Thread: It get frightened what the impersonators do.

Backstage Pass

It get frightened what the impersonators do.

It get frightened what the impersonators do. Don't like most of them but take a look:

Last edited by Winston; 05-28-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Cadillac King

Re: It get frightened what the impersonators do.

I see your point, Winston, just my opinion - no-one is Elvis, so simply, to me, they should have some dignity and be themselves, and if talented, persue their own career rather than jumping on Elvis' decades of hardwork, talent, and dedication, basically, they are jumping on his shirt tails.

This man in the video overdoes the mannerisms.

To see someone copying Elvis, it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    It get frightened what the impersonators do. Don't like most of them but take a look:

Winston, what point are you trying to make?

Backstage Pass

Well, I wish to know if some of the "Tribute Artists" built her lookout with operations. I wish to know what technical help was used when they performed. I wish to know if they losing there complete singularity as a human being in her life. And so on...

Well, I wish to know if some of the "Tribute Artists" built her lookout with operations. I wish to know what technical help was used when they performed. I wish to know if they losing there complete singularity as a human being in her life. And so on...
    You still haven't explained why Ben Portsmouth "frightens" you.

Backstage Pass

When I look at the two videos I found it frightened how perfect Ben Portsmouth imitating the look and the movements of Elvis. Now film him from a wide distance, get many filters and modern technics to make the film very old and let it look like a 8mm-Film. Or take a very good tribute artist and work technical on his voice. Then use technics to make it sound very old. Now let him sing a unknown song. How many eventualities can a very good engineer do with such sings. Only some thoughts...

When I look at the two videos I found it frightened how perfect Ben Portsmouth imitating the look and the movements of Elvis.
    Why would this frighten you?

Now film him from a wide distance, get many filters and modern technics to make the film very old and let it look like a 8mm-Film. Or take a very good tribute artist and work technical on his voice. Then use technics to make it sound very old.
    Why on earth would anybody bother do all that to these videos?

Now let him sing a unknown song.
    Why would an Elvis Tribute Artist sing an unknown song?

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post
    Be fair and look at your own photo ....

Mr. "The real" - impressive?Cheers!
    Last edited by elvia7; 05-31-2013 at 12:58 AM.
    I'll Remember You!!!

I think the guy does an incredible job studying his subject, and it shows. Theres other tribute artists Im not overly thrilled with performance wise. But it is what it is. Mr. Portsmouth seems to do a class act
    If your an Elvis fan, no explanation is necessary....
    If your not, no explanation is possible!

Backstage Pass

OK! Why do the »Tribute Artists« this kind of thing? Because the fans want it or need it? Because they want do it for Elvis? They want help that people remember Elvis? How much substantiation did they find?

First, they do it because they think with this they find acceptance. But it is so sad because this »Artists« are no Performers. They have not the thing that makes Elvis so great. They have no soul. They are an empty spout.

OK some of them are great in there job but they are sadly in her one-sidedness.

Why not singing songs, Elvis not sing in his concerts to show the audience how great the spectrum of Elvis was? Because the audience don’t want it? On the other hand, is it because then they lost her script and the way to do there role?

Why do this people a »kissing tour« and why do they distribute scarfs? Because Elvis did it? Because they want to do a perfect show? Alternatively, the want to feel a little bit like Elvis?

If this people where good or great they have an own career!

They are nothing in the showbiz without their role they playing and this is sad. When Springsteen, Bono or another of the real great artist sings a song of Elvis then they remember him and do something for him. But »Tribute Artists«? No!

So why am found them frightening? Because some of them are great in that what they doing. Some of them have a realistic look. Some of them have an astonishing voice. I am afraid that they do some things for the big money that is not good for Elvis and his real fans. Recording a song that was selling as a new find. Make an audience recording and let it sound like a tape of the 70s. Playing in a dirty Movie and so on.

NO, I do not like them but some do a great job!

If you don't like tribute artists, don't watch them. There is no reason to be scared because one is portraying his subject well.

I like Spiderman, every opportunity I've ever had to have my photo taken with him, I've done it. Do I believe I'm really with Spiderman? No! It's just some fella dressed up like a fictional cartoon character.

As for a tribute artist appearing in a dirty movie and fooling Elvis fans, good one!

Quote Originally Posted by RS277 View Post
    Mr. Portsmouth seems to do a class act
    I agree with you. To be honest I do not like impersonatorow. But he makes a good impression.

NO, I do not like them but some do a great job!
    I can understand you, agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    If you don't like tribute artists, don't watch them. There is no reason to be scared because one is portraying his subject well.

I like Spiderman, every opportunity I've ever had to have my photo taken with him, I've done it. Do I believe I'm really with Spiderman? No! It's just some fella dressed up like a fictional cartoon character.

As for a tribute artist appearing in a dirty movie and fooling Elvis fans, good one!
    Well said!
    I'll Remember You!!!

Cool Re: It get frightened what the impersonators do.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    I see your point, Winston, just my opinion - no-one is Elvis, so simply, to me, they should have some dignity and be themselves, and if talented, persue their own career rather than jumping on Elvis' decades of hardwork, talent, and dedication, basically, they are jumping on his shirt tails.

I agree, I feel the same way!

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post
    Probably the same way why I'm frighten by your picture too. Cause obviously the guy is obsessed with Elvis too much and wants to walk and talk and sound and sing and dress like someone else. It's spooky and ridiculous. The guy is a complete joke just as the other 99 percent of Elvis impersonators. If you wanna be a successful musician try to build your own career with your own songs and style and not copying somebody else's and who knows maybe one day there will be your impersonators or people wearing shirts with your name on it and will try to copy your style. But you have to work very very hard and not steel somebody elses hard work as someone said here before for some nostalgic moment. It's just ridiculous and funny. No offence to anybody on the forum that's just my opinion. I mean I also have sideburns but that's about it.Don't need to look like the guy and walk with those kind of clothes and a Pompadour on my head to be a true fan.
    Last edited by Kajo; 06-06-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post

Completely agree with you Turbo.

Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    ... Probably the same way why I'm frighten by your picture too ...
    Good post.

First, and this does not change the way I feel about tribute artists, I must admit that Mr Portsmouth does do a very convincing job.
    Second, I would say,judging from his voice he is a trained singer.

I feel the only way you'll ever find why these guys do what they do is to get into there minds. For that reason I would like to ask JRthe realJR. Why do you feel you have to copy Elvis? I see by your profile pic that this obviously does not stop when you come off stage, that is if you are a tribute artist.
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8558/42274.gif

Roustabouts

I'm not into the tribute artists at all. However, there is obviously a demand for them because the top ones seem to make a very good living doing this. That being said, it is a little creepy. To think that they sit and study every little mannerism and facial expression that Elvis would do is weird to me. Not to mention the plastic surgery. It's one thing to imitate Elvis on stage. But to have to walk around in everyday life with a bad copy of someone else's face?

Backstage Pass

Well said Sammycakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    No offence to anybody on the forum that's just my opinion. .Don't need to look like the guy and walk with those kind of clothes and a Pompadour on my head to be a true fan.
    Agree! You have sideburns, I comb my bangs in such a way as Elvis. That's all, but I always did. Even if I have not loved Elvis.
    I'll Remember You!!!