Thread: Off To Memphis

Cadillac King
    Most of you visit the FECC board, so you may have already noticed my post about my trip to Memphis for Elvis Week. I paid for the trip today and I am so excited. I will have to calm down a bit or I will drive everyone crazy at work, and no doubt here. The people at my work are pretty excited for me though, because they know I am a 'bit of a fan'......and today especially everytime I walked past someone I got the 'Thankyouverymuch'......
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

Fantastick

Tip. Get a pen and paper,and write down what you would like to get (cds-books-etc) because,when your feet hits the soil off memphis,you"ll be in a daze,and having your want"s wrote down,is a big help.

But most of all,enjoy,and get that pic"s taking.

KEV.
    HELLO,I MUST BE GOING.

SAM...it"s been a privilege to be called your best mate.17.03.55 - 24.01.08

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/HankGarlandBio.html

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Hi Carolynlm,

Great news! Although I'm VERY jealous, I really wish you a fantastic time overthere

If you want to prepare a bit, or get the fullest out of your trip, here are some great books:

Travels With The King
    The Field Guide To Elvis Shrines
    Memphis Elvis-Style
    The Elvis Atlas: A Journey Through Elvis Presley's America
    Roadside Elvis - The Complete State-By-State Travel Guide for Elvis Presley Fans

I've only just found out about them, so i don't know which ones are good. The book about visiting Memphis seems to be a good one though
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Originally posted by carolynlm@May 4 2004, 11:26 AM
    Most of you visit the FECC board, so you may have already noticed my post about my trip to Memphis for Elvis Week. I paid for the trip today and I am so excited. I will have to calm down a bit or I will drive everyone crazy at work, and no doubt here. The people at my work are pretty excited for me though, because they know I am a 'bit of a fan'......and today especially everytime I walked past someone I got the 'Thankyouverymuch'......  
    I'am very happy for you, I'll send you some more pictures, to get in the Memphis mood

TCB Mafia
    Oh boy carolynlm,
    Now i am jealous

I will get there one day :bash:

Hope you have a FANTASTIC trip Take a few pics for us
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Carolyn,

I'm excited for you! I am sure it will be everything and more that you're expecting. For people like us, it's a homecoming of sorts; being there just feels right. Heck, you just might end up a Memphian!

I sometimes forget how lucky I am to be able to drive to Memphis in less than 6 hours! We're talking about going some time in June. Every time is as good as the first time. But I hope all of you who haven't made the trip can do so some time soon.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Cadillac King
    It sure is a long trip, over 19 hours flying time and about 6 hours waiting around in airport terminals. Lucky we gain a day on the way over and lose it on the way back, thats OK.......Thanks for the advice about the books, I will have a look around. I have already made a list of things I want to look at and/or purchase. The only thing I am having an nightmare about is that I will forget to take my passport down to Brisbane with me, thats about a 3 hour drive from where I live. Had a peek at the Elvis Week functions, there sure are lots of things to do isn't there? . It's hard to choose....decisions, decisions....... :cry:
    Carolyn

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    CONGRATULATIONS CAROLYN!!!

You will have an AWESOME time!! My first trip to Memphis was in October '87, and although I certainly had a great time, there is NO feeling in the world like being IN Memphis DURING Elvis Week!! When I attended my first Elvis Week in 2000, it was UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get home!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

I have made an effort to check out places, homes associated with Elvis.

Some good ones:

All of these are behind or next to Graceland.

1266 Dolan Dr. (Vernon's house 1964-1978)From Graceland: drive south on E.P.Blvd.. Turn left on Dolan Drive
    3650 Hermitage Road (Vernon's house 1961-1964)From Dolan Drive: continue to the next street, Charles Drive, turn left. Drive to Hermitage Road and turn left onto Hermitage Road. Continue until crossing over Old Hickory Road
    1254 Old Hickory Road (Linda Thompson's house 1974 - 1981)From Graceland: drive south on E.P. Blvd.. Take the next right onto Old Hickory Road.
    1576 Lehr Street (Linda Thompson's Parents house 74 - 1978 then Vester Presley's house 1978 - 1997 after EPE kicked the Thompson's out)From Graceland: drive south on E.P. Blvd. to Dolan Drive and turn left. Continue driving until reaching Hermitage Road, turn left onto Hermitage Road and drive to the intersection with Lehr Street. Turn left onto Lehr Street
    1317 Favell Road (Sam Thompson's house 1973 - 1978) From Graceland: drive south on E.P. Blvd.. Turn left onto Dolan Drive, turn right at first street, Favell Road.
    3866 Patti Ann Drive (Graceland School) Where Elvis played touch football in the sixties, broke his finger there too. From Graceland, drive south on E.P. Blvd. to the next left, Dolan Drive. Take Dolan Drive to Hermitage Road and turn left (the second on the left on Dolan). Drive one block to Lehr Drive. Turn right onto Pattie Ann Drive.

4152 Royal Crest Place (Ginger's house)
    I have Dr. Nic's home that Elvis built he still lives in it near Ginger's house. I will have to dig it up.
    Circle G - off Rt. 301 in DeSoto County Near Walls Mississippi

Downtown Memphis
    Baptist Hospital 899 Union Avenue (where he died)
    Humes High School (now Humes Jr. High) 659 Manassas Street
    Peabody Hotel (visit Lansky's Bros) see the ducks too.

Elvis homes:
    572 Poplar Avenue (Sept. 12, 1948-Sept. 20, 1949)
    185 Winchester Street, a two- bedroom apartment (number 328)
    398 Cypress Street (rented from January 7 to April 1953)
    2414 Lamar Avenue (rented from end of 1954 to mid-1955)
    1414 Getwell Street (rented from mid-1955 to May, 11 1956.)
    1034 Audubon Drive, where Elvis bought a three-bedroom home in April 1956 for $40,000 The family lived her from May 11 1956 to March 1957. Elvis allegedly sold the house for $55,000 it had an iron fence which still exists at the property. The current owners give tours etc.

Here are just some of the places plenty more if you need more suggestions.
    http://hometown.aol.com/skmccarty/images/tcblogo1.jpg
    It's never too late to take care of business.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Southpaw, that's an excellent list! Thank you very much. I will copy and save it for when I will be going to Memphis (someday :cry: )
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Well Southpaw, now I'am sure I want to go again. We went last year but I was having gallblatherstones and I was in a lot of pain, painkillers didn't work, so the only thing I got to see was Graceland, and that was really awesome, but I saw it in blurp because of the medicatian.................... But I really want to go again and then do the full tour, see, hear, feel everything. Hope to go during ELVIS week because that would be great, all those fans, people who know what it means to be there without the need to explaining it to them

Mad Tigers
    hi carolyn.

i went myself for the first time this year for the birthday week. it was fantastic i took over 600 photos.
    MY BOY,MY BOY

Carolyn you lucky devil!

Great Carolyn! I'm glad for you!

To visit Memphis is a dream of my life!! Hope I can go to Memphis for Elvis Week in 2007 :cry: I HOPE! And I pray :help:

In Russia that trip VERY difficult and expensive but I go to Memphis anyway.
    'My music is why I was put on this earth' Elvis Presley

Elvis from Russia
    www.elvispresley.ru

Cadillac King
    Elena,
    I hope you don't mind, but I have used your signature picture as my background. It looks beautiful......
    Carolyn

Oh sure Carolyn I don't mind This is not my signature picture just I love this picture of Graceland very much!
    'My music is why I was put on this earth' Elvis Presley

Elvis from Russia
    www.elvispresley.ru