Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman

Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman

These guys wrote several hits for Elvis back in the day, although I know most of you know this anyway, just thought I'd mention them just in case.

One of my favourite songs that I listen to obsessively - enjoy

Re: Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman

You'll Think of Me

great songs.....and anything from 69 gets my vote
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

I knew you'd appreciate the video for You'll Think of Me, beautiful pics of him

Little Sister

TCB Mafia

''You'll think of me'' was written by only Mort Shuman not Doc Pomus and Shuman.

I think Elvis should have recorded a few more Pomus & Shuman songs during the early 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    ''You'll think of me'' was written by only Mort Shuman not Doc Pomus and Shuman.

I think Elvis should have recorded a few more Pomus & Shuman songs during the early 60s.
    My mistake, cheers Brian and I agree with your last statement, given the hits they also had with other artists.

Love the songs of those guys, both the ones Elvis did as well as The Drifters ones.

Here's some reading about those great great songwriters:

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvi...t_shuman.shtml

Quite interesting to know Doc Pomus and Elvis had plans to meet in 1977 as we know Elvis was desperate to get good songs again, to bad to late.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 11-22-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    Little Sister

you've got my 'taste' sorted........one of my favs too....lol
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Love the songs of those guys, both the ones Elvis did as well as The Drifters ones.

Here's some reading about those great great songwriters:

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvi...t_shuman.shtml

Quite interesting to know Doc Pomus and Elvis had plans to meet in 1977 as we know Elvis was desperate to get good songs again, to bad to late.
    Thanks for the link, a nice bit of info there. I think it's a shame they never got to meet Elvis and who knows what we'd have if they started writing for him again. The what ifs could drive me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    you've got my 'taste' sorted........one of my favs too....lol
    I don't know about you, but when the guitar intro starts I find myself attempting to sound like a guitar lol

I don't know about you, but when the guitar intro starts I find myself attempting to sound like a guitar lol
    lol.....absolutely...when I dance to this, I play an imaginary guitar (sad eh) songs like this that I wish I'd learnt to play the guitar

TCB Mafia

Thanks for the link, a nice bit of info there. I think it's a shame they never got to meet Elvis and who knows what we'd have if they started writing for him again. The what ifs could drive me insane.
    Doc Pomus retired from songwriting around 1966 and didn't start writing songs again until the late 70s or early 80s.

I think Doc Pomus just wanted to meet Elvis but i don't think there was going to be a collaboration of any kind.

"You'll Think of Me" one of my favorite Elvis ballads, soulful and driving all at the same time.
    Work in Progress!

Doc Pomus retired from songwriting around 1966 and didn't start writing songs again until the late 70s or early 80s.

I think Doc Pomus just wanted to meet Elvis but i don't think there was going to be a collaboration of any kind.
    It's hard to say what could've happened if a meet took place, but if Pomus was suffering from writers block meeting Elvis may have kick started the creative juices again. What if......

TCB Mafia

It's hard to say what could've happened if a meet took place, but if Pomus was suffering from writers block meeting Elvis may have kick started the creative juices again. What if......
    Doubtful.

Elvis met a lot of songwriters and other singers that would have loved to have collaborated with him if he asked but he never did.

With Doc Pomus not even writing songs at that time a collaboration between them during that period is hard to see happening.

If they did meet Elvis and Doc Pomus would have probably hung out and talked for a while but that likely would've been the extent of it.

Doubtful.

Elvis met a lot of songwriters and other singers that would have loved to have collaborated with him if he asked but he never did.

With Doc Pomus not even writing songs at that time a collaboration between them during that period is hard to see happening.

If they did meet Elvis and Doc Pomus would have probably hung out and talked for a while but that likely would've been the extent of it.
    If you're a jobbing musician, singer or writer, it is you who should be asking for the opportunity, not the other way round. You don't ask, you don't get.

It is not out of the realms of possibility that a collobaration could've happened. We will never know regardless.

I'd imagine getting to meet someone of Elvis' stature would be something many people would mull over and over and over. Again, we will never know what could've happened.

TCB Mafia

If you're a jobbing musician, singer or writer, it is you who should be asking for the opportunity, not the other way round. You don't ask, you don't get.

It is not out of the realms of possibility that a collobaration could've happened. We will never know regardless.

I'd imagine getting to meet someone of Elvis' stature would be something many people would mull over and over and over. Again, we will never know what could've happened.
    That's the thing also Elvis met a lot of celebrities and most of the time they never offered to write anything for him either.

Elvis was friends with songwriter Jackie Deshannon but i've never heard her say she offered to write any songs for him.

When Elvis met the Beatles they didn't offer to write a song for him.

When Elvis met the Beatles, Jackie Deshannon or Led Zeppelin all he did was hang out with them for a couple of hours but as you know no collaboration happened.

Unlike like them Doc Pomus wasn't writing songs at the time he was wanting to meet Elvis.

That's the thing also Elvis met a lot of celebrities and most of the time they never offered to write anything for him either.

Elvis was friends with songwriter Jackie Deshannon but i've never heard her say she offered to write any songs for him.

When Elvis met the Beatles they didn't offer to write a song for him.

When Elvis met the Beatles, Jackie Deshannon or Led Zeppelin all he did was hang out with them for a couple of hours but as you know no collaboration happened.

Unlike like them Doc Pomus wasn't writing songs at the time he was wanting to meet Elvis.
    That's mostly right, Elvis didn't ask, and people didn't offer. So...

Led Zeppelin didn't offered a song, but they did offered to open a show for him if he wanted... guess Elvis should have answered: send me a song instead guys, or lets cook and album together, produce me. Same with the Beatles, is reported they asked him why he didn't cut anymore straight rock songs, he should have answered, well send me some songs boys! I'm sure they would have love to do that, but I guess Elvis was also a very proud guy, so he wasn't at all doing that. Funny thing is, if Elvis had wanted, he could have had songs from almost anyone, but he didn't liked to socialice I guess. The Kings don't asks favors. Elton John is reported he did offered a to write a song for him, but Elvis passed on it so there you go.

Yet people like Leiber/Stoller, Pomus/Shuman, or Otis Blackwell, people they did colaborated in the past with Elvis achieveing great benefit for both, could have been another story, but Leiber/Stoller who where still involved in production and song writing into the 70's, didn't wanted to get involved with Col. Parker after '58, which is a shame, they where great for Elvis, and Pomus and Shuman retired in the mid to late 60's, don't know what happened with Mr. Blackwell.

So I don't know which where Pomus intetions, if he had any songs to offer or just wanted to say hi and remniesce about the good times. It was obvious yet that both, Pomus and Presley where basically at the end of the road, and could have used each others help, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 11-26-2012 at 03:41 PM.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

I think people might be forgetting that Elvis was the biggest star ever. Most people were scared to death to be around him for the most part. We also know the future and what was happening in his life. These other stars probably thought this guy has sold more records than anyone on the planet and is the rock star of all rock stars, why would we offer advice to THE KING. They would want advice from him not the other way around.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast