Thread: Opening / Ending Songs ?

Opening / Ending Songs ?

Theres always a debate on the best song to open his shows, CC or TA , but which song do you think he should have closed with, did he get it right with CHFIL, or as many believe , TRILOGY would have made the ultimate song to leave em wanting more ?
    I suppose the question begs, could he have always sung it ?
    Your choices ?

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Re: Opening / Ending Songs ?

I really like Can't Help Falling In Love for the ending of his shows but I could have seen the Wonder of You.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

If I'm honest its not one of my fav songs......and fans who followed him around could have probably done with a change (imo)

Trilogy would have been a really strong finish with everyone on their feet, but Wonder of You is a great song too.....

I think generally he could have mixed songs up and done more variety for himself and the band members, it must have got very stale......

It depends if CHFILWY was a message song from him to his fans....if that was the intention, then nothing else has that particular meaning. If any slow love song would have done to finish, I like Hawaiian Wedding Song, and Young and Beautiful, to name a couple
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

I really like CHFIL and no matter how many times I hear it, I will never get bored of it, it's a perfect song in my eyes.

The Wonder of You and Trilogy are both up there as great songs for me, but If I Can Dream would've blown the roof off had it been the closing song. Opening song is quite difficult as CCR and TA are not personal favs, maybe I've heard them too many times, but they just don't sit well with me. Like Debtbruno has said, the set lists needed mixing up more. I kind of quite like I Gotta Know as a possible alternative opener.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    If I'm honest its not one of my fav songs......and fans who followed him around could have probably done with a change (imo)

Trilogy would have been a really strong finish with everyone on their feet, but Wonder of You is a great song too.....

I think generally he could have mixed songs up and done more variety for himself and the band members, it must have got very stale......

It depends if CHFILWY was a message song from him to his fans....if that was the intention, then nothing else has that particular meaning. If any slow love song would have done to finish, I like Hawaiian Wedding Song, and Young and Beautiful, to name a couple
    I always heard that is why he did Can't Help Falling In Love is to show the fans how much he loved them.

I think it is cool that he is so well known for opening his show with 2001 Space Odyssey and closing with CHFIL. I wasn't born when he was performing concerts but I get cold chills when I hear the 2001 song, I can't imagine what it would have felt like in person.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I always heard that is why he did Can't Help Falling In Love is to show the fans how much he loved them.

I think it is cool that he is so well known for opening his show with 2001 Space Odyssey and closing with CHFIL. I wasn't born when he was performing concerts but I get cold chills when I hear the 2001 song, I can't imagine what it would have felt like in person.
    absolutely...............couldnt be anything more dramatic.....it made a huge statement
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Trilogy ... See Aloha / On Tour to see the crowd go nuts.It"s the song that get"s the crowd up during the ELVIS THE CONCERT!...so it get"s my vote!.
    HELLO,I MUST BE GOING.

SAM...it"s been a privilege to be called your best mate.17.03.55 - 24.01.08

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/HankGarlandBio.html

I think CHFIL is a great closer, at the end of his shows he has rocked, he has showed off his voice, he has entertained-and I think choosing CHFIL was because he wanted everyone in the audience to know just what they meant to him.
    It was a statement.
    Work in Progress!

Personally I think that the 2001 intro and See See Rider was his signature opening and it summerized his status and royal charisma perfectly. It created a majestic aura by the time he stepped on stage. And CHFIL was perfect as a closing song. I might sound dull and conventional, but I just love the way it was. It's no accident they kept this habit in the '70s. People reacted as crazy, and Elvis loved to make a statement and a huge effect when he entered the stage. See See Rider is the best. It's basically the essence of Elvis. It's rhythm and blues, a bit of gospel crowned with a magnificent Las Vegas Orchestra brass sound. It's perfect, I still love to hear it. If I Can Dream might have also been a nice and powerful closing...
    Poke a little sock salad...

If I Can Dream, Funny How Time Slips Away, Impossible Dream, Hound Dog, Guitar Man are some closers i can think of. Opening songs Tiger Man, Trouble, High Hell Sneakers.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Quote Originally Posted by hounddog View Post
    If I Can Dream, Funny How Time Slips Away, Impossible Dream, Hound Dog, Guitar Man are some closers i can think of. Opening songs Tiger Man, Trouble, High Hell Sneakers.
    loving those choices.........

Opening songs. Blue Suede Shoes. Closer, CHFIL, can't think of a better way to finish a show!