Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Graceland over take the White House for visitors?

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Can Graceland over take the White House for visitors?

In a political move the administration has decided to cancel all White House tours at the moment. So will Graceland finally over take the White House for the amount of visitors walking thru the doors? Only time will tell but I think it would be possible to knock the White House out of the number one position. Only if the tours will be canceled for a few months but I don’t think that will happen.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Re: Can Graceland over take the White House for visitors?

Like you say, it would depend on the amount of time the doors at the White House are closed. I have no idea the exact visitors figures the White House gets daily, but it's not on my list of places to see and things to do next time I come over.

I want to say the White House has around a million (83,000 a month) visitors a year and Graceland around 700 thousand (58,000 a month). So that would mean the White House would need to have tours shut down for around 4 months or so for Graceland to move ahead but I wouldn’t hold my breath that the White House will keep tours shut down for more than a month.

RIP Tommy

If Graceland overtakes the WH ....while the WH is open for normal tours...that would be reason to celebrate, but not when its closed.
    Also the literature for Washingtons Mount Vernon home-claim they have about 1 million in visitors a year and that they have had 80 million visitors since it opened to the public in 1860 but when I did the math the visitors actually came out to about 550 thousand per year on average.
    Work in Progress!

It would be nice to know the actual numbers for all these locations.

RIP Tommy

It speaks volumes that Graceland gets the numbers it does anyway regardless. Are the Whitehouse tours still free? I read somewhere they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    It speaks volumes that Graceland gets the numbers it does anyway regardless. Are the Whitehouse tours still free? I read somewhere they were.
    I really don't know if they are free or not, I have never been there.

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I really don't know if they are free or not, I have never been there.
    I just checked, they are free. Giving it away

Backstage Pass

I dont understand why the white house tours were cancelled as I thought that people volunteered for the tour guides.

I just checked, they are free. Giving it away
    Quote Originally Posted by asian1 View Post
    I dont understand why the white house tours were cancelled as I thought that people volunteered for the tour guides.
    Volunteers are the ones who run the tours, the only real cost is the Secret Service. The Secret Service will still be there even if there are no tours in the White House.

RIP Tommy

Volunteers are the ones who run the tours, the only real cost is the Secret Service. The Secret Service will still be there even if there are no tours in the White House.
    The SService is at the WH 24/7 in some form-but naturally with no tours and only scheduled visitors who are already approved..... the number of agents will be reduced because of the lack of foot traffic by people unscreened.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The SService is at the WH 24/7 in some form-but naturally with no tours and only scheduled visitors who are already approved..... the number of agents will be reduced because of the lack of foot traffic by people unscreened.
    Yes and no. Yes I'm sure the Secret Service would be reduced because only the people who have clearance will be there. But in a way no, Obama has more than doubled his Secret Service detail in his first term. So you could say that slight reduction puts his detail back with past Presidents.

I don’t think any of this will matter anyway because the tours will be back before you know it. Which they should have the tours it is the house of the people which we allow the President’s to live in. I think sometimes they forget that.

I have always thought if I had plenty of money I would pay a million dollars to sleep on the floor of the living room at Graceland. Would you be willing to pay something like that to have a night at Graceland? I bet they have probably gotten offers like that, I wonder if they ever said yes.

RIP Tommy

Yes and no. Yes I'm sure the Secret Service would be reduced because only the people who have clearance will be there. But in a way no, Obama has more than doubled his Secret Service detail in his first term. So you could say that slight reduction puts his detail back with past Presidents.

I don’t think any of this will matter anyway because the tours will be back before you know it. Which they should have the tours it is the house of the people which we allow the President’s to live in. I think sometimes they forget that.

I have always thought if I had plenty of money I would pay a million dollars to sleep on the floor of the living room at Graceland. Would you be willing to pay something like that to have a night at Graceland? I bet they have probably gotten offers like that, I wonder if they ever said yes.
    Not to quibble on details but I believe it is the Head of the Secret Service that had a hand in increasing the agents around Obama and family, mainly because of the threats and hate against him/and family.
    A bill sponsered by both Dems and Repubs added SS protection for life for all former Presidents elected after 1997, wives(unless they remarry someone in the event of the former presidents death) children under age 16.
    At one time SS protection was for life for all former presidents and first ladies-but it was reduced to 10 years at some point.
    But in a world where crazies can pop up from anywhere it seemed smart to some elected people that the law go back to life.
    I would doubt Graceland would say yes to a million dollar offer to sleep over -but who knows....money talks.
    Work in Progress!

Not to quibble on details but I believe it is the Head of the Secret Service that had a hand in increasing the agents around Obama and family, mainly because of the threats and hate against him/and family.
    A bill sponsered by both Dems and Repubs added SS protection for life for all former Presidents elected after 1997, wives(unless they remarry someone in the event of the former presidents death) children under age 16.
    At one time SS protection was for life for all former presidents and first ladies-but it was reduced to 10 years at some point.But in a world where crazies can pop up from anywhere it seemed smart to some elected people that the law go back to life.
    I would doubt Graceland would say yes to a million dollar offer to sleep over -but who knows....money talks.
    Clinton was the last President at the time to have protection for the rest of his life. Then Homeland Security changed it back to for life. Which I never understood why it was changed in the first place there are a lot of nuts out there. I don't think they need all the glitz and glamour of the actual President's detail but they do need some protection. One could argue that as much money as they will make writing books and giving million dollar speeches they could pick up some of the tab and not the tax payers.

The SS do not have the power on their own to increase or decrease the protection they provide to the President or Head of States. Those proposals have to come from Homeland Security, which the President can ask them to consider.

RIP Tommy

Clinton was the last President at the time to have protection for the rest of his life. Then Homeland Security changed it back to for life. Which I never understood why it was changed in the first place there are a lot of nuts out there. I don't think they need all the glitz and glamour of the actual President's detail but they do need some protection. One could argue that as much money as they will make writing books and giving million dollar speeches they could pick up some of the tab and not the tax payers.

The SS do not have the power on their own to increase or decrease the protection they provide to the President or Head of States. Those proposals have to come from Homeland Security, which the President can ask them to consider.
    No but its like any other situation where budgets and agencies work together-No one on their own just dictates what they want-but usually they are asked....
    "What are your recommendations and budget requirements for the next year?"
    Then whichever agency draws up its recommendations and reasoning behind them....in this case the reasoning would be Obama is a very hated figure among a certain part of the population so more leg work and actual security is needed....then those requests are sent to the next link in the chain and they will read, digest and approve, deny or make changes to the actual requests.
    Then once a budget is set for an agency-that agency does have leeway to move funds, people and materials as they see fit to accomplish their main jobs, tasks and goals. In this case protecting the president and his family.
    I would think that SS recommendations carry quite a bit of weight with everyone involved....but I'm sure they do not get everything they want.
    I think anyone who has been President probably deserves the protection for life-I have seen a President assassinated live in 1963, I saw his brother killed running for President in 68, pot shot at President Ford in 75, President Reagans near assassination in the 80s and many plots and schemes discovered before they could be put into action..
    If we don't provide protection for those Presidents and families......many good people may say-Why take the risk for myself and family so why run?
    People want to downgrade politicians and downgrade public service-(it use to be honored) and truely I would say 80% of all people who are in public life, Representatives, Senators, judges, mayors, city councilman, etc are good honest people...but the other 20% have made the public cynical and bitter about public service in general....and that is not good because those good honest people quit running and we are left each decade with a higher percentage of the bad.
    Unfortunately absolute freedom-corrupts from within.....because it births one freedom that America does not really want-the freedom to stay uninvolved, uninformed and a tendency to be paranoid...the freedom to be critical with no real brain work behind that critique, the freedom to jump at the worst conclusions with no real investigation or basis....the nuts grow bigger each year -not limited to one side or another they are from every angle and walk of life. Its sad for good honest folks.
    Work in Progress!

No but its like any other situation where budgets and agencies work together-No one on their own just dictates what they want-but usually they are asked....
    "What are your recommendations and budget requirements for the next year?"
    Then whichever agency draws up its recommendations and reasoning behind them....in this case the reasoning would be Obama is a very hated figure among a certain part of the population so more leg work and actual security is needed....then those requests are sent to the next link in the chain and they will read, digest and approve, deny or make changes to the actual requests.
    Then once a budget is set for an agency-that agency does have leeway to move funds, people and materials as they see fit to accomplish their main jobs, tasks and goals. In this case protecting the president and his family.
    I would think that SS recommendations carry quite a bit of weight with everyone involved....but I'm sure they do not get everything they want.
    I think anyone who has been President probably deserves the protection for life-I have seen a President assassinated live in 1963, I saw his brother killed running for President in 68, pot shot at President Ford in 75, President Reagans near assassination in the 80s and many plots and schemes discovered before they could be put into action..
    If we don't provide protection for those Presidents and families......many good people may say-Why take the risk for myself and family so why run?
    People want to downgrade politicians and downgrade public service-(it use to be honored) and truely I would say 80% of all people who are in public life, Representatives, Senators, judges, mayors, city councilman, etc are good honest people...but the other 20% have made the public cynical and bitter about public service in general....and that is not good because those good honest people quit running and we are left each decade with a higher percentage of the bad.
    Unfortunately absolute freedom-corrupts from within.....because it births one freedom that America does not really want-the freedom to stay uninvolved, uninformed and a tendency to be paranoid...the freedom to be critical with no real brain work behind that critique, the freedom to jump at the worst conclusions with no real investigation or basis....the nuts grow bigger each year -not limited to one side or another they are from every angle and walk of life. Its sad for good honest folks.
    Yes, that is what I was saying that the secret service cannot just add or take away from security with the Heads of State. They have to notify the Department of Homeland Security if they would like to change their budget for the Presidents detail. You were the one who said it came from the head of Secret Service to increase the security. When all they can do is ask for the extra expense.

I don’t think I will shock you by saying that I did not vote for Obama the first time or second time. I did not fall into all the hope and change stuff that he was spilling out. I think he has been an absolutely horrible President and at times an embarrassment to the Office. I don’t like him and don’t like his policies. But that being said I do not want anything to happen to him or his family. So I do think that every President has the right to be protected to the up most security. It is sad that there are sick people in the world that cannot just disagree with someone they have to try and get there name in the paper.

I don’t know if I could say that most people want to stay informed about what is going on in this country. It is sad really. I spoke with a guy the other day that said I only vote on what effects me and that to me is part of the problem. I think a lot of people turn a blind eye and just let the officials do anything they want as long as it doesn’t affect them You should vote for what is best for the country not best for you. I have always said I really do not totally trust politicians on both side of the isle. I think that most of them will tell you what you want to hear and not what they really want to do. I wish they would be completely honest. Unfortunately I believe we are turning into a society that wants the government to provide for the people and a lot of people seem to be ok with that.

RIP Tommy

I love my country, but I hate what the government and politicians have done to it. We are at breaking point and the government do not care. It is not racist to admit that we don't want more immigrants, I'm all for diversity and if people want to make a better life for themselves in the UK, then get a job, pay your taxes and don't expect everyone else to pay for you. It's not just an immigrants issue either.

Everything thing I own, I have worked hard for. I wish more people had the same attitude, but unfortunately most are happy to claim 35?? quid a week to sit at home watching Jeremy Kyle. Ponces.

I love my country, but I hate what the government and politicians have done to it. We are at breaking point and the government do not care. It is not racist to admit that we don't want more immigrants, I'm all for diversity and if people want to make a better life for themselves in the UK, then get a job, pay your taxes and don't expect everyone else to pay for you. It's not just an immigrants issue either.

Everything thing I own, I have worked hard for. I wish more people had the same attitude, but unfortunately most are happy to claim 35?? quid a week to sit at home watching Jeremy Kyle. Ponces.
    I hear ya and agree with ya.

RIP Tommy

I will not refight out "mini war of words" again about our country, Obama, nor Dems and Repubs.....but I do not agree that people "want to be dependent" upon government or expect government to take care of them. Every single program that helps people are not just wasteful spending nor some sort of socialist agenda....and there is no freedom without a government of some kind-because "absolute freedom corrupts" you have to rules and regulations.
    I grew up in the 50s and 60s-and compared to the people before me in the 30s and 40s it was a pretty good time to grow up in-but the people in the 30s and 40s thought that compared to the early 1900s things were pretty good for them.....each generation thinks things are the worst they have ever been....everyone looks back and says "the good old days"
    I believe we all have an obligation to the country-I signed up for the draft in 1972-would not have liked being drafted but it was an obligation ....today, compared to my generation, is as cushy as it gets...no worries about being drafted for 2-4 years (we could save a lot of money in the military by going back to the "Obligation status of a draft" in which every young man and perhaps woman 18-26 (18-35 in WW2) would have to serve a 2-4 years hitch in the military. The all volunteer army costs much more in terms of pay-resigning bonuses and perks than the old draft setup...but would the generation today accept that ......probably not. The feeling of Absolute freedom corrupts...how dare the country ask me to join the service...the audacity
    Absolute freedom insinuates not answering to anyone for anything-its just not possible...so you need a governing body.
    People are so wrapped up today in themselves-that they feel they should have no strings, no obligations, no outside governance
    Obama is disliked for many reasons and I am sorry my friend many of those are bogus.
    Still people say he is a Muslim, is not legal by birth, say that he is a communist or a socialist (and as I have pointed out if he is, so is Reagan, Bush, Nixon, and most elected representatives who have ever voted for tax breaks for individuals or corporations because it is moving funds from one area to another) or for anyone who has voted for SS, Medicare for elderly and Medicaid for the poor.
    Wall Street just hit a record high, jobs were way up above expectations in Jan and Feb factory orders are up-yet according to predictions before the election-we should be seeing horrid numbers and a collapsed economy.
    We are never going to be a society that has "absolute freedom" it is not possible-if you can point to any other nation on earth that is more free that we are-stronger that we are I'll weigh that info.
    I am not ready to just roll up the carpets and say America is done-some are.... I am not.
    Obama is different-and people dislike different......ah the good old days.......
    I will not post again about Obama, Dems, or Repubs on this thread....it becomes a tit for tat situation and I'm not sure any common ground can be reached since we have had lengthy debate before.
    Romney was not hated for his fiscal plans, Romney was not hated for his family history of rich and influential status........nor for his families history of public service I did not dislike him, just did not think his trickle down retreaded plans were correct .........but Obama is hated by the far right-period...no reason needed.
    That has been and will always be-unfair.
    Last edited by KPM; 03-10-2013 at 12:50 PM.
    Work in Progress!

Yes I can agree that we will go back tit for tat but I have to point out a few things about your comments. There are some things that are not true.

First, the reason why I say people are becoming more dependent on the government is because of several reasons. Back “in the day” under Clinton the GDP was 18%, now under Obama it’s 24%. That is the government growing more and more. The government is now almost 25% of the economy. In the Bush years he was around Clinton’s number. All economists (and there have been many studies) will tell you that GDP should be around 14-18%. The 18% number is enough to provide national security, take care of people who cannot take care of themselves and enough for the private sector to be prosperous. With GDP being 24% of our economy we are doing more than we can afford. It is no longer providing defense, defending and protecting the Constitution and building roads and bridges and providing for the needy. Now they're doing much, much more. We cannot afford that.

Yes and the unemployment rate went from 7.9 to 7.7 this week. But here is the reason for this, if you use Washington’s calculator you get there numbers. J.C. Penney in the same week laid off around 2,200 people. So yes the unemployment rate went down to 7.7%, know that a minimum of 2,200 people lost their job, that's just J.C. Penney, more and more happening all over the country. Another 130,000 people dropped out of the labor force which means that the number of jobs that are available to be filled fell by 130,000 in Febuary. Since Obama has been in office the job market has dropped to 8.5 million. That means there are 8.5 million fewer jobs in this country right now. The numbers have dropped because people can’t find a job and they quit looking. These people are not counted as unemployed because they've given up looking. They've gone through their 99 weeks of unemployment and there isn't anything. The small businesses that make up 90% of the workforce are either not hiring or they have closed their business. So the way the government looks at this, if you're not looking for a job you're not counted as unemployed. You're just forgotten. If you don’t believe me you can look up any of these numbers I’m telling you. What is also interesting to know is that the people who have more than one job have gone up in record amounts. When they can find a job it is only part time. Full time employees have dropped at record amounts in the last 4 years.

The main nugget of information on all of this is again there are 8.5 million less jobs in the last 4 years.

I would like to hear what you think has been so great about Obama and why he will be hated by the right for “no reasons”.

Here are my reasons why I say he has been a terrible President. This information is all true, not made up.

6 trillion dollars in new debt, he called Bush un-American for 4 trillion in 8 years.
    Trillion dollar deficits every year. At this rate we will be at 20 trillion for our national debt when he leaves office.
    50 million people on food stamps, 25 million have been in his 4 years.
    4 dead Americans in Bengazi with no answers. 3 request for help and told to stand down. Leon Panetta told under oath that he told Obama what was happening and Obama went back to bed and never asked Panetta what was the outcome. Some leadership.
    8.5 million less jobs in his 4 years
    We are going to spend 3.4 trillion dollars this year more than each previous years. This doesn't even include Obama care.
    He uses scare tactics to try and get his way. That is not leadership.

RIP Tommy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast