Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 72

Thread: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

  1. #1
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    What do you think about this article? Do you think Elvis will be forgotten in 15 or 20 years?

    I'm one of these fans that were not born until after Elvis died. The times I have been to Graceland I see a huge mix of people young, old and many nationalities.

    http://technorati.com/social-media/a...ver-to-rename/
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  2. #2
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    I think it is a possibilty.

    I think for a variety of reasons Elvis' popularity has started to decline since around 2008.

    That could continue for the next couple of years where Elvis' is even further out of the public eye.

    Then 20 years from now is largely forgotten.

  3. #3
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    Some of the most ridiculous tripe I've read. I'm sure many thought he would have been forgotten after he died. How did that work out? Elvis is so ingrained in world history, culture, society he gets new fans constantly. Now, renaming Valentines Day as Elvis Day may be even more ridiculous. Let's just get his Birthday recognized, much better idea.

  4. #4
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    The author of this "blog" is a Mechanical Engineer.....hardly a cultural expert who perhaps does not understand the true meaning of "real charisma"
    Elvis can never be the hottest thing on the planet again-he can have moments of great interest and fans are born from those.
    Elvis draws fans every year who were not born when he died-let alone when he was in his prime and they are not drawn to Elvis because of he is the hottest thing on the planet like (as of today)a Bieber or Gaga...they are drawn to him because of his voice, charisma, and that essence of humanity that calls to them.
    In 55 it was said "He can not last"
    In 58 it was said "Hes going in the Army-he'll be forgotten"
    In 64 it was said "Hes dead long live the Beatles"
    In 77 it was said "The King is Dead"
    Nearly 60 years since he started-he is still huge, he still draws new fans, he still is known by his firstname worldwide.
    I doubt that this gentleman is correct in his blog.
    Work in Progress!

  5. #5

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I think it is a possibilty.

    I think for a variety of reasons Elvis' popularity has started to decline since around 2008.

    That could continue for the next couple of years where Elvis' is even further out of the public eye.

    Then 20 years from now is largely forgotten.
    Are you really a true fan or just a young casual fan who has no clue about Elvis' legacy? Seriously, you obviously aren't familiar with the fact that since 1977 people have been predicting his demise and it has yet to come. It's like Christians keep predicting the end is near and that Jesus is returning soon yet he still hasn't. There's just some things that cannot be predicted. Elvis' demise, should it ever happen, is one of them. And no son, Elvis has not even began to fade in any way, shape or form. If you honestly believe that then I suggest you get out more because Elvis has as much an impact and influence on the everyday life as any human has ever had to date. And that is NOT fandom speaking. It's factual reality.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

  6. #6

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The author of this "blog" is a Mechanical Engineer.....hardly a cultural expert who perhaps does not understand the true meaning of "real charisma"
    Elvis can never be the hottest thing on the planet again-he can have moments of great interest and fans are born from those.
    Elvis draws fans every year who were not born when he died-let alone when he was in his prime and they are not drawn to Elvis because of he is the hottest thing on the planet like (as of today)a Bieber or Gaga...they are drawn to him because of his voice, charisma, and that essence of humanity that calls to them.
    In 55 it was said "He can not last"
    In 58 it was said "Hes going in the Army-he'll be forgotten"
    In 64 it was said "Hes dead long live the Beatles"
    In 77 it was said "The King is Dead"
    Nearly 60 years since he started-he is still huge, he still draws new fans, he still is known by his firstname worldwide.
    I doubt that this gentleman is correct in his blog.
    Back in 1999, some so called psychic, who predicted the 1989 San Francisco earthquake, predicted that Elvis would begin to fade as the century turned. But he did the opposite with a monster worldwide smash hit remix and a #1 album for a month. Attendance at Graceland has gone up instead of down even during the roughest financial economic period since the great depression, and withstood terrorist threats following 911. Plus he continues to chart albums on modern day charts and digital downloads.

    I think it's safe to say that all of us who are here on this earth will pass on before Elvis is forgotten, or even starts to fade.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

  7. #7
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    VivaElvis- Every since the website has gone back up i am unable to use the quote function.

    I have read what you said and it is the most ridiculous thing i've ever read on TCB-world.

    We are talking about the future not the past so it doesn't make any difference about Elvis' popularity up until now.

    Do you know how many celebrities that were once big stars but nobody on earth knows them now.

    Take Big Crosby for example he was the most famous entertainer and movie star for over two decades and now nobody under the age of 40 knows who he is.

    20 years from now the same thing could happen to Elvis.

    Time changes and people move on.

    I am insulted by the crack about me not knowing anything or i need to get out more.

    You need to get out more and stop saying ridiculous things.

    P.S. Elvis' popularity has started to decline a little bit since around 2008.
    Elvis is no longer everywhere.

    Whether you choose to admit that is not my concern.
    Last edited by Brian; 02-14-2013 at 12:03 AM.

  8. #8
    I'm only Your elvia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Poland - Europe
    Posts
    6,076

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    VivaElvis- Every since the website has gone back up i am unable to use the quote function.

    I have read what you said and it is the most ridiculous thing i've ever read on TCB-world.

    We are talking about the future not the past so it doesn't make any difference about Elvis' popularity up until now.

    Do you know how many celebrities that were once big stars but nobody on earth knows them now.

    Take Big Crosby for example he was the most famous entertainer and movie star for over two decades and now nobody under the age of 40 knows who he is.

    20 years from now the same thing could happen to Elvis.

    Time changes and people move on.

    I am insulted by the crack about me not knowing anything or i need to get out more.

    You need to get out more and stop saying ridiculous things.

    P.S. Elvis' popularity has started to decline a little bit since around 2008.
    Elvis is no longer everywhere.

    Whether you choose to admit that is not my concern.

    With all due respect to the many 'great' contemporary and old (Bing Crosby) 'stars'.
    Brian, I think you have no idea how big it is ELVIS!
    This is not the 'King of Rock'n'roll'! This is the King of the Hearth, and not without reason.
    Such charisma and such a great emotional charge which we can hear the Elvis songs, you do not hear from anyone.
    In addition, Elvis is very often (until today) someone who fills an empty space in the hearts of many lonely person.
    I know what I write, I talk to older people, and what may surprise you, more often with the very young.
    ELVIS is LOVE! UNDENIABLY!
    I doubt that He will disappear from the consciousness of the people.
    This is not American or English artist. This is a man who, his voice electrifies millions of people on this planet.
    He's the only one artist which has a nickname in China! You know , how it sounds :-)? Beautiful! Mao Wang ( the King Cat )
    In Honkongu huge FC. I do not deny that his popularity is decreasing.
    But that does not mean anything. Elvis is not an artist, He is PHENOMENON!

    And here I agree with KPM:"Elvis draws fans every year who were not born when he died-let alone when he was in his prime and they are not drawn to Elvis because of he is the hottest thing on the planet like (as of today)a Bieber or Gaga...they are drawn to him because of his voice, charisma, and that essence of humanity that calls to them"
    I'll Remember You!!!

  9. #9
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    I disagree too, I think Elvis will go down in history for many many years to come because of the impact he made on the world with his talent, charisma and looks. There was no one like him nor has there been anyone since and never will be. He was unique in every way.

  10. #10
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Caddington, Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    1,422

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I disagree too, I think Elvis will go down in history for many many years to come because of the impact he made on the world with his talent, charisma and looks. There was no one like him nor has there been anyone since and never will be. He was unique in every way.
    Amen to that.

    Brian

  11. #11
    TCB Mafia Snake Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    His music is immortal, no way will he ever be forgotten.

  12. #12
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    60 years and still recognised worldwide, still drawing fans and selling records...thats a pretty good track record.
    Still mentioned in the top 3 of all time record sellers worldwide-if not recognised as "the Number 1 record seller" and been dead heading toward 40 years. Bing Crosby died the same year as Elvis yet whos estate has flourished and grown? whos fandom has stayed consistent?-who is still selling records at a pretty brisk pace each year?
    (My kids do know who Bing Crosby is and they are 26, 28, and 30...they also know who Sinatra, Dean Martin and Tony Bennett are)

    2008 was the year of the financial meltdown worldwide-so it is not just Elvis whos business fell off in 2008 look at the stockmarket crashing to around 7000 points. I would not gauge anything by the year 2008 because it was not a normal financial decline- it was catastrophic.
    Work in Progress!

  13. #13

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    60 years and still recognised worldwide, still drawing fans and selling records...thats a pretty good track record.
    Still mentioned in the top 3 of all time record sellers worldwide-if not recognised as "the Number 1 record seller" and been dead heading toward 40 years. Bing Crosby died the same year as Elvis yet whos estate has flourished and grown? whos fandom has stayed consistent?-who is still selling records at a pretty brisk pace each year?
    (My kids do know who Bing Crosby is and they are 26, 28, and 30...they also know who Sinatra, Dean Martin and Tony Bennett are)

    2008 was the year of the financial meltdown worldwide-so it is not just Elvis whos business fell off in 2008 look at the stockmarket crashing to around 7000 points. I would not gauge anything by the year 2008 because it was not a normal financial decline- it was catastrophic.
    Totally agree!
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

  14. #14

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    VivaElvis- Every since the website has gone back up i am unable to use the quote function.

    I have read what you said and it is the most ridiculous thing i've ever read on TCB-world.

    We are talking about the future not the past so it doesn't make any difference about Elvis' popularity up until now.

    Do you know how many celebrities that were once big stars but nobody on earth knows them now.

    Take Big Crosby for example he was the most famous entertainer and movie star for over two decades and now nobody under the age of 40 knows who he is.

    20 years from now the same thing could happen to Elvis.

    Time changes and people move on.

    I am insulted by the crack about me not knowing anything or i need to get out more.

    You need to get out more and stop saying ridiculous things.

    P.S. Elvis' popularity has started to decline a little bit since around 2008.
    Elvis is no longer everywhere.

    Whether you choose to admit that is not my concern.
    Who among the dead has a giant billboard hovering over Time Square in a white jumpsuit that represents a historic moment there? Elvis

    Who gets his movies and television special devoted to him around his birthday and death anniversary every year? Elvis

    Who draws in over 600,000 visitors worldwide to his estate where he is buried each year? Elvis

    Who's iconic hairstyle recently was recognized as the top most influential in pop culture? Elvis

    Who's name is mentioned almost daily worldwide by media? Elvis

    Who's got his own religion? Elvis

    Who just made $60 million compared to teen idol Justin Bieber's $37 million for the year? Elvis


    If you can't see the light then you are blind.

    P.S. Comparing Bing Crosby to Elvis's longevity is the biggest insult I have ever heard come from a "Elvis fan".
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

  15. #15
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The author of this "blog" is a Mechanical Engineer.....hardly a cultural expert who perhaps does not understand the true meaning of "real charisma"
    Elvis can never be the hottest thing on the planet again-he can have moments of great interest and fans are born from those.
    Elvis draws fans every year who were not born when he died-let alone when he was in his prime and they are not drawn to Elvis because of he is the hottest thing on the planet like (as of today)a Bieber or Gaga...they are drawn to him because of his voice, charisma, and that essence of humanity that calls to them.
    In 55 it was said "He can not last"
    In 58 it was said "Hes going in the Army-he'll be forgotten"
    In 64 it was said "Hes dead long live the Beatles"
    In 77 it was said "The King is Dead"
    Nearly 60 years since he started-he is still huge, he still draws new fans, he still is known by his firstname worldwide.
    I doubt that this gentleman is correct in his blog.
    Ken, I agree with you on the times you have said, Elvis sells Elvis and no one can do it better. When people hear him no matter what age and with an open mind they are instantly hooked. There is something about this guy that had it all, the voice, looks and of course the charisma that people cannot escape.

    I don't know the future but what I do know is I will never forget Elvis Aron Presley.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  16. #16
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    VivaElvis- You are missing the point of the article and the thread.

    Everything you are talking about has happened in the past.

    That does not mean that it will always be that way and that he won't fade in time like so many other famous people have.

    Several movie stars have had all day movie marathon's during their birthday's like for example John Wayne.

    You are crazy and being ridiculous again if you think my comparison to Bing Crosby was an insult or the biggest insult.

    Get back to me in 15 and 20 years from now and will see how things are then.

  17. #17
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    Some of you are missing the point about Bing Crosby and it is ridiuclous to say i don't know how popular Elvis has been.

    Do you know how and why Bing Crosby faded from popularity.

    Most of you are probably too young to know or understand how popular Bing was.

    Bing Crosby faded from popularity for a number of reasons.

    1. The majority of his fans starting dying off (This could happen to Elvis in 20 years)
    2. The new younger generations of people weren't interested in his type of music ( Who knows how music will have evolved 20 years from now)
    3. The people that own and manage Bing's catalog of music became disinterested in promoting him ( The music business is changing and i can see how they could completely lose interest in promoting older artists)

    Also have you noticed how many people under the age of 30 don't have a frame of reference for things that happened before they were born.

    Another thing i'm noticing is that other than Turner Classic movies television stations in the United States are rarely showing movies pre 1970.

    The only place you can see real old movies from the 1930s thru the 1950s is Turner Classic movies because other t.v. stations rarely show them.

    All of this does not bode well for Elvis.

  18. #18
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Some of you are missing the point about Bing Crosby and it is ridiuclous to say i don't know how popular Elvis has been.

    Do you know how and why Bing Crosby faded from popularity.

    Most of you are probably too young to know or understand how popular Bing was.

    Bing Crosby faded from popularity for a number of reasons.

    1. The majority of his fans starting dying off (This could happen to Elvis in 20 years)
    2. The new younger generations of people weren't interested in his type of music ( Who knows how music will have evolved 20 years from now)
    3. The people that own and manage Bing's catalog of music became disinterested in promoting him ( The music business is changing and i can see how they could completely lose interest in promoting older artists)

    Also have you noticed how many people under the age of 30 don't have a frame of reference for things that happened before they were born.

    Another thing i'm noticing is that other than Turner Classic movies television stations in the United States are rarely showing movies pre 1970.

    The only place you can see real old movies from the 1930s thru the 1950s is Turner Classic movies because other t.v. stations rarely show them.

    All of this does not bode well for Elvis.
    First off the original fans of Elvis are already passing away-but I am not from the original group-I am 57.
    I know many of our members here are much younger than I-they are not original fans, not even second tier like me.
    Younger generations produce Elvis fans each year-not flavor of the month fans-but steadfast loyal lifelong fans...who love the voice and feel the bond with him and his music-this can not be denied-look at our membership.
    Is it a tidal wave of fans every year-no-but he has as many fans today as in 1955, he still has more operating fan clubs than any artist living or dead
    The difference between Bing Crosby and Elvis is more complicated than you suggest.
    Bing Crosby was a huge singing star-his chart successes are legendary (although asterisked)and they rival Elvis (although Bings sales do not because of differing population in his era, differing age groups who bought records in his era, differing financial realities....IE depression, less cash, less people who could afford record players etc...)
    Elvis has a couple things which keep him moving each year that Bing did not ever have:
    1- Elvis and his explosion was an overall cultural changer for literally everything not just music. He was a trendsetter and the world literally changed because of his pioneering and selling Rock. Young people found a voice to identify with and a freedom to rebel and it sparked change.
    Bing was not a pioneer, he was not a world changing force that sparked people to think or act differently....he was a good voice with a pleasant smile....he was the top crooner among crooners.....he was top of that list.
    2-Elvis was not just a crooner, he was a rocker, a country singer, a blues singer, light opera singer who was not confined to one style one music-Bing sang country-but it sounded like a "Crooner singing country" .......Elvis sang "Country"
    Bing sang everything like he crooned-in that style in that form. It limited him.
    3-Elvis had more charisma than any mortal man who has ever walked the earth IMO His magnetism, charisma and sex appeal was/is unreal-anyone who saw him live or met him have always been dumbfounded by the feel of being in the same room with him.
    Bing was a wonderful man in a lot of ways but I really have never heard him called Chrismatic even in his heydey.

    Bing was a very talented man, won the Oscar, had great chart success and longevity in his own right but he was not a revolutionary world changer, he was not charismatic in the way that Elvis is.
    Some people have become Elvis fans...just by seeing a photo of him-that was all it took to spur them to find out more and to love him.
    You can not stop that kind of appeal, that kind of draw.
    This is an old argument-going back to 1955 when everyone who did not fully understand the impact of what Elvis was doing, what he was pioneering...nor the charismatic appeal of Elvis said:
    "This is a fad, he's a flash in the pan that will spark and die."

    Every year changes have happened since Elvis died-music is fickle and so are the young people who follow the trends and flavors of the month-but you know what...... after all the flavors of the month have been tried and tasted.....and as people age-they tend to be drawn back to old standbys that have always been there and will always be there...........Elvis is like that also.
    Last edited by KPM; 02-14-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    Work in Progress!

  19. #19
    TCB Mafia Snake Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    Great post Ken, sums it up perfectly.

  20. #20
    I'm only Your elvia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Poland - Europe
    Posts
    6,076

    Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

    Thanks, Ken this can't be more correctly recognized.
    I'll Remember You!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •