Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about Elvis drew you to him?

What about Elvis drew you to him?

Each of us as Elvis fans were drawn to him by....something....so my question is when were you first drawn to Elvis and what was it that grabbed you?
    Was it his voice alone that drew you, his look, his gyrations, charisma......a film of his you saw, a record etc.....

In my case I saw the film "Blue Hawaii" at a drive in movie in 1961 and for me when he sang "Can't Help Falling in Love" to the elderly woman-I was caught.
    As corny and contrived as that moment was in the film-it came across to my young brain as "sincere"....from that film on I was hooked.
    I wanted to know about him and wanted every record he made.
    His voice has always told me each time I hear it........."There is hope in life no matter how bleak it can look!...Don't give up"
    Work in Progress!

Re: What about Elvis drew you to him?

It was the "That's The Way It Is" documentary what really caught me in 2007. His look, his voice, his charisma, his talent, his contact with the audience. So all together, his whole personality.

I LOVE
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

My page on YouTube and on MyElvisWorld:
    http://www.youtube.com/cibetty, http://www.myelvisworld.com/cibetty

For me I was in a department store as a kid and the On Stage album was playing. From then on I became a fan. It took me 6 months before I came to know about Elvis' stature in the fifties!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Each of us as Elvis fans were drawn to him by....something....so my question is when were you first drawn to Elvis and what was it that grabbed you?
    Was it his voice alone that drew you, his look, his gyrations, charisma......a film of his you saw, a record etc.....
    Definately the voice, Suspicious Minds to be exact. I'd obviously heard it before, but the local radio station played this and other Elvis songs quite a bit and that was what kick started my interest. It took me by surprise when I discovered how much I'd missed, but better late than never .

I've watched a few of his films, but they're not really my thing. I do enjoy watching him on stage though.

When I first heard his voice on the radio singing That's All Right Mama...so different from anyone else and then I saw a picture of him in our newspaper...that did it, I was hooked for life.

when I was a kid, I'd sing along to Suspicion with my hairbrush......couldnt believe such a young man could have such a deep voice
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

My younger brother became a big fan because I listened to Elvis so much, so I'm sure many fans got exposure thru a relative or friend.
    My kids are not die hard fans but they have several Elvis songs they really like and have on their IPODS.
    My oldest daughter watched some of the 68 Deluxe DVD set with my wife and I and made the comment:
    "I don't care what hes singing as long as hes in that Leather Suit!"
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

My parents were fans of Elvis, not like me but they saw him in concert when he came to town. My aunt is a bigger fan than my parents but once again not like me. My aunt is the one who played Hound Dog for me when I was about 6 or 7 and I remember going crazy and wanted to hear it again and again. Then she played Heartbreak Hotel and Blue Suede Shoes, I couldn't get enough. So I guess for me it was his voice first and the music then once I saw some old tapes of the Ed Sullivan show and Aloha with his movements and charisma, I was crazy about Elvis and still am.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

My aunt is also a huge fan back to the beginning-a first generation-I am a second generation fan.
    My grandmother told a story about Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show and how my aunt was holding me as she watched the show-my grandma told my aunt that if she screamed and made me cry she was turning off Elvis My aunt said it was hard...but she kept from screaming
    Work in Progress!

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

Watching him in Jailhouse Rock, then Watched TTWII SE when I was 11 years old got me hooked, his charisma, stage power, everything drew me to him, such a tragic figure had alot to do with it aswell.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

My husband and two kids respect and admire Elvis. None are die hard fans like I am but they also have several songs that they like especially. Most of my friends are Elvis fans as well.

My friends like Elvis, but I doubt any of them have more than a few cds. One of my friends associates Burning Love with me, which is odd considering I'd never heard that song until last year.

In 1979 i was 6 years old. I got a little black/white tv in my room. One saturday evening I was going to bed, and I turned my TV on. They had only
    one channel in Norway at that time. Elvis Comeback Special was aired, and I was blown away!! "I SAW THE LIGHT!!!". The charisma, the voice....I became hooked for life. No one in my family was Elvis fans, but my step father had the album Elvis Forever vol 1. And from that moment I became
    collecting LP`s, Videos....everything. I have been to Graceland 3 times (last time with my wife in 2007). I Got two good friends where I live, and
    they have been a fan the last 38 years. We work together, and party together... My son (age 13) also like to watch an listen to Elvis videos and music.
    So, there is hope for the future!

Great stories, shows the power of Elvis to grab people of all ages.
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Definitely his voice. When I first heard "Don't Be Cruel" (45 rpm record played on a cheap turntable) I was hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    Definitely his voice. When I first heard "Don't Be Cruel" (45 rpm record played on a cheap turntable) I was hooked.
    My first record player resembled a small suitcase-had a handle and a dark grey cloth covering on the outside about the size of a large hatbox...had a 2 inch speaker on the side and it sounded horrible. But my first records by Elvis were played on that.
    Work in Progress!

My first record player looked like a suitcase made out of red alligator skin.

Hard to say, because feelings are often hard to describe.
    He had an impact on me the same way Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison did, among older country music.

Whatever it is, this music had something the radio didn't have. As a musical genius, it is psychological terror if your parents (or whatever these creatures are called) only play the same dull middle-of-the-road pop music.
    The danger is, that if you have heard one particular tune 10 times a day, it will keep on playing in your head even if you don't want to. The same applies to good music, like chorals by Bach or piano music by Beethoven - it also keeps playing, but in this case it is desired.
    Those who need music as wallpaper do not seem to be affected by the psychological terror.

As for Elvis' music - his voice was rich, of course, and it had a sort of tragedy, as the ballads had the most significant impact.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    Hard to say, because feelings are often hard to describe.
    He had an impact on me the same way Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison did, among older country music.

Whatever it is, this music had something the radio didn't have. As a musical genius, it is psychological terror if your parents (or whatever these creatures are called) only play the same dull middle-of-the-road pop music.
    The danger is, that if you have heard one particular tune 10 times a day, it will keep on playing in your head even if you don't want to.
    The same applies to good music, like chorals by Bach or piano music by Beethoven - it also keeps playing, but in this case it is desired.
    Those who need music as wallpaper do not seem to be affected by the psychological terror.

As for Elvis' music - his voice was rich, of course, and it had a sort of tragedy, as the ballads had the most significant impact.
    For the most part, both my parents have decent taste in music, motown mainly. However, I don't think I can forgive being subjected to I Will Survive, a song I absolutely loathe with a passion.

My mother was into country western music and she did not like Elvis (until she got to be 60 and then had a change of opinion)
    My 1st step father was a sports fanatic and music was not his cup of tea-so I was branded a sissy because I liked Elvis, liked to draw and wanted to be a writer.
    My mom would play Conway and Loretta-Whisperin Bill Anderson, Buck Owens and I appreciate their music even today-but my heart was in Elvis and rock.
    Work in Progress!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast