Thread: Justin Bieber breaks Elton John record for biggest selling single??

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Justin Bieber breaks Elton John record for biggest selling single??

Here is the new way the RIAA is counting single record sales. For every 100 times an"official video" is watched that counts as 1 download of the song. So in the article Bieber has sold 3.9 million singles for his song Baby but with 857 million views on Youtube that song is now 12 times platinum. Since Elton's song Candle In the Wind doesn't have a "official video" he doesn't get the extra sales toward the 33 million singles he sold of that song. CRAZY!

So you can see where this is going, Elvis doesn’t really have official videos of his songs, most are fan created which do not count. So I guess we will start to see people like Bieber breaking Elvis’ and the Beatles records.

Here is the article if you would like to read it.
    http://www.billboard.com/biz/article...data-beats-out
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Re: Justin Bieber breaks Elton John record for biggest selling single??

You know what Chris? My dad once told me.
    A long time ago in the 80th. "Everything which is beautiful, it was already".
    He was referring to the art (music, among other, too).
    Now I see that I was wrong in arguing that it is nonsense!
    He was right. He was right. Upcoming shoddy (poor) 'plastic' beauty.
    Just compare the architekurę (Moorish palaces Alhambra) with today's cold masterpieces (Santiago Calatrava, Ciudad de Artes y Ciencias, City of Arts and Sciences, Valencia)
    In my opinion, nobody beats ELVIS!
    Even if you do not know how many times you clicked on the keyboard.
    Unfortunately today's 'artists' are based on it.
    But this is not provided by their size, they just stir up curiosity.
    These are often very colorful (empty) soap banks.
    Keep your head up, smile and listen to real music and voice , not a pitiful peep
    I'll Remember You!!!

And I was like baby, baby, baby nooooooooo, like baby, baby, baby nooooooooo. I give him a few more years and then it'll be onto the next one.

A cute little butt is a far cry from life experience, which artistic skill only wishes to serve, and the ability to withstand the evergrinding tooth of time. In fact time will eventually feed the persisting work of the artist best described by an exponential function. Hahaha.. HAHAHA!!

Sorry, I get carried away pretty easily.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    And I was like baby, baby, baby nooooooooo, like baby, baby, baby nooooooooo. I give him a few more years and then it'll be onto the next one.

You are very generous Jen, a few years? I hope!
    I'll Remember You!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    A cute little butt is a far cry from life experience, which artistic skill only wishes to serve, and the ability to withstand the evergrinding tooth of time. In fact time will eventually feed the persisting work of the artist best described by an exponential function. Hahaha.. HAHAHA!!

Sorry, I get carried away pretty easily.

Yeah, he all is sweet.
    I am sorry to write this but he nothing represent themselves.
    Another 'wonderful' baby?
    I'll Remember You!!!

So let me get this straight-when they stream a You Tube video of Biebers song it counts after a while toward his sales-but no money actually changes hands from the person who streams the video and You Tube?
    For all records such as this ASTERISK ASTERISK ASTERISK
    There is no comparison between going out to buy your song at the store, spending your gas, spending the time to actually purchase a record and sitting at a computer, or using your cell phone and streaming a video.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    So let me get this straight-when they stream a You Tube video of Biebers song it counts after a while toward his sales-but no money actually changes hands from the person who streams the video and You Tube?
    For all records such as this ASTERISK ASTERISK ASTERISK
    There is no comparison between going out to buy your song at the store, spending your gas, spending the time to actually purchase a record and sitting at a computer, or using your cell phone and streaming a video.
    Yes, no money changes hands but after every 100 views the artist gets 1 "sale" toward their total. Only if they have an "official video" that was released not a video created by a fan, which Elvis has thousands. So to me what EPE needs to do is try to create "official videos" if they want to keep up with the RIAA's crazy number counting. They need to create cool updated videos for official release.

I agree there is a big difference for me to look at a video versus going to the store or go online and spend your hard earned money for a song or album. I look at videos of songs that I hear on the radio or people are going crazy over a song just to see what the fuss is about. So that would count as a look even if I only listen to half the song but I never went out to buy that song. This is not just for Youtube, it’s for all the other ways you can watch videos online too.

As the article said the Harlem Shake is getting a ton of views which means a lot of "sales".

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    Yes, no money changes hands but after every 100 views the artist gets 1 "sale" toward their total. Only if they have an "official video" that was released not a video created by a fan, which Elvis has thousands. So to me what EPE needs to do is try to create "official videos" if they want to keep up with the RIAA's crazy number counting. They need to create cool updated videos for official release.

I agree there is a big difference for me to look at a video versus going to the store or go online and spend your hard earned money for a song or album. I look at videos of songs that I hear on the radio or people are going crazy over a song just to see what the fuss is about. So that would count as a look even if I only listen to half the song but I never went out to buy that song. This is not just for Youtube, it’s for all the other ways you can watch videos online too.

As the article said the Harlem Shake is getting a ton of views which means a lot of "sales".
    I may be old fashioned-but "sales" use to mean actually buying something for hard earned cash...if you spend your money on something it shows how important it is to you....if all you lose in order to hear a song is a split second of time and energy to view a video you have invested nothing.....so naturally a popular song will get many many investments of "split seconds of time and energy" because its free.....how can that negate actual sales of singles in the record books is mindboggling.
    100 "split seconds of time and energy" equal "1" sale toward an artists total????????
    Naturally if in 1956 it had been possible to just click on a link and hear a song-Elvis would have had even larger sales totals...but he was handicapped by the audacious idea of people having to actually leave their home, drive to a store, and then spend actual money to hear his music...which shows how much his music meant to millions-and not just a click away in the privacy of your home.
    ASTERISK to any song that replaces a real legit sales record!
    Our society will one day be nothing but people who can blink-because everything will only require a blink to accomplish....
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

RIAA and Billboard magazine have been adding or changing rules to benefit the artists of today.

It is ridiculous and annoying but we know not to take these silly new ways of counting sales seriously.

Most people feel the same way we all do and they don't even pay attention to the RIAA or Billboard.

In a few years RIAA will probably discontinue this and come up with something else.

I thought you had to sit through an entire song for it to even count as one view?? I could be wrong. I just can't see JB having that much more longevity to his career anyway, this is at least wishful thinking on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    I thought you had to sit through an entire song for it to even count as one view?? I could be wrong. I just can't see JB having that much more longevity to his career anyway, this is at least wishful thinking on my part.
    I don't know for sure but I think a click counts as a full watch.

Oh, I think Bieber will last for 30 years and be bigger than Elvis and the Beatles. He will be 50 years old and be on stage with his pants down to his knees and singing Baby.

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I don't know for sure but I think a click counts as a full watch.

Oh, I think Bieber will last for 30 years and be bigger than Elvis and the Beatles. He will be 50 years old and be on stage with his pants down to his knees and singing Baby.
    One click? No, that can't be right. I wish I could remember where I heard or read the whole clip counts thing.

In 30 years, you'll be at his concert singing along with him, I'mma tell you one time I only know his stuff because of my niece and that's the truth.

I'm going to be 58 next week so I think in 30 years if I'm sitting anywhere I'll be happy
    Work in Progress!

Backstage Pass

Wasn't Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" single officially listed with sales of 50 million sold and given the status of "highest selling single" (whatever that means anymore)

Backstage Pass

It seems that modern day artists cannot compete with previous performers, so numbers are creatively modified and concocted in order in order to set a new standard ( 100 views equal i record sale?!) What baloney!