Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

Re: What do you think? Will Elvis be forgotten like this article says?

It's only natural that Elvis will fade into the background more as time passes. He's still amazingly popular after being gone so long. He still interests people because he stands out from the pack. People will always discover him and he will always make new fans. Just don't expect him to be as relevant to the general public as he has been in the past. He's not front page news anymore but he will always have a loyal fan base.

TCB Mafia

In reply to Ken's post.

Yes, i am aware the original fans are alreadly dying off.

I mean even more Elvis fans will have died off in 20 years and every single one of the original fans might be dead by then.

1. Yes, that's the one major difference between Elvis and Crosby however that may not mean as much as you think in the future.

W.C. Handy and The Carter Family aren't really remembered that much by the current generation or the one before it so who knows how people will feel about Elvis' contributions 20 years from now.

2. I don't think that necessarily matters when it comes to whether or not Elvis will continue to endure in popularity.

3. That is your opinion.

I Just think as we get further and further away from Elvis' death in 1977 he doesn't and cannot have as much personal reasonance with as many people as he once did.
    And it is enivatable that Elvis' will fade at some point.

You have to be 41 or 42 years old just to remember a time when Elvis was alive and walked the earth.

There are people that were born the year of Elvis' major breakthrough in 1956 that are now great grandfather's and grandmother's.

[I]Yes every single original fan may be dead in 20 years-so correct-but not the tier 2 fans, nor tier 3, 4, 5, etc......
    E-V-E-R-Y year since 1955 Elvis has made fans-that includes the 35 years since he died including 2012.
    Another point about fans there children more times than not end up being fans....when I saw Elvis in 76 seated to our right was 7 seats filled with a grandmother, her 2 daughters and 4 grandaughter all fans...the grandmother was seated next to my wife and she was 60 the whole group had to be between the ages of 60 and 7.....my own kids like Elvis and enjoy his music but are not hardcore fans...my oldest daughter has been to Graceland with a group of her friends a few years back-all were under 26..they plan to go again.
    You seem to think only the original fans keep the memory of Elvis alive-it is every generation since 1955 in varying numbers.
    Yes he will not gain 40 million fans a year-like a Bieber-but Bieber is the Hare right this moment-fast and moving like...the Backstreet Boys a few yers back, or New Kid On the Block, or Jewel, or any artist that jumps high and has 3-5 huge years then slows to a crawl....Elvis in 2013 is the tortoise steadily making a way forward into the future. I am not under any illusions that he will ever again be the hottest thing on earth...but he is not going to disappear as you suggest.

1-Historical figures continue on and Elvis is a historical cultural figure. On a comparison level-Crosby is President Taft a very bland figure in presidential history......Elvis is Lincoln or Washington, who are revered today, whos homes are still huge tourist attractions and who are still quoted still seen as national treasures.
    Elvis's Home is listed a Historic Landmark... how many rock artists have that Honor? Sets him way above Crosby or most any other artists.
    That homes draws people the world over-not people who consider Elvis the hottest performer of 2013-but people who understand and appreciate his historic significance in cultural history and who perhaps also love his voice.....and these are not just older original fans-they are a cross section of age, cross section of financial standing, a cross section of the world population...people like the young miner who was trapped in the cave in a while back who loved Elvis and wanted to visit Graceland if he lived.....a guy who was not even born when Elvis died-this type of adulation and love is not normal to the common entertainer.... lets be real about how "unique" Elvis is.
    2-The reason I mentioned the difference of vocal ability/versatility between Crosby and Elvis was to show why Elvis is still today as popular as he is and why Bing fell by the wayside. You may not see the relevance but to me its clear....Crosbys appeal was limited-by his lone crooning ability Elvis was a chameleon. Chameleons can attract and fit in with anything or anybody...even in 2013 or 2033.
    WC Handy was no Elvis, and I loved the Carter Family but they did not start a revolution which changed music and culture from that moment on.
    I'm not sure how you correlate Carter Family with Elvis? Worlds apart in importance and worldwide cultural change. Elvis is not common, he is "unique" beyond the meaning of the word.
    3-The CHARISMA of Elvis-which you call "my opinion" With all due respect its not just my opinion listen to anyone who met him speak in interview-they will back up my opinion....Whitney Houston said when he walked in it was not like you started asking questions you just stood in awe.
    Shelley Fabares the actress in Girl Happy, Spinout and Clambake said recently that she had her back to the stage door entrance and suddenly felt an odd feeling in the room and everything became still..she turned and Elvis had just entered the room.........Jerry Reed on a live album says Elvis was the handsomest most electrifing person he ever met.......BB King said Elvis was an extraordiary talent who just had something nobody else had....not just a few people back me up on the huge Charisma of ELvis but virtually everyone who ever met him or saw him perform that has spoke about him says the same thing-ONE OF A KIND.
    Yes you have to be in your 40s to remember Elvis as he walked the earth-many members here are not 40...many members at FECC are not 40.
    My kids are not 40, my brothers son is 22 and he loves Elvis along with Led Zepplin and the Beatles.

Beethoven is dead hundreds of years ......all the grandfathers and great grandmothers who ever heard his music while alive are dead and gone-yet he is still remembered his home still visited-his music still played....to packed houses........he is not the hottest thing on the planet in music..but is still remembered and honored-not forgotten.
    Sillerman when he negotiated his agreement for 85% of Elvis's image insisted upon a 99 year lease with Lisa to use Graceland.
    He must have seen the potential for 99 years of ticket buyers, 99 years of sales of merchandise-else why sign such a lease?
    I think you sell the reason for this website-a little short my friend.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    It's only natural that Elvis will fade into the background more as time passes. He's still amazingly popular after being gone so long. He still interests people because he stands out from the pack. People will always discover him and he will always make new fans. Just don't expect him to be as relevant to the general public as he has been in the past. He's not front page news anymore but he will always have a loyal fan base.
    Total agreement-its what I am trying to get across.
    Work in Progress!

Bottom line, as long as Graceland stays open and relevant then Elvis has an even longer longevity.

Brian, you are missing the point that Elvis was a historical worldwide figure. Not just another singer. Crosby was not worldly idolized. Neither was Sinatra. Yes they have had fame and success but nowhere near a tenth of what Elvis has had and remains to have today. If Elvis was going to fade he would have by now as the majority of the people who were there when he started out have passed on. But he's only gotten bigger with time. The majority of visitors to Graceland are under 35, meaning they weren't born when he passed. As technology is discovered and advanced, Elvis is the one who's always mentioned as a way to bring him back. You don't hear of a demand for a virtual Bing Crosby or Frank Sinatra tour.

Another way that Elvis will never be forgotten is the fact that there's now over 50 statues throughout the US and the world of Elvis to make sure that he is NOT forgotten as time passes. Elvis wasn't just a famous singer or entertainer. He was the image, the definition and the dream of what America was and still is. Grow up poor and become rich. Everyone will always be able to relate to that alone. Therefor he will forever be remembered as a cultural iconic figure who changed the world. There may even be a town eventually named after Elvis. I still think we'll see his birthday recognized as a holiday one day, and in our lifetime.

"With Elvis there would be no Beatles" - John Lennon
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia

Washington and Lincoln are remembered but they aren't remembered as much as Elvis has been.

If 20 years from now Elvis is viewed strictly as a historical figure like Washington and Lincoln that would still be a drop in popularity and relevance for him.

My comparison to Bing Crosby wasn't meant to mean that him and Elvis were a like i'm very aware that they had different careers and they took different roads.

I can see similarities with how Bing Crosby fall out of favor with the public and is no longer a popular figure.

The same things that caused Bing Crosby to become obscure and irrelevant could quite possibly be the same reasons that Elvis falls from popularity in the years to come.

Regardless of the differences between them in terms of charisma or singing style.

The Carter Family were pioneers of country music like Elvis was a pioneer of rock n' roll.

Yet The Carter Family are not considered important by todays country music fans even though they are.

There may come a time when Elvis is viewed like that.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    [I]Yes every single original fan may be dead in 20 years-so correct-but not the tier 2 fans, nor tier 3, 4, 5, etc......
    E-V-E-R-Y year since 1955 Elvis has made fans-that includes the 35 years since he died including 2012.
    Another point about fans there children more times than not end up being fans....when I saw Elvis in 76 seated to our right was 7 seats filled with a grandmother, her 2 daughters and 4 grandaughter all fans...the grandmother was seated next to my wife and she was 60 the whole group had to be between the ages of 60 and 7.....my own kids like Elvis and enjoy his music but are not hardcore fans...my oldest daughter has been to Graceland with a group of her friends a few years back-all were under 26..they plan to go again.
    You seem to think only the original fans keep the memory of Elvis alive-it is every generation since 1955 in varying numbers.
    Yes he will not gain 40 million fans a year-like a Bieber-but Bieber is the Hare right this moment-fast and moving like...the Backstreet Boys a few yers back, or New Kid On the Block, or Jewel, or any artist that jumps high and has 3-5 huge years then slows to a crawl....Elvis in 2013 is the tortoise steadily making a way forward into the future. I am not under any illusions that he will ever again be the hottest thing on earth...but he is not going to disappear as you suggest.

1-Historical figures continue on and Elvis is a historical cultural figure. On a comparison level-Crosby is President Taft a very bland figure in presidential history......Elvis is Lincoln or Washington, who are revered today, whos homes are still huge tourist attractions and who are still quoted still seen as national treasures.
    Elvis's Home is listed a Historic Landmark... how many rock artists have that Honor? Sets him way above Crosby or most any other artists.
    That homes draws people the world over-not people who consider Elvis the hottest performer of 2013-but people who understand and appreciate his historic significance in cultural history and who perhaps also love his voice.....and these are not just older original fans-they are a cross section of age, cross section of financial standing, a cross section of the world population...people like the young miner who was trapped in the cave in a while back who loved Elvis and wanted to visit Graceland if he lived.....a guy who was not even born when Elvis died-this type of adulation and love is not normal to the common entertainer.... lets be real about how "unique" Elvis is.
    2-The reason I mentioned the difference of vocal ability/versatility between Crosby and Elvis was to show why Elvis is still today as popular as he is and why Bing fell by the wayside. You may not see the relevance but to me its clear....Crosbys appeal was limited-by his lone crooning ability Elvis was a chameleon. Chameleons can attract and fit in with anything or anybody...even in 2013 or 2033.
    WC Handy was no Elvis, and I loved the Carter Family but they did not start a revolution which changed music and culture from that moment on.
    I'm not sure how you correlate Carter Family with Elvis? Worlds apart in importance and worldwide cultural change. Elvis is not common, he is "unique" beyond the meaning of the word.
    3-The CHARISMA of Elvis-which you call "my opinion" With all due respect its not just my opinion listen to anyone who met him speak in interview-they will back up my opinion....Whitney Houston said when he walked in it was not like you started asking questions you just stood in awe.
    Shelley Fabares the actress in Girl Happy, Spinout and Clambake said recently that she had her back to the stage door entrance and suddenly felt an odd feeling in the room and everything became still..she turned and Elvis had just entered the room.........Jerry Reed on a live album says Elvis was the handsomest most electrifing person he ever met.......BB King said Elvis was an extraordiary talent who just had something nobody else had....not just a few people back me up on the huge Charisma of ELvis but virtually everyone who ever met him or saw him perform that has spoke about him says the same thing-ONE OF A KIND.
    Yes you have to be in your 40s to remember Elvis as he walked the earth-many members here are not 40...many members at FECC are not 40.
    My kids are not 40, my brothers son is 22 and he loves Elvis along with Led Zepplin and the Beatles.

Beethoven is dead hundreds of years ......all the grandfathers and great grandmothers who ever heard his music while alive are dead and gone-yet he is still remembered his home still visited-his music still played....to packed houses........he is not the hottest thing on the planet in music..but is still remembered and honored-not forgotten.
    Sillerman when he negotiated his agreement for 85% of Elvis's image insisted upon a 99 year lease with Lisa to use Graceland.
    He must have seen the potential for 99 years of ticket buyers, 99 years of sales of merchandise-else why sign such a lease?
    I think you sell the reason for this website-a little short my friend.
    Very well said and I totally agree. Love the Elvis comparison to Lincoln and Washington. That's exactly how he is seen by the mass majority of people today. Some don't like him or his music yet understand his importance.

TCB Mafia

VivaElvis- stop spouting ridiculous nonsense.

I know Elvis is a historical figure i acknowledged that.

That's not the point.

I am just making brilliant points that you cannot comprehend so stop trying.

You are wrong about Bing Crosby and Sinatra being idolized worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Washington and Lincoln are remembered but they aren't remembered as much as Elvis has been.

If 20 years from now Elvis is viewed strictly as a historical figure like Washington and Lincoln that would still be a drop in popularity and relevance for him.

My comparison to Bing Crosby wasn't meant to mean that him and Elvis were a like i'm very aware that they had different careers and they took different roads.

I can see similarities with how Bing Crosby fall out of favor with the public and is no longer a popular figure.

The same things that caused Bing Crosby to become obscure and irrelevant could quite possibly be the same reasons that Elvis falls from popularity in the years to come.

Regardless of the differences between them in terms of charisma or singing style.

The Carter Family were pioneers of country music like Elvis was a pioneer of rock n' roll.

Yet The Carter Family are not considered important by todays country music fans even though they are.

Dude, just stop. Your posts are getting ridiculous now. Rock music is the foundation of all music because all genres today are inspired by rock. Rock and country aren't even on the same planet. You obviously are too young to understand the value, legacy and importance of Elvis Presley.

Just take Graceland for example. If they or the new owners were concerned about Elvis' popularity fading, they certainly would not be planning to spend millions to keep it relevant with a major expansion that's being planned. If Elvis was fading then he wouldn't trend on twitter which is mostly used by young adults to mid aged people.

The Carter Family were pioneers of country music like Elvis was a pioneer of rock n' roll.Yet The Carter Family are not considered important by todays country music fans even though they are.

We are not really talking about relevance or even popularity-this thread is about being forgotten totally. Elvis today is not a relevant creative force in music-but he is still a "recognised very sellable, force in music" Charisma and talent keep that going-can't make it clearer than that. Is Elvis still popular-I have made it clear-he is not as popular as he was alive in his heydey-but thats a far cry from being forgotten and legacy over.
    This site is proof he has younger fans, the faces at Graceland prove he has younger fans...not just 57 year olds like me-why should another 20 years change his ability to reach portions of the younger crowd....he always has.....you can only go by what you see as example in life on any subject.......has Elvis gained fans every years since 55-yes....why should 20 years suddenly change that fact?
    Why should someone dead 35 years be still sellable-still drawing young crowds to concerts that show his image on a screen, still promoted by his label even though no new music is in the vaults...because he sells...in order to sell you must have an audience....in order to have an audience you must attract people by some talent-to attract young people in any numbers and be dead....is a huge accomplishment.
    To get a record label to spend any cash at all to promote an artist dead 35 years with no new material available is astonding.
    To get an investor to spend 100 million in cash plus stock options, for a 99 year lease to a home and for the image and likeness of an artist dead 35 years (and not even getting the music or film work of that artist) is more than astonding-its totally never happened in history-until Elvis...if all of this does not translate-U-N-I-Q-U-E.......one of a kind-all past rules do not apply-then I'm missing something.
    Once again Crosby did not have the Charisma-Crosby was not a cultural historical game changer-so the reasons Crosby did not stand the test of time are less likely to affect Elvis. No one has jumped at the chance to spend 100 million-or 1 dollar to set up a deal for his likeness and image for the next century....................nor any other artist or entertainer I am aware of.
    The Carters were indeed pioneers of Country Music-but their relevance was not felt beyond the US-unlike the huge changes the world saw with Elvis and rock-huge, huge difference. I am not putting them down-they were great artists and naturally June was a great comedian and singer with Johnny Cash.... but there is not worldwide connection for the Carters-as Elvis had and has.

Even though an artist like Garth Brooks is huge in the US his sales worldwide are not impressive and his chart success in other countries is not also.
    George Strait is claimed to have more number 1s than any artist in history-but only on the country charts-not the overall charts so his claim is less weighty and important.
    Elvis will not just die away-he literally died-but still his legacy thrives.....without owning his own music or films-he still thrives.
    60 million in earnings-Dead 35 years-how can that not be thriving.
    Sony just spent probably a couple hundred thousand dollars on the PFAP release of Garden shows and 8mm film...what dead artist gets that kind of treatment (even though I thought they did a lousy job of promotion and distribution)
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Is anyone going to admit that i have a point and what i say might happen.

You are all going to sit there and say that Elvis Presley will always have the popularity and relevance that he has without conceding that i might be right.

I find VivaElvis posts weird and disturbing because he just dismisses my points totally without thought or consideration.

Does Viva Elvis not understand how old i am or how long i've been an Elvis fan.

I am not a young man or a new Elvis fan.

It is clear that VivaElvis doesn't understand my point.

It is obvious he is too young or doesn't understand.

VivaElvis is talking about Elvis right now but that's not the point.

P.S. VivaElvis is crazy.

You are all going to sit there and say that Elvis Presley will always have the popularity and relevance that he has without conceding that i might be right.

I find VivaElvis posts weird and disturbing because he just dismisses my points totally without thought or consideration.

P.S. VivaElvis is crazy.
    Brian, all I'm going to say to that is when Graceland closes then you can make that claim. You sound mentally challenged.

You are all going to sit there and say that Elvis Presley will always have the popularity and relevance that he has without conceding that i might be right.I find VivaElvis posts weird and disturbing because he just dismisses my points totally without thought or consideration.

P.S. VivaElvis is crazy.
    Brian..you must believe in your points...but I also believe in mine-I have 60 years of data, 60 years of experience to compare your scenerio of Elvis being forgotten and Elvis' ability to gain fans and then.... ask myself does it sound logical that after a proven 60 years track record of survival (even after death) that he will just be forgotten. I just do not see it as a possibility. I see his legacy growing each year as fans die new fans will be gained...thats the way of the last 60 years
    I do not say Elvis will have relevance nor the same popularity in the future-I have indeed conceded he is not relevant to current music-but he is still a hugely sellable musical force that has hundreds of millions invested into his legacy over the last 10 years-and he gains new fans every year (why invest in someone who does not?)

As far as personal attacks on anyone-thats not how we are here you know that my friend.
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Now is that polite to call me mentally challenged Viva Elvis.

TCB Mafia

I respect your point of view Ken.

I'm having trouble with another poster.

I respect your point of view Ken.

I'm having trouble with another poster.
    I have done nothing but point out facts. You on the other hand have chosen not to hear them. That's your problem. And you are acting like you are mentally challenged. It wasn't a personal attack.

TCB Mafia

Oh B.S.

ViVaElvis is a mentally challenged weenie that knows nothing.

That wasn't a personal attack.
    Last edited by Brian; 02-14-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Well................I am one of the original fans,if i am still here in 20 years,which i pray i am,and if this site is still here,which i hope it is,then i will post and say not ALL of us have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy parkinson View Post
    Well................I am one of the original fans,if i am still here in 20 years,which i pray i am,and if this site is still here,which i hope it is,then i will post and say not ALL of us have gone.
    That makes two of us who want to be here in 20 years I wish us both good health and luck!
    Work in Progress!

Doubtful that I will be here in twenty years but the younger fans can take it from there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast