Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is Elvis ?

This is Elvis ?

Just shows how u forget things over the years, just watched the Disc 2 which includes the extended version with 45 extra minutes of footage, and almost fell off my chair with the Diamond Joe footage of finding Elvis at Graceland, plus all the Hospital stuff, its all in FULL FRAME but so much stuff not in the original version shown in theaters, anyone else watched the video version recently ?

Re: This is Elvis ?

I've seen bits and pieces on youtube, but not in its entirety. I think vivaelvis posted some clips of this last year??

I've watched both and I enjoy the "extended" version MUCH better than the theatrical version by a long shot.

I've seen both (although not recently) and I prefer the longer (extended) version as well. It is one of the best movies about him. And that was the 1st movie what I have seen about him on TV in 1992. And I was glad the whole movie was subtitled to Hungarian (even the song lyrics). Sometimes they used to play it on TV on his anniversaries, not in this year unfortunately. They should play this in every year.
    Last edited by cibetty; 01-04-2013 at 11:38 AM.

I LOVE
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪

My page on YouTube and on MyElvisWorld:
    http://www.youtube.com/cibetty, http://www.myelvisworld.com/cibetty

Quote Originally Posted by dennyelvis View Post
    just watched the Disc 2 which includes the extended version with 45 extra minutes of footage, and almost fell off my chair with the Diamond Joe footage of finding Elvis at Graceland, plus all the Hospital stuff, its all in FULL FRAME
    Disc 1 is better.

Disc 2 is NOT in "full frame". It is horribly zoomed in & because of this you lose some of the picture on both sides. Also the picture quality on this disc is very bad.

The theatrical version on Disc 1 is in much better picture quality and in full cinematic Widescreen so you see the whole picture. Also it is uncensored so you get the uncut limousine talk as well as Elvis' comments about the "thin chick" during the On Tour section.

I have always hated the Disc 2 extended version because of the way they dubbed over Elvis' voice to censor his comments. I would rather hear Elvis say what he said instead of listening to that Ral Donner overdub about the girl "waking the dead".

The Theatrical Disc 1 is the only version I watch as I want to see it particularly for the opening Graceland footage in beautiful picture quality and full widescreen!

DISC 1 Theatrical Version- Full Widescreen and good picture quality:

DISC 2 Censored TV version- Zoomed & cropped- inferior picture quality:

See the difference in picture quality? And see how much of the picture you lose on Disc 2.
    Last edited by JRtherealJR; 01-05-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Yep good points JR, i thought it may have been 4:3, but never zoom ! shame on them ...........

I bought the Dvd set back in 2010 on a sale in Germany for 5.99 euros. I was singing there and I checked out the big Dvd stores and found a lot of Elvis movies on sale for 5.99 so I bought some Elvis movies that I don't have on Dvd like Charro, Viva Las Vegas, This is Elvis, Jailhouse Rock and Live a little, love a little. Everything is in phenomenal quality. I have all 32 Elvis movies but on VHS so I'm getting them on Dvd now. I don't get JR's point but my Dvd set consists of two discs with the extended and the short version and they are both the same quality. Really good quality as a matter of fact. Obviously you have an older release JR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    my Dvd set consists of two discs with the extended and the short version and they are both the same quality. Really good quality as a matter of fact. Obviously you have an older release JR.
    Please watch your 2-Disc DVD set again and compare the 2 versions. You will see that the picture quality on Disc 2 (the home video version) is inferior to Disc 1 as my screencaps above show. Not only is the picture quality worse but the picture is also cropped.

I have the 2007 Warner Bros 2-DVD set which I'm sure is the same one you have.

This situation is comparable to the 2-DVD set of That's The Way It Is where the Disc 1 Special Edition was in great picture quality but the Disc 2 Original theatrical version was in inferior quality.

I don't get JR's point
    I hope this has helped you.

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post
    Please watch your 2-Disc DVD set again and compare the 2 versions. You will see that the picture quality on Disc 2 (the home video version) is inferior to Disc 1 as my screencaps above show. Not only is the picture quality worse but the picture is also cropped.

I have the 2007 Warner Bros 2-DVD set which I'm sure is the same one you have.

This situation is comparable to the 2-DVD set of That's The Way It Is where the Disc 1 Special Edition was in great picture quality but the Disc 2 Original theatrical version was in inferior quality.

I hope this has helped you.
    I'm sorry my friend looks like you got yourself a "crappy" copy.I'm telling you my friend that both of my copies are the same quality (checked again). As for That's the way it is special edition is ok but the original version is so much better. More rehearsing, extras, better setlist. The only thing that could be better is the sound quality.
    Last edited by Kajo; 01-07-2013 at 01:23 AM.

I'm sorry my friend looks like you got yourself a "crappy" copy.I'm telling you my friend that both of my copies are the same quality (checked again). As for That's the way it is special edition is ok but the original version is so much better. More rehearsing, extras, better setlist. The only thing that could be better is the sound quality.
    Please can you post 2 screencaps as I have done for comparison- then we will see if your copies really are the same quality as you claim. Thanks Kajo.

International Level Nicole Presley's Avatar

I have both versions and bought them just 3 or 4 years ago, and they´re not both the same quality.

I've watched both and I enjoy the "extended" version MUCH better than the theatrical version by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Presley View Post
    I have both versions and bought them just 3 or 4 years ago, and they´re not both the same quality.
    You are absolutely right, Nicole. The home video edit of THIS IS ELVIS on Disc 2 is in shockingly bad picture quality which is why I never watch it anymore.

That and the awful dubbing over of Elvis' voice in certain scenes!

Please can you post 2 screencaps as I have done for comparison- then we will see if your copies really are the same quality as you claim. Thanks Kajo.
    Still waiting for those 2 screencaps I asked for, Kajo.

By the way, I thought you might be interested in this review of the 2 Disc THIS IS ELVIS set which says the following:

The first disc contains the original 102-minute, PG-rated theatrical version of the film, while the second disc is devoted to the 144-minute edition released to home video in 1983. The longer version rambles needlessly and is more tasteless and voyeuristic (scenes of 'Ginger Aldren' waking up alone in bed and finding 'Elvis' slumped on the Graceland bathroom floor were cut for the theatrical release); its full-frame picture quality also is inferior to that of the widescreen original release.
    http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/revi...is_elvis.shtml

I and others on this forum are right- the picture quality on Disc 2 is indeed inferior to the version on Disc 1.

So why were you telling me that I had a "crappy" copy and why were you so convinced that your 2 Discs were of equal picture quality even after you "checked again"?

JR I actually have a job and don't have the time neither need to prove you anything. I don't care about your little review there. I know what I have at home and nobody can convince me different. So you better leave it now I don't want things to become ugly here on the forum because of this. First of all I don't even know how to post those caps but if it satisfies you I will at some point take the pics on my Tv on both dvd's and post them here. Now leave me alone or as you in England would say bug off mate.

I will at some point take the pics on my Tv on both dvd's and post them here.
    Thank you. I'm looking forward to it.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to it.
    Yeah me too pal.

Only the picture ratio is different. 16:9 at the theatrical version and 4:3 at the extended version, like it went on TV (old 4:3 TV) and on VHS. I have the movie on VHS, as I recorded it from TV. I still have 4:3 TV, so I see black stripes on the theatrical version, that's all. I still prefer the longer version, as I saw it on TV in 1992, with Hungarian subtitles. The whole movie was subtitled, even the song lyrics, what I missed from the DVD. Anyway I love both versions.
    Last edited by cibetty; 01-16-2013 at 12:53 AM.

I LOVE
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪

Quote Originally Posted by cibetty View Post
    Only the picture ratio is different.
    No.

The version on Disc 1 is a remastered new digital transfer.
    Last edited by JRtherealJR; 01-16-2013 at 04:33 PM.

I think the quality is perfect on both DVDs. When I first saw it on TV in 1992, of course the picture quality was not so good like nowadays on DVDs. It was at the time of VHS casettes. But nothing can describe the feeling when I understood the song lyrics on my language, as I said it was subtitled. The ending is very touching.

http://indavideo.hu/video/This_is_El...yar_felirattal
    Last edited by cibetty; 01-19-2013 at 04:21 AM.

I LOVE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast