Thread: Elvis Day may be coming!

Elvis Day may be coming!

Strangely this important and major news story hasn't yet been addressed by EPE, but it's being reported that Elvis may soon get his own national holiday here in the US as early as this coming January 8, 2013!!! 10 currently seated congressmen are strongly pushing for the US Congress to approve Elvis Presley Day. They are making a strong case for it by using Elvis' accomplishments both as an entertainer and as an American icon and hero. His generosity for giving to charities and doing free concerts. His serving for the US Army. His undying fan following now 35 years after his death. They are also making it be known that there is no holiday in this country for any entertainer and that Elvis would be the most worthy of one.

It's still a long shot, but it's the closest we have or may ever come to Elvis being given such an untouchable honor. You give him a national holiday and it immediately separates Elvis from all other entertainers both past and present.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Re: Elvis Day may be coming!

Nice thought. Lets keep hoping !!!
    If your an Elvis fan, no explanation is necessary....
    If your not, no explanation is possible!

Man that would be great. Our Man definitely deserves it.

TCB Mafia

I agree that this would be a great honour and long overdue in my opinion. I suspect that the reason EPE have not given the story any publicity is because they currently do not have a Marketing Director following Scott Williams departure two months ago. Of course they may also not wish to pre-empt the outcome. From reports I have seen it would appear that there will not be enough time to discuss the motion this time around BUT I feel that it will come about very soon. However, I suspect there will be quite a bit of opposition for the motion due to fans and power bases for other 'establishment' entertainers e.g. Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope, Louis Armstrong, Ray Charles and that's just the males.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Strangely this important and major news story hasn't yet been addressed by EPE, but it's being reported that Elvis may soon get his own national holiday here in the US as early as this coming January 8, 2013!!! 10 currently seated congressmen are strongly pushing for the US Congress to approve Elvis Presley Day. They are making a strong case for it by using Elvis' accomplishments both as an entertainer and as an American icon and hero. His generosity for giving to charities and doing free concerts. His serving for the US Army. His undying fan following now 35 years after his death. They are also making it be known that there is no holiday in this country for any entertainer and that Elvis would be the most worthy of one.

It's still a long shot, but it's the closest we have or may ever come to Elvis being given such an untouchable honor. You give him a national holiday and it immediately separates Elvis from all other entertainers both past and present.
    He doesn't need a day for that, Elvis is in my mind completely seperate and above the rest. I hope it happens though.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    He doesn't need a day for that, Elvis is in my mind completely seperate and above the rest. I hope it happens though.
    Amen to that but it will be interesting to see if it happens.

TCB Mafia

Elvis' impact goes far beyond just entertainment, and beyond that of most any other entertainer. There are some skeletons, but I think that makes an even more compelling case for an Elvis Presley Day.

Long overdue if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    Man that would be great. Our Man definitely deserves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    Elvis' impact goes far beyond just entertainment, and beyond that of most any other entertainer. There are some skeletons, but I think that makes an even more compelling case for an Elvis Presley Day.

Long overdue if it happens.
    agree.........would be fantastic
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

This has been proposed many times before and it goes nowhere.
    There are currently no plans to bring this subject up on the House of Representatives floor.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    This has been proposed many times before and it goes nowhere.
    There are currently no plans to bring this subject up on the House of Representatives floor.
    That's news to me. The only time I remember ever hearing it a possibility was years ago when a fanclub president was asking a state rep to support it and got laughed at. Times have obviously changed as this time it's the reps pushing for it and not a bunch of die hard fans. Seeing that at least 10 reps are strongly pushing for it that gives it more of a chance, even if a small chance, for it to reach the Reps floor for a vote.

And you are wrong about no plans to bring it to the house. There are definitely plans. It's just not known when or how, yet.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

I wish it would happen but it won't right now. They won't have time to vote on anything like this with the "Fiscal Cliff" on the horizon.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Amen to that but it will be interesting to see if it happens.

Interesting and wonderful!
    I'll Remember You!!!

For sure it's nice idea! Lets hope

That's news to me. The only time I remember ever hearing it a possibility was years ago when a fanclub president was asking a state rep to support it and got laughed at. Times have obviously changed as this time it's the reps pushing for it and not a bunch of die hard fans. Seeing that at least 10 reps are strongly pushing for it that gives it more of a chance, even if a small chance, for it to reach the Reps floor for a vote.

And you are wrong about no plans to bring it to the house. There are definitely plans. It's just not known when or how, yet.
    There are "no plans to bring this up" Speaker Boehner has put a stop to what some call frivilous use of Congressional time-and in the midst of unprecedented fiscal problems-there is no way this is going to the House floor.......10 members holds no power to force this to the floor-there are 438 House members....10 members is about 2 1/2% of the total members who represent the citizens of the US...this is going nowhere.
    I would love to see it happen-but until at least 50% of the Representatives in the House sign on... it will sit with literally thousands of bills going nowhere.
    Work in Progress!

Original story about this proposal:

WASHINGTON (WTVA) -- Could the King of Rock n' Roll be the next person to get a national holiday in his honor?

Ten members of the U. S. House of Representatives, including Congressmen Alan Nunnelee and Gregg Harper of Mississippi, have co-authored a bill that could do just that.

The measure was introduced last week to designate January 8 at Elvis Presley Day.

The bill says Elvis' impact on the world of music and his continued popularity 35 years after his death are among the reasons he should be honored.

The members say there is currently no national holiday to celebrate the birth of an American cultural icon.

There is no word on when, or if the measure will be brought up for debate.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Original story about this proposal:

WASHINGTON (WTVA) -- Could the King of Rock n' Roll be the next person to get a national holiday in his honor?

Ten members of the U. S. House of Representatives, including Congressmen Alan Nunnelee and Gregg Harper of Mississippi, have co-authored a bill that could do just that.

The measure was introduced last week to designate January 8 at Elvis Presley Day.

The bill says Elvis' impact on the world of music and his continued popularity 35 years after his death are among the reasons he should be honored.

The members say there is currently no national holiday to celebrate the birth of an American cultural icon.

There is no word on when, or if the measure will be brought up for debate.

Well, it looks like it made it to Congress. Here's the latest.

Congress asked to designate 'Elvis Day'
    By Bartholomew Sullivan
    Posted December 12, 2012 at 6:16 p.m.

WASHINGTON A North Carolina congressman defeated for re-election last month has introduced a resolution expressing Congressional support for designating Jan. 8 as "Elvis Presley Day."

U.S. Rep. Larry Kissell, D-N.C., has already picked up 10 co-sponsors, including Mid-South Congressmen Alan Nunnelee, R-Miss., and Jim Cooper, D-Tenn.

The resolution notes that Presley was born on that date in 1935 in Tupelo, Miss., and "remains one of the most famous American entertainers of all time whose influence on music and whose cultural impact continues today."

It notes that Presley served in the Army and has been "hailed as the 'King of Rock and Roll.'" It notes that he died in Memphis and that Graceland is on the National Register of Historic Places. And it points out that the 1993 postage stamp featuring Elvis "became the most popular stamp in United States history."

In a statement shortly after introducing the resolution, Kissell, who represents a district east of Charlotte, also noted that a billion people watched the first world-wide television broadcast, Elvis' "Aloha from Hawaii."

"We have many Elvis fans in our district, and on their behalf I have introduced a resolution to express the sense of Congress that Elvis' birthday, January 8, should be celebrated," Kissell's statement reads. "This legislation costs no money to taxpayers and doesn't require a day off for the Federal government, but it does celebrate perhaps our first real worldwide cultural icon whose legacy continues to help us export our culture internationally.

"I believe our government can do more than one thing at a time, and that as we continue to try to find a resolution to our budget woes and get our fiscal house in order, we can also find common ground on a simple bill like this one."

The legislation-monitoring website GovTrack.us gives the bill a 31 percent chance of passing before Congress adjourns later this month.

U.S. Reps. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., and Stephen Fincher, R-Tenn., who represent parts of Memphis, are not yet sponsors of the resolution. Fincher's spokesman, Jennifer Cook, said he has not yet had a chance to review it. Informed of the resolution, Cohen's office was seeking his comment Wednesday.

2012 Memphis Commercial Appeal.

By Bartholomew Sullivan

WASHINGTON — A North Carolina congressman defeated for re-election last month has introduced a resolution expressing Congressional support for designating Jan. 8 as "Elvis Presley Day."

U.S. Rep. Larry Kissell, D-N.C., has already picked up 10 co-sponsors, including Mid-South Congressmen Alan Nunnelee, R-Miss., and Jim Cooper, D-Tenn.

The resolution notes that Presley was born on that date in 1935 in Tupelo, Miss., and "remains one of the most famous American entertainers of all time whose influence on music and whose cultural impact continues today."

It notes that Presley served in the Army and has been "hailed as the 'King of Rock and Roll.'" It notes that he died in Memphis and that Graceland is on the National Register of Historic Places. And it points out that the 1993 postage stamp featuring Elvis "became the most popular stamp in United States history."

In a statement shortly after introducing the resolution, Kissell, who represents a district east of Charlotte, also noted that a billion people watched the first world-wide television broadcast, Elvis' "Aloha from Hawaii."

"We have many Elvis fans in our district, and on their behalf I have introduced a resolution to express the sense of Congress that Elvis' birthday, January 8, should be celebrated," Kissell's statement reads. "This legislation costs no money to taxpayers and doesn't require a day off for the Federal government, but it does celebrate perhaps our first real worldwide cultural icon whose legacy continues to help us export our culture internationally.

"I believe our government can do more than one thing at a time, and that as we continue to try to find a resolution to our budget woes and get our fiscal house in order, we can also find common ground on a simple bill like this one."

The legislation-monitoring website GovTrack.us gives the bill a 31 percent chance of passing before Congress adjourns later this month.

U.S. Reps. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., and Stephen Fincher, R-Tenn., who represent parts of Memphis, are not yet sponsors of the resolution. Fincher's spokesman, Jennifer Cook, said he has not yet had a chance to review it. Informed of the resolution, Cohen's office was seeking his comment Wednesday.

It is not a matter of making it to Congress- every day hundreds of bills for some type of legislation are "proposed"....."They mean nothing" until they are given a place upon the House calender to be debated and possibly a yea or nea vote.
    I am sorry Viva, thats the way it works, thats the way of Congress.....and as I read the statement put forth in announcing this, it really is not making Elvis's birthday a national holiday......I have introduced a resolution to express the sense of Congress that Elvis' birthday, January 8, should be celebrated,....
    resolution to express the sense of Congress...its a way of saying "its not binding its not a legal holiday but its a nod to Elvis fans"
    Nothing wrong with this for sure-but its far from a National Day dedicted officially to Elvis..such as Martin Luther Kings birthday, or Washington/Lincoln....but we'll see if its called up for debate and a vote.
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Ken is right it's not going to happen.

John Boener is right that there are more important things and congress and the senate already waste too much time on unimportant things.

What Elvis did is important but to me i don't know if it was as important as what the founding fathers of America, Martin Luther King, The Veterans, Christopher Columbus etc. did.

Making Elvis' birthday a national holiday it's not as warranted.

The fans already remember and honor Elvis on his birthday and the anniversary of his death.

TCB Mafia

By Bartholomew Sullivan

WASHINGTON — A North Carolina congressman defeated for re-election last month has introduced a resolution expressing Congressional support for designating Jan. 8 as "Elvis Presley Day."

This does not fill me with much optimism.