Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Carpenters Elvis

John Carpenters Elvis

I got bought this for Christmas, just about to watch it. I like John Carpenter but is this any good?

Re: John Carpenters Elvis

never seen it/heard of it Jen....cant help you
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

TCB Mafia

I didn't like the movie it jumped around too much.

I think you'll know what i mean after you watch it.

If they hadn't done that i probably would have liked it better.

This film had a really great cast and a great director but unfortunately it is not a great film.

The Kurt Russell one Deb, I started watching it then my mate called so didn't finish it. I don't know how I missed the John Carpenter connection though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I didn't like the movie it jumped around too much.

I think you'll know what i mean after you watch it.

If they hadn't done that i probably would have liked it better.

This film had a really great cast and a great director but unfortunately it is not a great film.
    I got to the bit where he was driving after the guy who punched him.

When I first watched the Kurt Russell/Carpenter film in79 Ifelt it was a good tv film-but over time I have seen the flaws and inaccuracies and its just not as good as I recall.
    Russell gave a great performance-but it just does not save the film.
    Dick Clark produced it and it was a little chintzy production wise.
    Plus like most of these films about Elvis his singing was dubbed.....how anyone expects to do a film about Elvis without his singing voice is perplexing.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    The Kurt Russell one Deb, I started watching it then my mate called so didn't finish it. I don't know how I missed the John Carpenter connection though.
    got ya'....it was the 'John Carpenter' bit that threw me

its not bad.....but long over due a decent bio of him
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

TCB Mafia

The concept of the movie was good. Take a portion of Elvis' story and tell it. Just too dang difficult to do a bio of his whole life.

A more facinating bio would be his beginning up to the army induction. Take a detailed look at the rock and roll revolution and Elvis' role in it, and use REAL Elvis music.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    The concept of the movie was good. Take a portion of Elvis' story and tell it. Just too dang difficult to do a bio of his whole life.

A more facinating bio would be his beginning up to the army induction. Take a detailed look at the rock and roll revolution and Elvis' role in it, and use REAL Elvis music.
    Speaking of John Carpenter. He's the same one who directed the iconic cult following Halloween saga with Michael Myers. My all time favorite scary movie.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Speaking of John Carpenter. He's the same one who directed the iconic cult following Halloween saga with Michael Myers. My all time favorite scary movie.
    And the remake of "The Thing", now a classic in its own right.

The original "The Thing" is a classic and so funny, the bit where they're tied to the chairs cracks me up everytime. The testing of the blood scene has also been parodied by South Park, just as amusing.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    When I first watched the Kurt Russell/Carpenter film in79 Ifelt it was a good tv film-but over time I have seen the flaws and inaccuracies and its just not as good as I recall.
    Plus like most of these films about Elvis his singing was dubbed.....how anyone expects to do a film about Elvis without his singing voice is perplexing.
    I feel the same way. Because of this thread I watched this movie again and still enjoyed some parts of the movie.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Yeah, I agree KPM,I think that Elvis is one of the few artists that can not be played.
    It's not just the voice, today is something much more.
    None, the light does not replace the Sun. Ooo! Maybe so, I would say ...OK?
    I'll Remember You!!!

I watched the movie for the first time about 16 years ago that's also when I got the tape. It was a great film for time it was done. Yes it has loads of flaws and it's "mistakes" and it's quite not done aswell as the Jonathan Rhys Elvis movie but I personally like it. I couldn't imagine anyone better at that time to play Elvis. He was definitely the right guy back then. It's a shame they couldn't make a better movie at that time but it is worth a watch for any Elvis fan. But I don't know if you knew they had to use Ronnie Mcdowell to sing because they couldn't get back then the rights to play original Elvis songs. It was also nominated for quite a few Emmys too.

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Oh yes I love Horrors. My wife and I are Horror freaks and movie and other memorabilia. Halloween is also one of our favorite Horror franchises.
    Great classic.

Quote Originally Posted by elvia7 View Post
    Yeah, I agree KPM,I think that Elvis is one of the few artists that can not be played.
    It's not just the voice, today is something much more.
    None, the light does not replace the Sun. Ooo! Maybe so, I would say ...OK?
    Sorry i totally disagree. Kurt Russell played him brilliantly. It was,nt his fault the production was low budget , was badly researched and they didnt have the rights to use Elvis recordings and had to use Roddy McDowell singing. He has given the best potrayal of Elvis by a country mile of all those who have tried.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

I agree, I liked Kurt in the movie as Elvis. The only thing I didn't like was some of the dance moves, they were over the top.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

TCB Mafia

The original "The Thing" is a classic and so funny, the bit where they're tied to the chairs cracks me up everytime. The testing of the blood scene has also been parodied by South Park, just as amusing.
    The scene you describe was in Carpenter's remake (coincidentally staring Kurt Russell also). The original came out in the '50's and is a cult classic.

The scene you describe was in Carpenter's remake (coincidentally staring Kurt Russell also). The original came out in the '50's and is a cult classic.
    I thought you were referring to the 2011 version with your first comment.

Yes the 50s original is a favorite of mine-James Arness (Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke for over 20 years) played the alien vegetable creature, Kenneth Tobey (a great b-movie actor) was the hero, and it was the great producer/director Howard Hawks in charge of the film.
    Wonderful movie-not nearly as gory or bloody as the Kurt Russell remake, but campy in all the right ways.
    Work in Progress!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast