Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 101

Thread: If Elvis was alive today

  1. #21
    TCB Mafia jak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.C. USA
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I don't agree with that. There are many artists in their 70's and 80's that still keep their charisma and popularity, and there are a few who are more popular now than when they were young, like Morgan Freeman for example. It's true that Elvis wouldn't be young and physically perfect and young girls wouldn't kill to meet him like when he was 30, but he would still be a living legend, probably more respected and admired now than then. There are many examples of that, Mike Jagger, Paul Mccartney, Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, Jack Nicholson... the list is endless.
    Good post. You are exactly right. Elvis was never going to be the guy next door. I dont care how old he got. His legendary status would always preceede him. There is a reason people still care about him after all these years.The fans never deserted Elvis right up until the end.Every fan I know would have hoped they had the chance to see Elvis grow old and live a full life.If he was alive the devotion to him would probably be even greater than it is now.

  2. #22
    Tupelo Cake Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Good post. You are exactly right. Elvis was never going to be the guy next door. I dont care how old he got. His legendary status would always preceede him. There is a reason people still care about him after all these years.The fans never deserted Elvis right up until the end.Every fan I know would have hoped they had the chance to see Elvis grow old and live a full life.If he was alive the devotion to him would probably be even greater than it is now.
    Exactly. He is a key figure in the history of music and getting old wouldn't take that away from him, quite the opposite. Once physic beauty and fan craziness wear off many artist are more respected by their careers than when they were young.
    _________________

  3. #23
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    282

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Exactly. He is a key figure in the history of music and getting old wouldn't take that away from him, quite the opposite. Once physic beauty and fan craziness wear off many artist are more respected by their careers than when they were young.

    Great posts, thank you.

  4. #24
    Tupelo Cake Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    Great posts, thank you.
    Thanks, Turbo.
    _________________

  5. #25
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I don't agree with that. There are many artists in their 70's and 80's that still keep their charisma and popularity, and there are a few who are more popular now than when they were young, like Morgan Freeman for example. It's true that Elvis wouldn't be young and physically perfect and young girls wouldn't kill to meet him like when he was 30, but he would still be a living legend, probably more respected and admired now than then. There are many examples of that, Mike Jagger, Paul Mccartney, Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, Jack Nicholson... the list is endless.
    I agree with every word. He will always have a huge fan base. He wouldn't have looked as he did when he was young or course but he still would have been handsome. Look at his Dad, Vernon aged very well until close to the end and Elvis talent has never died even after all these years.

  6. #26
    TCB Mafia debtdbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ilkley, Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    I agree he would still have a fan base, be a legend etc....

    but its so much harder for a Man regarded as such a sex symbol to age.......if they die young, they are eternally 'youthful' and in their prime
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

  7. #27
    TCB Mafia jak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.C. USA
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Elvis was much more than a sex symbol. He was the perfect package. Everything just seemed perfect with him. He had enough charisma for a dozen performers. Elvis never would have faded because of age. He was an important part of so many peoples lives that never even met the man. Elvis was one of a kind. I dont think the usual rules apply to him.

  8. #28
    TCB Mafia kathy parkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,349

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Spot on Jak,
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Elvis was much more than a sex symbol. He was the perfect package. Everything just seemed perfect with him. He had enough charisma for a dozen performers. Elvis never would have faded because of age. He was an important part of so many peoples lives that never even met the man. Elvis was one of a kind. I dont think the usual rules apply to him.

  9. #29
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I don't agree with that. There are many artists in their 70's and 80's that still keep their charisma and popularity, and there are a few who are more popular now than when they were young, like Morgan Freeman for example. It's true that Elvis wouldn't be young and physically perfect and young girls wouldn't kill to meet him like when he was 30, but he would still be a living legend, probably more respected and admired now than then. There are many examples of that, Mike Jagger, Paul Mccartney, Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, Jack Nicholson... the list is endless.
    Exactly correct-Paul McCartney is 70-still vibrant when he plays still vocally on top of his game-his tours sell out worldwide.
    I just saw Ringo Starr promoting a book of unpublished Beatle photos-still looks great, still tours still drums.
    Tom Jones still tours hes around 73-hes not the hip shaker he was-but puts on a good show.
    Mick Jagger is remarkable in his ability to still ROCK-he has not slowed up much at all and hes over 70.
    There is a tendency to think past 60-over the hill (for some its 50) but thats a stereotype-that in 2013 is just not proper.
    Thats like saying all people under 40 are immature and reckless with no idea of responsibility...still living at home unde mom and dads care...sure there are some like that-but not all by a long shot.
    Talent and charisma are not bound by age......Elvis had both...IF he had lived they were not going anywhere...he vocally improved every year he was alive.
    Sinatra lost some breath control in his last years of live perfoming-but in the studio he still put out impressive albums including a couple of Duets albums that sold big.
    Elvis like McCartney, like Jagger, like Sinatra could have still been performing still a great entertainer.
    Work in Progress!

  10. #30
    TCB Mafia Raised on Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,129

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Exactly correct-Paul McCartney is 70-still vibrant when he plays still vocally on top of his game-his tours sell out worldwide.
    I just saw Ringo Starr promoting a book of unpublished Beatle photos-still looks great, still tours still drums.
    Tom Jones still tours hes around 73-hes not the hip shaker he was-but puts on a good show.
    Mick Jagger is remarkable in his ability to still ROCK-he has not slowed up much at all and hes over 70.
    There is a tendency to think past 60-over the hill (for some its 50) but thats a stereotype-that in 2013 is just not proper.
    Thats like saying all people under 40 are immature and reckless with no idea of responsibility...still living at home unde mom and dads care...sure there are some like that-but not all by a long shot.
    Talent and charisma are not bound by age......Elvis had both...IF he had lived they were not going anywhere...he vocally improved every year he was alive.
    Sinatra lost some breath control in his last years of live perfoming-but in the studio he still put out impressive albums including a couple of Duets albums that sold big.
    Elvis like McCartney, like Jagger, like Sinatra could have still been performing still a great entertainer.
    Bob Dylan still puts out records and tours non stop, now sure, Dylan, Jagger, McCartney are all some 5-7 years younger than Elvis, well that might only means Elvis might have slowed down a bit theses days but not during the last decade, and who knows, Leonard Cohen is Elvis's age and still put and album and toured last and he is doing great.

    Now sure, people like Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry, totally became corny oldies but goodies, but still, they became like that since the late 60's, while Elvis proved it wasn't going to be like that at all for him, except for his last two years of touring. So... I guess, it all have to do if he had chaged managment, and in which direction the new managment have taken him during the 80's and early 90's.

    I would have love Elvis to put a series of albums like Johnny Cash American Recordings, that would have been enough.

    .
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 06-13-2013 at 11:05 AM.

  11. #31
    I'm only Your elvia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Poland - Europe
    Posts
    6,076

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I don't agree with that. There are many artists in their 70's and 80's that still keep their charisma and popularity, and there are a few who are more popular now than when they were young, like Morgan Freeman for example. It's true that Elvis wouldn't be young and physically perfect and young girls wouldn't kill to meet him like when he was 30, but he would still be a living legend, probably more respected and admired now than then. There are many examples of that, Mike Jagger, Paul Mccartney, Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, Jack Nicholson... the list is endless.
    I agree with you when it comes to a lot of 'stars'.
    But Elvis was a phenomenon, being Elvis was very hard.
    Besides Elvis Beside the fact that he was a great artist was very weak mentally.
    I can not imagine that he could live longer.
    Remember what is written on the gravestone " God saw that He needed some rest...."

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I agree with every word. He will always have a huge fan base. He wouldn't have looked as he did when he was young or course but he still would have been handsome. Look at his Dad, Vernon aged very well until close to the end and Elvis talent has never died even after all these years.
    Agree with you Dee, without a doubt. He will always be with us!

    Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    I agree he would still have a fan base, be a legend etc....

    but its so much harder for a Man regarded as such a sex symbol to age.......if they die young, they are eternally 'youthful' and in their prime
    Especially when Elvis was very sensitive about his appearance.
    What is understood at this UNIQUE HARM.
    I'll Remember You!!!

  12. #32
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    A lot of people share Viva Elvis' view on this.

    I think it really depends on how Elvis' career would have proceeded had he not died.

    If Elvis was still playing Vegas, still fat and still recording for RCA in the 1980s then i shudder to think what his legacy would be like now.

    I think the 1980s had the potential to be a very good decade for Elvis but only if he had a record deal with another label and a younger more creative management team behind him.

    Dick Grob talked about Elvis' future plans at a fan convention in Las Vegas a few years ago and the plans Elvis had sounded good.

  13. #33
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    A lot of people share Viva Elvis' view on this.

    I think it really depends on how Elvis' career would have proceeded had he not died.If Elvis was still playing Vegas, still fat and still recording for RCA in the 1980s then i shudder to think what his legacy would be like now.

    I think the 1980s had the potential to be a very good decade for Elvis but only if he had a record deal with another label and a younger more creative management team behind him.

    Dick Grob talked about Elvis' future plans at a fan convention in Las Vegas a few years ago and the plans Elvis had sounded good.
    Elvis was one of a kind-and one of a kind artists have careers that really never end.
    Elvis' voice evolved from 1953 to his death into a much wider range and ability no one can say his vocal prowess diminished-it grew way beyond the normal singer of rock (and most other musical genres) so I think his talent and charisma would always win the day nomatter the situation or circumstance.
    Sinatra was hot as anyone could be in the 1940s, entered the 50s as a superstar-then his career crashed right before the rock era began...he lost his singing voice for a time..he was considered washed up...and had some hard years till the late 50s. But Sinatra prevailed and his career grew as did his legacy-even though it was not all a bed of roses for the length of his career.
    I have said this many times-Elvis was considered a flash in the pan in 56...proven wrong, when he went into the Army many thought that would be the end of his huge appeal...proven wrong.....the travelogue like films were seen as the end of his rock career-proven wrong...the Beatles invasion the huge change in tone and direction of popular music were seen as the final nail in Elvis' career-proven wrong.
    Elvis evolved and sometimes he did it the hard way-fighting bad management, his own personal demons and his own insecurities but he always triumphed in the end......I'm sorry but the idea that he somehow would have fallen by the wayside is IMO just ignoring all he overcame...each time his career was considered over.
    He was not a flash in the pan-like dozens of other rock pop artists in the 50s and 60s.
    Elvis was a true charismatic vocal genuis who transcends era, time or musical catagory and he was (and is in death) one of a kind...the rules for one of a kind type people in history are not the same-they move outside the box of normal thinking and logic.
    No one can say for certain what Elvis might be doing had he lived beyond 77-but I can say for certain he would not have somehow become an opening act for some bigger artist or that he would be driving in a bus from gig to gig to pay his bills.....his legacy was, is, and- will always be intact because he was one of a kind.
    How anyone can doubt the inevitability of his legacy....after reflection on his career and accomplishments before he died....is to doubt the uniqueness of ELVIS.
    Work in Progress!

  14. #34
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    282

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Have you guys forgotten that he would be 78 years old? I doubt seriously that he would still be performing at any level. Much less still alive due to his past health issues and lifestyle.

    I used to think years ago that when the "Elvis Is Alive" stories came out in the late 80's that he was actually alive somewhere still breathing the air that we breathe and was going to come back stronger than ever. But as time passed, I came to the realization that he wasn't and has left this earth.

    But for his popularity, maybe it's a good thing he didn't live to be 78. People idolize Elvis because of his King-like image and good looks and charisma. They wouldn't see that had he'd grown old and wrinkled. He would have been seen just as all other old timers are.

    Some people are still fit and going well in their 80's, it all depends on their level of interest in life, genetics, fitness, and how they have maintained themselves physically and mentally.

    It is heartbreaking that Elvis isn't still with us, especially if he was happy and content. I always hoped too, that he was alive, so very much and agree with you.

    I disagree with your last paragraph, perhaps you are Generation Y. There are a lot of talented people in the world with dreadful personalities. Most people aren't as attractive as Elvis and he would still be extremely good looking because his face wouldn't age with the wrong lines, as he inside, didn't think badly, he thought of others.

    Elvis was a good man, a very good man, we know this through his actions. Elvis, professionally, was a trailblazer without anyone to whom he could truly relate to on all levels, which is sad. If he did, perhaps things may have played out differently, as everyone needs someone to talk to and to relate with, he didn't have that and it is something he said that he craved his entire life. I don't think anyone, unless in his shoes, can make an accurate judgement on his state of mind, unless they spent a lot of time with him and knew him, personally. Even then, you can't really know anyone.

    Jeez, if someone has wrinkles and are older they are a lesser person in your eyes? (Non rhetorical question, really).

  15. #35
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    282

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Thank you, KPM, well said.

  16. #36
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    282

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    I agree he would still have a fan base, be a legend etc....

    but its so much harder for a Man regarded as such a sex symbol to age.......if they die young, they are eternally 'youthful' and in their prime

    I see your point.

    In my case, he would still be a sexy in my eyes, personality and how you treat others is what is sexy to me.

  17. #37
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    282

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    What exactly did I say that was so wrong in your eyes? There's no denying that Elvis would have been old. Plain and simple. Sadly his drug abuse from the 70's would have made him look even older than he actually would be. Look at Ozzie Osborne for a good example of what drugs can do to someone over time. I'm not saying that Elvis would have looked like the walking dead, but he certainly wouldn't be that young vibrant Elvis that the world has locked into their mind.

    I don't think Ozzie Osborne is a good example, he fried his brain. He is a true junkie on illegal drugs, and perhaps alcohol, too, I don't know.

    Paul McCartney was taking drugs or smoking, and he still looks fine. I think we'd all be horrified at how many people take drugs, which saddens me, really.

    That said, drugs do age people dreadfully, as does, especially, from my observations, alcohol. People get this hard look to their skin. I am 120 years old, lol, and you wouldn't know it! lol

  18. #38
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    How anyone can doubt the inevitability of his legacy....after reflection on his career and accomplishments before he died....is to doubt the uniqueness of ELVIS.
    As much as it was a possibility that Elvis would have got himself into shape and had a career resurgence it is also possible that he could have remained where he was when he died.

    I could also see a scenario where Elvis is still playing Vegas, still recording for RCA and still being managed by Colonel Parker in the early 1980s.

    There are a lot of entertainers that as they get older they became hasbeens and they don't have a career comeback.

    When Elvis died it made a lot of people look back on his life and talk more about his impact on music and popular culture.

    Had he not died it is a possibility that the public and the media could have took Elvis for granted and wouldn't acknowlege his accomplishments as much.

    It's not so much that i doubt his legacy or that his fans would it's more the media and the publics recognition.

  19. #39
    TCB Mafia debtdbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ilkley, Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    As much as it was a possibility that Elvis would have got himself into shape and had a career resurgence it is also possible that he could have remained where he was when he died.

    I could also see a scenario where Elvis is still playing Vegas, still recording for RCA and still being managed by Colonel Parker in the early 1980s.

    There are a lot of entertainers that as they get older they became hasbeens and they don't have a career comeback.

    When Elvis died it made a lot of people look back on his life and talk more about his impact on music and popular culture.

    Had he not died it is a possibility that the public and the media could have took Elvis for granted and wouldn't acknowlege his accomplishments as much.

    It's not so much that i doubt his legacy or that his fans would it's more the media and the publics recognition.

    bingo...........
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

  20. #40
    Tupelo Cake Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: If Elvis was alive today

    Not even the living legends have a spectacular career from the beginning to the end. Many of them have "stains" in their careers and personal lives, but it doesn't really matter when they have real talent. Elvis like everyone else would have evolved and changed with times. More than 30 years would have passed so he would have learned at least a little from his mistakes and see many things differently, that's what happens to us humans!
    _________________

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. If Elvis Were Alive Today....
    By nabelt24 in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 07:32 PM
  2. If Elvis were still alive today would he..........
    By TCBinAZ in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 09:54 PM
  3. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 09:22 AM
  4. Elvis' Hairstyle If Alive Today?
    By nabelt24 in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2006, 01:47 AM
  5. If Elvis Presley was still alive today...
    By veronik in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 11:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •