Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Carpenters Elvis

TCB Mafia

Re: John Carpenters Elvis

Did Kajo just say that the 1979 Biopic wasn't done as well as the Jonathan Rhys Meyer's biopic.

The Jonathan Rhys Meyer's film was very poorly made and is probably the most inaccurate movie that's been made about Elvis.

None of them have been very good but the Rhys Meyer's one was the worst.

I am a huge Kurt Russel fan but The Thing was the grossest movie that i can recall ever seeing.

The Thing was a great movie and oh Brian this is just a matter of personal opinion and taste. And yes I did say that it wasn't done as well as the Myers movie. And I wasn't being ironic. I really see it that way. I think the Rhys Meyers movie was great and is definitely one of the best if not the best movie that was made about Elvis so far. I think he acted it really well the rest of the cast was great too. Don't forget Brian that was a mini-series that was made into a movie. A tv movie just like the Elvis from 1979 with Russell.

John Carpenter's ELVIS is the second-best biopic (after THIS IS ELVIS).

I think Kurt Russell gave the best portrayal of Elvis out of all the actors who have played him.

The movie ELVIS is notable because Charlie Hodge and Kathy Westmoreland play themselves. And of course, the Comet suit Kurt Russell wears at the end of the film is in fact Elvis' actual suit (sans the real belt)! This has always blown my mind that Kurt Russel wore a genuine jumpsuit- how did the producers get access to it? Why didn't they just have a replica suit made?

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    The Thing was a great movie and oh Brian this is just a matter of personal opinion and taste. And yes I did say that it wasn't done as well as the Myers movie. And I wasn't being ironic. I really see it that way. I think the Rhys Meyers movie was great and is definitely one of the best if not the best movie that was made about Elvis so far. I think he acted it really well the rest of the cast was great too. Don't forget Brian that was a mini-series that was made into a movie. A tv movie just like the Elvis from 1979 with Russell.
    You are in the minority with that opinion.

Back then its was more than all right!, that of course as a TV Movie and the very first try to do an Elvis Bioptic. Kurt is still the best Elvis to date.

Yet, it is true that it hasn't aged too well, its a bit dull to watch now days. Also, what we know about Elvis personal life today is miles away from what we knew then, so it also looks kind of poor documented today, I don't think it seemed like that back then.

Still entertaining as a fan, but a new bioptic for the big screen is mostly needed, something that anybody who enjoys a good movie will buy, Elvis fans or not. I still believe Tatantino should be the man. I know, not too many will agree with that.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 02-19-2013 at 04:50 PM.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Still entertaining as a fan, but a new bioptic for the big screen is mostly needed, something that anybody who enjoys a good movie will buy, Elvis fans or not. I still believe Tatantino should be the man. I know, not too many will agree with that.
    I agree with you.

I've always thought that Quentin Tarantino would be the best choice to direct a big screen Elvis biopic.

Unfortunately that will never happen.
    Last edited by Brian; 02-20-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    When I first watched the Kurt Russell/Carpenter film in79 Ifelt it was a good tv film-but over time I have seen the flaws and inaccuracies and its just not as good as I recall.
    Russell gave a great performance-but it just does not save the film.
    Dick Clark produced it and it was a little chintzy production wise.
    Plus like most of these films about Elvis his singing was dubbed.....how anyone expects to do a film about Elvis without his singing voice is perplexing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    The concept of the movie was good. Take a portion of Elvis' story and tell it. Just too dang difficult to do a bio of his whole life.

A more facinating bio would be his beginning up to the army induction. Take a detailed look at the rock and roll revolution and Elvis' role in it, and use REAL Elvis music.

One word is why they couldn't use Elvis's real voice: ROYALTIES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post

I think Kurt Russell gave the best portrayal of Elvis out of all the actors who have played him.

The movie ELVIS is notable because Charlie Hodge and Kathy Westmoreland play themselves. And of course, the Comet suit Kurt Russell wears at the end of the film is in fact Elvis' actual suit (sans the real belt)! This has always blown my mind that Kurt Russel wore a genuine jumpsuit- how did the producers get access to it? Why didn't they just have a replica suit made?

They were LOANED the Adonis jumpsuit by Vernon Presley. There were no people who could actually re-create Elvis's jumpsuits to exact porportions (until B&K Enterprises came along - but by then it was too late).

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Back then its was more than all right!, that of course as a TV Movie and the very first try to do an Elvis Bioptic. Kurt is still the best Elvis to date.

Yet, it is true that it hasn't aged too well, its a bit dull to watch now days. Also, what we know about Elvis personal life today is miles away from what we knew then, so it also looks kind of poor documented today, I don't think it seemed like that back then.

That works for me I still haven't actually made it through the film yet.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I agree with you.

I've always thought that Quentin Tarantino would be the best choice to direct a big screen Elvis biopic.

Unfortunately that will never happen.
    He would have "Elvis" in a movie karate kick someone in the head and their brains would splatter all over the place......

I know he is a fan but when I picture Tarantino doing a movie it’s a violent movie not a well done biography.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    He would have "Elvis" in a movie karate kick someone in the head and their brains would splatter all over the place......

I know he is a fan but when I picture Tarantino doing a movie itís a violent movie not a well done biography.
    He is capable of doing different types of films.

Jackie Brown was not a violent movie.

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post

I know he is a fan but when I picture Tarantino doing a movie it’s a violent movie not a well done biography.
    It wouldn't be a straight historic bioptic like the Ray Charles or the Johnny Cash ones for sure. But that would be the trick to me! The half true half fiction non linear narrative Tarantino has perfected this days, would be the perfect vehicle to capture the half true-half legend, half man-half icon aura that the Elvis story always retains.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 02-20-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post

I didn't mention This is Elvis as it is more of a Documentary. I'm really glad that Charlie and Kathy are in the movie but that didn't help much either too much was just missing. And yes he wore the White Adonis suit from 1972 another thing that was wrong in the movie because the movie ends in 1969 and Elvis was wearing the Adonis suit in 1972. But as I said the film was for the time really well done and it's a great movie but now we need something new and fresh it kinda got old.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Still holds up. Not all true, but that's typical of Hollywood...the best thing remains Kurt Russell's characterization, which was excellent. Actually, when I first became aware of Elvis I saw Kurt Russell (I think he was in a TV show called "The Quest," at the time) and thought, "whoa...he could play Elvis in a movie" and, not too long after, I saw he'd been cast to do just that.

The Rhys-Meyers thing sucked. They spent a lot, had good production values, and all of that, but he just didn't have any Elvis in him. He looked a like a kid in his father's clothes trying to recreate the '68 TV special stuff...bleh. Zero charisma, too scrawny, and just too lacking in anything that helped make Elvis stands out in terms of visual presence. Still better than Don Johnson's turn, I guess, and certainly better than the nadir, "Elvis And The Colonel."
    I'm a roving roustabout...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    You are in the minority with that opinion.
    Says who? You? Excuse me my friend I might be in the minority maybe on this message board but believe me I have met so many Elvis fans of all ages and more than 70 percent of them agree with me Brian. Just face the fact. The movie with Russell is great I love it but it's old and really so much is missing and that's why it's not a proper biopic. I think you should know that since you are such a die hard Elvis (Mr.Know it all) fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    Thanks Tony.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    Says who? You? Excuse me my friend I might be in the minority maybe on this message board but believe me I have met so many Elvis fans of all ages and more than 70 percent of them agree with me Brian. Just face the fact. The movie with Russell is great I love it but it's old and really so much is missing and that's why it's not a proper biopic. I think you should know that since you are such a die hard Elvis (Mr.Know it all) fan.
    If there are a lot of people that liked The Rhy's Meyers movie then God help us all.

I am referring to the internet Elvis community the movie was widely panned by the majority of us when that came out.

I remember it being widely panned by people associated with Elvis.

Those are the facts pal.

I can't help it it's just true.

I'm doing the film in stages and I'm up to the informal suspicious minds session, so far the films ok. Kurt Russell is better than I thought he would be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12