Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

  1. #1
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    What are your thoughts or memories when you think of the Aloha from Hawaii shows? Your favorite song performances from either the live show or rehearsal show?

    When I think of the Aloha shows, I remember a few of the song performances that stand out in my mind. One of my favorites is the video below. I also remember this is the first concert I remember seeing as a child. I remember I watched my VHS tape of the show over and over. I have probably watched the concert 1.5 billion times. LOL. I remember watching the live show so intently each time I watched it and wishing I could have been there. I thought as a child that was the coolest jumpsuit ever, still do.

    This song gave me chills even at 7 or 8 years old. What a performance Elvis!!!

    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  2. #2
    Cadillac King augusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    286

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    I'm watching the Aloha right now and I remember all the emotions that I felt the day I saw it for the first time,via satellite, but in black and white because my television was then in black and white. Later I was lucky to watch in color. What emotions...he was great! 'Welcome To My World' captured my heart!

  3. #3
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    I remember watching it when it first came on TV in '73. What I remember most is him introducing his band and I said to my brother, "he has a band? I thought he was by himself". Hah!

  4. #4
    TCB Mafia Snake Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    It was a little under a year ago now that I first saw Aloha and all the preconceptions I'd had about Elvis disappeared in an instant. It's what really cemented me as a fan and made me want to look further into his career. Certain performances I adore because of the way he looks or what he does and others because I think he sings well. Love Me, Steamroller, Something, I'll Remember You are just some of my favourites.

  5. #5
    Cadillac King JRtherealJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    324

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    I've always loved Aloha and just like the good Mod, I also had it on VHS in the early 90s and practically wore the tape out. It's still the only (officially) released that concert we have in it's entirety.

    I also love watching the arrival scenes on the Deluxe DVD and I always seem to notice something new each time- this goes for the concert as well.

    However, I've never understood all the love most fans have for I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry- Elvis sings it beautifully, but it's not a concert highlight for me; I much prefer I'll Remember You.

    The scarf-giving was becoming an ever-bigger concert ritual by the time of Aloha and I always enjoy the interplay between Elvis and the audience.

    This concert was way ahead of it's time and even today any major artist would be proud to have a stage setup like Aloha.

    It's just a pity that this wonderful event was only captured on videotape and there were no 32mm or even 16mm film cameras to capture it on celluloid- So we'll never get to see Aloha in HD.

  6. #6
    TCB Mafia debtdbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ilkley, Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    He was amazing, looked gorgeous, sang a wide range of songs.......The King in all aspects..........
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

  7. #7
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    Quote Originally Posted by augusta View Post
    I'm watching the Aloha right now and I remember all the emotions that I felt the day I saw it for the first time,via satellite, but in black and white because my television was then in black and white. Later I was lucky to watch in color. What emotions...he was great! 'Welcome To My World' captured my heart!
    I love to hear that song when you go up to the house.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  8. #8
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    It was a little under a year ago now that I first saw Aloha and all the preconceptions I'd had about Elvis disappeared in an instant. It's what really cemented me as a fan and made me want to look further into his career. Certain performances I adore because of the way he looks or what he does and others because I think he sings well. Love Me, Steamroller, Something, I'll Remember You are just some of my favourites.
    Yes, those are good songs.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  9. #9
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post
    I've always loved Aloha and just like the good Mod, I also had it on VHS in the early 90s and practically wore the tape out. It's still the only (officially) released that concert we have in it's entirety.

    I also love watching the arrival scenes on the Deluxe DVD and I always seem to notice something new each time- this goes for the concert as well.

    However, I've never understood all the love most fans have for I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry- Elvis sings it beautifully, but it's not a concert highlight for me; I much prefer I'll Remember You.

    The scarf-giving was becoming an ever-bigger concert ritual by the time of Aloha and I always enjoy the interplay between Elvis and the audience.

    This concert was way ahead of it's time and even today any major artist would be proud to have a stage setup like Aloha.

    It's just a pity that this wonderful event was only captured on videotape and there were no 32mm or even 16mm film cameras to capture it on celluloid- So we'll never get to see Aloha in HD.
    I do too. He looks so cool in the cream color suit and with that walk its a homerun.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  10. #10
    Backstage Pass josephinebeau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Big Blue Nation
    Posts
    133

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I do too. He looks so cool in the cream color suit and with that walk its a homerun.
    That suit is AMAZING.
    "Music is the voice that tells the human race it is greater than it knows" -Napoleon Bonaparte


  11. #11
    Backstage Pass josephinebeau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Big Blue Nation
    Posts
    133

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    Watching the deluxe version right now, me and tons of people on tumblr having been blogging about it this weekend. It was years before I was born, and I see and hear it so differently than I did as a kid first watching it, and even when he is not at his best the man is still freakin' magic. Thank you Elvis and Thank God for you.
    "Music is the voice that tells the human race it is greater than it knows" -Napoleon Bonaparte


  12. #12
    Backstage Pass
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    241

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    I remember watching The Aloha Special the year it was first broadcast but we only had a Black and white tv. It was amazing how he captivated an audience.

    For me , the song Fever was a definite high point of the show. What now my Love is another powerful song performed brilliantly and Welcome to My World is song beautifully. The beautiful hula dancer performing during Elvis rendition of Ku-U-i-Po is another highlight

  13. #13
    Mad Tigers
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    42

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    JR... at last someone who understands the technical limits of videotape! I have been making this point for years on forums that the Aloha can never be scanned at 1080p for blu-Ray because there are no negatives available to scan.
    A high definition Audio release from the multi-track tapes is possible though. So far all we have had is CD releases at 44.1 khz or DVD at 48 khz. I have taken a sample of the Aloha soundtrack and as audio at 48 khz (16 bit) it sounds great, but imaging if Sony decided to release a 192Khz release or even a 96Khz (at 24 bit) release, wow that would be so great.

  14. #14
    TCB Mafia debtdbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ilkley, Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    seemingly, the concert in Hawaii yesterday showed angles not seen before......hopefully there's some footage out there still to be released
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

  15. #15
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    seemingly, the concert in Hawaii yesterday showed angles not seen before......hopefully there's some footage out there still to be released
    Cool!! Are you there in Hawaii?
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  16. #16
    TCB Mafia debtdbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ilkley, Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

    Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    Cool!! Are you there in Hawaii?

    Lol........I wish;-)

    Its on EIN....
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Similar Threads

  1. 42 Years Ago Today...
    By SatninLove in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 10:28 PM
  2. Aloha From hawaii-Alternate Aloha DVD Cover
    By heber in forum (alternate) Artwork discussion and Work-In-Progress
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 10:33 AM
  3. 38 Years Ago Today
    By TotallyInsane in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 08:24 PM
  4. 50 years ago today...
    By Vissie in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 11:10 AM
  5. It was 27 years ago today
    By Elvos in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •