Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elvis Presley to be Inducted into Memphis Music Hall of Fame

Elvis Presley to be Inducted into Memphis Music Hall of Fame

Elvis Presley is among the first 25 inductees for the Memphis Music Hall of Fame. The Memphis Rock n' Soul Museum said Tuesday that the inaugural class for the Memphis Music Hall of Fame will be inducted Nov. 29. Tickets are now on sale through Ticketmaster.com. The group of inductees were c...

More...

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Re: Elvis Presley to be Inducted into Memphis Music Hall of Fame

Elvis Presley is among the first 25 inductees for the Memphis Music Hall of Fame. The Memphis Rock n' Soul Museum said Tuesday that the inaugural class for the Memphis Music Hall of Fame will be inducted Nov. 29. Tickets are now on sale through Ticketmaster.com.

The group of inductees were chosen by the Nominating Committee of Local and National Music Professionals, including studio owners, producers, authors, and historians. Memphis has long been known as the home to music's most original creators working in all genres such as the blues, rockabilly and rock 'n' roll, among many others.

According to the Memphis Music Hall of Fame, "The King of Rock 'n' Roll exploded world culture, becoming arguably the greatest musician of all time. Starting at Memphis' Sun Studios, his exposure to gospel, country, and soulful African-American blues created a new musical genre which shook the planet."

Others honored were blues guitarist B.B. King, blues pioneer W.C. Handy, Sun Records founder Sam Phillips, R&B singers Al Green, Isaac Hayes and Booker T. and the MGs.

The Memphis Music Hall of Fame is under the administration of the Smithsonian-developed Memphis Rock 'n' Soul Museum. To learn more about the list of inductees or to tour the museum, visit MemphisRockNSoul.org. Also, plan your own trip to Graceland to learn about the King of Rock 'n' Roll with our free online trip planner!
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

That's great.

Thats great, it would almost be a "given" without a nominating committee to validate it-but the proprieties must be observed.
    Work in Progress!

About time........

Good Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    About time........
    Same here!! You got that right !!!

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Well of course he is! I mean its the MEMPHIS hall of fame... Great stuff. Nice to see Booker T. and the MGs as well as B.B. King on this first class.

This is a BIG deal! Not many US cities can have their own music HOF and it be newsworthy. No major city has produced as many hits and recordings in a shorter span as Memphis, TN has. This will be the 6th major HOF that Elvis has now been inducted into. The Rock & Roll HOF in 1987, the Gospel Music HOF, the Country Music HOF, the Blues HOF, the Pop Music HOF, and now the Memphis Music HOF.

As for this story, I was told about this about a week or so ago but not who were going to be the inductees. My computer went out so I had to get a new one so that's why I haven't been on lately. That and work. I am told that the MMHOF board of directors are looking at a few sites in downtown Memphis for the future HOF museum facility. The ideal site would be where the former Plush Club sits at the corner of Beale St. and South 4th St. If selected, it would be the new gateway into downtown Memphis and the Beale St. district. Although, there's some obstacles. The land is privately owned and the owner has shown no signs of turning it over to the city. They are looking to rival the Country HOF museum in Nashville. I was surprised though that the Queen Of Soul wasn't among those first inductees. Unless I missed it. I was surprised too that Three-Six Mafia (a gangsta rap group) made it in over a pop superstar named Justin Timberlake.

The Memphis Music Hall Of Fame has been a long time coming and was originally pitched as far back as the 1970's. Later, in the 2000's, city officials looked into redeveloping Mud Island and building a MM HOF there. However, since the devastating flood of last year on Mud Island, that idea is now scrapped.

Not recently in the news, but Memphis mayor AC Wharton is proposing and planning a new entertainment district just south of Beale Street. The Rock & Soul Museum (currently located at the FedExForum arena) will be relocated to across the street from its current location to inside of the Gibson Guitar Factory. Gibson is going to redevelop about 2 city blocks for the new entertainment complex which will feature, bars, clubs and retail shops and highlighted by a giant 12-story tall Gibson guitar.

Below is a few photo renderings of what it'll look like. Btw, the company heading up the redesign is also the same company that redeveloped Elvis' birthplace recently.

A view of the new Gibson property south of the factory.

Inside lobby of the Gibson factory where the Rock & Soul Museum will be.

Outside of the soon to be remodeled Gibson Guitar Factory and the new site of the Rock & Soul Museum
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia

Chips Moman and Willie Mitchell both get snubbed.

They should be among the 25 inductees but they aren't.

They should have got the nod instead of Three Six mafia.

I continue to be amazed and shocked that Memphis doesn't acknowledge's all the hit records that came out of the state besides Sun records and STAX.

You'd think they'd want to brag about all the hits produced at American studios but no one ever mentions them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Chips Moman and Willie Mitchell both get snubbed.

They should be among the 25 inductees but they aren't.

They should have got the nod instead of Three Six mafia.

I continue to be amazed and shocked that Memphis doesn't acknowledge's all the hit records that came out of the state besides Sun records and STAX.

You'd think they'd want to brag about all the hits produced at American studios but no one ever mentions them.
    They acknowledge American Sound Studios. It's just not as historical as Sun and Stax are. Curb Records is the one that gets ignored. ZZ Top recorded there in the early 80's. My understanding is that the new HOF will induct 25 new entries every year and will range from artists and hit makers to producers and songwriters. Session men and women will also be inducted.

I'm still scratching my head over Three Six Mafia being inducted, in the first group at that.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    They acknowledge American Sound Studios. It's just not as historical as Sun and Stax are. Curb Records is the one that gets ignored.
    I don't think they do.

Chips Moman and The American studio band were churning out hit after hit over a five year period in the late 60s and early 70s but they have never won or been nominated for anything.

They rarely or ever mention Chips Moman and American studios during the documentaries that i've seen on Memphis music.

They are absent from the list of inductees in the Memphis music hall of fame.

Chips Moman and the American studio band contributed more to Memphis music than Three Six Mafia and they should be among the first inductees.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    I was surprised though that the Queen Of Soul wasn't among those first inductees. Unless I missed it. I was surprised too that Three-Six Mafia (a gangsta rap group) made it in over a pop superstar named Justin Timberlake.
    I'm not sure but i think Aretha Franklin only recorded in Memphis one time and she isn't known for contributing much to the music scene there.

Justin Timberlake has never recorded in Memphis but The Three Six Mafia have.

It wouldn't surprise me if Timberlake got inducted at some point even though to me he shouldn't.

The renderings are nice-but I'm sure that the final look will be much different, as we have seen artist renderings and proposals are many times off the mark after the actual building begins.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The renderings are nice-but I'm sure that the final look will be much different, as we have seen artist renderings and proposals are many times off the mark after the actual building begins.
    Probably. Usually what is in a rendering ends up looking much different when completed.

Coming On Strong

If Timberlake doesn't record in Memphis I can understand why he was left off

I'm not sure but i think Aretha Franklin only recorded in Memphis one time and she isn't known for contributing much to the music scene there.

Justin Timberlake has never recorded in Memphis but The Three Six Mafia have.

It wouldn't surprise me if Timberlake got inducted at some point even though to me he shouldn't.
    Justin Timberlake was born in Memphis and has had a very successful career, he does deserve a place.
    Last edited by Snake Eyes; 10-23-2012 at 02:36 AM.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    Justin Timberlake was born in Memphis and has had a very successful career, he does deserve a place.
    I don't think he does.

Memphis is a city that is rich with musical history.

All the people being inducted into the hall of fame have contributed to Memphis music by recording or producing there.

Timberlake just being born in Memphis isn't going to cut it when you look at the achievements of so many of the other inductees or potential candidates that could be inducted next year.

I think what will happen is the Memphis music hall will induct him at some point because Timberlake being from there gives them modern day name recognition.

Even though he hasn't done anything for Memphis music and wasn't even born when Memphis was churning out so many hit records.

I don't think he does.

Memphis is a city that is rich with musical history.

All the people being inducted into the hall of fame have contributed to Memphis music by recording or producing there.

Timberlake just being born in Memphis isn't going to cut it when you look at the achievements of so many of the other inductees or potential candidates that could be inducted next year.

I think what will happen is the Memphis music hall will induct him at some point because Timberlake being from there gives them modern day name recognition.

Even though he hasn't done anything for Memphis music and wasn't even born when Memphis was churning out so many hit records.
    Is it absolute criteria to become inducted that you have to record or produce in Memphis? If so, then tough on JT. But let's face it, he was one fifth of the mega successful N'Sync, going on to become a hugely successful solo act, not forgetting his 'acting' career, he will get in just a case of when.

Funny how things work out, JC Chavez has a much better voice than JT.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    Is it absolute criteria to become inducted that you have to record or produce in Memphis? If so, then tough on JT.
    That's up to the people on the induction board to make that determination.
    However as i said all the inaugaral 25 inductees did record in Memphis.

Seeing as how Memphis is such a famous city for it's music it wouldn't make good sense to induct someone that's never recorded there or contributed anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast