Thread: Carmina Burana

Carmina Burana

Hey people as some you know I have been away for a week. I had 2 very extremely succesful performances in Croatia at the National Opera House in Rijeka singing the part of The Roasted Swan in Carl Orff's famous Carmina Burana (again). This time it was a much bigger success and I'm really satisfied. My expectations weren't that high. Anyway, without further ado I will post you the video of my first performance from the 28th of November. I hope some of you folks here on the forum will enjoy it.

http://youtu.be/ma6eOydXSAE
    Last edited by Kajo; 12-22-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Re: Carmina Burana

Yes, this person is among "some of you folks here"!
    You forgot to tell them it is actually quite difficult to get the part right. And that it's difficult enough just to find a singer who has the right voice.
    I think this music isn't meant to be "beautiful", or in other words to please. The dramatic aspect is more important. How to present the perspective of the roasted swan, that is the challenge!
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

You got it right my friend. The roasted swan is melodramatic. He is suffering cause they are roasting and eating him and he's singing about his misery. You have to try to imagine that how ir would be in that situation somedy roasting you alive it's also tragic comic in a way. And you have to puz youtsrlf into that position imagine ot and then let it out of you when you perform. And yes it is true that they are very few Roasted swans in the opera world. It's on of the heaviest parts in the Operatic Tenor repertoire. And without bragging or being cocky I'm one of the only 2 Roasted Swans in Croatia.
    Last edited by Kajo; 12-21-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    You got it right my friend. The roasted swan is melodramatic. He is suffering cause they are roasting and eating him and he's singing about his misery. You have to try to imagine that how ir would be in that situation somedy roasting you alive it's also tragic comic in a way. And you have to puz youtsrlf into that position imagine ot and then let it out of you when you perform. And yes it is true that they are very few Roasted swans in the opera world. It's on of the heaviest parts in the Operatic Tenor repertoire. And without bragging or being cocky I'm one of the only 2 Roasted Swans in Croatia.
    Guess you have to sing at the top of your vocal range while doing your part?

I have a deeper voice and can sing at the bottom of my range if I want to. It is also possible to perform counter-tenor technique (or perhaps alt range) and yodel too. It is harder for me to get a balance between the high and low possibilities of my range, such as getting the peaks and lows right while being able to maintain the length of the notes.

Are there any interesting low parts in Carmina Burana, what do you think?
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

Well it's not the top of my range. I can still sing two notes higher in full voice not falsetto all the way to the High f. That's extremely high for a man. That goes already into countertenor territory but I'm still a tenor since that is my limit. No they are actually no really any interesting low parts in Carmina Burana neither much for the choir and especially not for the 3 soloists. Orff really wanted to take the limit out of every voice, (soprano, tenor and bariton)

Well it's not the top of my range. I can still sing two notes higher in full voice not falsetto all the way to the High f. That's extremely high for a man. That goes already into countertenor territory but I'm still a tenor since that is my limit. No they are actually no really any interesting low parts in Carmina Burana neither much for the choir and especially not for the 3 soloists. Orff really wanted to take the limit out of every voice, (soprano, tenor and bariton)
    Yes that is extremely high. Do they call that the "second" tenor perhaps? I know a "high" tenor, but he doesn't sing opera.

Well, guess a low voice has nothing to do there. What I liked very much is the role of "Il Commendatore" in Don Giovanni. Perhaps that would fit me once my voice is riper and older. Do you like that part (as a listener)?

Well yeah I like it. I'm not crazy about Mozart, but Don Giovanni and The Magic Flute are a must for every opera lover. No they don't call it second tenor. You have these phrases 1st 2nd tenor,soprano, bass, bariton, mezzosoprano and alt only in choirs. The 2nd ones are always the deeper voices. So if you would have somebody in a choir with that that would be a first tenor and probably the highest tenor in the choir. That's a fact. From my own experience I sang 4 and half years in the choir before I started my career as a soloist.

Well yeah I like it. I'm not crazy about Mozart, but Don Giovanni and The Magic Flute are a must for every opera lover. No they don't call it second tenor. You have these phrases 1st 2nd tenor,soprano, bass, bariton, mezzosoprano and alt only in choirs. The 2nd ones are always the deeper voices. So if you would have somebody in a choir with that that would be a first tenor and probably the highest tenor in the choir. That's a fact. From my own experience I sang 4 and half years in the choir before I started my career as a soloist.
    Thank you for explaining that to me!
    Would love you to help me find out what cute little singing voice I "belong" to, LOL!
    And good luck tomorrow!

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Yes, I didn't know what you were singing but it was very good and you should be proud at your performance. Now that I have read your statement of what it is about it makes a little more sense to me.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    Yes, this person is among "some of you folks here"!
    You forgot to tell them it is actually quite difficult to get the part right. And that it's difficult enough just to find a singer who has the right voice.
    I think this music isn't meant to be "beautiful", or in other words to please. The dramatic aspect is more important. How to present the perspective of the roasted swan, that is the challenge!

Yes, our man (Karlo) undertaking this challenge and .... My congratulations!
    I love music, I listen to music often monastery, calms me.
    I really like the effect of your hard work. How it achieved? The result?
    This is already the case talent and work ...
    As I said Leaonardo da Vinci, talent is one percent of the rest is hard work!
    I'll Remember You!!!

CONGATULATIONS!!!! CARLO - I feel honored, being in your company, if only just for the TCB.
    I'll Remember You!!!

You are talented Carlo! The background singers and the music was great too. Congrats! Betti

I LOVE
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

My page on YouTube and on MyElvisWorld:
    http://www.youtube.com/cibetty, http://www.myelvisworld.com/cibetty

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    Yes, I didn't know what you were singing but it was very good and you should be proud at your performance. Now that I have read your statement of what it is about it makes a little more sense to me.
    Yeah King, I just noticed in the quote how many mistakes I made. I was tired and it was late. I'm glad that you understood it. The music of Carmina Burana is magical each part of it. If you liked this part you will like the other ones too. Maybe even more. You should check out that nice piece of music it's worth it

Thank you so much Evi. Well as you put it already out there it's achieved with 8 years of hard studying and never finishing. Even when you have a career you have to keep constantly working with your teacher on your voice. Oh and yes I agree with DaVinci simple but well said. Thx for the congrats btw.

@my friend Betti Thx a lot yes it's the Opera houses Mail Choir and yes they are great. They also have quite some soloist potentials in their choir both male and female. Oh yes and thx for the Congrats too my friend.

Well people I just wanna say I'm blown away. I'm really glad you like the videos. If you are interest for some more recordings you can check out my myspace or my new official Facebook site:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Karlo-...69559659733345

www.myspace.com/karloljubicic

...and I must say I'm proud to be a member of such a great forum with so many nice people. Thx guys. You made my day

Your voice simply is wonderful Karlo my friend.

I usually do not care for this type of singing or the music, but I can tell when something is from the heart and good. And your singing for sure is!

And I can tell you, our own Tommy would so have loved to see and hear you!

Thank you for sharing, and making me interested in another style of singing. Keep up what you are doing buddy, it's good.

Carlo, this we we're proud to have such a talented artist what you ...
    Rene (Sonny) is right, Tommy loved music, he created and played the piano, guitar and ...many others.
    Certainly would be happy if he could hear you.
    I'll Remember You!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    Your voice simply is wonderful Karlo my friend.

I usually do not care for this type of singing or the music, but I can tell when something is from the heart and good. And your singing for sure is!

And I can tell you, our own Tommy would so have loved to see and hear you!

Thank you for sharing, and making me interested in another style of singing. Keep up what you are doing buddy, it's good.

Thanks a lot Sonny. That means a lot to me. If my singing touched you and you apreciate it. That's the magic bro, that's it, my work is done.

Quote Originally Posted by elvia7 View Post
    Carlo, this we we're proud to have such a talented artist what you ...
    Rene (Sonny) is right, Tommy loved music, he created and played the piano, guitar and ...many others.
    Certainly would be happy if he could hear you.
    Yeah well Unfortunately he is not with us anymroe and that's very sad. Even though I didn't know him that well it's a tragedy for all of his friends and family (of course) and also all of you guys here on the forum who knew him well. But yes if you say so Evi and if he liked all kinds of music and played different instruments well I guess he would think it's interesting. And I would love to hear what he would have to say. Oh, once more thank you Evi for the compliments.