Thread: Trying To Get To You

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Trying To Get To You

"Trying To Get To You", is a great song, I was listening to it on "Young Man With The Big Beat" set, although I've always liked the song I have done a search and there isn't a great deal of live versions from the 70's I've heard one from 1968, 1970? 1974, and 1977.

There is 1974 version from the "Live On Stage In Memphis" that has a truly shocking audience overdub

Does anybody have any info from when Elvis had it on his set list and why he dropped it and then reintroduced it?

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Re: Trying To Get To You

Good question. I know he was always kind of joking about how it would "hurt is leg" when he would sing it.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

have you looked at http://jordans-elvis-world.com/ It may require some searching but i found this one quite quickly

http://jordans-elvis-world.com/audio/hello/hellomem.htm
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

My favourite would always be the one from the '68 8:00pm sit down show, that's essential Elvis to me.

Agree, overdubs on the "Live on Stage in Memphis" are anoying, the FTD version of it have them removed and it does sounds good then!

I guess this was just one of the songs he really loved to do, but just did it only kind of like when he pleased, no particular logic about why he did leave it behind and reintroduced it over and over.

I believe there is a bootleg audience recording, very bad quality of Elvis doing the song during the '69 Vegas season. Can't recall a 1970 version, where is it?

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Can't recall a 1970 version, where is it?
    I put a question mark over the 1970 question as I wasn't sure the version I heard was from 1970, Elvis' voice seemed very clear, I subsequently believe it's possibly from 1974?

Try To Get To You.mp3