Thread: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

What are your thoughts or memories when you think of the Aloha from Hawaii shows? Your favorite song performances from either the live show or rehearsal show?

When I think of the Aloha shows, I remember a few of the song performances that stand out in my mind. One of my favorites is the video below. I also remember this is the first concert I remember seeing as a child. I remember I watched my VHS tape of the show over and over. I have probably watched the concert 1.5 billion times. LOL. I remember watching the live show so intently each time I watched it and wishing I could have been there. I thought as a child that was the coolest jumpsuit ever, still do.

This song gave me chills even at 7 or 8 years old. What a performance Elvis!!!

Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Re: Aloha from Hawaii 40 Years Ago Today

I'm watching the Aloha right now and I remember all the emotions that I felt the day I saw it for the first time,via satellite, but in black and white because my television was then in black and white. Later I was lucky to watch in color. What emotions...he was great! 'Welcome To My World' captured my heart!

TCB Mafia

I remember watching it when it first came on TV in '73. What I remember most is him introducing his band and I said to my brother, "he has a band? I thought he was by himself". Hah!

It was a little under a year ago now that I first saw Aloha and all the preconceptions I'd had about Elvis disappeared in an instant. It's what really cemented me as a fan and made me want to look further into his career. Certain performances I adore because of the way he looks or what he does and others because I think he sings well. Love Me, Steamroller, Something, I'll Remember You are just some of my favourites.

I've always loved Aloha and just like the good Mod, I also had it on VHS in the early 90s and practically wore the tape out. It's still the only (officially) released that concert we have in it's entirety.

I also love watching the arrival scenes on the Deluxe DVD and I always seem to notice something new each time- this goes for the concert as well.

However, I've never understood all the love most fans have for I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry- Elvis sings it beautifully, but it's not a concert highlight for me; I much prefer I'll Remember You.

The scarf-giving was becoming an ever-bigger concert ritual by the time of Aloha and I always enjoy the interplay between Elvis and the audience.

This concert was way ahead of it's time and even today any major artist would be proud to have a stage setup like Aloha.

It's just a pity that this wonderful event was only captured on videotape and there were no 32mm or even 16mm film cameras to capture it on celluloid- So we'll never get to see Aloha in HD.

He was amazing, looked gorgeous, sang a wide range of songs.......The King in all aspects..........
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by augusta View Post
    I'm watching the Aloha right now and I remember all the emotions that I felt the day I saw it for the first time,via satellite, but in black and white because my television was then in black and white. Later I was lucky to watch in color. What emotions...he was great! 'Welcome To My World' captured my heart!
    I love to hear that song when you go up to the house.

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    It was a little under a year ago now that I first saw Aloha and all the preconceptions I'd had about Elvis disappeared in an instant. It's what really cemented me as a fan and made me want to look further into his career. Certain performances I adore because of the way he looks or what he does and others because I think he sings well. Love Me, Steamroller, Something, I'll Remember You are just some of my favourites.
    Yes, those are good songs.

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post
    I've always loved Aloha and just like the good Mod, I also had it on VHS in the early 90s and practically wore the tape out. It's still the only (officially) released that concert we have in it's entirety.

I also love watching the arrival scenes on the Deluxe DVD and I always seem to notice something new each time- this goes for the concert as well.

However, I've never understood all the love most fans have for I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry- Elvis sings it beautifully, but it's not a concert highlight for me; I much prefer I'll Remember You.

The scarf-giving was becoming an ever-bigger concert ritual by the time of Aloha and I always enjoy the interplay between Elvis and the audience.

This concert was way ahead of it's time and even today any major artist would be proud to have a stage setup like Aloha.

It's just a pity that this wonderful event was only captured on videotape and there were no 32mm or even 16mm film cameras to capture it on celluloid- So we'll never get to see Aloha in HD.
    I do too. He looks so cool in the cream color suit and with that walk its a homerun.

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I do too. He looks so cool in the cream color suit and with that walk its a homerun.
    That suit is AMAZING.
    "Music is the voice that tells the human race it is greater than it knows" -Napoleon Bonaparte

Watching the deluxe version right now, me and tons of people on tumblr having been blogging about it this weekend. It was years before I was born, and I see and hear it so differently than I did as a kid first watching it, and even when he is not at his best the man is still freakin' magic. Thank you Elvis and Thank God for you.
    "Music is the voice that tells the human race it is greater than it knows" -Napoleon Bonaparte

Backstage Pass

I remember watching The Aloha Special the year it was first broadcast but we only had a Black and white tv. It was amazing how he captivated an audience.

For me , the song Fever was a definite high point of the show. What now my Love is another powerful song performed brilliantly and Welcome to My World is song beautifully. The beautiful hula dancer performing during Elvis rendition of Ku-U-i-Po is another highlight

Mad Tigers

JR... at last someone who understands the technical limits of videotape! I have been making this point for years on forums that the Aloha can never be scanned at 1080p for blu-Ray because there are no negatives available to scan.
    A high definition Audio release from the multi-track tapes is possible though. So far all we have had is CD releases at 44.1 khz or DVD at 48 khz. I have taken a sample of the Aloha soundtrack and as audio at 48 khz (16 bit) it sounds great, but imaging if Sony decided to release a 192Khz release or even a 96Khz (at 24 bit) release, wow that would be so great.

seemingly, the concert in Hawaii yesterday showed angles not seen before......hopefully there's some footage out there still to be released
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    seemingly, the concert in Hawaii yesterday showed angles not seen before......hopefully there's some footage out there still to be released
    Cool!! Are you there in Hawaii?

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    Cool!! Are you there in Hawaii?

Lol........I wish;-)

Its on EIN....