Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elvis Presley to be Inducted into Memphis Music Hall of Fame

Re: Elvis Presley to be Inducted into Memphis Music Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    That's up to the people on the induction board to make that determination.
    However as i said all the inaugaral 25 inductees did record in Memphis.

Seeing as how Memphis is such a famous city for it's music it wouldn't make good sense to induct someone that's never recorded there or contributed anything.
    It would also make sense to recognise a son of Memphis who has had a very successful career.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    It would also make sense to recognise a son of Memphis who has had a very successful career.
    After everything i've pointed out you seriously think Justin Timberlake still deserves to be inducted.

The 25 initial inductees of the Memphis Music Hall of Fame, in alphabetical order are: Estelle Axton and Jim Stewart; Bobby “Blue” Bland; Booker T. and The MG’s; Lucie Campbell; George Coleman; Jim Dickinson; Al Green; W.C. Handy; Isaac Hayes; Howlin’ Wolf; B.B. King; Jerry Lee Lewis; Jimmie Lunceford; Professor W.T. McDaniel; Memphis Minnie; Willie Mitchell; Dewey Phillips; Sam Phillips; Elvis Presley; Otis Redding; The Staple Singers; Rufus Thomas; Three 6 Mafia; Nat D. Williams; and ZZ Top.

Shame that Scotty Moore isn't on the list although not a singer his guitar sound influenced a lot of others.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Quote Originally Posted by hounddog View Post
    The 25 initial inductees of the Memphis Music Hall of Fame, in alphabetical order are: Estelle Axton and Jim Stewart; Bobby “Blue” Bland; Booker T. and The MG’s; Lucie Campbell; George Coleman; Jim Dickinson; Al Green; W.C. Handy; Isaac Hayes; Howlin’ Wolf; B.B. King; Jerry Lee Lewis; Jimmie Lunceford; Professor W.T. McDaniel; Memphis Minnie; Willie Mitchell; Dewey Phillips; Sam Phillips; Elvis Presley; Otis Redding; The Staple Singers; Rufus Thomas; Three 6 Mafia; Nat D. Williams; and ZZ Top.

Shame that Scotty Moore isn't on the list although not a singer his guitar sound influenced a lot of others.
    There's quite a few that got passed over for the first group to go in. Obviously they will get in sooner than later. Below is a list of individuals who are worthy of an induction in the next class who have had an impact on the Memphis music scene.

Aretha Franklin (Queen of Soul and recorded the bulk of her greatest hits such as Chain Of Fools and R-E-S-P-E-C-T in Memphis)
    David Porter (music producer and songwriter who produced the Grammy award winning soundtrack to Shaft as well as countless of Stax artists)
    Carl Perkins (one of the original rockabilly stars who came out of Memphis in the 1950's-wrote and recorded legendary hit, Blue Suede Shoes at Sun Studio)
    Scotty Moore (a legendary guitarist already inducted into the Rock & Roll HOF who played on Elvis Presley's classic recordings at Sun)
    The Bar-Kays (a Soul/Funk group from the mid 60's to the mid 80's who had dozens of hits)
    Johhny Cash (Country singer who got his big start at Sun Studio in Memphis)
    Chips Moman (Popular music producer who produced such artists as Elvis, Neil Diamond and worked as a guitarist on Aretha Franklin's early recordings at American Sound Studio)
    Bill Black (Bass guitarist for Elvis at Sun also known as The Blue Moon Boys)
    Dewey Phillips (radio dis-jockey who was the first to play race music on white radio in the south and debuted the first Presley record That's All Right on his popular Red Hot And Blue show)
    George Klein (a famous dis-jockey legend in Memphis radio who was known for being a promoter for underground Memphis artists throughout the years)
    Justin Timberlake (a popular superstar who's career began with the record setting boy band Nsync before launching into a record setting solo career. Timberlake is also a strong promoter and supporter of the history of the Memphis music scene, including signing unknown artists from Memphis to his record label)
    Scarface (famous rapper from the late 80's who put Memphis rap on the music map)
    Saliva (a popular hard-rock/grunge band from the late 90's who's career began in the nightclubs in Memphis before going on to stardom)
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    There's quite a few that got passed over for the first group to go in. Obviously they will get in sooner than later. Below is a list of individuals who are worthy of an induction in the next class who have had an impact on the Memphis music scene.

Aretha Franklin (Queen of Soul and recorded the bulk of her greatest hits such as Chain Of Fools and R-E-S-P-E-C-T in Memphis)
    [)
    Aretha Franklin didn't record those songs in Memphis nor the bulk of her greatest hits.

She recorded those songs at Atlantic studios in New York City.

Aretha Franklin didn't record those songs in Memphis nor the bulk of her greatest hits.

She recorded those songs at Atlantic studios in New York City.
    You're right, sort of. Those songs were recorded at FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, AL. Not New York. Aretha recorded I Never Loved A Man at American Sound in 1967 which was her first major hit reaching the Top 10.

TCB Mafia

You're right, sort of. Those songs were recorded at FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, AL. Not New York. Aretha recorded I Never Loved A Man at American Sound in 1967 which was her first major hit reaching the Top 10.
    I think you are wrong VivaElvis.

Aretha recorded I never loved a Man and Do right woman at Muscle shoals.

Then she recorded several of her hits such as Respect at the Atlantic recording studios in New York with the Muscle shoals rhythm section backing her.

I believe Aretha Franklin only recorded once in Memphis at the American Sound studios.

She recorded the hit ''Think'' which was produced by Chips Moman but that's the only hit she recorded in Memphis.

TCB Mafia

Alex Chilton should replace Aretha Franklin on Viva Elvis' list.

Terry Manning should probably be inducted in the future as well.

Great news! Aside from the beauty of not only Elvis' music, he represented and kept Memphis in the forefront, whether be in his press conferences, interviews or whatever.

After everything i've pointed out you seriously think Justin Timberlake still deserves to be inducted.
    Wait what? You've pointed out your opinion and I'm expected to swallow it? I didn't realise you're the voice of the forum, get over yourself. I think given his musical merits JT will have a place in the MHOF, you don't like that, cry me a river.

@Viva - Definately with you on the Bar Kays

TCB Mafia

Wait what? You've pointed out your opinion and I'm expected to swallow it? I didn't realise you're the voice of the forum, get over yourself. I think given his musical merits JT will have a place in the MHOF, you don't like that, cry me a river.
    Watch it Snake eyes I was just asking a simple question a yes or no would have done it.

I wasn't saying or implying any ego or saying i'm the voice of the forum.

I was however presenting an intelligent counter argument and i was trying to persuade you as to why Timberlake shouldn't have a place.

If you still think he does after all i've said that's fine.

It's just like i countered Viva Elvis' post about Chips Moman.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

What I would like to know is who will accept the induction on Elvis' behalf? My guess would be Priscilla or Lisa. I would hope Lisa would be the one to accept the honor.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    What I would like to know is who will accept the induction on Elvis' behalf? My guess would be Priscilla or Lisa. I would hope Lisa would be the one to accept the honor.
    If anyone shows up to except the award it will be Priscilla.

Watch it Snake eyes I was just asking a simple question a yes or no would have done it.

I wasn't saying or implying any ego or saying i'm the voice of the forum.

I was however presenting an intelligent counter argument and i was trying to persuade you as to why Timberlake shouldn't have a place.

If you still think he does after all i've said that's fine.

It's just like i countered Viva Elvis' post about Chips Moman.
    This is tearin' up my heart! You offered your opinion and whilst I agree with certain aspects, I don't agree with your opinion that JT doesn't deserve a place. Let's not forget he's not even on that list anyway. But for you to consider, here are some career highlights.

Six Grammys, 4 Emmys. Donations of $100,000 to the Memphis Rock 'N' Soul Museum, a further $100,000 to the Memphis Music Foundation, a tequila dedicated to Memphis called 901 which I believe is the area code?

Co-wrote his debut album Justified which has sold over 10 million copies, co-wrote and produced his second album FutureSex/LoveSounds which has been certified multi platinum and again, sold over 10 million copies. If memory serves, he's also a huge fan of Elvis and had/has a clothing range which was inspired by Elvis.

Not bad from someone who has contributed nothing. However, like I've also stated twice, if the criteria is based solely upon recording in Memphis, then it's tough on JT, but I don't think that will be the case. I understand you don't like him and if you still think he doesn't deserve a future nod, then I'm fine with it. We will agree to disagree.

Also just remembered the McDonalds thing do do do do doooooo I'm Loving It.

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I hope it's Lisa too.

Snakeyes is correct. Timberlake has done more for Memphis than anyone since Elvis. He's got a home there in Southwind just outside of East Memphis (or did have) where all the rich and famous live. I know that a few years ago he and Jessica Beil, were staying there during the Christmas holidays. It even made national news. They visited Elvis' birthplace during that time. He helped launch the Rock & Soul Museum in downtown and he's been a strong advocate for the entire city, Graceland, the Civil Rights Museum, and now is part owner of the NBA franchise, the Memphis Grizzlies. He's also said to be wanting to record his next album in Memphis, whenever that may happen. He would have recorded both of his previous albums there had it not have been for his partner Timbaland having an under the table agreement with people in Myrtle Beach, SC where his two Grammy award winning albums were recorded.

thanks for all this......never know so much about JT
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

TCB Mafia

Snakeyes is correct. Timberlake has done more for Memphis than anyone since Elvis. He's got a home there in Southwind just outside of East Memphis (or did have) where all the rich and famous live. I know that a few years ago he and Jessica Beil, were staying there during the Christmas holidays. It even made national news.
    Justin Timberlake hasn't done more for Memphis music than anyone since Elvis.

Let's be realistic all the people on the induction list have done more for Memphis music than Timberlake.

TCB Mafia

Not bad from someone who has contributed nothing. However, like I've also stated twice, if the criteria is based solely upon recording in Memphis, then it's tough on JT, but I don't think that will be the case. I understand you don't like him and if you still think he doesn't deserve a future nod, then I'm fine with it. We will agree to disagree.
    I am aware of Timberlake's achievements.

I would like to say one more thing about Justin Timberlake.

As i said i think he will be inducted eventually because as a museum they will need tourists and inducting Timberlake would help them with that.

If i had to make a predicition i think Timberlake will get inducted before Chips Moman does.

I think when Timbelake does get inducted he will pale in comparsion to the other inductees.

I think Timberlake could help put Memphis back on the map by recording a couple of his albums there but he doesn't do that.

If Elvis had lived at Graceland but never recorded anything in Memphis and the Memphis music hall of fame decided to induct him because he was the most famous resident that would be the equivalent to Justin Timberlake.

It has nothing to do with me liking or not liking Justin Timberlake i just don't think he deserves it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast