Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True or False?

True or False?

During rehearsals for the 68' Comeback, Elvis and director Steve Binder went out on to Sunset Boulevard during evening rush hour. Both were interested to see if anyone would recognise Elvis. After standing around for however long, it was clear no one did. Binder later recalled that Elvis was humbled by the experience.

I can't see it myself.

Re: True or False?

did read it somewhere Jen.....dont forget he'd lived in 'obscurity' during the movie years.....he wasn't hip/in/relative
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

I have read that in several places, including Guralnicks "Careless Love" so it must have some truth to it.
    Besides Elvis and Binder there were two others who went out on Sunset Boulevard (one being Bowes Howe I believe)so its not just one guys story.
    Work in Progress!

Cadillac King

You'd probably look and think what a good looking guy but never imagine it would be Elvis standing there!

I've read that in a couple of books, I think it's true.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

I just struggle to believe that absolutely no one recognised him. Who wouldn't notice someone who looked like he did on the streets?

I've read it in two or three books. You have to remember that Elvis had basically been out of the eye of the general public for seven (at the time) years so...it's not hard imagining no one recognizing him. If I don't see friends of mine for a long time, I forget their names.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I have read that in several places, including Guralnicks "Careless Love" so it must have some truth to it.

Besides Elvis and Binder, there were two others who went out on Sunset Boulevard (one being Bowes Howe I believe) so its not just one guys story.

You are correct, Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I've read it in two or three books. You have to remember that Elvis had basically been out of the eye of the general public for seven (at the time) years so...it's not hard imagining no one recognizing him. If I don't see friends of mine for a long time, I forget their names.

You are correct, Ken.

Is there no more to this than just what I've read? How long were they standing there for? I could get my head around it if it was only for 5 minutes, but seriously Elvis would've stuck out like a sore thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    Is there no more to this than just what I've read? How long were they standing there for? I could get my head around it if it was only for 5 minutes, but seriously Elvis would've stuck out like a sore thumb.
    Binder says they stood long enough for Elvis to be humbled by the lack of recognition-and he seemed uncomfortable that no one was noticing him....someone else said he seemed amused that no one noticed....eye of the beholder I guess.
    I must say if Elvis had stood anywhere in Main Street USA the sight would have drawn huge crowds-but Sunset Boulevard in California during the height of HIPPIEDOM-may be the difference........people near Los Angeles for ages have been use to seeing all kinds of big stars come and go on the streets, in cars, in restaurants etc.....different atmosphere and culture exists.....its usually the tourists who get all bent out of shape at the sight of stars.
    Plus to many hippies/young people-Elvis was just no longer in their radar-thats the truth....he was not considered current and was seen more as a film star than a rock singer.
    The 68 special helped to turn the tide for Elvis being seen as "out of the loop in music" but this stepping out into Sunset Boulevard happened before the special had even been filmed and it illustrates why Elvis needed to make a change in his direction and a move back to his roots.
    If Elvis had come to virtually any other city (with the possible the exception of New York) he would have drawn people just like he always had anywhere he went.
    Muhammad Ali was a huge fan of Elvis and is known for his ego....... a reporter once asked him,
    "If you were walking down one side of a street and Elvis Presley the other-who would people flock to?"
    Ali smiled and said something like:
    "That would be a close call....."
    Pretty high praise from someone known as "The Greatest"
    Work in Progress!

Thanks for elaborating further Ken, two different perspectives on this, amused and uncomfortable. I'd like to think he found it amusing, yet I also know he was extremely nervous about the show, so who knows what he really thought?

That is a very cute comment from Ali, I wouldn't like to call it even though I know where I'd go .

here is an itnerview with Steve Binder where he talks about the event plus a lot of otehr things around the special

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/inte...e_binder.shtml
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

TCB Mafia

Who knows what really happened.

Lamar Fike has said that Elvis was mobbed for autograph's and they had to quickly get Elvis inside.

You either believe Steve Binder or you believe Lamar Fike.

I find it hard to believe that no one would recognize Elvis because even though he wasn't as popular in 1968 his movies were still being shown all over the country and he was in all the entertainment and gossip magazines.

You have hasbeen celebrities that haven't been on television for 20 years and there will be some people that still recognize them.

It is possible that Steve Binder exaggerate's the situation to make it a better story.
    Last edited by Brian; 04-04-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Lamar Fike has said that Elvis was mobbed for autograph's and they had to quickly get Elvis inside.
    Yes, here's a quote from Lamar's 2005 interview with elvisinfonet.com:

"Well, yes, Steve Binder did take Elvis out onto Sunset Boulevard, but man let me tell you, it was wild. A real mess. We had to fight to get Elvis back in once people saw it was Elvis. So much for him no longer being a big star!"

No way of knowing for sure whether the event happened as Steve Binder said it but it is incredible to believe that someone with Elvis' striking unique looks could go about without anyone recognizing him. I don't know what to believe....

Lamar Fike is not my favorite source for anything-considering he was the main "source" for the Goldman book which was nothing more than a total attack on Elvis from every angle.
    Its funny to me that Lamar was critical of the 1970 book by Jerry Hopkins in which the claim of this incident first appeared....Elvis was very much alive in1970 and had to have read the book!
    Elvis, nor the Colonel, nor Lamar-made any attempt to set the record straight in the 7 seven years Elvis was still alive after the book came out
    (Hopkins book says Joe Esposito was one of the people who went outside- Lamar was not mentioned-as far as I know Joe has not contradicted what Binder has said nor the book by Hopkins)
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Lamar Fike is not my favorite source for anything-considering he was the main "source" for the Goldman book which was nothing more than a total attack on Elvis from every angle.
    Lamar Fike has said that he signed a deal with the book publisher to introduce Goldman to people that knew Elvis since Albert Goldman didn't know anyone.
    Beyond that he says he had nothing to do with what Goldman wrote.

It could be true that Goldman being the skilled journalist and writer could interview people and then take their words out of context.

Goldman knew how to do that and wouldn't need Fike's help.

It has been said that many of the stories in Goldman's book were actually true but written with a negative tone and his own personal feelings for Elvis presented in the book were mean spirited.

Lamar Fike's role in the Albert Goldman book may have been grossly overstated.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Lamar Fike has said that he signed a deal with the book publisher to introduce Goldman to people that knew Elvis since Albert Goldman didn't know anyone.
    Beyond that he says he had nothing to do with what Goldman wrote.

It could be true that Goldman being the skilled journalist and writer could interview people and then take their words out of context.

Goldman knew how to do that and wouldn't need Fike's help.

It has been said that many of the stories in Goldman's book were actually true but written with a negative tone and his own personal feelings for Elvis presented in the book were mean spirited.

Lamar Fike's role in the Albert Goldman book may have been grossly overstated.
    Well what was Lamar to say to the angry fans who hated the way Elvis was presented in this book-
    "Oh yes I was the primary source for the worst stories in the book"
    Of course he would deny his much deeper involvement, that has been Lamars MO since Elvis died.
    The Goldman book was not hated because of the stories-true or not-it was hated because the "utter contempt of Goldman for Elvis and Rock music was so evident in the way the stories were told"
    Goldman was on record as hating rock-and he hated Elvis more than the music...he literally did not give Elvis any credit for a single thing Elvis ever did he portrayed Elvis as an uneducated hick who had little talent and stumbled into his place in history.
    It is the biased contempt for Elvis by Goldman which permeates every page of his book that caused some fans to hate his book and Fikes involvement.
    Lamar had an uncanny way of claiming credit for good things and playing up his "hand in all things Elvis" ....after the fact.
    Work in Progress!

Heres a nice link to a couple of photos from the day Elvis took the stroll outside on SBoulevard-and a little more info on that stroll which says there were a few fans who noticed him-but generally it was like Binder described-the photos show no mobs, no concerns in Elvis's face for a gathering crowd...just a couple of guys talking:
    http://elvismomentsintime.freeforums...show-t551.html
    Work in Progress!

Here is a much longer version of the Binder story with Binder giving a little more detail:
    Q : You and Elvis went for a walk on Sunset Boulevard?

A : Not a walk necessarily. I was always kinda probing and, you know, we had a really good behind the scenes one on one relationship. And I said 'What do you think would happen if you walked out on the street today?' And he said 'What do you mean?' I said, 'Well what do you think would happen?' And he looked at me curiously and he said 'Well, I don't know what do you think would happen?' And I said 'Nothing. This is 1968. You walk down on the street on Sunset Boulevard, and I almost promise you, guarantee you, nobody's gonna tear your clothes off. Nobody's gonna hound you for autographs or whatever, you know, they're gonna just accept you. These are different times, you know'. And that was the end of the conversation, and it was a few days later, we rehearsed the show at our offices in the piano room before we ever went to NBC with the full orchestra and the staff and so forth. And every day Elvis would come to our office and we would rehearse the show on piano, and teach him the arrangements and so forth. And up until this time Elvis had never recorded in his life with anything bigger than a rhythm section. Drums, bass guitar, sometimes he'd even have a bass and that was it. And now we're asking him to, you know, appear before 50 musicians and sing. He was nervous about that. And then when I fired Billy Strange and brought in Billy Goldenberg, Elvis didn't even know who Billy Goldenberg was, to do all the arrangements and conduct the special. It truly changed his musical direction. After that he loved big bands and full orchestras and what have you.
    Anyway, the story, I'm digressing. But the story on Sunset is a few days later while we were rehearsing, Elvis came to me and said 'Let's go'. I didn't even know what he was talking about and I said 'Lets go where?' He said 'Downstairs'. So everybody grabbed their hats or coats or whatever and they said 'Let's go' and Elvis said 'No, no. Only Steve and I are going down there. You all, you can watch from the window,' cause we were on like the third floor. And he said 'But we're goin' down there, you know, to see what it's like on Sunset Boulevard'. We went down at the peak of traffic, like 5:00 in the evening. And we got down in front of our building. And then, we stood out there for a few minutes, and we were chatting small talk. I don't even remember what we were talking about. But what I was observing, and what he was observing, was that nobody was paying any attention to us. And after awhile it got uncomfortable. And Elvis pretty soon was trying to draw attention to himself. He was kinda waving at cars driving by and some kids were coming from Tower Records and they bumped into us and didn't even lift their heads up to see they had bumped into Elvis and so forth. And, we stood out there for like 10, almost embarrassing minutes, trying to draw attention to hey this is really Elvis Presley.
    And after it was all over I could tell a real change of attitude in him. He was loose, he was really fun, and he really trusted me. And then, the irony of the thing is I was convinced if anybody had a sign out on Sunset Boulevard saying, this is Elvis Presley not some Hollywood impersonator or character or whatever, he would've been mobbed and they would've torn his clothes off and so forth but he never knew that and I never mentioned it to him.
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Well what was Lamar to say to the angry fans who hated the way Elvis was presented in this book-
    "Oh yes I was the primary source for the worst stories in the book"
    Of course he would deny his much deeper involvement, that has been Lamars MO since Elvis died.
    The Goldman book was not hated because of the stories-true or not-it was hated because the "utter contempt of Goldman for Elvis and Rock music was so evident in the way the stories were told"
    Goldman was on record as hating rock-and he hated Elvis more than the music...he literally did not give Elvis any credit for a single thing Elvis ever did he portrayed Elvis as an uneducated hick who had little talent and stumbled into his place in history.
    It is the biased contempt for Elvis by Goldman which permeates every page of his book that caused some fans to hate his book and Fikes involvement.
    Lamar had an uncanny way of claiming credit for good things and playing up his "hand in all things Elvis" ....after the fact.
    That is true Lamar probably wouldn't have admitted it if he had done it.

I mean it may have been Goldman's utter contempt for Elvis and not Lamar's words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast