Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Colonel Parker Managed Elvis’ Career, but Was He a Killer on the Lam?

TCB Mafia

Re: Colonel Parker Managed Elvis’ Career, but Was He a Killer on the Lam?

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Well the probate judge cited that most entertainers pay 10-15% to their managers and was appalled that Parker was getting upwards of 50% depending on the type deal-no manager should end up with more than the artist-and in some instances that was exactly the case.......10% is actually the accepted rate for decades among legit managers...25% was uncalled for....especially now with hindsight we see how much Parker was getting in his side deals and "technical advisor and paid consultant fees"
    I saw Arnold on the Tonight show in the 60s and he did not seem "friendly" toward Parker while talking with Carson-I do not recall his exact words when asked about Parker but the basic meaning I got was Parker was in the past and I don't want to discuss him.
    That was the first time I realized Parker had been Arnolds manager.
    Colonel Parker started getting 50% in 1967 prior to that he was getting 25%.

For some agents they get 20% off some of their clients while others get 10%.

25% was a little high but it was the same thing the Colonel had gotten from Eddy Arnold and Hank Snow and unlike other managers he only managed one client at a time.

If you still think 25% was too much and Elvis shouldn't have agreed to it that's fine.

I would think Parker was getting extra money from the movie studios to be a consultant and not from Elvis' cut.

50% was outrageous Elvis should have never agreed to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Colonel Parker started getting 50% in 1967 prior to that he was getting 25%.

For some agents they get 20% off some of their clients while others get 10%.

25% was a little high but it was the same thing the Colonel had gotten from Eddy Arnold and Hank Snow and unlike other managers he only managed one client at a time.

If you still think 25% was too much and Elvis shouldn't have agreed to it that's fine.

I would think Parker was getting extra money from the movie studios to be a consultant and not from Elvis' cut.50% was outrageous Elvis should have never agreed to that.
    Snow was a partner with Parker on many projects so I would doubt Snow gave 25% to Parker but since they were partners in so many things its hard to figure where the partnership ended and his management began-and he cheated Snow-Snow hated him for the rest of his life for lying and cheating him out of his share in Elvis' management....just as he conned Neal.....sorry those are things which stand out-they show willful knowledgeable actions to one goal-sole monetary control of Elvis and his career.

Arnold fired him-that does not show confidence in his years as Arnolds manager-it shows that Arnold caught up with him.

Parker getting extra money from the studios, RCA, The Hilton Hotels etc....was on top of the money Elvis paid him as manager to negotiate contracts for Elvis with-the studios, RCA, The Hilton Hotels etc......and it is not legal-you can not represent someone in negotiations and then turn around and be a consultant to the other side......its that simple-its called conflict of interest and Parker did it all the time.
    The reason its not legal is in being a "paid and perked consultant" you have a dual interest in the negotiations-because you are paid by your primary client and also paid by the firms you negotiate with for your client....its not fair to your client.
    IE the firms Parker was a "paid and perked consultant" got better deals because of the financial fees paid to him as a consultant.
    The judge reviewed many of those contracts and found that was the case.
    The top of irony is that when the judge ordered the estate to sue Parker his first defense was that he could not be sued in a US court because he was not a US citizen-how ironic is that
    I will say this-if Parker had really been fair to Elvis-had not manipulated and controled him so closely, and if he had negotiated with no consultant fees in his back pocket...maybe his 50% might have been warranted-but we all know that is not how Parker represented Elvis....so 50% is not just outrageous it borders on criminal.
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Snow was a partner with Parker on many projects so I would doubt Snow gave 25% to Parker but since they were partners in so many things its hard to figure where the partnership ended and his management began-and he cheated Snow-Snow hated him for the rest of his life for lying and cheating him out of his share in Elvis' management....just as he conned Neal.....sorry those are things which stand out-they show willful knowledgeable actions to one goal-sole monetary control of Elvis and his career.

Arnold fired him-that does not show confidence in his years as Arnolds manager-it shows that Arnold caught up with him.
    i believe it was true that Hank Snow agreed on the 25% commision for Parker to manage him.

He booked Hank Snow's recording sessions, tours, and would have negotiated royalty payments with RCA and other things.

Colonel Parker and Hank Snow co-owned a booking agency in Nashville and i'm not sure how they split that money.

As i've mentioned before on this board it is rare for a singer or actor to only have one agent throughout their careers.

Maybe Eddy Arnold could have fired Parker because he wanted to go in a different direction and different managers can have some new ideas.

Eddy Arnold had a few managers over his career.

Frank Sinatra had several managers.

The Rolling Stones have had several different managers.

The list goes on.

As i've also said before Elvis probably should have been on his third manager by 1977 instead of still being managed by Parker.

Eddy Arnold.

I don't know exactly why they split.
    Yes that's him, thank you Brian.

i believe it was true that Hank Snow agreed on the 25% commision for Parker to manage him.

He booked Hank Snow's recording sessions, tours, and would have negotiated royalty payments with RCA and other things.

Colonel Parker and Hank Snow co-owned a booking agency in Nashville and i'm not sure how they split that money.

As i've mentioned before on this board it is rare for a singer or actor to only have one agent throughout their careers.

Maybe Eddy Arnold could have fired Parker because he wanted to go in a different direction and different managers can have some new ideas.

Eddy Arnold had a few managers over his career.

Frank Sinatra had several managers.

The Rolling Stones have had several different managers.

The list goes on.

As i've also said before Elvis probably should have been on his third manager by 1977 instead of still being managed by Parker.
    Yes ....may...be...but given that the firing was so abrupt, so quick, and the firing was not in anyway cordial or a mutual parting at the time don't you think thats very doubtful?
    Also the track record of Parker in hindsight-it shows a path of dishonest and not very moral behavoir in his dealings.
    Put 2 and 2 together and I think its a safe bet that Parker just was not able to hide the questionable things from Arnold-and Arnold was a much firmer man than Elvis-so he fired him.
    Elvis trusted the Colonel unquestionably for most of their association-Arnold did not...thats the difference.
    Work in Progress!

Parker was not your typical agent-he was on the cusp of being a financial "stalker" with every artist he represented in his career.
    Elvis may have stayed at Sun another year-and it would not have changed things much-Elvis would have signed with a bigger record company and his exposure would have gone up-Hollywood would have still seen his face and the reaction to his performances TV and films would still have come along.
    Had Elvis ended up with a "typical Hollywood type agent" it may have actually been better for him IMO.
    He may have got the real acting career he wanted in the long run, he may have been allowed a little more freedom in the creative arena instead of all the "Dont's" the Colonel had in place.
    I totally agree with what you said, KPM. This is why I don't understand why Elvis didn't just stay with Sun a little longer. And it's funny that Vernon, who didn't really trust many people, trusted the Colonel it seems. Otherwise, he would have told Elvis not to sign with the Colonel.

I can understand why Elvis left Sun. Going to a major label had to be a dream come true for him. Think of the poverty he had experienced previously.Elvis was living the American dream.Signing to a label like RCA must have been hard for him to believe.He had made the big time.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I can understand why Elvis left Sun. Going to a major label had to be a dream come true for him. Think of the poverty he had experienced previously.Elvis was living the American dream.Signing to a label like RCA must have been hard for him to believe.He had made the big time.
    Right.

Being on Sun Records was a good thing but it was a small label.

Getting a recording contract with one of the major labels was always the goal.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345