Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If Elvis was alive today

Re: If Elvis was alive today

Look at Elvis' career the last couple of years when he was alive.We all know the story.Yet the fans packed the stadiums.They didnt care about the superficial.Elvis wasnt recording the best music anymore.he didnt look his best and his shows suffered.Still the fans always supported him.Some may underestimate just how many people truly loved that guy.The bond between Elvis and his fans is different than any other performers I think.Elvis had a quality that just drew people to him.Thats something he never lost right up until the end.That's a quality he didnt learn or develop on his own.He was just gifted with it.I got to talk to Ed Enoch of the Stamps quartet a couple of years ago.I asked him why he thought so many people still care for Elvis.He said whatever the quality is that makes somebody likeable,Elvis had truckloads of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    As much as it was a possibility that Elvis would have got himself into shape and had a career resurgence it is also possible that he could have remained where he was when he died.

I could also see a scenario where Elvis is still playing Vegas, still recording for RCA and still being managed by Colonel Parker in the early 1980s.

and they don't have a career comeback.There are a lot of entertainers that as they get older they became hasbeens

When Elvis died it made a lot of people look back on his life and talk more about his impact on music and popular culture.

Had he not died it is a possibility that the public and the media could have took Elvis for granted and wouldn't acknowlege his accomplishments as much.It's not so much that i doubt his legacy or that his fans would it's more the media and the publics recognition.
    Elvis was not "a lot of entertainers" as I said he was one of a kind-unique, intensely different....that makes the difference in comparing him to "a lot of entertainers"...
    I think in order to look at anything that has a history behind it-you must examine that history as a reference for the possibilities for that thing down the road.
    I would give the odds of Elvis becoming a hasbeen-a 3% chance if he had lived...based upon the history I have already shown in other posts.
    Fabian became a hasbeen, so did Bobby Rydell, Gene Pitney, The Flamingos, The Four Tops, and a thousand other hitmakers since 1956....Elvis was not a follower "he led" and leaders do not fall by the way side whether they are still leading or whether they are now more background- but still moving forward.
    The legacy was always intact-every entertainer at some point is taken for granted, there career ebbs and people forget for a time the greatness-but its that greatness that springs back into action in some form that reminds people of how important those people have been and continue to be.
    When Elvis died Geraldo Rivera said he had to convince ABC news to open with the story of Elvis' death-he told them you do not have a real understanding the importance of Elvis Presley life and career, to not just popular music but to international culture on all fronts.....and indeed the outpouring of public mourning and respect for Elvis' cultural significance was exactly as Rivera told ABC it would be.
    After the 68 special the next day in school the "watercooler talk" was ELVIS and how great he sounded, how thin he was...the great leather suit etc.....ELVIS surprised everyone and each deep hole his career got into.....he surprised us. FACT
    I am not just leaning toward how special he was compared to hundreds of other cultural figures from any decade-I am absolutely convinced.
    So whether he died at 42 or lived to 100 for most thinking knowledgeable people his accomplishments and significance would always be seen.
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

You might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Elvis was not "a lot of entertainers" as I said he was one of a kind-unique, intensely different....that makes the difference in comparing him to "a lot of entertainers"...
    I think in order to look at anything that has a history behind it-you must examine that history as a reference for the possibilities for that thing down the road.
    I would give the odds of Elvis becoming a hasbeen-a 3% chance if he had lived...based upon the history I have already shown in other posts.
    Fabian became a hasbeen, so did Bobby Rydell, Gene Pitney, The Flamingos, The Four Tops, and a thousand other hitmakers since 1956....Elvis was not a follower "he led" and leaders do not fall by the way side whether they are still leading or whether they are now more background- but still moving forward.
    The legacy was always intact-every entertainer at some point is taken for granted, there career ebbs and people forget for a time the greatness-but its that greatness that springs back into action in some form that reminds people of how important those people have been and continue to be.
    When Elvis died Geraldo Rivera said he had to convince ABC news to open with the story of Elvis' death-he told them you do not have a real understanding the importance of Elvis Presley life and career, to not just popular music but to international culture on all fronts.....and indeed the outpouring of public mourning and respect for Elvis' cultural significance was exactly as Rivera told ABC it would be.
    After the 68 special the next day in school the "watercooler talk" was ELVIS and how great he sounded, how thin he was...the great leather suit etc.....ELVIS surprised everyone and each deep hole his career got into.....he surprised us. FACT
    I am not just leaning toward how special he was compared to hundreds of other cultural figures from any decade-I am absolutely convinced.
    So whether he died at 42 or lived to 100 for most thinking knowledgeable people his accomplishments and significance would always be seen.
    100% agree with you, but we have to get clear on this: it all depended on if he was going to get himself together and change managment, of if he was just going to prolongue the agony of his las two years for a whole decade. We knoe how much 7 years of crapy movies and two years of fat ill Elvis damaged his image, and are still issues of pain. If he had lived 10 more years, just to keep sinking, maybe it was better the way it was. But of course, if he had get clean and smart, all of what you said goes my friend, we was to much to fall on the side of the road. He would be as big or bigger as the Stones or Macca are today, and maybe still touring just as them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    100% agree with you, but we have to get clear on this: it all depended on if he was going to get himself together and change managment, of if he was just going to prolongue the agony of his las two years for a whole decade. We knoe how much 7 years of crapy movies and two years of fat ill Elvis damaged his image, and are still issues of pain. If he had lived 10 more years, just to keep sinking, maybe it was better the way it was. But of course, if he had get clean and smart, all of what you said goes my friend, we was to much to fall on the side of the road. He would be as big or bigger as the Stones or Macca are today, and maybe still touring just as them.
    Well as I said-Elvis was never unable "in time" of pulling himself out of the career holes that came along......Elvis was still pretty much in control until after 73...74-75 he began to have problems but still put on good shows and was still recording....after 75 he slipped big time and it was downhill......but it was only 2 years time....he went into the army and was gone 2 years.......it took from 56 to 69 for the deep hole in his career to be dug by the films and soundtracks......it was 4 years of weight gain and musical stagnation from 64 (Beatles invasion) to 68 when he did the 68 Special....Elvis had an innate abilty to eventually bounce back-but his life ran out.....
    Not even Elvis can overcome physical death..but since the "hypothetical premise" is what would he be doing if he were alive today-the logical assumption is he overcame all the troubles and problems he was having during the last few years....health, prescription meds, Parker, hate of recording.... and if he overcame all of these-why should he not have done what he always had-TRIUMPH.
    Its not just wishful thinking-its based on a proven track record. and more charisma than any 100 famous people put together.
    I do not sell Elvis short on talent and charisma which is why.... he was who he was.
    Work in Progress!

Cadillac King

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Look at Elvis' career the last couple of years when he was alive.We all know the story.Yet the fans packed the stadiums.They didnt care about the superficial.Elvis wasnt recording the best music anymore.he didnt look his best and his shows suffered.Still the fans always supported him.Some may underestimate just how many people truly loved that guy.The bond between Elvis and his fans is different than any other performers I think.Elvis had a quality that just drew people to him.Thats something he never lost right up until the end.That's a quality he didnt learn or develop on his own.He was just gifted with it.I got to talk to Ed Enoch of the Stamps quartet a couple of years ago.I asked him why he thought so many people still care for Elvis.He said whatever the quality is that makes somebody likeable,Elvis had truckloads of it.

I agree, Jak.

Elvis was real, he genuinely cared, and people picked that up. They sensed the goodness in him. Elvisb was unique as not many people are genuinely like that, i.e. placing other's first, and meaning it.

It would have been difficult, if not impossible, to know whom to trust. Actions speak louder than words.

Cadillac King

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Not even the living legends have a spectacular career from the beginning to the end. Many of them have "stains" in their careers and personal lives, but it doesn't really matter when they have real talent. Elvis like everyone else would have evolved and changed with times. More than 30 years would have passed so he would have learned at least a little from his mistakes and see many things differently, that's what happens to us humans!
    Well said, again Donut

We are all human

Well as I said-Elvis was never unable "in time" of pulling himself out of the career holes that came along......Elvis was still pretty much in control until after 73...74-75 he began to have problems but still put on good shows and was still recording....after 75 he slipped big time and it was downhill......but it was only 2 years time....he went into the army and was gone 2 years.......it took from 56 to 69 for the deep hole in his career to be dug by the films and soundtracks......it was 4 years of weight gain and musical stagnation from 64 (Beatles invasion) to 68 when he did the 68 Special....Elvis had an innate abilty to eventually bounce back-but his life ran out.....
    Not even Elvis can overcome physical death..but since the "hypothetical premise" is what would he be doing if he were alive today-the logical assumption is he overcame all the troubles and problems he was having during the last few years....health, prescription meds, Parker, hate of recording.... and if he overcame all of these-why should he not have done what he always had-TRIUMPH.
    Its not just wishful thinking-its based on a proven track record. and more charisma than any 100 famous people put together.
    I do not sell Elvis short on talent and charisma which is why.... he was who he was.
    We he get himself together, he was amazing, above all, nobody can get close to him, that for sure, but it is true that for some complex reasons, he was to often unable to get himself together, I think that was the big tragedy of his life, and the great tension between victory or loosing it all that makes his persona so interesting.

To me he won, he might have lost many battles, but oh boy he won, he was Elvis, he still is Elvis, he was who he was and that was good enough incluiding all the failures. I'm pretty sure if he had lived, he wouldn't been another happy go lucky Macca, demons, falls and comebacks would have been the pattern, and we can't tell if tragedy again, some 10 or 15 years latter would have been his inevitable faith, or if he would have win against his demons for sure and get old happy shooting at his HD huge smart TV. We like to think that, we like to think that a '78 comeback was to happen, looking great again, going into a new unexpected direction again, puching his own limits again, doing the greatest music and concerts ever again, just being Elvis this summer, cutting some blues, country, touring the south, saying he would tour europe next year, this time he will do... he's being promising that as usual, but haven't done it yet. Not since his 2003 world tour, but we know he takes a while to make up his mind and get it together, but he will, just one more time, -before I get to old- as he said back in '68.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 06-14-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Cool Re: If Elvis was alive today

I would love it, if Elvis kicked some major butt over on that rotten FECC site, and straightened some of the so called "people" out on that site, although there seem's to be at least a few people that were decent there?????!!!!!

Cool Re: If Elvis was alive today

If he were still here-that would mean a change in lifestyle...and in that case I think his life would have made a huge turn...so its hard to imagine what might have transpired in his life in the over 3 decades since 77.
    I would like to think he was still able to put on a special show here and there and that he had kept up with changing times and music.
    He always did!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nolvis View Post
    I would love it, if Elvis kicked some major butt over on that rotten FECC site, and straightened some of the so called "people" out on that site, although there seem's to be at least a few people that were decent there?????!!!!!
    would be great to see him sort out some of the 'know-it-alls' over there. However, there'd be someone arguing with him too
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

What if's are so sad in the Elvis world, because he was taken at such a young age from Us.

I sometimes feel after reading alot that sometimes he had trouble with staying content with his life, he alot of the times got down about his life, I would like to think in a perfect world he lived, got cleaned up, ditched Parker, and the whole Diskin camp and got new management, more current, cut music he loved, didn't matter he his people were getting part of the action, married again, settled down, and toured around the world a few times ever so often.

Regardless, if he lived, his height imo would've just grown, Elvis wasn't your average singer, or entertainer, thats what you got to remember.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained Melody View Post
    What if's are so sad in the Elvis world, because he was taken at such a young age from Us.

I sometimes feel after reading alot that sometimes he had trouble with staying content with his life, he alot of the times got down about his life, I would like to think in a perfect world he lived, got cleaned up, ditched Parker, and the whole Diskin camp and got new management, more current, cut music he loved, didn't matter he his people were getting part of the action, married again, settled down, and toured around the world a few times ever so often.

Regardless, if he lived, his height imo would've just grown, Elvis wasn't your average singer, or entertainer, thats what you got to remember.
    "Elvis wasn't your average singer, or entertainer, thats what you got to remember."
    Amen!
    I'll Remember You!!!

I wonder what would have happened with all the nuts that told us their fantasy connections to Elvis. I guess they all would be close friends and confidents of Michael Jackson instead.

I wonder what would have happened with all the nuts that told us their fantasy connections to Elvis. I guess they all would be close friends and confidents of Michael Jackson instead.
    Did I ever mention I had a connection to Scatter?

Did I ever mention I had a connection to Scatter?
    Was it you who helped him fake his death?

Was it you who helped him fake his death?
    No, Im the guy who taught him to drink whiskey and run around lifting women's skirts.

No, Im the guy who taught him to drink whiskey and run around lifting women's skirts.
    If just Scatter could talk... Im sure it is Alanna Nash' secret dream.

Im guessing Scatter saw and heard enough to fill a few books while he was running around the house.

Yes it would be nice to have an end put to those people...they come out of the walls periodically and are so tiresome!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast