Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Prince From Another Planet MSG CDs

Review: Prince From Another Planet MSG CDs

Hi, just got the new Box set The Madison Square Garden "remixed" audio's LP & CD's, "Like A Prince From Another Planet"
    Likes & Dislikes

The Artwork, photos,
    Booklet
    Like that the 1972 Album is a bit punchier, it needed a little boost.
    Having both CD's on one boxset and a cool one at that.

Dislikes:
    I don't care who's name is on the remixing credits, the two CD's were just boosted up to match today's technology, that's all. I don't hear a big difference in the mix. Just a little here and there.
    I said I liked it Punchier but to be honest I could have done that myself.

Overall:
    It would be interesting to hear these soundboard recordings in the "Raw".
    I loved the original audios as much as I do this new box set version.

I'm a big fan of the 1972 MSG LP so I just had to have this set.

Overall I'm Happy but think they could have done a lot more. I know too much about how it all works when you have the original master tapes in your possession.
    Is for EPE. Nice try but is 1999 The "That's The Way It Is" Special Edition remix going to be their last project that wowed fans everywhere?

I didn't get to watch the DVD yet but if anyone else got this boxset I would see what you all think of it as well.
    There is Only One Elvis

Re: Review: Prince From Another Planet MSG CDs

Ok so my opinion on the DVD is they made a mistake to have the blank/blackouted sections. They could have either only had the actual footage on the DVD or sourced more footage for the release from other shows at the garden to give an over all view on his shows there.

For example the site http://www.msg1972.com/ or youtube have a fair few videos of his shows at the garden. They could have sourced some of these and cleaned them up and released them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhTcd...=results_video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v2vANl2-LE

The like the release I just think that they could have added more footage after all it is out there. Who knows maybe they tried to but it feel through for what ever reason.

The footage that there is great and excellent quality and i am really pleased they released it offically in this set.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

TCB Mafia

I think there is a big difference in the mix. They've practically eliminated JB's guitar. Makes the entire concert sound lame.

What we have in PFAP is stunning footage of Elvis... I can't stop watching it!

For years I've wondered how Elvis performed at the garden with only insignificant footage available on youtube.But the Don Lance footage is fantastic a revelation!! Elvis looks fabulous in his powder blue jumpsuit - arguably the best outfit of the engagement. The Elvis touring juggernaut was at full-steam - and here we see him hitting his stride with physically commanding performances - 'Prince From Another Planet' - yeah baby!!

I think it captures Elvis at his mid-seventies zenith - stage honed it's shows the King on his throne displaying the dynamic showmanship that made the legend...

Watch him stand back so nonchalant cool at 'That's All Right's' conclusion before the final guitar thrust...the playful guitar turn - Elvis' guitar throw to Charlie - and glimpses of his gold bling cape.

It seems Don aimed his camera just at the righ moments: "Polk Salad Annie's" wonderful dynamic ending... 'Hound Dog's' drama and spectacle...Elvis carved from stone, a God poised, and the songs finale, a nod to his army years.

However, whirling dervish style it's 'Suspicious Minds' where he winds up the tension, finally unleashed in a stunning karate showcase finish that's jaw-droppingly sen-sa-tional.

Ernst was open mouthed when he watched it for the first time and I'm not surprised - the ephinous revelations of the king on his throne playing to the adoring masses at MSG -- brilliant!!
    Last edited by my boy; 12-01-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by my boy View Post
    What we have in PFAP is stunning footage of Elvis... I can't stop watching it!

For years I've wondered how Elvis performed at the garden with only insignificant footage available on youtube.But the Don Lance footage is fantastic –– a revelation!! Elvis looks fabulous in his powder blue jumpsuit - arguably the best outfit of the engagement. The Elvis touring juggernaut was at full-steam - and here we see him hitting his stride with physically commanding performances - 'Prince From Another Planet' - yeah baby!!

Watch him stand back so nonchalant cool at 'That's All Right's' conclusion before the final guitar thrust...the playful guitar turn - Elvis' guitar throw to Charlie - and glimpses of his gold bling cape.

It seems Don aimed his camera just at the righ moments: "Polk Salad Annie's" wonderful dynamic ending... 'Hound Dog's' drama and spectacle...Elvis carved from stone, a God poised, and the songs finale, a nod to his army years.

However, whirling dervish style it's 'Suspicious Minds' where he winds up the tension, finally unleashed in a stunning karate showcase finish that's jaw-droppingly sen-sa-tional.

Ernst was open mouthed when he watched it for the first time and I'm not surprised - the ephinous revelations of the king on his throne playing to the adoring masses at MSG -- brilliant!!(y)
    Like your review a lot my boy, I think this release is superb and when I first watched the footage I couldn't stop smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    Like your review a lot my boy, I think this release is superb and when I first watched the footage I couldn't stop smiling.
    Me too. Fantastic footage –– glad you liked mini review

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS_ View Post
    Hi, just got the new Box set The Madison Square Garden "remixed" audio's LP & CD's, "Like A Prince From Another Planet"
    Likes & Dislikes

The Artwork, photos,
    Booklet
    Like that the 1972 Album is a bit punchier, it needed a little boost.
    Having both CD's on one boxset and a cool one at that.

Dislikes:
    I don't care who's name is on the remixing credits, the two CD's were just boosted up to match today's technology, that's all. I don't hear a big difference in the mix. Just a little here and there.
    I said I liked it Punchier but to be honest I could have done that myself.

Overall:
    It would be interesting to hear these soundboard recordings in the "Raw".
    I loved the original audios as much as I do this new box set version.

I'm a big fan of the 1972 MSG LP so I just had to have this set.

Overall I'm Happy but think they could have done a lot more. I know too much about how it all works when you have the original master tapes in your possession.
    Is for EPE. Nice try but is 1999 The "That's The Way It Is" Special Edition remix going to be their last project that wowed fans everywhere?I didn't get to watch the DVD yet but if anyone else got this boxset I would see what you all think of it as well.
    I appreciate your review of PFAP=nice job.....the comment regarding EPE is slightly unfair-EPE was not in charge of PFAP...Sony owns all the masters, soundboards and they decide what to release and how to release it. EPE is consulted, they react to what Sony does...but have no sayso. So a thumbs down to EPE for this project is misguided-it should be to Sony.
    The TTWII SE also was not EPE-it was Turner who did the total overhaul of TTWII the movie EPE does not own the movies...once again they react to what is being done by others ...are consulted but have no sayso. The cd box set for TTWII was done by the record company.
    EPE just has no real leverage against those who own outright the music and films.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    I think there is a big difference in the mix. They've practically eliminated JB's guitar. Makes the entire concert sound lame.
    I haven't got the chance to check it yet, but hey, if that its true, that's like a capital sin!!!! James Burton guitar ought to be loud and in front, its essential to Elvis 70's sound. They really haven't got a clue if this is true!

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    I haven't got the chance to check it yet, but hey, if that its true, that's like a capital sin!!!! James Burton guitar ought to be loud and in front, its essential to Elvis 70's sound. They really haven't got a clue if this is true!
    It could be a tad louder but overall the sound is good - well balanced!

Yep, no complaints from me although the afternoon show doesn't sound as good as the evening in my opinion. Either way, it's a fantastic release for the price.

Recieved mine today, the outer packaging is seductive, no question, but inside it's a different matter altogether. The three discs are housed within a flimsy tri-fold out card which has been so poorly designed that they barely fit inside making it a struggle to remove them. As a result it will only be a matter of time before the card sleeves tear or the discs get scratched by this process. Very disappointing.
    The informative booklet is complete with great pictures. The re-mastered sound has produced a genuine improvement in clarity that is definately noticable even to the untrained ear. The Madison Square Garden experience was an event, a peak in a career of a solo star that has no equal.
    If there is a weakness, the gaps in the 8mm fan footage could have been better filled in, but we are really lucky to have the footage considering the concerts were not professionally filmed. A complete visual of "That's All Right" is a treasure, as is the concluding footage of "Suspicious Minds".

I think we all got super excited when we heard it was to be remixed, a hard job for this guy to please hard core fans ?

Well hope you're right my friend! I'll share my thoughts on that as soon as I get my hands on it.

TCB Mafia

Maybe I shouldn't have said "lame". More like tame. The original and subsequent releases had JB's guitar right up front without pushing anything to the background. It really drove the concert and, along with the wild crowd, gave the performance a real rock and roll feel. That is missing with this release. Even on the solo's, it sounds like his guitar is in the background.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "lame". More like tame. The original and subsequent releases had JB's guitar right up front without pushing anything to the background. It really drove the concert and, along with the wild crowd, gave the performance a real rock and roll feel. That is missing with this release. Even on the solo's, it sounds like his guitar is in the background.
    That might be the problem of today's digital mixing techniques... If you bring something up, and want a specific instrument to be more up front, it will effect all the other instruments during the mastering process. I really regret JB's guitar, but on the other hand I get goosebumps from the heavy, deep electric buzz of the bass trombone in That's All Right intro/opening vamp... That wasn't accented in the original release while I think it really has an awsome and powerful effect.
    Poke a little sock salad...

Quote Originally Posted by mozzarella View Post
    That might be the problem of today's digital mixing techniques... If you bring something up, and want a specific instrument to be more up front, it will effect all the other instruments during the mastering process. I really regret JB's guitar, but on the other hand I get goosebumps from the heavy, deep electric buzz of the bass trombone in That's All Right intro/opening vamp... That wasn't accented in the original release while I think it really has an awsome and powerful effect.
    I had not noticed it but yes, it's fantastic!

I think all of you in some way have a point in what you are saying about this new release.

I listened to both cd's, and I hear some diffrences, of course. The original evening show was put to record on very short notice back in 72. When I first bought it somewhat later I thought it was awesome.

And yes, later of course, the sound on that album wasn't as good after all.

This new release spices it up a little, and makes it somewhat clearer then before.

The afternoon show, I think I prefer the previous Afternoon In The Garden Release over this new one. I still hear that guitar good enough, but I like the original mix better, maybe a matter of taste. Or, it might depend on what you listened to first, this one, or the original.

The dvd is cool. The documentary is for sure a nice addition. And cool to have some the of live footage inserted inbetween

They could have done better with the live footage. The black spots, inbetween the footage. Why not have pictures there, or something like that?

Now we keep skipping to where is elvis...

All in all I say, a very good package, very nice book to go with it. However on package, I would think, why not make it like it like an FTD release. Because the discs are really cramped inside the package.

Nevertheless, worth every penny, two great shows, and a fine dvd, with also the press conference (still not complete) but still...

Just played the afternoon show again - Wow! Elvis voice is immense... The best Elvis release for years

Really/ On my version I can hear James' picking clearer than on An Afternoon In The Garden. Elvis' voice was lowered in the new mix to allow for the instrumentation to be heard better. I was disappointed in how they mixed down Ronnie Tutt's drums and made them sound distant. But I think the drums were poorly mixed on the original master tape from Jon Deary's work and not Bauer's remix attempt. Other than that I thought it sounded great.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Still I have not seen one copy in any major department store and today is December 9th?
    IF Sony is looking to make a huge profit-it is going about it in a funny way.
    I did see a large box set in Walmart called "Elvis in the Movies" it had several soundtrack albums combined for $19.88
    I also saw several $5 dollar cds Elvis Unplugged.......Elvis Inspirational....Elvis Country.....Elvis Viva Las Vegas......Elvis Love Songs.....An Afternoon in the Garden.....but not one copy of PFAP.
    There are 3 Walmarts within 50 miles-one is a superstore and none have PFAP.
    Strange way to rack up sales on a new release.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Really/ On my version I can hear James' picking clearer than on An Afternoon In The Garden. Elvis' voice was lowered in the new mix to allow for the instrumentation to be heard better. I was disappointed in how they mixed down Ronnie Tutt's drums and made them sound distant. But I think the drums were poorly mixed on the original master tape from Jon Deary's work and not Bauer's remix attempt. Other than that I thought it sounded great.
    According to Elvis Info Net audio engineer Dennis Ferrante mixed the Afternoon show-not Ms Deary.
    .......There is however not a huge variation in the mix - but then again 'Afternoon' was one of audio engineer Dennis Ferrante's best audio mixes efforts and pi**ed over the dull, rushed original Evening show release......
    Work in Progress!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast