Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larry Geller on Elvis in Hawaii?

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Larry Geller on Elvis in Hawaii?

Where does Larry come up with this stuff? I have heard that the guys wanted Elvis to take a year off and go to Hawaii for relaxation and get in shape. But move to Hawaii? He loved Graceland and Memphis to much. I could see him buying a house there because how much he loved it there. (As do I) What do you think?

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/stor...Yy2Pt8_Pg.cspx
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Re: Larry Geller on Elvis in Hawaii?

It's a nice thought, a year off with no work commitments, just r&r. Shame it didn't come into fruition, Gellar gets on my nerves.

Well, Larrys says he wanted to move there for a year. It doesn't mean he wouldn't go back and forth to Memphis, I guess. I can see Elvis doing this or at least wanting to do it.

"Elvis at the end of his life was making big changes and plans for his future and he was going to stop touring and stop working entirely," said Elvis Presley's hair dresser, Larry Geller. "And we had the house picked out here on the other side of the island. Elvis was going to come here for a year and get really healthy, change my diet, get in the water everyday, and get charged. Then i'm going to go back to hollywood and make movies as an actor".

Backstage Pass

Hawaii is very beautiful and the people are wonderful. I travelled there for the first time in '08. It certainly is a change of pace as opposed to the rest of the USA. I think it would have been beneficial for Elvis to have resided there, at least for part of the year.

I have read some of Geller's comments about Elvis and I personally take them with a grain of salt.

BTW, how long did Geller remain Elvis' hairdresser, as I have read that a woman did Elvis's hair for the Aloha Concert. I don't remember her name. WOuldn't Geller have done his hair if he was as close to Elvis as he has claimed?

Quote Originally Posted by asian1 View Post
    Hawaii is very beautiful and the people are wonderful. I travelled there for the first time in '08. It certainly is a change of pace as opposed to the rest of the USA. I think it would have been beneficial for Elvis to have resided there, at least for part of the year.

I have read some of Geller's comments about Elvis and I personally take them with a grain of salt.

BTW, how long did Geller remain Elvis' hairdresser, as I have read that a woman did Elvis's hair for the Aloha Concert. I don't remember her name. WOuldn't Geller have done his hair if he was as close to Elvis as he has claimed?
    Patty Perry I think is her name...the only woman to be a Memphis Mafia member.

RIP Tommy

of all the 'conversations' in Memphis last August...Larry's 'conversation' was the only one where people looked fidgety and bored
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    of all the 'conversations' in Memphis last August...Larry's 'conversation' was the only one where people looked fidgety and bored
    You know he is one of them I did not go to see this past year. I'm like everyone here, I take what he says with a grain of salt.

RIP Tommy

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by asian1 View Post
    Larry Geller was Elvis' hairdresser from 1964 through 1966.

Then he was banned from the group by Colonel Parker because the Memphis mafia guys thought all the new age religions that Geller introduced Elvis to was screwing his mind up.

Geller was allowed back into group in 1976 after Elvis fired Red, Sonny and Dave.

So Geller was around Elvis for about 4 years total.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    Patty Perry I think is her name...the only woman to be a Memphis Mafia member.
    I don't think she really was considered a member.

There are times when people think outloud-even daydream outloud....its making inner ideas/ desires/thoughts known...but that does not always mean the person doing so has full intentions of taking definitive action on those musings.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I don't think she really was considered a member.
    I have heard a lot of the guys talk about her like a kid sister when they speak or write about her....if any female was considered a member of the MM it would be her.
    But I do not think she was in the 24/7 on call situation that most of the MMwere..... she was definitely considered close to all from what I have heard and read.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    You know he is one of them I did not go to see this past year. I'm like everyone here, I take what he says with a grain of salt.
    I tend to take what they all say with a grain of salt except for what Charlie and Ed had to say. To me those two were the most credible.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I tend to take what they all say with a grain of salt except for what Charlie and Ed had to say. To me those two were the most credible.
    Charlie was one of the least credible. God Bless Him he loved Elvis so much that he tried to whitewash everything. Don't forget it was Charlie who said Elvis died of bone cancer.

I saw Larry Gellar in the lobby of the Peabody in August and I was like, "Um no". He just seems like such a flake. As much as wish Elvis could have had the freedom to find himself more spiritually, I am glad they got rid of Larry.
    "Music is the voice that tells the human race it is greater than it knows" -Napoleon Bonaparte

Elvis told others in the group that he wanted to change his lifestyle around those times. I remember Billy Smith saying something similar, not exactly this about Hawaii, but the intention was the same. So I don't find what Geller says so strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Elvis told others in the group that he wanted to change his lifestyle around those times. I remember Billy Smith saying something similar, not exactly this about Hawaii, but the intention was the same. So I don't find what Geller says so strange.
    It's not strange, it's just a case of putting the idea into motion. Pretty much like when someone says they want to give up smoking, but don't actually follow through with it. Still, it would've been great had the idea turned into a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    It's not strange, it's just a case of putting the idea into motion. Pretty much like when someone says they want to give up smoking, but don't actually follow through with it. Still, it would've been great had the idea turned into a reality.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post
    Charlie was one of the least credible. God Bless Him he loved Elvis so much that he tried to whitewash everything. Don't forget it was Charlie who said Elvis died of bone cancer.
    True I forgot that but as you said, he did really love him.

TCB Mafia

I don't know if the changing the lifestyle part is true but taking a year off and going to Hawaii was at least discussed.

I've heard Lamar Fike say that he discussed with Elvis about going to Hawaii and relaxing for a year.

But according to Lamar Elvis would always put it off.

Larry talks as if it was an absolute certainty.

So yeah i'm suspicious of what Larry says about this.

I met Larry once must have been back in the 80s and more recently exchanged emails a couple of times. He seems like a nice guy. You should read his book. He's had an interesting life.
    The Acoustic Rockabilly Channel ♫ for exclusive acoustic rockabilly videos

Elvis holidays & tours to Memphis & Graceland with Arena Travel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast