Thread: 1973 Stax Sessions Anthology

Hi gang,

I just contributed to a topic regarding the Stax sessions over on fecc and I am posting my contribution here as it might make for an interesting discussion.

(by the way this isn't a topic to show my covers particularly as I would want to re design them at some point)

.................................................. .................................................. ........

I compiled myself a Stax Sessions Anthology 2 disc set quite some time ago containing all the master takes from the 1973 recording sessions.

Here is the cover art I made for it at the time (nothing too elaborate)

There are 30 master takes from 1973, and they did not all fit on one disc - so this is how i put the project together.......

I started disc 1 with available alternate and undubbed versions plus of course 'It's Diff'rent Now' (awesome track that one I must say).

I didn't include any of the material on Rhythm and Country so that this compilation could work as a companion piece to 'Essential Vol 5'. There was more than enough alternate material not including the tracks from 'R and C' to be able to assemble the collection this way.

I then ended the 1st disc with the first 4 master takes and on disc 2 I added the remaining 26 masters. I included all masters in session order and I really love the way the tracks flow when assembled in this way.

In my opinion, the material comes over much better when together on one collection (rather than scattered over several original albums with very short running times. Additionally, the flow of the session order paces the material almost perfectly.

Just wanted to add my input to this topic as I have been making my own 70's session compilations and really favour having session material in context.

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

Cadillac King
    Hey Spin-Out,
    Could you list the tracks separately, I can't read them on the cover. Love the cover BTW, great looking guy......
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    spinout,

I must wholeheartedly agree with you on this subject.

The tracks do flow very well when heard in the order in which they were recorded. It is what worked for them in the studio, so it seems natural that it would also be pleasing to the listener.

Right on about It's Diff'rent Now. Man, I wish they had stuck with that one! But I am thankful that we have that great rehearsal track.

I don't know who assembled this, but I have a copy of a 2-CD set called Trax From Stax, which is simply all the masters presented in chronological order (and including IDN) plus some undubbed masters. And when I first played it I too was impressed by the flow of the material when presented that way.

Awesome cover, BTW.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Coming On Strong
    I can?t add anything that hasn?t already been said

Great cover

One can only hope that BMG one day assembles a compilation like this (and use your cover art )

Hi friends,

I will upload a larger version of the back cover this evening for anyone that's interested in the tracklisting.

Regarding the flow and pace of the tracklisting, I have also compiled a 71 sessions (non gospel material), again, in session order together with a handful of alternates and man does it make for a strong album when presented that way.

Similarly to the Stax material, when sequenced in session order it just flows perfectly, as infact does the Today sessions material.

I really hope eventually the 70's sessions will be given this kind of overview officially as the material really does compare far more favourably this way in my opinion.

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar

Ah yes, Nashville '71...FTD, can't you hear me when I call?
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Here's the tracklisting, as promised

TCB Mafia
    That would be one - hell of a cd set Spinout...very well put together

I think i'd like to make myself one of those Nice Cover too
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

I should perhaps mention that the undubbed versions were taken from the 'Our Memories Of Elvis' CD incase anyone wondered.

NightRider - if you do put this collection together you'll be doin' yourself a big favour

It's the kind of project where you wish CDs had longer playing times, so that you could add all the Rhythm and Country tracks to the set as well

As a side note, I would have liked to have used the undubbed Sweet Angeline found on import but decided on just using officially released BMG/RCA material to keep the sound quality consistent throughout.

Additionally, in order to fit the material on to 2 CD's I primarily used all available BMG alternate takes (apart from those on Rhythm and Country) and omitted some undubbed tracks in favour of an alternate take when one was also available so that the most tracks possible could be covered on disc 1 whilst still having room for all the master takes.

This is a compilation that I would buy! Nicely done.

Just one small technical note:

The voice-over for "Sweet Angeline", and the entire songs "I Miss You" / "Are You Sincere?" were all recorded September 22nd, 1973 @ EP's Palm Springs home (rather than Stax in Memphis).

For follow-up reasons, I have carefully traced EP's whereabouts during the Fall of '73. He was out in California for his pending divorce that Fall and returned to Memphis in October (whereupon he was immediately hospitalized) ......... later resuming recordings at Stax (December of '73).

- Capt. "EL."

Originally posted by Captain Elwood David@May 13 2004, 01:09 AM
    This is a compilation that I would buy!? Nicely done.

Just one small technical note:

The voice-over for "Sweet Angeline", and the entire songs "I Miss You" / "Are You Sincere?" were all recorded September 22nd, 1973 @ EP's Palm Springs home (rather than Stax in Memphis).

For follow-up reasons, I have carefully traced EP's whereabouts during the Fall of '73.? He was out in California for his pending divorce that Fall and returned to Memphis in October (whereupon he was immediately hospitalized) ......... later resuming recordings at Stax (December of '73).

- Capt. "EL."
    Captain El,

The Palm Springs tracks had been brought up on the fecc board also, and I forgot to address that point here.

I had made mention of the Palm Springs recordings on my liner notes (front cover insert) but felt they had to be included in any overview of 1973 master recordings, hence their appearance in my compilation.

Thanks for bringing that up so that I could clarify their inclusion (and for your additional background info on the topic).

Cadillac King
    I would buy this in a heartbeat......great compilation, well done....
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

I agree with Carolyn. Great stuff!!!

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Great compilation man! I will make this compilation this weekend. Anxious to see if the flow is really better

Ain't it weird that the younger fans particularly like the 70s, but aren't catered by BMG (besides the liveshows on the FTD label)?
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Everything has already been said but wanted to let you know it looks good, and I think sounds great

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    GREAT IDEA SPINOUT!!! TOP NOTCH!!

Love the track listing and the cover design!! I love the fact that this set is meant to be a "companion" to R & C, and not just a re-issue of those tracks included on R & C!

I've got my money ready....where can I get one???

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

I would buy it in a heartbeat

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Originally posted by WildStyle@May 16 2004, 02:09 AM
    I would buy it in a heartbeat
    RIGHT ON WILDSTYLE!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Coming On Strong
    WOW....

The stax tracks are my favorite, if you ask me EPE can do some work about that...!!! You did the cover, now EPE has to bring out the "takes"

Greets,
    Erik van den Berg
    Greets,
    Erik van den Berg

Cadillac King
    I kind of missed this post ...well I'll be working on the "building" ! I have done similar things with the Nashville / Blues/ Alt takes/ Hollywood ..but I never thought of this !
    Thanks and yes Great idea and covers

jb