Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What happened?

What happened?

Hi Mods, what happened to the site? Is everything fine now? Missed this place

Re: What happened?

Me too......even had to 'resort' to asking on FECC if anyone knew what had happened..........lmao
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

What happened ?? what have i missed ? i missed this place, so i stop by to tell you truth, i dont know about you all, or if any of you even care but last night was the first time I cry for the losing candidate of the Presidentials..

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by buttonhead View Post
    What happened ?? what have i missed ? i missed this place, so i stop by to tell you truth, i dont know about you all, or if any of you even care but last night was the first time I cry for the losing candidate of the Presidentials..
    hi buttonhead

The site went down for 4 days (at least for me), none of us are aware why, except maybe the server?

As for the election, I'm from the UK and haven't followed it, except for bits and pieces. Although I've a girl on my facebook feed constantly "fearing for my friends" in the US if Romney got elected. I take it you wanted Romney to win?

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Capitalism died last night. RIP 1776-2012

I didn't sleep last night, I just don't get what people are thinking.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

My friend Capitalism did not die last night.......our country is not static and it changes.
    Let me say to you-I do not like big unproductive government, I want a streamlined efficient government....but how we get to that point is the debate.
    I have paid into SS for 45 years, I saw the biggest increase in SS/Medicare taxes during the Reagan years when he worked with Democratic Speaker Tip O'Neal to strenghten the SS system that had been raided for years by Democrats and Republicans. When Paul Ryan and the Repubs talk of stopping Medicare as we know it-(translation by Newt Gingrich circa 1994 "Kill it on the vine and let it die") that is not fair moral or just.
    To not invest in education for our young people only adds to the problem-how can they compete in a complex job market with no education or skills?
    I am willing to see things cut but prudently, with some compassion and some care-not with a meat cleaver (which then leaves the steak for the rich and the bones for the poor, middle class and elderly)
    When the Repubs speak of continuing the low tax rates on the rich-and they are willing to borrow a couple trillion over 10 years to keep the current rates low....something is wrong.
    Democracy worked, O'Bama won-and even some Republicans who worked for Reagan and Bush say the Republican party has to start rethinking their positions and tactics. The last 2 years since the Republicans took control of the House have been the "least productive" in history. The House has a 15% approval rating as a whole.
    Independants, Democrats and Republicans in poll after poll have shown that they think the Richest 2 % should pay more (exit polling from last nights election once again showed this to be true) yet that is "Off the Table with Boehner" ???
    We have seen the US credit worthiness downgraded......the agency who did this mentioned in their long explanation that the seeming lack of ability to compromise to achieve goals..........was a big factor in the downgrade.
    The economists in the US and the world have all said "added revenues and measured cuts" is the correct way to proceed to tackle the debt and fiscal cliff.
    Ex Republican-Senator Simpson, co-chair of the bipartisan Simpson/Bowles committee to tackle the problems of debt, SS, Medicare etc....agreed whole heartidly that added Revenue and Cuts must be hand in hand to tackle our problems.
    Yet stubbornly the Tea Party has said-no new taxes of any kinds......to the point of saying last year-let the credit rating of the US take a hit, let the problems fester and get worse....we signed a pledge???
    There are many Republicans who are reasonable, who see the writing on the wall and see that the time has come to "Work together" with everyone taking some responsibility to help the nation come up with a plan to avert crisis-fairly to all.

We all have to do our part, we bottom 98% will have to take some cuts-but the upper 2% will have to step up also and the House will have to come to grips with their "Pledges to Grover Norquist"
    This nation will survive so do not lose sleep..... I am not an enemy with you or any Republican because I am a Democrat/Independent......I would bet that 75% of what you want in this country .....I also want-but its the way we get them accomplished that is different.
    It takes a little give and take to make anything work.....otherwise nothing works.
    Sorry this upset you so.
    Work in Progress!

I’m sorry but the government holding everyone’s hand is not the answer to a strong prosperous economy. How many departments do you see that are being ran by the government, either poorly ran or bankrupt. I always believe the private sector will do a better job and add value to the economy. If you look at Medicare and Medicade there is a huge issue with not only the way it is ran but it is also about to go bankrupt. There needs to be a dramatic change to even have these options there in 20 years. When you look at the TSA, that organization would run much better with a private sector. I have always felt and always will tell you that I can handle my money and my future better than ANY government agency.

I don’t know who said they would not invest in education. I know Romney/Ryan did not say they wanted to take money out of the school system. They wanted to hire and train teachers to be able to do a better job. It is also the responsibility of the individual and the parents to see that there child participates at achieving the best education. Romney talked about how he had the best schools in the country as Governor. A lot of politicians on both sides talk about schools so much in their campaigns because of the teacher unions, the libs know how to work that the best.

Of course there needs to be a huge cut in our spending. There was just a book that was written on all of the STUPID things our government spends every year. They spend 90 billion dollars on the worst things possible. I believe that we are in a desperate situation in this country with our debt and deficit. It is time to take some huge spending out of our deficit that may not be the most popular thing to do but I’m telling you it is necessary to do. I will pick on the Big Bird thing for a moment. We spend $400 million dollars on that a year and then PBS turns around and sells all of their DVD’s, Tickle Me Elmo’s ect…and do not pay the tax payers back that $400 million dollars. That is messed up my friend. I could go on forever on spending.

This thing about the rich need to pay their fare-share is totally bogus. You can take everything the 1% has….bank accounts, boats, houses, IRA’s, cars ect..all of their property, everything they own and all of that money would only pay our bills for 9 MONTHS. Now what are you going to do for the other 3 months and for all the upcoming years. You have already taken everything from the rich they have nothing left, now what…..The way our fore-fathers had envisioned this country is everyone has a job and contributes taxes to our cost of running a country. This country in the last 10 or 15 years has decided they would rather let someone else work and sit back and wait on their check to come in the mail. This is why I say capitalism is dead. We also just elected a guy that is the epitome of that mindset.

You say that the republicans have had the house and been the least productive in two years….ok, Obama has not even sent a budget thru in the last 3 years. I can not think of a president that has not even tried to send a budget thru in his first term in office. He also said he would be the most transparent and across the isle president we have ever had. He has made the divide even worse between parties. Obama sent thru his Obama care without even letting anyone know what is inside of the bill, real transparent there. He said he would post online the line by line of the spending and Obamacare, haven’t seen it.

It is true that our currency is much lower than it was before. That is because the government just decides to print more money, which dilutes our current value.

I agree to cut our debt we have to cut spending and everyone NEEDS a job. When more people are working then they pay more taxes which intern will lower our national debt. This is why it is so scary that we have our debt getting higher and higher. You have Ahmadinejad (yes I did look it up to spell it correctly) at the UN telling everyone their will be a New World Order and it wont be the US at number one. He knows with our debt and our president we are in serious trouble.

I hope I didn’t bore to many people. I’m very passionate about this country and I know where we are headed.

RIP Tommy

Unhappy Re: What happened?

I'm really depressed too king of the world and buttonhead, as I lost "more" money and lost a bet on FECC, so I can't post there for 8 weeks!
    No big deal, as the Liberal Democrats on that site are so close minded and arrogant, the break will be nice!! It can be a strange
    world that we live in, for sure!!!!! I just hope that I get some good luck happening with myself, as I'm really having a horrible run
    right now!! It's great that the site is up and running again!!!!!
    Last edited by nolvis; 11-08-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nolvis View Post
    I'm really depressed too king of the world and buttonhead, as I lost "more" money and lost a bet on FECC, so I can't post there for 8 weeks!
    No big deal, as the Liberal Democrats on that site are so close minded and arrogant, the break will be nice!! It can be a strange
    world that we live in, for sure!!!!! I just hope that I get some good luck happening with myself, as I'm really having a horrible run
    right now!! It's great that the site is up and running again!!!!!
    Well I hope you enjoy your sabbatical with us and hope your luck changes for the better.

TCB Mafia

It's the new American way. Fund the deadbeats of this country from good, hard working Americans and their hard earned income. Get used to it.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I’m sorry but the government holding everyone’s hand is not the answer to a strong prosperous economy. How many departments do you see that are being ran by the government, either poorly ran or bankrupt. I always believe the private sector will do a better job and add value to the economy. If you look at Medicare and Medicade there is a huge issue with not only the way it is ran but it is also about to go bankrupt. There needs to be a dramatic change to even have these options there in 20 years. When you look at the TSA, that organization would run much better with a private sector. I have always felt and always will tell you that I can handle my money and my future better than ANY government agency.

I don’t know who said they would not invest in education. I know Romney/Ryan did not say they wanted to take money out of the school system. They wanted to hire and train teachers to be able to do a better job. It is also the responsibility of the individual and the parents to see that there child participates at achieving the best education. Romney talked about how he had the best schools in the country as Governor. A lot of politicians on both sides talk about schools so much in their campaigns because of the teacher unions, the libs know how to work that the best.

Of course there needs to be a huge cut in our spending. There was just a book that was written on all of the STUPID things our government spends every year. They spend 90 billion dollars on the worst things possible. I believe that we are in a desperate situation in this country with our debt and deficit. It is time to take some huge spending out of our deficit that may not be the most popular thing to do but I’m telling you it is necessary to do. I will pick on the Big Bird thing for a moment. We spend $400 million dollars on that a year and then PBS turns around and sells all of their DVD’s, Tickle Me Elmo’s ect…and do not pay the tax payers back that $400 million dollars. That is messed up my friend. I could go on forever on spending.

This thing about the rich need to pay their fare-share is totally bogus. You can take everything the 1% has….bank accounts, boats, houses, IRA’s, cars ect..all of their property, everything they own and all of that money would only pay our bills for 9 MONTHS. Now what are you going to do for the other 3 months and for all the upcoming years. You have already taken everything from the rich they have nothing left, now what…..The way our fore-fathers had envisioned this country is everyone has a job and contributes taxes to our cost of running a country. This country in the last 10 or 15 years has decided they would rather let someone else work and sit back and wait on their check to come in the mail. This is why I say capitalism is dead. We also just elected a guy that is the epitome of that mindset.

You say that the republicans have had the house and been the least productive in two years….ok, Obama has not even sent a budget thru in the last 3 years. I can not think of a president that has not even tried to send a budget thru in his first term in office. He also said he would be the most transparent and across the isle president we have ever had. He has made the divide even worse between parties. Obama sent thru his Obama care without even letting anyone know what is inside of the bill, real transparent there. He said he would post online the line by line of the spending and Obamacare, haven’t seen it.

It is true that our currency is much lower than it was before. That is because the government just decides to print more money, which dilutes our current value.

I agree to cut our debt we have to cut spending and everyone NEEDS a job. When more people are working then they pay more taxes which intern will lower our national debt. This is why it is so scary that we have our debt getting higher and higher. You have Ahmadinejad (yes I did look it up to spell it correctly) at the UN telling everyone their will be a New World Order and it wont be the US at number one. He knows with our debt and our president we are in serious trouble.

I hope I didn’t bore to many people. I’m very passionate about this country and I know where we are headed.
    No this does not bore me at all-you have to speak your mind...as I do.
    Medicare and SS have not just suddenly become a problem-Bush could have tackled those with 6 years of Republican run Congress, they had the votes to do whatever they wanted...they did not tackle it.

No one wants to take everything the rich have-no one has ever said that, but the fact is the Bush tax cuts early in his first term...did not spur huge growth, the majority of the rich did not re-invest in this country, they did not keep jobs in the US.....IF they had we perhaps would not be having this conversation. Twice during his terms Bush said the economy needed stimulis and rebate checks went out to Americans, we borrowed to cut the upper 2%s taxes, we fought 2 wars and did not pay for them with a war tax or fiscal adjustments (even some Republicans did not like this)
    At the end of his 2nd term-seemingly out of the blue-he and his Treasury Secretary began to warn of the coming collapse of the financial markets
    and warned we needed to bail out those markets....this began there...the ball began to roll downhill there.
    Reagan did the same thing-he cut taxes to the wealthiest, raised defense spending to huge limits, did not balance the budget as he promised campaigning, and deregulated-and we had the Savings and Loan scandal and bailout that cost billions. His own budget Director David Stockman said he explained to Reagan in the first year-you can not do these things and not have the debt increase....he said Reagan did not seem to understand the idea of the true budget process. Dick Cheney Bushes VP said in the Bush years-"Reagan proved deficits do not matter" ????
    Well its obvious now they do.
    The problem is IMO that people are not willing to work together...people are so indoctrinated with their own parties views and approach that they think it must be "the one and only way"
    I agree with you people need to be self sufficient, people need to work hard, play fair and do their share....and in 1946 that was easily done.
    You have major manufacturing everywhere across this country-in my town in 46 we had a OlinCorporation with 3000 jobs, steel mill with about 2000, a paper factory with about 2000, a glass factory with 1500, McDonnell Douglas and Ford and Chrysler plants across the river in Missouri-these were good paying jobs with benefits that provided low cost health care and pensions to their workers......those type plants built the middle class and drove this country into the early 70s.
    Today in my town Olin is all thats left and it has about 800 jobs-they have outsourced, they have moved some operations to other cheap labor states or out of the US.
    Did the workers ship their jobs to China, Taiwan, India, Pakistan, Korea, etc.......? No the owners and CEOs did this.
    DId the workers decide that profits should be invested or stockpiled in off shore Tax Havens? No that was not their decision.
    Its easy to campaign and say yes we need good paying jobs, or say people need to work and not wait for checks.....but the jobs have to be there, the investment in plants has to be here in the US......that has not been happening for years and people can not pay taxes without good paying jobs that build the middle class and give poor people a chance.
    Its not the end of capitalism-unless the CEOs keep sending out good jobs overseas and do not invest in US.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    Hi Mods, what happened to the site? Is everything fine now? Missed this place

Hi Jen, I see that everything is fine now.
    Missed you too.
    I'll Remember You!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    No this does not bore me at all-you have to speak your mind...as I do.
    Medicare and SS have not just suddenly become a problem-Bush could have tackled those with 6 years of Republican run Congress, they had the votes to do whatever they wanted...they did not tackle it.

No one wants to take everything the rich have-no one has ever said that, but the fact is the Bush tax cuts early in his first term...did not spur huge growth, the majority of the rich did not re-invest in this country, they did not keep jobs in the US.....IF they had we perhaps would not be having this conversation. Twice during his terms Bush said the economy needed stimulis and rebate checks went out to Americans, we borrowed to cut the upper 2%s taxes, we fought 2 wars and did not pay for them with a war tax or fiscal adjustments (even some Republicans did not like this)
    At the end of his 2nd term-seemingly out of the blue-he and his Treasury Secretary began to warn of the coming collapse of the financial markets
    and warned we needed to bail out those markets....this began there...the ball began to roll downhill there.
    Reagan did the same thing-he cut taxes to the wealthiest, raised defense spending to huge limits, did not balance the budget as he promised campaigning, and deregulated-and we had the Savings and Loan scandal and bailout that cost billions. His own budget Director David Stockman said he explained to Reagan in the first year-you can not do these things and not have the debt increase....he said Reagan did not seem to understand the idea of the true budget process. Dick Cheney Bushes VP said in the Bush years-"Reagan proved deficits do not matter" ????
    Well its obvious now they do.
    The problem is IMO that people are not willing to work together...people are so indoctrinated with their own parties views and approach that they think it must be "the one and only way"
    I agree with you people need to be self sufficient, people need to work hard, play fair and do their share....and in 1946 that was easily done.
    You have major manufacturing everywhere across this country-in my town in 46 we had a OlinCorporation with 3000 jobs, steel mill with about 2000, a paper factory with about 2000, a glass factory with 1500, McDonnell Douglas and Ford and Chrysler plants across the river in Missouri-these were good paying jobs with benefits that provided low cost health care and pensions to their workers......those type plants built the middle class and drove this country into the early 70s.
    Today in my town Olin is all thats left and it has about 800 jobs-they have outsourced, they have moved some operations to other cheap labor states or out of the US.
    Did the workers ship their jobs to China, Taiwan, India, Pakistan, Korea, etc.......? No the owners and CEOs did this.
    DId the workers decide that profits should be invested or stockpiled in off shore Tax Havens? No that was not their decision.
    Its easy to campaign and say yes we need good paying jobs, or say people need to work and not wait for checks.....but the jobs have to be there, the investment in plants has to be here in the US......that has not been happening for years and people can not pay taxes without good paying jobs that build the middle class and give poor people a chance.
    Its not the end of capitalism-unless the CEOs keep sending out good jobs overseas and do not invest in US.
    I agree Ken both parties never want to work together. That is very frustrating to continue to watch year after year. Something that has never made sense to me is that some of these guys go into Congress or State Reps with not much money and then come out as millionaires. I smell something fishy. I think they have the best of intentions when they go into politics but then they fall in love with the power and they lose all direction in their decisions. That is one reason why I was so excited about Romney I do believe he would have worked more with both sides. Obama has continued to show and lead by the example of I’m in charge and I don’t want to talk to you or listen to your ideas.

Now in 1946 times were totally different. I would love to buy more products from the great ol’ USA but with regulations and taxes on these companies they are forced to go overseas. Yes it is not the workers fault that companies have made the move to overseas but it is the government control that started and continues to keep this movement. Back in 46, the unions were just starting and taxes, regulations were not near as destructive as today. Jobs will comeback if the government would let these companies run their business the way they need to, as I have said before the government will screw more things up than a private sector. You have to make it easier and productive for businesses to invest their money here, which means you can’t tax these guys to death. Otherwise it will always be to move their money overseas and I don’t blame them one bit.

Now when you look at today’s issues with jobs keeping people employed there is nothing that will destroy small business more than this Obamacare. You can already see the effects and it is not even employed yet. I’m sure you have heard that the company that owns Longhorns, Red Lobster and Olive Garden will begin cutting people in each location back to part-time employees so they don’t have to pay this healthcare. They are even cutting back on the amount of employees from each store. I personally do work with two people that have told me they have extreme measures. One of my customers has just over 50 employees and he fired the 3 or 4 people the day after the election. I can let you guess who he fired as they voted a certain way this election. He said I can’t afford to pay for Obamacare. The next person has a larger company with just under 500 people and he says he will be getting with his accountants to decide how to go about cutting back on the number of employees. I’m telling you this will be happening more and more around the country. This will kill the economy. As I have said before the economy is run on people like me that own small businesses, 90% of the economy.

I know a lot of people that would tell you some of the best economic times we had were during the Regan years. I can’t give you first hand on that because I was about 5 or 6 years old. Ha ha. Not to make you feel old. But a lot of the things I have read say he knew how to create jobs and kept the economy strong.

RIP Tommy

I agree Ken both parties never want to work together. That is very frustrating to continue to watch year after year. Something that has never made sense to me is that some of these guys go into Congress or State Reps with not much money and then come out as millionaires. I smell something fishy. I think they have the best of intentions when they go into politics but then they fall in love with the power and they lose all direction in their decisions. That is one reason why I was so excited about Romney I do believe he would have worked more with both sides. Obama has continued to show and lead by the example of I’m in charge and I don’t want to talk to you or listen to your ideas.

Now in 1946 times were totally different. I would love to buy more products from the great ol’ USA but with regulations and taxes on these companies they are forced to go overseas. Yes it is not the workers fault that companies have made the move to overseas but it is the government control that started and continues to keep this movement. Back in 46, the unions were just starting and taxes, regulations were not near as destructive as today. Jobs will comeback if the government would let these companies run their business the way they need to, as I have said before the government will screw more things up than a private sector. You have to make it easier and productive for businesses to invest their money here, which means you can’t tax these guys to death. Otherwise it will always be to move their money overseas and I don’t blame them one bit.

Now when you look at today’s issues with jobs keeping people employed there is nothing that will destroy small business more than this Obamacare. You can already see the effects and it is not even employed yet. I’m sure you have heard that the company that owns Longhorns, Red Lobster and Olive Garden will begin cutting people in each location back to part-time employees so they don’t have to pay this healthcare. They are even cutting back on the amount of employees from each store. I personally do work with two people that have told me they have extreme measures. One of my customers has just over 50 employees and he fired the 3 or 4 people the day after the election. I can let you guess who he fired as they voted a certain way this election. He said I can’t afford to pay for Obamacare. The next person has a larger company with just under 500 people and he says he will be getting with his accountants to decide how to go about cutting back on the number of employees. I’m telling you this will be happening more and more around the country. This will kill the economy. As I have said before the economy is run on people like me that own small businesses, 90% of the economy.

I know a lot of people that would tell you some of the best economic times we had were during the Regan years. I can’t give you first hand on that because I was about 5 or 6 years old. Ha ha. Not to make you feel old. But a lot of the things I have read say he knew how to create jobs and kept the economy strong.
    I went thru the Reagan years-one of the best jobs I ever had was during those years, and that business closed its doors on April 30th, 1988...with 1months notice (which was all that business's were required to give under the deregulation years of Reagan) The Steel Mill closed during Reagans years as did he glass factory, the boxboard factory closed in Papa Bush's presidency before Clinton.
    I understand your concern about regulations which can be unnecessary-but if you explore the history of business in the US and World you will see that many times business brings it upon itself...Child labor regulations did not come about in the 40s because some government bureaucrat decided they wanted to run industry-it came about because the nature of business is when unregulated in anyway..... they repeatidly cross the lines in the name of profit with no remorse, no compassion, nor concern for the nation.
    Labor laws, that you and I enjoy protections from today, are a result of business in the 30s and 40s repeatidly across the board of industry, abusing their workers in ways that today would seem not possible in the USA.
    Same with deceptive practices in advertising, improper use of chemicals in producing food products, unclean conditions in food producing plants, slaughter houses for cattle that were diseases waiting to be spread, pollution of water in the water table around plants that just dumped their sewage and plant waste into the ground or local streams, plants that did not filter in any way shape or form the vented chemical laden air that permeated the areas they were near......on and on and on.
    I live near major refineries in Wood River Ill and Roxana Ill-that have been there in one company name or another since the 30s and no matter who has run and owned them they have provided good jobs to the citizens here-but have also been caught polluting water and air numerous times in the last 70 years.....even after regulations were written and in place....people in the area constantly complain of gas smells in their basements, grass that does not grow well, worries about home gardening and the foods tainted from oil, gas and chemicals.
    I understand over-regulation is not good-but some people think we should have NO regulations of any kind....
    Regulations which much looser during Reagan, and both Bushes-still manufacturing jobs were shipped overseas....what grew during the Reagan years was the Service Industry and Wall Street. There was a movie that showed how money was made in the 80s and how billionaires played the game of high finance called "Other Peoples Money" had Danny Devito and Gregory Peck and it is the epitome of how the economy was kept rolling...not by creating anything or producing goods but by buying and selling of land, industries and stocks. I recommend it to give one view of the Reagan years if you have not lived thru those times.
    Let me give an example of citizens who can not be pleased-during this horrific hurricaine on the east coast O'bama called Fema and other government agencies and said-he wanted reponses quickly and he wanted the red tape cut for citizens, state and local governments to get hep quick....Republican Gov. Christie of New Jersey thanked the President for his immediate action to help the east coast and New Jersey.....now lets fast forward a year when reports of people abusing the "lack of redtape" and we hear of people who get aid that should not have, or waste in the relief effort, or some other misaction because of he desire to help quickly with "no redtape" and the same people who praised O'bama will then say "see how wasteful and inefficient the government can be" look at the millions wasted????
    But you and I have many things we can agree upon-such as
    more people need to be working who just coast,
    people on SSI and disability need to be reviewed when the disability is alcohol, drug, or mental illness related,
    Every program needs to be reviewed for efficiency and for outcome for citizens.... positive or negative
    we need to be harder on crime,
    we need to be harder on drug use
    we need to see parents raising children and being involved more
    politicians need to listen, not just to a few or their backers but to all Americans.
    politicians need to try and find "middle ground" so that we do not see these stalemates that have led to where we are today.
    No one can have everything their way-its not possible in any area of life and the sooned some in Congress grasp that idea, the better it will be for us all IMO
    And of course we agree that Elvis is the King!
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I went thru the Reagan years-one of the best jobs I ever had was during those years, and that business closed its doors on April 30th, 1988...with 1months notice (which was all that business's were required to give under the deregulation years of Reagan) The Steel Mill closed during Reagans years as did he glass factory, the boxboard factory closed in Papa Bush's presidency before Clinton.
    I understand your concern about regulations which can be unnecessary-but if you explore the history of business in the US and World you will see that many times business brings it upon itself...Child labor regulations did not come about in the 40s because some government bureaucrat decided they wanted to run industry-it came about because the nature of business is when unregulated in anyway..... they repeatidly cross the lines in the name of profit with no remorse, no compassion, nor concern for the nation.
    Labor laws, that you and I enjoy protections from today, are a result of business in the 30s and 40s repeatidly across the board of industry, abusing their workers in ways that today would seem not possible in the USA.
    Same with deceptive practices in advertising, improper use of chemicals in producing food products, unclean conditions in food producing plants, slaughter houses for cattle that were diseases waiting to be spread, pollution of water in the water table around plants that just dumped their sewage and plant waste into the ground or local streams, plants that did not filter in any way shape or form the vented chemical laden air that permeated the areas they were near......on and on and on.
    I live near major refineries in Wood River Ill and Roxana Ill-that have been there in one company name or another since the 30s and no matter who has run and owned them they have provided good jobs to the citizens here-but have also been caught polluting water and air numerous times in the last 70 years.....even after regulations were written and in place....people in the area constantly complain of gas smells in their basements, grass that does not grow well, worries about home gardening and the foods tainted from oil, gas and chemicals.
    I understand over-regulation is not good-but some people think we should have NO regulations of any kind....
    Regulations which much looser during Reagan, and both Bushes-still manufacturing jobs were shipped overseas....what grew during the Reagan years was the Service Industry and Wall Street. There was a movie that showed how money was made in the 80s and how billionaires played the game of high finance called "Other Peoples Money" had Danny Devito and Gregory Peck and it is the epitome of how the economy was kept rolling...not by creating anything or producing goods but by buying and selling of land, industries and stocks. I recommend it to give one view of the Reagan years if you have not lived thru those times.
    Let me give an example of citizens who can not be pleased-during this horrific hurricaine on the east coast O'bama called Fema and other government agencies and said-he wanted reponses quickly and he wanted the red tape cut for citizens, state and local governments to get hep quick....Republican Gov. Christie of New Jersey thanked the President for his immediate action to help the east coast and New Jersey.....now lets fast forward a year when reports of people abusing the "lack of redtape" and we hear of people who get aid that should not have, or waste in the relief effort, or some other misaction because of he desire to help quickly with "no redtape" and the same people who praised O'bama will then say "see how wasteful and inefficient the government can be" look at the millions wasted????
    But you and I have many things we can agree upon-such as
    more people need to be working who just coast,
    people on SSI and disability need to be reviewed when the disability is alcohol, drug, or mental illness related,
    Every program needs to be reviewed for efficiency and for outcome for citizens.... positive or negative
    we need to be harder on crime,
    we need to be harder on drug use
    we need to see parents raising children and being involved more
    politicians need to listen, not just to a few or their backers but to all Americans.
    politicians need to try and find "middle ground" so that we do not see these stalemates that have led to where we are today.
    No one can have everything their way-its not possible in any area of life and the sooned some in Congress grasp that idea, the better it will be for us all IMO
    And of course we agree that Elvis is the King!
    Yes I agree that there has to be some regulations on companies. If you didn’t products like food and workers safety would be out the window. I just think there needs to be a minimum in what the government has to say in how you run your business. More of my concern is on the high tax rates on business. That is what is pushing more and more jobs out of the USA.

Let me say first I do feel terrible for the people that were hit with the storm on the east coast. I cannot imagine losing everything that you own and having to restart in life. To lose things that is so personal like pictures.

But, I do believe that what Chris Christie did wrapping his arms around Obama will come back to hurt him during his re-election as Governor and possible candidate for President. It did mine for President. Obama was there just for publicity. All Obama needed to do was sign the check to pay for everything. You had Bloomberg who told Obama don’t come, I don’t need you here. I hate when Presidents just want to get their name in the lights. Let the local level handle it and they will call you if they need you. What I would like to know where was Obama when our Ambassador and 3 other Americans were being killed and calling for help for hours on end. Oh that’s right he was flying to a fundraiser in Vegas.

What also kills me is they DID remove a lot of the red-tape to get gas and supplies into New Jersey but why’s that a bad thing to do all the time but ok for a short period. That is a perfect example how all of the red-tape gets in the way of allowing each state to mandate themselves. That is why I agree with removing all of these government held down processes.

You also had the Alabama power companies trying to come up and help get the power back on for people but they were turned away by the unions. Thanks for coming…..

Yes I agree that no one can have it just there way. That is why our founding fathers created two parties, so that we can come to a meeting of the minds. I would love to see this happen a lot more than it does. Just like you and I are discussing these issues, people can have two different ideas and just maybe meet somewhere in the middle.

And yes I LOVE THE KING!!!!

RIP Tommy

Yes I agree that there has to be some regulations on companies. If you didn’t products like food and workers safety would be out the window. I just think there needs to be a minimum in what the government has to say in how you run your business. More of my concern is on the high tax rates on business. That is what is pushing more and more jobs out of the USA.

Let me say first I do feel terrible for the people that were hit with the storm on the east coast. I cannot imagine losing everything that you own and having to restart in life. To lose things that is so personal like pictures.

But, I do believe that what Chris Christie did wrapping his arms around Obama will come back to hurt him during his re-election as Governor and possible candidate for President. It did mine for President. Obama was there just for publicity. All Obama needed to do was sign the check to pay for everything. You had Bloomberg who told Obama don’t come, I don’t need you here. I hate when Presidents just want to get their name in the lights. Let the local level handle it and they will call you if they need you. What I would like to know where was Obama when our Ambassador and 3 other Americans were being killed and calling for help for hours on end. Oh that’s right he was flying to a fundraiser in Vegas.

What also kills me is they DID remove a lot of the red-tape to get gas and supplies into New Jersey but why’s that a bad thing to do all the time but ok for a short period. That is a perfect example how all of the red-tape gets in the way of allowing each state to mandate themselves. That is why I agree with removing all of these government held down processes.

You also had the Alabama power companies trying to come up and help get the power back on for people but they were turned away by the unions. Thanks for coming…..

Yes I agree that no one can have it just there way. That is why our founding fathers created two parties, so that we can come to a meeting of the minds. I would love to see this happen a lot more than it does. Just like you and I are discussing these issues, people can have two different ideas and just maybe meet somewhere in the middle.

And yes I LOVE THE KING!!!!
    Every President goes to the disaster sights, its expected... Clinton, Bush, Reagan, all in the modern era go to disasters and survey the damage...now lets look at the flipside if they did not go....they are critisized for not visiting...(you know this is true)
    As far as Bloomburg-he endorsed O'bama over Romney... so he must have not been to put off by his visit.
    The President (Repub or Dem) is not omnipotent-they can not foresee the future... they all are caught off guard or they have miscommunications in the line of command...when did Bush read the CIA briefing Memo which was entitled something like "Terrorist could Use Planes as weapons"
    and it warned of something big coming which could involve jets as weapons.
    Bush was on vacation at his Texas ranch when it was sent to him in August 2001.
    I know this because I watched the hearings on C-Span at night after work into the "breakdown of communications" between the White House, CIA and FBI after 9-11
    (Bush could not recall the memo)
    I wish things like this did not happen, I wish Bush, O'bama, Clinton Reagan all got it absolutely correct all the time-no one does.
    Let me give you my philosophy about our country in a nutshell-neither party is blameless in this mess....both play games, both "payback" the other when they get power....instead of actually trying to achieve things for the people.
    They have turned their parties into-parodys...Republicans are suppose to always favor the rich, always want to cut taxes, always dislike programs that help kids, the poor, disabled, and elderly.
    Now I have friends who are Republican and the funny thing is-they are not 100% like that....they have kids, they have poor relatives & disabled relatives and elderly parents. They do want the government to do things which help-not hurt their families.....Republicans have to send their kids to college, their parents depend upon SS and Medicare, they depend on Meals on Wheels, or Home Health care that keeps their parents out of nursing homes..
    Democrats are even more harshly viewed by others-far far right conservatives will not even let us be AMERICANS-we are Socialists, Commies, Liberal A**holes etc....we are suppose to be in league with the devil, we want to give away the store, we want to tax the rich unnecessarily and punish those who succeed by figuring away to get their money......we want to Christ out of Christmas (and I am a born again Christian) we support the ACLU who protect wrongdoers, socialists and all mode of evil people, we hug trees, we never saw a law or regulation we did not like.
    Stereotypes that only really reflect the far far sides of each party (and for the record the founding fathers did not create the 2 parties that has come about on its own)
    I do not want Christ out of Christmas, but do see how other religions can be offended by it-the Constitution does not give Christianity a step above all other faiths (even though our founding fathers were Chrisitians) so I see where Hindu Americans, Muslims, Athiests etc have been rubbed wrong when Christian symbols end up in Government offices.
    I do not think every law or regulation is good, but see the reason so many things end up with regulations-because someone tries to either take advantage of someone else, or do something which impacts the community in a negative harmful way.
    The one true thing in anything in life-government, business, religion-when people are involved there are always a minority lets say 10% that will mess it up for everyone and regulations, laws, and confusion come from this.
    Business is not always best at running things-I can attest to that from seeing ***** decisions by people at the top time and time again in my over 40 years of employment. Business has a luxury that a government does not-Business can make decisions that will negatively impact millions of people (put them out of work, destroy their lives, raise their cost of living etc) and as long as it makes a profit its okay in their minds. Morally the decisions made by many company CEO are reprehensible...such as going to India and paying 25 cents a day for workers to make shoes, or shirts, toys etc......They not only sell their countrymen down the river...they take advantage of people in other countries. Patriotism means little to a CEO it seems.
    Government is suppose to work for the people, to protect the nation, build the highways, make society fair to all regardless of race creed or color and lastly "promote the general welfare" IE do things which benefit our citizens and help them when needed.
    But I am not the sterotype that is perceived by far right, but do see other ways to accomplish the same goals most of the US have that are not "PARTY LINE"
    For the record I have never questioned a Presidents Americanism or love of country but nearly every Democratic candidate for President in the last 40 years gets painted a commie or socialist.
    Reagan was not a commie or socialist and he promoted farm suppliment payments to Farmers, bailed out Chrysler in the 80s with government money (as O'bama just did 4 years back) expanded the Earned Income Tax Credit to the working poor so they got a bigger tax refund to help them until their incomes went up (much like tax credits to business to keep them profitable in bad years or years of retooling) etc...wow I am getting carried away here......sorry.
    Work in Progress!

I agree every president goes to a disaster site. I don’t dispute that, it just drives me crazy when I see it sometimes. Yes you are right about any President would have been criticized about not going to a time of need. But that is where I do criticize Obama on Libya. All he did is go onto talk show after talk show and blame it on a Youtube video. Nobody seems to remember that in 2004 Bush was notified of a issue (for the life of me I can’t remember right now either) he canceled his fundraiser so he could take care of the problem. (I hope I will think of it later).

Yes I know that not everything can be thought out or know details of what is about to happen. If we knew of all the things that happened behind close doors at our CIA or the Whitehouse briefings we would probably never leave the house. The difference between Bush and Obama is they watched everything happening in real time in Libya, they knew exactly what was going on. September 11 happened in seconds, nobody knew it was coming. Besides December 7 1941 we have never been attacked like that. Now we should know that anything can happen to us in a matter of seconds. One of the reasons Obama knows that he screwed up and will not admit to it, is they knew in real-time what was going on. The CIA told the White House within minutes of what is going on. They absolutely knew within 24 hours there was a attack. We should know now that on September 11th we need extra security everywhere that our Americans are at. Obama has missed so many security briefings it is not even funny. You know if Bush would have missed more than 1 security briefing he would have been ridiculed in the liberal media.

You forgot that republicans want to throw granny off the mountain too, since that’s what you think we are. Ha ha. I will tell you that we want to take care of people that NEED help. Things in this country get more and more abused in our policy’s, that’s what republicans are always trying to keep from happening. I know there is always an extreme democrat and republicans.

Side note, I know you always mention SS and Medicare, I hope you know that medicade is about to go really belly up since Obama took 700 billion from medicade and used it for his Obamacare. Obamacare will cost us about a trillion dollars that we cant afford.

You are right about the founding fathers did not create the parties. I was watching tv and thinking of something else when I was typing. Thanks for catching my mistake. You know its funny that years ago republicans would be known as democrats today and vise versa. You know you added that the look of republicans don’t care about people. If you go back in time and look at what parties voted on what issues republicans voted on social issues that were not popular. Republicans are the ones who voted against slavery, women’s lib and affirmative action. Even the great Martin Luther King was a republican.

To be honest I really don’t care if someone is offended by Christianity, the majority of people in this nation are Christian’s and like you mentioned this country was founded on Christianity. It drives me crazy that when I went to school the Pledge of Allegiance had under God in it, now you can’t say it because it’s offensive. I feel like everyday we have to protect everyone else’s feelings but the government could care less in they upset the majority.

The government IS a business and it should be treated like one. It is simple math you don’t spend more than you make. You and I would not go out and make X amount of money a year and spend Y more. You would not say oh you know I need a new job that pays more so I can spend more. You would knock the unneeded expenses off so the money you have coming in can support the amount you have going out. This is why taxing the rich will not work. If you look at France right now they just elected a liberal that wants to do the same thing and all of the rich people there are leaving in droves. They are all investing elsewhere. That is what will happen here too. Why can’t we be the place that every business wants to setup shop in? By not taxing to death the rich (which they pay the majority of taxes right now anyway) will help the economy ten fold and the government makes more revenue. Did you know that Bush set the all time record in 2004-2006 in revenue given to the government? He did this by lowering the tax rate for businesses, cut some spending and with the economy flourishing more money came in. Simple. Who would have thought….

To me the small business man has every right to make any decision they want for their company. After all they are the ones who have all the risk in failure and success. I can understand if you work for someone and lose a job that you might be upset but the person has the right to do something with any job or path for the company. Just today there was a company (I didn’t catch the name) that fired 156 people after the election. They do not want to accept Obamacare or the cost. Do you blame the CEO in firing those people? They have to protect their investments and their livelihood. You should blame the guy who was just re-elected to the office. He is forcing the CEO’s to make tough decisions about their company.

RIP Tommy

I agree every president goes to a disaster site. I don’t dispute that, it just drives me crazy when I see it sometimes. Yes you are right about any President would have been criticized about not going to a time of need. But that is where I do criticize Obama on Libya. All he did is go onto talk show after talk show and blame it on a Youtube video. Nobody seems to remember that in 2004 Bush was notified of a issue (for the life of me I can’t remember right now either) he canceled his fundraiser so he could take care of the problem. (I hope I will think of it later).

Yes I know that not everything can be thought out or know details of what is about to happen. If we knew of all the things that happened behind close doors at our CIA or the Whitehouse briefings we would probably never leave the house. The difference between Bush and Obama is they watched everything happening in real time in Libya, they knew exactly what was going on. September 11 happened in seconds, nobody knew it was coming. Besides December 7 1941 we have never been attacked like that. Now we should know that anything can happen to us in a matter of seconds. One of the reasons Obama knows that he screwed up and will not admit to it, is they knew in real-time what was going on. The CIA told the White House within minutes of what is going on. They absolutely knew within 24 hours there was a attack. We should know now that on September 11th we need extra security everywhere that our Americans are at. Obama has missed so many security briefings it is not even funny. You know if Bush would have missed more than 1 security briefing he would have been ridiculed in the liberal media.

You forgot that republicans want to throw granny off the mountain too, since that’s what you think we are. Ha ha. I will tell you that we want to take care of people that NEED help. Things in this country get more and more abused in our policy’s, that’s what republicans are always trying to keep from happening. I know there is always an extreme democrat and republicans.

Side note, I know you always mention SS and Medicare, I hope you know that medicade is about to go really belly up since Obama took 700 billion from medicade and used it for his Obamacare. Obamacare will cost us about a trillion dollars that we cant afford.

You are right about the founding fathers did not create the parties. I was watching tv and thinking of something else when I was typing. Thanks for catching my mistake. You know its funny that years ago republicans would be known as democrats today and vise versa. You know you added that the look of republicans don’t care about people. If you go back in time and look at what parties voted on what issues republicans voted on social issues that were not popular. Republicans are the ones who voted against slavery, women’s lib and affirmative action. Even the great Martin Luther King was a republican.

To be honest I really don’t care if someone is offended by Christianity, the majority of people in this nation are Christian’s and like you mentioned this country was founded on Christianity. It drives me crazy that when I went to school the Pledge of Allegiance had under God in it, now you can’t say it because it’s offensive. I feel like everyday we have to protect everyone else’s feelings but the government could care less in they upset the majority.

The government IS a business and it should be treated like one. It is simple math you don’t spend more than you make. You and I would not go out and make X amount of money a year and spend Y more. You would not say oh you know I need a new job that pays more so I can spend more. You would knock the unneeded expenses off so the money you have coming in can support the amount you have going out. This is why taxing the rich will not work. If you look at France right now they just elected a liberal that wants to do the same thing and all of the rich people there are leaving in droves. They are all investing elsewhere. That is what will happen here too. Why can’t we be the place that every business wants to setup shop in? By not taxing to death the rich (which they pay the majority of taxes right now anyway) will help the economy ten fold and the government makes more revenue. Did you know that Bush set the all time record in 2004-2006 in revenue given to the government? He did this by lowering the tax rate for businesses, cut some spending and with the economy flourishing more money came in. Simple. Who would have thought….

To me the small business man has every right to make any decision they want for their company. After all they are the ones who have all the risk in failure and success. I can understand if you work for someone and lose a job that you might be upset but the person has the right to do something with any job or path for the company. Just today there was a company (I didn’t catch the name) that fired 156 people after the election. They do not want to accept Obamacare or the cost. Do you blame the CEO in firing those people? They have to protect their investments and their livelihood. You should blame the guy who was just re-elected to the office. He is forcing the CEO’s to make tough decisions about their company.
    Wow a lot of points to debate-where to start?
    How about the highest revenue issue 2004-2006 and before I start let me remind you of a Mark Twainism from the 1800s paraphrased slightly
    "Their are lies, ****ed lies and statistics"
    Here is some information on the Bush tax cuts from a Tax Policy website:
    http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/brief...ts/revenue.cfm
    The Bush tax cuts contributed, along with underlying economic conditions, to a historic decline in federal tax revenue. In 2000 total federal tax revenue was as high in proportion to the U.S. economy as it had ever been. By 2004 federal tax revenue in proportion to the economy had fallen to its lowest level in almost fifty years.■In recent decades the federal tax take has generally fluctuated between 17 and 19 percent of gross domestic product (GDP). By 2000, however, total federal tax receipts had reached 20.9 percent of GDP, their highest level since 1970 and matched only in 1944, when the federal government collected 20.9 percent of GDP in taxes at the height of fighting World War II. By 2004, however, federal tax receipts had fallen to 16.3 percent of GDP, which is not only the lowest level since 1970, but the lowest since 1959.
    ■Most of the decline in the ratio of federal tax revenue to GDP can be traced to the individual income tax. From 1970 to 2000 these taxes were typically in the range of 8 to 9 percent of GDP. In 2000 individual income taxes were 10.3 percent of GDP, their highest level ever. By 2004 individual income taxes had dropped to 7.0 percent of GDP, their lowest level since 1951. Total federal tax revenue declined by 4.6 percent of GDP from 2000 to 2004; of that total, 3.3 percentage points, or almost three-quarters, was due to the decline in individual income tax revenue.
    ■Most of the remaining decline in the revenue-to-GDP ratio resulted from a drop in the share in total revenue coming from corporate income taxes, which fell by 0.5 percent of GDP from 2000 to 2004, and a drop in the share coming from the payroll taxes that finance Social Security and Medicare, which declined by 0.4 percent of GDP over that period.
    Work in Progress!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast