Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idea about the Elvis tv series in the works by Core/EPE

Idea about the Elvis tv series in the works by Core/EPE

You guys remember back in June when Core Media Group announced their plans for Elvis and among them was a TV series? Well, I'm wondering if it'll be a documentary series and not a biopic series like the old Elvis series that aired back in the 90's on ABC? I've been watching the History Channel's amazing series The Men Who Built America and it's fascinating! It's a re-enactment documentary weekly episode about Tomas Edison, Rockefeller and others who created the luxuries we have today, such as electricity and gasoline. So I got to thinking, this would be a wise move by Core and EPE to do a recreational learning documentary that examines the Elvis story beyond the Hollywood version. The Elvis series could be done in a seasonal running like Men Who Built America. About 10 1-hour episodes a season running for around 12 weeks (three months), 1 season a year. Each season surrounding a different period of Elvis' life using footage of Elvis and recreations like in This Is Elvis. Here's an example.

Season 1 - the 30's to the early 50's
    Season 2 - the Army years to the mid 60's
    Season 3 - the late 60's to the comeback
    Season 4 - the 70's to the present

In this day and time, American TV is based around reality shows. History Channel is developing more and more reality-based shows around historical importance. And Elvis is a historical figure.

Btw, in case you did not know, Core Media now owns the Biography Channel. Coincidence?
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia

Re: Idea about the Elvis tv series in the works by Core/EPE

Apparently I didn't hear of these plans when they were announced because i've heard nothing about a new television series.

I wouldn't get ahead of yourself about what Core Media group should do because they likely won't do what you are suggesting.

A weekly Elvis television series could work nowadays because of the original shows that are airing on cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Apparently I didn't hear of these plans when they were announced because i've heard nothing about a new television series.

I wouldn't get ahead of yourself about what Core Media group should do because they likely won't do what you are suggesting.

A weekly Elvis television series could work nowadays because of the original shows that are airing on cable.
    It's mentioned here. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...evamp-20120531

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    You guys remember back in June when Core Media Group announced their plans for Elvis and among them was a TV series? Well, I'm wondering if it'll be a documentary series and not a biopic series like the old Elvis series that aired back in the 90's on ABC? I've been watching the History Channel's amazing series The Men Who Built America and it's fascinating! It's a re-enactment documentary weekly episode about Tomas Edison, Rockefeller and others who created the luxuries we have today, such as electricity and gasoline. So I got to thinking, this would be a wise move by Core and EPE to do a recreational learning documentary that examines the Elvis story beyond the Hollywood version. The Elvis series could be done in a seasonal running like Men Who Built America. About 10 1-hour episodes a season running for around 12 weeks (three months), 1 season a year. Each season surrounding a different period of Elvis' life using footage of Elvis and recreations like in This Is Elvis. Here's an example.

Season 1 - the 30's to the early 50's
    Season 2 - the Army years to the mid 60's
    Season 3 - the late 60's to the comeback
    Season 4 - the 70's to the present

In this day and time, American TV is based around reality shows. History Channel is developing more and more reality-based shows around historical importance. And Elvis is a historical figure.

Btw, in case you did not know, Core Media now owns the Biography Channel. Coincidence?
    Boy that is a great documentary. I have really enjoyed it too.

I like your idea, it would be neat to see Elvis in a series like that.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    Boy that is a great documentary. I have really enjoyed it too.

I like your idea, it would be neat to see Elvis in a series like that.
    Yes it is and I agree with you! EPE has for years talked about doing a dream documentary. Well, here's their chance.

it would be awesome I agree Viva.......is it likely though?
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Well its still along way from reality-even in the press release you posted the link to-it is not set in stone (they also mention how the virtual Elvis is in the works and we all have seen that seems to have ground to a halt after filing of bankruptcy by the company set to do it)

........CKx, which will change its name to Core Media Group, has especially big plans in store for Presley: an upgrade of the Graceland museum is in the works, as well as a possible drama series based on the singer's early lifeRead more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz2CPoqDAPd
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Well its still along way from reality-even in the press release you posted the link to-it is not set in stone (they also mention how the virtual Elvis is in the works and we all have seen that seems to have ground to a halt after filing of bankruptcy by the company set to do it)

........CKx, which will change its name to Core Media Group, has especially big plans in store for Presley: an upgrade of the Graceland museum is in the works, as well as a possible drama series based on the singer's early lifeRead more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz2CPoqDAPd
    That's why I put "in the works" in the thread title. It's a possibility that is being considered. The virtual Elvis thing isn't dead. Lucas Film company is now said to be looking into buying up Digital Domain's property. Just to throw this out there, George Lucas is a big Elvis fan. Han Solo's character from Star Wars was influenced by Elvis.

TCB Mafia

That's why I put "in the works" in the thread title. It's a possibility that is being considered. The virtual Elvis thing isn't dead. Lucas Film company is now said to be looking into buying up Digital Domain's property. Just to throw this out there, George Lucas is a big Elvis fan. Han Solo's character from Star Wars was influenced by Elvis.
    Disney bought Lucas films a couple weeks ago.

George Lucas being a big Elvis fan i can't see having any bearing now that he sold to Disney.

2. Where exactly did you hear or read that Elvis influenced the Han Solo character.
    Last edited by Brian; 11-16-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Well it's funny you mentioned that, because that image of Elvis (Warhols one) is an image copied for Star Wars (Hans Solo). Well that's what I've always thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    Well it's funny you mentioned that, because that image of Elvis (Warhols one) is an image copied for Star Wars (Hans Solo). Well that's what I've always thought.
    You thought right. Lucas, while doing the upgraded version of Star Wars back years ago made a comment about how he saw the rebellious Elvis Presley and came up with Han Solo's character.

You thought right. Lucas, while doing the upgraded version of Star Wars back years ago made a comment about how he saw the rebellious Elvis Presley and came up with Han Solo's character.
    A few months ago I saw some stencil grafitti that I thought was Elvis (again the Warhol image), it was on the side of an air pump in the local garage and I was across the road, but when I drove over there it was only Han Solo

In a galaxy far far away Han Solo is rocking out to Elvis.

Im sorry but im tired of bloody cheap tv series about Elvis . When oh when are we going to get a proper big budget quality cinema release like Ray ( Ray Charles ) , Walk The Line ( Johnny Cash ) , The Doors , Great Balls Of Fire ( Jerry Lee Lewis ) , The Glenn Miller Story , The Al Jolson Story , Whats Love Got To Do With It ( Tina Turner ) , Coalminers Daughter ( Loretta Lynn ), La Bamba ( Richie Valens ) . The Buddy Holly Story , Beyond The Sea ( Bobby Darin ) , Lady Sings The Blues ( Billie Holiday ) or Bird ( Charlie Parker ) . It is no exaggeration to say Elvis outsold all of these artists combined and lets be honest about it the amount of time Jerry Lee Lewis , Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens spent at the the top if you had blinked you would have missed it . We are talking months . The Doors , Bobby Darin and Glenn Miller only lasted a few years and yet they all warranted a major movie . It truly infuriates me that all we get is one cheap mini series or tv movie after another with terrible tacky make up for the older Elvis , with his weight so exaggerated ( ie Me & Elvis , Elvis & The Col ) and terrible cheap crappy jumpsuits ( again Elvis & The Col or Elvis And The Beauty Queen ) . I dont care if i never see another tv series or tv movie again . None of them have done him justice apart from Elvis The Movie with Kurt Russell . I know there is talk of the one about his meeting with Nixon but that is not a true movie about him . I will never understand how the biggest selling , most successful and widely loved entertainer in history does not warrant a serious dramatic study and Richie Valens with 3 hits and a 12 month career does . God it makes me mad .

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by poor boy View Post
    Im sorry but im tired of bloody cheap tv series about Elvis . When oh when are we going to get a proper big budget quality cinema release like Ray ( Ray Charles ) , Walk The Line ( Johnny Cash ) , The Doors , Great Balls Of Fire ( Jerry Lee Lewis ) , The Glenn Miller Story , The Al Jolson Story , Whats Love Got To Do With It ( Tina Turner ) , Coalminers Daughter ( Loretta Lynn ), La Bamba ( Richie Valens ) . The Buddy Holly Story , Beyond The Sea ( Bobby Darin ) , Lady Sings The Blues ( Billie Holiday ) or Bird ( Charlie Parker ) . It is no exaggeration to say Elvis outsold all of these artists combined and lets be honest about it the amount of time Jerry Lee Lewis , Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens spent at the the top if you had blinked you would have missed it . We are talking months . The Doors , Bobby Darin and Glenn Miller only lasted a few years and yet they all warranted a major movie .
    Not everyone gets a big screen movie made about them.

Marilyn Monroe and James Dean got television movies just like Elvis has.

To my knowledge John Wayne has never had a movie made about him and the Beatles have only had one television movie as well.

After Elvis died Dick Clark and others rushed television movies into production instead of waiting for someone to make a big screen version.

A television series is different thing altogether and with the popularity and quality of all the original series on cable a weekly series about Elvis wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

But it's just an idea at this point.

Not everyone gets a big screen movie made about them.

Marilyn Monroe and James Dean got television movies just like Elvis has.

To my knowledge John Wayne has never had a movie made about him and the Beatles have only had one television movie as well.

After Elvis died Dick Clark and others rushed television movies into production instead of waiting for someone to make a big screen version.

A television series is different thing altogether and with the popularity and quality of all the original series on cable a weekly series about Elvis wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

But it's just an idea at this point.

I dont think Marilyn Monroe , James Dean or John Wayne caused such a cultural change or had such a direct impact on society as Elvis nor for that matter did any of the artists who i mentioned had films made about them . I think Elvis long and dramatic career has much more dramatic potential than artists whose careers as major stars lasted only a few years and in some of the ones ive mentioned only months . If you can get a major motion picture out of Ritchie Valens career surely you can get one out of Elvis 23 year career . Thats all im saying . As for Dick Clarke and the others that was 30 years ago , i think enough time has passed to make a quality production .

TCB Mafia

I dont think Marilyn Monroe , James Dean or John Wayne caused such a cultural change or had such a direct impact on society as Elvis nor for that matter did any of the artists who i mentioned had films made about them . I think Elvis long and dramatic career has much more dramatic potential than artists whose careers as major stars lasted only a few years and in some of the ones ive mentioned only months . If you can get a major motion picture out of Ritchie Valens career surely you can get one out of Elvis 23 year career . Thats all im saying . As for Dick Clarke and the others that was 30 years ago , i think enough time has passed to make a quality production .
    Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, John Wayne and the Beatles were huge iconic stars that are important to popular culture and they never got a movie either that's my point.

The other point i was making is that with Dick Clark and the various television networks producing t.v. movies Elvis' life story became too familiar for a big screen biopic to be feasible.

By that i mean the potential producers that would have made a big screen movie about Elvis feel that a film about him wouldn't be commercially succesful because his life story has already been told so many times.

The people you mention didn't have their lives depicted various times in television movies before they got a big screen movie.

If Dick Clark and the various television networks hadn't of started making television movies in the aftermath of Elvis' death we might have gotten one big screen biopic like Ray Charles and Johnny Cash did by now.

But that's not the way it happened and the ship has sailed on that for Elvis.

If we ever do get another movie it will be an independent film or another t.v. movie.

It is going to be tv it would have to be a channel like AMC, HBO, or Showtime. Those channels have actually shown a lot of artistic integrity and have real quality programming. And hey if George Lucas is not busy now that he sold Lucasfilm maybe he can direct a series.
    Speaking of which do you guys have any personal favorites for who could play Elvis. Okay I am going to put this out there and don't call for my head but if you watch the movie, "Water for Elephants" Robert Pattinson does a great job with Reese Witherspoon and I think he would be fantastic as Elvis. He is in his late twenties so he can play 50's-70's Elvis, he is a musician who writes and plays piano and guitar. He has a shy
    "aw shucks Ma'am" quality about him and he totally gets what it means to be a nobody one day and then overnight have millions of women adoring you. He seems to be a genuinely nice guy and despite the hoopla seems very grounded. A big plus for Elvis would be that whatever Rob is in millions of people will watch so Elvis' legacy could be very well served as long as the material was well done.
    "Music is the voice that tells the human race it is greater than it knows" -Napoleon Bonaparte

Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, John Wayne and the Beatles were huge iconic stars that are important to popular culture and they never got a movie either that's my point.

The other point i was making is that with Dick Clark and the various television networks producing t.v. movies Elvis' life story became too familiar for a big screen biopic to be feasible

By that i mean the potential producers that would have made a big screen movie about Elvis feel that a film about him wouldn't be commercially succesful because his life story has already been told so many times.

The people you mention didn't have their lives depicted various times in television movies before they got a big screen movie.

If Dick Clark and the various television networks hadn't of started making television movies in the aftermath of Elvis' death we might have gotten one big screen biopic like Ray Charles and Johnny Cash did by now.

But that's not the way it happened and the ship has sailed on that for Elvis.

If we ever do get another movie it will be an independent film or another t.v. movie.

I never mentioned The Beatles . They like Elvis actually changed society and thats what i meant . Yes James Dean , Marilyn Monroe and John Wayne were huge icons but they didnt change anything or have a huge impact on society like Elvis and The Beatles .

TCB Mafia

For several years now SONY have intimated that what Elvis needs to get him back in the limelight is a movie release along the lines of the Johnny Cash epic 'I Walk The Line'. I also feel that more documentaries are needed to be produced for TV screening. There is not enough video footage being made available to the general public. The same old stalwarts are brought out year after year around Anniversary times e.g. 'The 68 Special'; 'TTWII' and 'Aloha From Hawaii'. Even the general public must know this footage by heart. EPE and Apollo need to sort this matter out as a matter of urgency. On the record front SONY are still interested in producing a 'Duets' album and this could gain huge publicity with 'hologram type' TV ads (featured on talk shows and live appearances with the artists involved) along the lines of the American Idol production of 'If I Can Dream' with Celine Dion. I am of the opinion that the latter will come about - it's just the timing that is in question. Could be 2013.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Quinn; 11-18-2012 at 06:19 AM.

TCB Mafia

I never mentioned The Beatles . They like Elvis actually changed society and thats what i meant . Yes James Dean , Marilyn Monroe and John Wayne were huge icons but they didnt change anything or have a huge impact on society like Elvis and The Beatles .
    James Dean did have a huge impact on the 1950s.

I mentioned the Beatles as they were part of my point that they never got a movie either.

Jus because you have a huge impact culturally doesn't mean you are anymore likely to get a big screen movie.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast