that copyright is a problem with some footage, especially when music is involved, but in all these years many interesting stuff like TV station footage archives, hotel footage and picture archives or fan home movies recorded in the street have seen the light. It's a mystery to me how simple fans can find interesting stuff and rare information that EPE doesn't seem to be able to locate. You only have to visit, for example FECC, to know that's completely true, and even some fan tribute videos on YouTube are far better than many made by EPE.

And to end this little debate, wich I know won't get anywhere , I have to say that it is not my job to find magical solutions for EPE, at least not for free. But there are many reason why EPE is "vilified" by some fans. From their corporative identity to their communication policy there many things they should improve. They practice an almost unidirectional PR thechnique and spread too much publicity giving a very self-interested image that repel many fans. Giving valuable content to their external public is not their priority as it should be, so they are seen as a cold and money centered firm by many. It is not our fault...

I think you both make some good points. Overall though I think Donut brings up something that is a major problem that I agree with. EPE has turned Elvis into a fictional character almost while sacrificing his artistry. EPE only exists to make money,which is fine. They are a business. It's just that their focus on the bottom line leads them to poor desicions in my opinion. They focus to much on tacky trinkets and stuff. I hate the ducks,potato heads and costumes for dogs and other stuff like that. The stuuf makes lots of money so I guess it's hard to blame them. They at least need to balance it out with products aimed at the serious fan. It's a shame that unofficial sources have delivered some of the best products over the years,STAR included. EPE just probably doesnt think the market would support such releases. Im sure they have more video footage than we realize. The long talked about Anthology project would have been great. That could have been a great project focusing on just how important Elvis really was. EPE doesnt seem to concerned with Elvis' perception to the public as long as it sells. To me the worst was EPE endorsing impersonator's. That made my heart sink. It's all about money unfortunately. I wish Elvis the artist was the first thing people thought of when Elvis was mentioned. Unfortunately that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I think you both make some good points. Overall though I think Donut brings up something that is a major problem that I agree with. EPE has turned Elvis into a fictional character almost while sacrificing his artistry. EPE only exists to make money,which is fine. They are a business. It's just that their focus on the bottom line leads them to poor desicions in my opinion. They focus to much on tacky trinkets and stuff. I hate the ducks,potato heads and costumes for dogs and other stuff like that. The stuuf makes lots of money so I guess it's hard to blame them. They at least need to balance it out with products aimed at the serious fan. It's a shame that unofficial sources have delivered some of the best products over the years,STAR included. EPE just probably doesnt think the market would support such releases. Im sure they have more video footage than we realize. The long talked about Anthology project would have been great. That could have been a great project focusing on just how important Elvis really was. EPE doesnt seem to concerned with Elvis' perception to the public as long as it sells. To me the worst was EPE endorsing impersonator's. That made my heart sink. It's all about money unfortunately. I wish Elvis the artist was the first thing people thought of when Elvis was mentioned. Unfortunately that's not the case.
    And that's not the case in part because like you said EPE doesn't care as long as they make money. I can get to understand that it is the main goal for CKX or CORE Media because they invested good money on EPE and they wanted/want to see major proffits. But they don't have owned EPE from the beginning and it has always been the same. Still, as a fan I don't like how he was and is marketed and I believe they should and could do many things much better. Why do you think they post their news and promotions here and not on other Elvis' message boards? That's not a coincidence at all. They don't post them on other fan's boards because collectors and more "serious" fans don't interest them. They are not and never have been their target audience.

And that's not the case in part because like you said EPE doesn't care as long as they make money. I can get to understand that it is the main goal for CKX or CORE Media because they invested good money on EPE and they wanted/want to see major proffits. But they don't have owned EPE from the beginning and it has always been the same. Still, as a fan I don't like how he was and is marketed and I believe they should and could do many things much better. Why do you think they post their news and promotions here and not on other Elvis' message boards? That's not a coincidence at all. They don't post them on other fan's boards because collectors and more "serious" fans don't interest them. They are not and never have been their target audience.
    Youre right.I think EPE makes most of their money from casual fans.I guess it's just a case of economics.They sell what has the higher profit margin.Really this way of marketing started all the way back in 56 for Elvis.

How would you market him? These other board(s) you speak of, I assume you mean FECC? A message board that takes everything so seriously and where everyone is right or kisses arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    How would you market him? These other board(s) you speak of, I assume you mean FECC? A message board that takes everything so seriously and where everyone is right or kisses arse.
    I'd like to see him marketed like a real artist, like the greatest performer and legend that he is. Just the way he deserves it.

As for the other boards, I'm not anyone to judge the personal behavior of their members and neither is EPE, they are free to do as they please. But the fact is that they all are also Elvis fans that spend money on Elvis material, mostly on stuff that EPE don't provide, and that's why they are not interested in posting their offers and promotions there. It is that simple.

Compare the way Elvis is marketed to the Beatles. Big difference. I would like EPE to get out of the tacky souvenir business.

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Compare the way Elvis is marketed to the Beatles. Big difference. I would like EPE to get out of the tacky souvenir business.
    That won't happen, tacky and weird sells it seems.

I'd like to see him marketed like a real artist, like the greatest performer and legend that he is. Just the way he deserves it.

As for the other boards, I'm not anyone to judge the personal behavior of their members and neither is EPE, they are free to do as they please. But the fact is that they all are also Elvis fans that spend money on Elvis material, mostly on stuff that EPE don't provide, and that's why they are not interested in posting their offers and promotions there. It is that simple.
    How would you do that then? What marketing strategy would you use to market Elvis as the greatest ever?

Initially, I suspect having EPE post here back in the day was a good thing, several years later and it is overkill. I don't buy any of their merchandise or souvenirs and I think most members here don't either.

Those other boards only wish EPE would start posting on their sites and spamming their emails.

The thought seems to be EPE does not care about Elvis the artist-and they should promote him in ways that showcases his artistry.
    I am listening? I have emailed comments to EPE regarding marketing "for free" because I felt they were good suggestions my first suggestion was to try and get the better fan footage that is on the internet for use in videos or projects in the future...that was in 2005. Todd Morgan said in 2006 they are looking for any footage which might be usable for future projects.....they are doing this-yet its ignored in the debate.
    They have promoted his artistry in ways that "cost big bucks" and were not easily done-yet those cases are just ignored in the debate.
    EIC cost big money to put together and tour the world. Getting full rights to the 68 and Aloha Specials took years of work to finally get the total rights to all the footage-it was not cheap.....the box sets EPE put out were well done and I am happy they bought them and showcased Elvis the artist.
    Elvis the artist "SHOULD HAVE OWNED HIS ARTISTRY" he did not-that is not EPEs fault nor Lisas.
    It is so easy, so so easy to say "They should promote Elvis the artist" on a forum-with no real plan, no real insight into how hard it is to promote a dead artist-without owning his lifes recorded work and his film career.
    Souvenirs and Graceland ticket sales are what provides, not just profit for EPE/Apollo and Lisa, it provides the monetary backbone to do things like EIC, Viva Elvis, The traveling exhibit in Brazil, the special exhibit at the Beatles Liverpool museum, and the TV specials that every 8-10 years are produced by EPE, the deal to create the virtual Elvis that was signed a few years back, or the owning of the other specials I have mentioned.
    Can anyone actually question that all these things which take years of planning and money to accomplish are not promoting Elvis and his great artistry? IF they are not someone explain to me how they are not!
    Nothing in life is perfect...Elvis was not perfect and he'd be the first to say so. Elvis the artist did not balk at Parker selling the hundreds of trinkets and merchandise from 1956 on-Elvis made money from the selling of those trinkets all too numerous to name once again....Elvis the artist signed to make films and made a lot of money...and he knew that the bulk were just the same story different location, different occupation with songs.
    Elvis the artist knew that there was a side of show business that had nothing to do with "artistry" and everything to do with "profit" and for most of the time he accepted that fact (and cashed the checks)
    Elvis left his wishes for what mattered to him in his will (I can not say that enough-its a fact) he never mentioned
    "fans"
    never mentioned
    "his artistry"
    he never mentioned
    "Do not market me in this manner.........."
    He mentioned taking care of LISA-and beyond that he was happy with "Anything goes to that purpose"
    Lisa did not write the will, Priscilla did not right that will-nor did Vernon.
    Fair is fair-that is all I am saying..... there are limits to what you can do without the essence of the artistry (that is not owned)
    I am willing to understand-why things are done as they are-and just not blanket everything that is done as - horrible marketing.
    I will say again I do not buy trinkets, I do not buy shower curtains with Elvis on them......but millions of sincere fans want-this stuff.
    Elvis cashed his checks for over 200 products that Parker put out in his name-the precedent was set back then.
    IF Parker had put his efforts into owning the music and films-then the precedent would have not mattered.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    How would you do that then? What marketing strategy would you use to market Elvis as the greatest ever?

Initially, I suspect having EPE post here back in the day was a good thing, several years later and it is overkill. I don't buy any of their merchandise or souvenirs and I think most members here don't either.

Those other boards only wish EPE would start posting on their sites and spamming their emails.
    A marketing strategy is not something you think, decide and write in a few seconds on a piece of paper. It takes a lot of investigation, analysis and evaluation and Elvis career had so many different angles and cool facets to "exploit" as ways to market him. Same aplies to the many target segments that could be interested in every one of those Elvis' facets, it's a whole world of possibilities to consider. But the basis of marketing is trying to give the target what they need and wish and it is obvious that there are many unsatisfied fans. Do their merchandise sell? You bet it does, but it's not doing much good to Elvis as an artist or to his image which in the long run will probably be a problem for them. In fact, I believe it already is. In just a few years EPE has been for sale 3 times.

At least they could dig harder, provide more interesting and stilyng stuff and try to satisfy the many fans that are not interested in what they have to offer most of the time. Oh, and make a huge bonfire and burn all the ducks and tacky stuff

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The thought seems to be EPE does not care about Elvis the artist-and they should promote him in ways that showcases his artistry.
    I am listening? I have emailed comments to EPE regarding marketing "for free" because I felt they were good suggestions my first suggestion was to try and get the better fan footage that is on the internet for use in videos or projects in the future...that was in 2005. Todd Morgan said in 2006 they are looking for any footage which might be usable for future projects.....they are doing this-yet its ignored in the debate.
    They have promoted his artistry in ways that "cost big bucks" and were not easily done-yet those cases are just ignored in the debate.
    EIC cost big money to put together and tour the world. Getting full rights to the 68 and Aloha Specials took years of work to finally get the total rights to all the footage-it was not cheap.....the box sets EPE put out were well done and I am happy they bought them and showcased Elvis the artist.
    Elvis the artist "SHOULD HAVE OWNED HIS ARTISTRY" he did not-that is not EPEs fault nor Lisas.
    It is so easy, so so easy to say "They should promote Elvis the artist" on a forum-with no real plan, no real insight into how hard it is to promote a dead artist-without owning his lifes recorded work and his film career.
    Souvenirs and Graceland ticket sales are what provides, not just profit for EPE/Apollo and Lisa, it provides the monetary backbone to do things like EIC, Viva Elvis, The traveling exhibit in Brazil, the special exhibit at the Beatles Liverpool museum, and the TV specials that every 8-10 years are produced by EPE, the deal to create the virtual Elvis that was signed a few years back, or the owning of the other specials I have mentioned.
    Can anyone actually question that all these things which take years of planning and money to accomplish are not promoting Elvis and his great artistry? IF they are not someone explain to me how they are not!
    Nothing in life is perfect...Elvis was not perfect and he'd be the first to say so. Elvis the artist did not balk at Parker selling the hundreds of trinkets and merchandise from 1956 on-Elvis made money from the selling of those trinkets all too numerous to name once again....Elvis the artist signed to make films and made a lot of money...and he knew that the bulk were just the same story different location, different occupation with songs.
    Elvis the artist knew that there was a side of show business that had nothing to do with "artistry" and everything to do with "profit" and for most of the time he accepted that fact (and cashed the checks)
    Elvis left his wishes for what mattered to him in his will (I can not say that enough-its a fact) he never mentioned
    "fans"
    never mentioned
    "his artistry"
    he never mentioned
    "Do not market me in this manner.........."
    He mentioned taking care of LISA-and beyond that he was happy with "Anything goes to that purpose"
    Lisa did not write the will, Priscilla did not right that will-nor did Vernon.
    Fair is fair-that is all I am saying..... there are limits to what you can do without the essence of the artistry (that is not owned)
    I am willing to understand-why things are done as they are-and just not blanket everything that is done as - horrible marketing.
    I will say again I do not buy trinkets, I do not buy shower curtains with Elvis on them......but millions of sincere fans want-this stuff.
    Elvis cashed his checks for over 200 products that Parker put out in his name-the precedent was set back then.
    IF Parker had put his efforts into owning the music and films-then the precedent would have not mattered.
    I can 'feel' your frustration Ken, and I'm with you all the way......dont know what people expect EPE to do when they don't own the music.
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

A marketing strategy is not something you think, decide and write in a few seconds on a piece of paper. It takes a lot of investigation, analysis and evaluation and Elvis career had so many different angles and cool facets to "exploit" as ways to market him. Same aplies to the many target segments that could be interested in every one of those Elvis' facets, it's a whole world of possibilities to consider. But the basis of marketing is trying to give the target what they need and wish and it is obvious that there are many unsatisfied fans. Do their merchandise sell? You bet it does, but it's not doing much good to Elvis as an artist or to his image which in the long run will probably be a problem for them. In fact, I believe it already is. In just a few years EPE has been for sale 3 times.

At least they could dig harder, provide more interesting and stilyng stuff and try to satisfy the many fans that are not interested in what they have to offer most of the time. Oh, and make a huge bonfire and burn all the ducks and tacky stuff
    We are on the same page with the trinkets, you start the pile and I'll bring the Zippo.

Anyway, I should've asked you outright instead of going around the houses, but what would you like to see EPE do? In terms of prospective DVDs, CDs, books etc? Anyone can chime in on this, I'm just interested in what lifelong fans would like to see that is in the realm of possibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast