Thread: Favourite Concert 69,70, 71...........77

Hi everybody maybe you can help me out. There are so many 'imports' maybe you can tell me what your favourite concert recording is for each year? Off course if there is an original release you prefer you can write that one down.

TCB Mafia
    Some of the best Import cd's

1969 Here I Go Again (DAE ) or Opening Night '69 ( FB )

1970 Not too strong on shows but the rehearsals are great
    The best Import 1970 shows....hmmm... Double Dynamite though audience is pretty cool...then there's Walk A Mile In My Shoes...better sound but only 10 tracks worth getting though.

The best shows from 1970 are on official cd's.

1971 Again..not a great deal to choose from....loads of audience recordings but the best soundboards are - All Things Are Possible ( DAE ) and Lean, Mean And Kickin' Butt ( FB ).The Power Of Shazam also deserves a mention...good show, but the sound is up and down.

1972. Spoilt for choice really...but some of the very best are - The Greensboro Concert ( Triangle)...Opening Night (2001)...Elvis At Full Blast ( FB ). There are many more...I suppose it is all down to personal preference

1973. Its A Matter Of Time ( FB ) is about the best available in my opinion.

1974. Again, spoilt for choice...but the best shows are at the start to middle of the year. Some of these are FANTASTIC. I'd rate some of these shows as good as it gets
    Guranteed To Blow Your Mind ( Luxor ) and Event No8 ( Madison ) are two of my favourites.

1975. My Favourite has to be the March show on the A Profile series ( FB ) but there are loads of great shows...Deep Down South ( King ) Let Me Take You Home ( DAE ). Again, its really down to personal choice. Oh yes and Just Pretend ( FB ) is also a must.

1976. Loads available. The best ones are at the start of the year- Running For President ( King ) and at the end of the year - A Hot Winters Night and Burning In Birmingham. Though there are some good shows in the middle too

1977. Personally i like Coming On Strong ( Southern Style ) and Unchained Elvis ( Krypton ). I'd recommend these if you haven't already got them.

A very quick run through and everyones opinion will be there own - but i hope it gives you some ideas
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Originally posted by NightRider@May 10 2004, 09:17 PM
    A very quick run through and everyones opinion will be there own - but i hope it gives you some ideas 
    It sure does, thanks Nightrider

TCB Mafia
    Originally posted by P.S. Annie+May 10 2004, 08:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (P.S. Annie @ May 10 2004, 08:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NightRider@May 10 2004, 09:17 PM
    A very quick run through and everyones opinion will be there own - but i hope it gives you some ideas?
    It sure does, thanks Nightrider [/b][/quote]
    My Pleasure P.S Annie
    TCB Chris.

Roustabouts
    It has to be the concerts in Atlanta because I was there/ so that makes them special .When you see a concert &#39;live&#39; you just forget about every other concert that ever exsisted...there was kinda a favorite tho from Atlanta as far as music performed..When I saw Elvis in 1976/june 6th...He sang America The Beautiful,and it was out of sight..what a great song...I had never heard it sang like that before but Elvis had a way of making songs his own/kk.....photo is from that concert&#33;
    <span style='color:purple'>kk/A fan since it all began</span>

Few tips:

1969:
    ====
    Opening Night&#33;&#33;&#33;

1970:
    ====
    Yes, official recordings are best avaiable from this year. TTWII SE is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED&#33;&#33;&#33;

1971:
    ====

I don?t know&#33; :cry:

1972:
    ====
    Blazing Into Darkness, Opening Night and many others&#33;

1973:
    ====
    ALOHA FROM HAWAII&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33 ;

1974:
    ====
    Best: If You Talk In Your Sleep&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Other greats: Steamroller Blues, Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind, Steamroller Blues.... but I don?t recommend Event #8.

1975:
    ====
    All from May - June - July era&#33; + CD from King On Stage box is great too&#33; + Just Pretend&#33;

1976:
    ====
    Classics - from end of year + Holding Back The Years + 2 shows from October 76 (Bringin? The House Down or Ethernal Flame - NO CHICAGO BEAT&#33; Large different in Elvis voice and mood between 14th and 15th October&#33;&#33;&#33

1977:
    ====
    Only two recommends:
    Elvis Rocks Rapid City (21st June 77)
    Adios A Final Performance
    (Blackmore - Gillan - Glover - Lord - Paice)
    Sweet child in time
    you?ll see the line
    line that?s drawn between
    good and bad
    see the blind man
    shooting at the world
    bullets flying taking toll
    If you?ve been a bad
    oh Lord I bet you have
    and you?ve not been hit
    by flying led
    you?d better close your eyes
    you?d better bow your head and
    wait for the ricochet

- Lyrics of most beautiful song in rock music ever&#33;&#33;&#33;

Hi PS Annie,

These are my favorites:

Import releases mentioned are hard to come by. Two very good concerts were released by RCA/BMG: Live At The International (FTD) and one concert was released as part of the boxset Live In Las Vegas.
    Both naturally in very good sound quality.

The import: Opening Night is very nice, but hard to find I guess.

A selection of songs from 1969 was also released on the three cd boxset Collectors Gold.

One of the best imports to get is: Double Dynamite, though the concerts on this 2 cd set are audience recordings, the sound quality is very nice.

From FTD One Night In Vegas is great&#33;

A very good import release was The Power Of Zhazam&#33;
    Snowbird was a nice release, but the sound quality is not so good.

Opening Night 1972 is very good.

The Greensboro concert is definately one to look for&#33; Great concert in awesome sound quality.

By RCA/BMG An Afternoon In The Garden is another one of my favs.

I&#39;ll Remember You is a nice import title from this year.

There are many releases from 1974.

The best ones are: Desert Storm, Night Fever In Vegas and Guaranteed to Blow Your Mind.

Like 74, many titles available: Deep Down South, Let Me Take You Home and Just Pretend.

FTD released Dinner At Eight, which is very good.

Holding Back The Years, Goodbye Memphis, My It&#39;s Been A Long Long Time, Hot Winter Night In Dallas, Burning In Birmingham, Still Rockin&#39;The Nation, Eternal Flame (average show, but great quality).

Coming On Strong, no complete concerts on this one (like on most soundboard recorded concerts from 1977) but great sound quality.
    The same goes for: Moody Blue And Other Great Performances.
    The import Unchained has a complete concert, but it&#39;s an audience recording in reasonable quality.

The boxes mentioned in one of the other posts: The King On Stage Volume 1 and 2, with four cd&#39;s each, are very good, but hard to get your hands on.

Bye,
    Sonny

Desert Storm????
    (Blackmore - Gillan - Glover - Lord - Paice)
    Sweet child in time
    you?ll see the line
    line that?s drawn between
    good and bad
    see the blind man
    shooting at the world
    bullets flying taking toll
    If you?ve been a bad
    oh Lord I bet you have
    and you?ve not been hit
    by flying led
    you?d better close your eyes
    you?d better bow your head and
    wait for the ricochet

- Lyrics of most beautiful song in rock music ever&#33;&#33;&#33;

TCB Mafia
    As i said at the top....everyone&#39;s opinions are going to be different, that is understandable.
    But Peter, you have questioned peoples opinions.
    Thats fine....but why ?
    We all have our favourites and lets face it we are all Elvis fans.
    I would hope that if i recommend a show that another Elvis fan might enjoy it too
    Thats why the question was asked after all.

.... I like Event no8 ( madison ) and i find it strange that you wouldn&#39;t recommend it to another Elvis fan

I also agree with Sonny, i would recommend Desert Storm also. Its a very good listen

Each to their own i suppose :
    TCB Chris.

TCB Mafia
    Originally posted by unchained@May 11 2004, 07:40 PM
    I like Desert Storm to, it?s a must to have in your collection.

P.s. great new Avatar Night Rider
    Thanks Unchained,

I have been playing around with a few...as you may have noticed but finally did one that i liked
    TCB Chris.

Thanks guys, your advice is very much appreciated

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    One thing that&#39;s a must with a live CD is the sound. I prefer a nice show with good soundquality over a suberb show with awfull sound.

So taking that in notice, this will be my first list:

1969: Here I Go Again
    1970: True Love Travel On a Gravel Road
    1971: Lean, Mean And Kicking Butt
    1972: Opening Night &#39;72
    1973: It&#39;s a Matter Of Time
    1974: Breathin Out Fire
    1975: We&#39;ll Make You Happy
    1976: Holding Back The Years
    1977: Cajun Tornado - disc 2
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Desert Storm is an essential show in every Elvis collectors collection (is that right, sounds weird). And I guess RCA/BMG will never, ever release it&#33;

I took a look at your "great" sound list, Albert. Very nice...

Here goes:

1969 Here I Go Again (I agree, it&#39;s a little better than Opening Night)

1970 True Love Travels (I understand your choice, because on import they don&#39;t get any better than this, until now, and though it&#39;s not a complete show, it does give you the feel of one)

1971 Agreed, Lean Mean and Kickin Butt is slightly better soundwise than Power Of Zhazam.

1972 The Greensboro Concert

1973 Don&#39;t Think Twice

1974 Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind (great sound&#33

1975 Deep Down South & Let Me Take You Home

1976 Holding Back The Years & My It&#39;s Been A Long Long Time

1977 Coming On Strong

Reading back this list is almost the same as the one I did earlier.

Your list Albert is a fine list as well. It&#39;s hard to choose though, because most of those soundboards sound just fine&#33;

Sonny

Roustabouts
    Originally posted by Sonny@May 12 2004, 01:04 PM
    Desert Storm is an essential show in every Elvis collectors collection (is that right, sounds weird). And I guess RCA/BMG will never, ever release it&#33;

I took a look at your "great" sound list, Albert. Very nice...

Here goes:

1969 Here I Go Again (I agree, it&#39;s a little better than Opening Night)

1970 True Love Travels (I understand your choice, because on import they don&#39;t get any better than this, until now, and though it&#39;s not a complete show, it does give you the feel of one)

1971 Agreed, Lean Mean and Kickin Butt is slightly better soundwise than Power Of Zhazam.

1972 The Greensboro Concert

1973 Don&#39;t Think Twice

1974 Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind (great sound&#33

1975 Deep Down South & Let Me Take You Home

1976 Holding Back The Years & My It&#39;s Been A Long Long Time

1977 Coming On Strong

Reading back this list is almost the same as the one I did earlier.

Your list Albert is a fine list as well. It&#39;s hard to choose though, because most of those soundboards sound just fine&#33;

Sonny
    RCA will never release it &#33;You&#39;ve got that right..RCA hasnt released nothing lately but the same ole recycled stuff.That last release was a joke....big build up too about the &#39;LIVE&#39; Texas concert..then they went and edited out every single spoken word by Elvis...any one listening to that release that didnt know too much about Elvis would get the impression that Elvis never talked to his Audiences..I purchased that new release on the first day it was available because I wanted to hear that new &#39;never before heard &#39; concert..It was the first thing I listened to..I could not believe it.no spoken words,just one song after the next,from beginning to end...I have heard many,many,many Elvis concerts,I have over 100 diffrent concerts by Elvis,and at every concert Elvis ever did,he always spoke to the audience,played around,joked,(that was part of the fun of goin to an Elvis concert)but not the one in Texas according to RCA..Why did they bother to even release the concert if they were going to edit it /I mean it did not contain one single &#39;NEW &#39; tune by Elvis,so what was the point in releasing it anyway.....I truly hope Im not the only one who is sick of what RCA is putting out these days/kk

Roustabouts
    Here is one of my favorite Elvis releases (not by rca of course)this concert contains two very early renditions of My Way & American Trilogy.../pre&#39;Aloha From Hawaii&#39;

Blazing Into The Darkness is a fine cd, just as At Full Blast, which has the the midnight show from August 11th, 1972.

You&#39;re right about Texas lacking dialogue and stuff, but it&#39;s a well known fact that some 72 shows were very short and did not contain that much dialogue.
    They just were very tight shows, with some great songs nevertheless.

The Greensboro concert (here I go again) is far better, soundwise and showwise, than the Texas show, but once again, not very much dialogue...

Sonny

Thanks guys I have updated my wishlist (extensively)