Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sir Cliff Richard Would Like a 'Cliff and Elvis' Duets Album

Re: Sir Cliff Richard Would Like a 'Cliff and Elvis' Duets Album

I think it was the religion took off in a big way.......he altered to a clean living young man.....lol
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Im not a big Cliff fan but i have nothing but respect and admiration for him for having a career in the music business for 55 years. I get so angry at some Elvis fans though for the way they run Cliff down and belittle his achievements and the reason i get so angry is they are such hypocrites. These same people go crazy and roll out how many No 1s and top tens Elvis had , how long Elvis was at the top , his sales , his movie success , his sold out concerts when anyone runs Elvis down but yet they ignore the fact that in Europe, Australia, New Zealand , Canada and lots of other regions Cliff has had pretty much as much success as Elvis. The man has had 66 Top 10s & 14 No 1s in the british charts. If you go to Top 40s he's had 118 , selling 21 million singles in the UK . This makes him the third biggest selling singles artist in British chart history. He has 54 Top 20 albums in the UK and He has sold 250 million records worldwide. You may not like the mans music but in Britain he has outsold Elton John , David Bowie , The Rolling Stones , Abba , Bruce Spingsteen and countless others. Show the man and his achievements the same respect you expect others to show Elvis achievements.
    Last edited by poor boy; 12-10-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Well one thing is music and artistic value and another thing is sales, I actually can't care less about how many #1 hits Elvis have in South Africa or if Cliff has sell more records than Elvis and the Stones in Norway or Guatemala, to me Cliff is cool during his early days just because its sounds good, then after he lost the plot, just as Elvis did during the mid 60's, that regardless of Elvis being the highest earning star at the time of Harum Scarum (talking about one thing is money making and another musical value).

Now Elvis made a comeback and proved that his musicianship was beyond rock and roll and whatever trends, Cliff despite having a bunch of hits until now, has proved to be nothing but a mere pastiche and his rock and roll days where just doing what was cool. Sorry Cliff.

Still like his old 50's records anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Well one thing is music and artistic value and another thing is sales, I actually can't care less about how many #1 hits Elvis have in South Africa or if Cliff has sell more records than Elvis and the Stones in Norway or Guatemala, to me Cliff is cool during his early days just because its sounds good, then after he lost the plot, just as Elvis did during the mid 60's, that regardless of Elvis being the highest earning star at the time of Harum Scarum (talking about one thing is money making and another musical value).

Now Elvis made a comeback and proved that his musicianship was beyond rock and roll and whatever trends, Cliff despite having a bunch of hits until now, has proved to be nothing but a mere pastiche and his rock and roll days where just doing what was cool. Sorry Cliff.

Still like his old 50's records anyhow.
    Im just talking about the fact that since 1958 when Cliff first appeared hundreds of acts have come and gone. Acts that the critics may have loved , the media may have loved , the kids may have loved , the girls may have loved , the boys may have loved , the mums and dads may have loved and the general public may have loved. Yet in this for the most part transient fickle business where trends and styles change with the wind the man stayed on top for so many years and like i said weather you like him or not. The man deserves respect for that.

Cliff Richards is to be saluted for his longevity in the music world I agree-but IMO is not in the same league as Elvis.
    USA population today is over 300 million, Britain 60 million, Canada, 35 million, Australia 22 million, New Zealand 4.5 million (we have cities with larger populations than New Zealand)....the descrepancies in population are about the same proportionally for these countries in the 50s....Elvis conquered the USA in the 50s and also the rest of the world-without setting foot on their shores as a touring performer.
    Elvis was the innovator and whirlwind that sold rock to everyone-he set the standard-Cliff followed that standard.
    The worlds musicians wanted to conquer the US-that was the bellmark of success-USA had the population, the money and power....Cliff just never had that type of success in the US-it just never happened.
    Elvis did have that type of success in the world-without ever performing live in those countries....that is the difference.
    Leader and follower.
    No disrespect to Mr Richard as I said he has survived in one form or another for over 50 years.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Cliff Richards is to be saluted for his longevity in the music world I agree-but IMO is not in the same league as Elvis.
    USA population today is over 300 million, Britain 60 million, Canada, 35 million, Australia 22 million, New Zealand 4.5 million (we have cities with larger populations than New Zealand)....the descrepancies in population are about the same proportionally for these countries in the 50s....Elvis conquered the USA in the 50s and also the rest of the world-without setting foot on their shores as a touring performer.
    Elvis was the innovator and whirlwind that sold rock to everyone-he set the standard-Cliff followed that standard.
    The worlds musicians wanted to conquer the US-that was the bellmark of success-USA had the population, the money and power....Cliff just never had that type of success in the US-it just never happened.
    Elvis did have that type of success in the world-without ever performing live in those countries....that is the difference.
    Leader and follower.
    No disrespect to Mr Richard as I said he has survived in one form or another for over 50 years.
    Im not comparing Cliff Richard to Elvis in any shape or form. I was just talking about how a lot of people on this site belittle him and run him down as if he is a no talent nobody. Again im just saying like him or loath him the man has had an amazingly successful career so deserves respect.

Quote Originally Posted by poor boy View Post
    Im not comparing Cliff Richard to Elvis in any shape or form. I was just talking about how a lot of people on this site belittle him and run him down as if he is a no talent nobody. Again im just saying like him or loath him the man has had an amazingly successful career so deserves respect.
    I know what you're saying, but when you genuinely do not find an artist to your liking, it's sometimes a little difficult to be pleasant about them and their music. Sure he's been a success for eons and I'm not disputing his success at all, but for me personally I just find his music utterly boring and lacking in real fire power.

Quote Originally Posted by poor boy View Post
    Im just talking about the fact that since 1958 when Cliff first appeared hundreds of acts have come and gone. Acts that the critics may have loved , the media may have loved , the kids may have loved , the girls may have loved , the boys may have loved , the mums and dads may have loved and the general public may have loved. Yet in this for the most part transient fickle business where trends and styles change with the wind the man stayed on top for so many years and like i said weather you like him or not. The man deserves respect for that.
    Fair enough. As I said, I actually like his early stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    I know what you're saying, but when you genuinely do not find an artist to your liking, it's sometimes a little difficult to be pleasant about them and their music. Sure he's been a success for eons and I'm not disputing his success at all, but for me personally I just find his music utterly boring and lacking in real fire power.
    I find if it's an artist I don't like I just don't say anything. It's not hard
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8558/42274.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I find if it's an artist I don't like I just don't say anything. It's not hard
    I'm not you though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12