Thread: Another thing that makes Elvis more powerful than today's artists

Another thing that makes Elvis more powerful than today's artists

I just saw a listing of Beyonce's world tour coming up and her US leg in June-August. It is similar to the way that Elvis would tour. Even a 4 night stop in London's 02 arena like Elvis did for NY in 1972 at Madison Square Garden. But mostly one night stands like he did too. Although, I have noticed that she takes off a night every other few days. Elvis never did that and in fact, played 2 shows a night at times. I would like to see a superstar like Beyonce try and perform for 2 shows in one night at the rate that Elvis did. She couldn't do it. In fact, nobody can do it!

That's just another reason why he's the King and their the followers.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Re: Another thing that makes Elvis more powerful than today's artists

The sad thing about how Elvis did his tours is it did help put him in an early grave. I think that is one reason why other artists today don’t have the schedule that he had because they know it’s not healthy or wise for long career. After all he wrote the book for all other entertainers to follow.

Speaking of Beyonce her super bowl performance was so theatrical just like all of these other entertainers that use a 100 dancers and lighting to create excitement. They can’t entertain an audience like Elvis could by himself. He didn’t need all of that.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

valid points by both of you.....
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

TCB Mafia

Todays artists are too pampered.

They barely record or tour.

Doing two shows a day wasn't a big deal for Elvis or other artists back then.

That being said if Elvis hadn't of died he'd probably being doing the same thing they are doing.

Touring only when you have an album to promote and only coming out with an album every 3 to 5 years.

Taking 18 months to record an album etc.

TCB Mafia

To be fair, most Elvis concerts ran around 50 minutes. So doing 2 shows was more like one show with a REALLY long intermission.

Elvis was a machine in regards to doing 2 shows per night, but you cannot write off or compare other artists to what Elvis did or didn't do.

It is smoke and mirrors from some artists, but Beyonce isn't one of them. The girl can sing and dance and has an outstanding fitness level to put on the kind of choreography she does. Add into that the constant travel, studio time, interviews, rehearsals, promotions, it's physically demanding.

It also depends on the actual artist, some don't need dance routines or elaborate effects, it's all about the voice.

Well Snake Eyes I wouldn't completely agree. Beyonce is an awful singer. I heard her many times on live recordings where she sings off key and false and flat. Plus she's also doing a lot of lip synching which is a joke. She's just a money making machine like most artists nowdays sadly. No offence please that's just my personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    I just saw a listing of Beyonce's world tour coming up and her US leg in June-August. It is similar to the way that Elvis would tour. Even a 4 night stop in London's 02 arena like Elvis did for NY in 1972 at Madison Square Garden. But mostly one night stands like he did too. Although, I have noticed that she takes off a night every other few days. Elvis never did that and in fact, played 2 shows a night at times. I would like to see a superstar like Beyonce try and perform for 2 shows in one night at the rate that Elvis did. She couldn't do it. In fact, nobody can do it!

That's just another reason why he's the King and their the followers.

Agree with every word you said vivaelvis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    Well Snake Eyes I wouldn't completely agree. Beyonce is an awful singer. I heard her many times on live recordings where she sings off key and false and flat. Plus she's also doing a lot of lip synching which is a joke. She's just a money making machine like most artists nowdays sadly. No offence please that's just my personal opinion.
    Hahaha, no offence taken at all Kajo - I'm not a fan of Beyonce either, but I wouldn't say she's awful. I actually prefer listening to artists live over a studio album as I prefer the rawness in their voices. I do agree with your last comment though, it's pretty much all style and no substance.

Elvis sang his shows with no pitch control, no lip sync, no added help to keep his voice "record worthy"
    But Elvis paid a price for 2 shows a date on some venues and for his Vegas 2-3 shows a day at times.
    His tours followed the same path every other year-the same venues the same towns the thrill of performing could have been kept in his heart just by knowing the venues were new and "these people have not ever seen me"
    The tours became..... Spinout, then Double Trouble, then Clambake......same thing.
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Elvis sang his shows with no pitch control, no lip sync, no added help to keep his voice "record worthy"
    But Elvis paid a price for 2 shows a date on some venues and for his Vegas 2-3 shows a day at times.
    His tours followed the same path every other year-the same venues the same towns the thrill of performing could have been kept in his heart just by knowing the venues were new and "these people have not ever seen me"
    The tours became..... Spinout, then Double Trouble, then Clambake......same thing.
    Yep .

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Totally agree and it took it's toll on him, he became bored and frustrated thus more dependent on the pills.

What is it with the superbowl performances? That's 15 minutes of my life I'm not getting back.