Thread: Lil Wayne ties Elvis Billboard Top 100

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Lil Wayne ties Elvis Billboard Top 100

This article is on the Billboard website. I think this stat lost a lot of respect when Glee topped the list and now it really has.

http://www.billboard.com/column/char...07954922.story
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

TCB Mafia

Re: Lil Wayne ties Elvis Billboard Top 100

This doesn't mean Lil Wayne tied Elvis' record.

For Billboard to act like digital downloads are the same thing as single releases from the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s etc. is a joke.

It's two different things but for Billboard to act like it's the same thing is a slap in the face to artists like James Brown and Elvis who charted loads of singles on the chart through many years.

Billlboard giving legitimate credit to Glee and now Lil Wayne is just stupid.

I think they do it partly because the people at Billboard are too young to know the difference between downloads and going to record stores 40 and 50 years ago to physically buy a single.

The people at Billboard should educate themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    This doesn't mean Lil Wayne tied Elvis' record.

For Billboard to act like digital downloads are the same thing as single releases from the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s etc. is a joke.

It's two different things but for Billboard to act like it's the same thing is a slap in the face to artists like James Brown and Elvis who charted loads of singles on the chart through many years.

Billlboard giving legitimate credit to Glee and now Lil Wayne is just stupid.

I think they do it partly because the people at Billboard are too young to know the difference between downloads and going to record stores 40 and 50 years ago to physically buy a single.

The people at Billboard should educate themselves.

Agree, I thought your closing statement read as execute initially

Totally agree! Well said..

TCB Mafia

Latest article on this topic from Billboard Magazine:

http://www.billboard.com/news/lil-wa...07962082.story

Brian

Times are different now with all the media, I bet if Elvis was still with us, he would blown them all out of the water, that's for sure.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Who the heck is Lil Wayne? Bet a lot of people could say the same but everyone knows who Elvis is.

Yawn This is actually such non news.
    Most intelligent people do not even know who Lil Wayne is and certainly do not listen to his music. He has no cultural significance at all. No one will be teaching classes in college and high school about him, ten of thousands of people will not be visiting his home, which is on the national historical registry, decades after his death and so on. Fear not, the throne is safe and will remain so.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

This was an article from NY Daily News today.

Bigger than Elvis: Rapper Lil Wayne now has more appearances on Billboard's Hot 100 chart.

The self-proclaimed “best rapper alive” can lay claim to a new mantle: Bigger than Elvis.

Lil Wayne has surpassed Elvis Presley’s record of appearances on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart, the magazine announced Thursday. The King of Rock and Roll held the record with 108 songs on the chart from its launch in 1958 to 2003.

But with Lil Wayne’s appearance as a featured artist on the Game’s new jam, “Celebration,” the hip-hop star now has 109 songs on the list. Still, Billboard noted that Lil Wayne’s meteoric rise in the record books is in part due to rappers’ tendency to share credit on tracks.

Weezy is not listed as the lead artist on the majority of his tracks — unlike Presley who was the marquee singer on all of his songs. In an apples to apples comparison, The King still rules; Lil Wayne has just 42 singles on which he’s the main man, though not including his self-aggrandizing “Best Rapper Alive.”

Still, Lil Wayne’s first Billboard hit was in 1999, giving him only 13 years to eclipse the hip-shaking, jumpsuit-wearing legend. It’s a fair bet the rapper will be celebrating the milestone along with one other in style Thursday — it’s his 30th birthday.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy