Thread: Elvis CBS Special...what wasl filmed?

Elvis CBS Special...what wasl filmed?

Just out of curiosity, I saw a clip on Youtube about all the CBS footage that was made by the crew and it said about 4.5 hours was filmed. So, I am wondering just what all was filmed by CBS crew in June 1977 and if so does EPE have it? Here's what I know was filmed and approximately how much time was used.

June 19, 1977
    Omaha, NE full show approx: 1:00

June 21, 1977
    Rapid City, SD Full show and backstage footage approx: 1:20

June 26
    Indianapolis, IN awards presentation approx: 20 minutes

Fan interviews approx: 15 minutes

Stage preparations and setups approx: 10-20 minutes or more

Additional road footage in various cities approx: 10 minutes

So, looking at that, there's still at least 1 hour and 45 minutes of additional non Elvis footage that is missing or unseen. I'm thinking that CBS had to have filmed the opening acts as the cameras were rolling long before Elvis' main part of the show began. The Sweet Inspirations opening act was around 15 minutes. The Stamps sang for about 15 minutes and then the comedian. That's about 40-50 minutes of possible unseen footage. There's bee rumors over the years that Elvis might have done a pool side interview for the special. Although no evidence has ever surfaced to back it up. But, if the interview did take place and was filmed, then it could be in the lost 2 hours of bonus footage. And knowing it would have been in June or July, and knowing what physical condition he was in at the time, it would make sense why EPE hasn't released any information on it. That is, if they even have the master footage or if it exists. That would leave potentially a good hour of footage still missing.

So what else could have been filmed? Could CBS have filmed portions of the Kansas City show for a test run on how to record the Omaha show the following night?
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Cadillac King

Re: Elvis CBS Special...what wasl filmed?

That is very interesting. I wonder if any of the material will ever be released "officially."

IM

I would just assume that since no one has ever suggested Kansas was used as a test-it probably was not.
    Much like EOT and TTWII many many hours were filmed that Elvis was not in-kitchen scenes, crowd scenes, for every finished second we see in a completed project there are hours of "junk" that is not really of interest so this special probably had its own share of "junk"
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I would just assume that since no one has ever suggested Kansas was used as a test-it probably was not.
    Much like EOT and TTWII many many hours were filmed that Elvis was not in-kitchen scenes, crowd scenes, for every finished second we see in a completed project there are hours of "junk" that is not really of interest so this special probably had its own share of "junk"
    True, but tape for television programming was more expensive compared to movie film. Plus the EIC was a low budget production compared to the Aloha and 68 Special. So I doubt that they wasted film and was selective on what was filmed. Notice that they didn't film Elvis backstage in Omaha but did in Rapid City.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4Elvis View Post
    That is very interesting. I wonder if any of the material will ever be released "officially."

IM
    I hope not........
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    I hope not........
    I don't think that EPE will ever release Elvis In Concert special or the concerts themselves. It's the other footage though that could be used down the road in a special Concert type production, such as the stage being set up and whatnot.

I doubt that anything substantial exists beyond what has already been bootlegged over the years-both concerts have been out for years and also the backstage meeting with the Indian girl and the award presentation so it may be that whomever gave the "about" 4.5 hours quote is just inaccurate.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I doubt that anything substantial exists beyond what has already been bootlegged over the years-both concerts have been out for years and also the backstage meeting with the Indian girl and the award presentation so it may be that whomever gave the "about" 4.5 hours quote is just inaccurate.
    It wasn't inaccurate. The guy who owned the original tapes now owned by EPE, is the one who said that there's 4.5 hours of footage. Listen at the 2:00 mark.

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    It wasn't inaccurate. The guy who owned the original tapes now owned by EPE, is the one who said that there's 4.5 hours of footage. Listen at the 2:00 mark.

All I can say with authority on this subject (or anyone can say) is that no one has suggested there is a missing hour of film to the CBS special that has anything of importance. The poolside interview rumor is just that a rumor...not one person who lived at Graceland during that time has ever said there was a poolside interview...the only Graceland shoot was of Vernon for the Specials ending.
    Its not easy to invision that almost an hour of Elvis performing...say at Kansas-would not be known and mentioned in some book, interview, or record of filming.
    If there is footage not seen-it most likely is of no real consequence...once again time will tell.
    Work in Progress!

There was No camera crew in kansas city, I was all around the stage and saw only fans shooting. Can't say about backstage, but not likely. I shot 8mm but all out of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by jsstcb View Post
    There was No camera crew in kansas city, I was all around the stage and saw only fans shooting. Can't say about backstage, but not likely. I shot 8mm but all out of focus.
    Thanks for an eyewitness account about this-thats always pretty definitive.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by jsstcb View Post
    I'm thinking the missing hour or so is the opening acts. EPE must have the original footage in their vaults.

That would be my best guess-believe it or not...we agree!
    Work in Progress!