Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: LONG TALL SALLY

  1. #21
    TCB Mafia Snake Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    These are off the top of my head and in no particular order but these are 7 of the worst that i can think of.
    There are a few more that i didn't think were very good but i can't recall them right now.

    Long Tall Sally
    Blueberry hill Agree
    I got my mojo working Agree
    The first time ever i saw his face
    I can't stop loving you
    Hey Jude Agree 100%
    Just a little bit.
    A few of mine that I dislike and will always skip, like you there are more but I can't recall all of them either. What are your thoughts on Runaway? I personally really like Elvis' version over Del Shannons, but that's just me.

    Hey Jude
    Yesterday
    Proud Mary
    Release Me

    Oh God, I just remembered Bridge Over Troubled Water, that's on the list too.

  2. #22
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    A few of mine that I dislike and will always skip, like you there are more but I can't recall all of them either. What are your thoughts on Runaway? I personally really like Elvis' version over Del Shannons, but that's just me.

    Hey Jude
    Yesterday
    Proud Mary
    Release Me
    I liked Elvis' version of Runaway very much.

    I agree on ''Proud Mary'' it doesn't come close to CCR and is barely passable.
    Elvis could have done a lot better on it.

    I Just remembered that ''Blue eyes crying in the rain'' was one of the worst covers.

    ''Proud Mary'' and ''Blue eyes crying in the rain'' would make the top ten for me.

  3. #23
    TCB Mafia Snake Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I liked Elvis' version of Runaway very much.

    I agree on ''Proud Mary'' it doesn't come close to CCR and is barely passable.
    Elvis could have done a lot better on it.

    I Just remembered that ''Blue eyes crying in the rain'' was one of the worst covers.

    ''Proud Mary'' and ''Blue eyes crying in the rain'' would make the top ten for me.
    Oh no, I like Blue Eyes, I'm gonna bet you don't like the Last Farewell either, am I right

  4. #24
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    A few of mine that I dislike and will always skip, like you there are more but I can't recall all of them either. What are your thoughts on Runaway? I personally really like Elvis' version over Del Shannons, but that's just me.

    Hey Jude
    Yesterday
    Proud Mary
    Release Me

    Oh God, I just remembered Bridge Over Troubled Water, that's on the list too.
    I can't believe you don't like that.....absolutely one of my favorites!!!
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  5. #25
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    Oh no, I like Blue Eyes, I'm gonna bet you don't like the Last Farewell either, am I right
    No.

    I thought Elvis did a good job on the Last farewell.

  6. #26
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    I guess since Elvis music is all I really listened to growing up, I like most of what Elvis did or covered. If I skip any songs it will be some of the movie songs. Elvis’ songs will always be the best in my mind.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  7. #27
    TCB Mafia Snake Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    No.

    I thought Elvis did a good job on the Last farewell.
    Yep so do I

  8. #28
    TCB Mafia Snake Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I can't believe you don't like that.....absolutely one of my favorites!!!
    Sorry Chris, don't get me wrong Elvis sings it well, but I have never liked that "song". If I don't like a song, even Elvis can't save it for me. Sad but true.

  9. #29
    I Dreamed a Dream Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    17,834

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY



    Last edited by Tommy; 09-23-2012 at 02:49 PM.

    I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

  10. #30
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    Sorry Chris, don't get me wrong Elvis sings it well, but I have never liked that "song". If I don't like a song, even Elvis can't save it for me. Sad but true.
    I will let it slide.....for now

    That is what is so great about Elvis there are 750 songs to choose from.

    P.S. I guess that's why I like Bridge Over Trouble Water so much is because the lyrics mean a lot to me and Elvis knocks it out of this world.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  11. #31
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I will let it slide.....for now

    That is what is so great about Elvis there are 750 songs to choose from.

    P.S. I guess that's why I like Bridge Over Trouble Water so much is because the lyrics mean a lot to me and Elvis knocks it out of this world.
    I thought it was one of the best covers Elvis ever did.

  12. #32

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    These are off the top of my head and in no particular order but these are 7 of the worst that i can think of.
    There are a few more that i didn't think were very good but i can't recall them right now.

    Long Tall Sally
    Blueberry hill
    I got my mojo working
    The first time ever i saw his face
    I can't stop loving you
    Hey Jude
    Just a little bit.
    I'd hate to see what you think is his best work. Outside of Hey Jude, I don't see anything wrong with any of the others. Got My Mojo Working and Just A Little Bit are a couple of the better rockin' blues songs he did in the 70's.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

  13. #33
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    I'd hate to see what you think is his best work. Outside of Hey Jude, I don't see anything wrong with any of the others. Got My Mojo Working and Just A Little Bit are a couple of the better rockin' blues songs he did in the 70's.
    The production on I got my mojo working is too vegas sounding.

    on Just a little bit Elvis' sounds bored and tired and the song lacks energy.

  14. #34
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Long Tall Sally by the Beatles is the best version, with Little Richard a very close second. McCartney at is rocking and screaming best.

  15. #35

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The production on I got my mojo working is too vegas sounding.

    on Just a little bit Elvis' sounds bored and tired and the song lacks energy.
    That's what made it sound so good. Without the horns it was just a recorded jam. It gave it some life with them.

    Elvis sounded tired and somewhat disinterested during the whole July Stax sessions. He was also depressed during this period as he was finalizing his divorce to the mother of his child. A lot was going on with him during that time. Notice that the December sessions show a more vibrant and energetic Elvis.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

  16. #36
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    That's what made it sound so good. Without the horns it was just a recorded jam. It gave it some life with them.

    Elvis sounded tired and somewhat disinterested during the whole July Stax sessions. He was also depressed during this period as he was finalizing his divorce to the mother of his child. A lot was going on with him during that time. Notice that the December sessions show a more vibrant and energetic Elvis.
    I disagee i think the song would have been a very good blues rock number without Felton Jarvis' Vegas wall of sound.

    Whatever the reason for Elvis' voice at the Stax session the fact remains that it hurt the performance of the song.

    Both songs were performed better by dozens of artists.

  17. #37
    TCB Mafia Raised on Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,129

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    These are off the top of my head and in no particular order but these are 7 of the worst that i can think of.
    There are a few more that i didn't think were very good but i can't recall them right now.

    Long Tall Sally
    Blueberry hill
    I got my mojo working
    The first time ever i saw his face
    I can't stop loving you
    Hey Jude
    Just a little bit.
    Totally agree with Blueberry HIll and The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, just nothing interesting on them. And Hey Jude, his vocals are weak, the american studio band did all right but nothing unique unlike other tracks on those sessions.

    Got My Mojo sounds great to me but only in its undubbed unedited version of it, but they ruined it with the horns and all, and that was the version that was released, so I would agree it didn worked out that well. Just A Little Bit has a great guitar solo from James Burton, and a funky feel, but as its been said, Elvis vocals are off during the whole July sessions, this could have been a killer if recorded during the December sessions.

    But the one track I don't agree with you is I Can't Stop Loving You. Which version your'e talking about?
    Yes, the '69 live version from the Elvis In Person LP is a bit dull. BUt it got better by TTWII, yet, by the time he did the MSG LP version, man take another lisen, his vocals are superb and the arrangment is just perfect, he totally nailed it!!!! Its a great cover to me!!!

    Proud Mary on the other side, it became mere pastiche by the MSG shows, but the On Stage version was allright, I would not say it was better than CCR, but it was not bad to me, although I can't understand why having James Burton in the band he skiped the classic licks of guitar solo on that song, that was a big fault.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 09-23-2012 at 07:59 PM.

  18. #38
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    But the one track I don't agree with you is I Can't Stop Loving You. Which version your'e talking about?
    Yes, the '69 live version from the Elvis In Person LP is a bit dull. BUt it got better by TTWII, yet, by the time he did the MSG LP version, man take another lisen, his vocals are superb and the arrangment is just perfect, he totally nailed it!!!! Its a great cover to me!!!
    All of the live versions.

    When Elvis did the song live he did it uptempo and i feel the song doesn't work well with that arrangement.

    I'm a big fan of Don Gibson's original and i think if Elvis was going to do it on stage it should have been more like his version.

    My favorite version of Elvis' is when he performed the song in a medley with ''This time'' at the 1969 Memphis sessions.

    I give Elvis credit for trying something different from the other versions but to me it didn't work.

  19. #39
    TCB Mafia debtdbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ilkley, Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    All of the live versions.

    When Elvis did the song live he did it uptempo and i feel the song doesn't work well with that arrangement.

    I'm a big fan of Don Gibson's original and i think if Elvis was going to do it on stage it should have been more like his version.

    My favorite version of Elvis' is when he performed the song in a medley with ''This time'' at the 1969 Memphis sessions.

    I give Elvis credit for trying something different from the other versions but to me it didn't work.
    agree there, I love this version too......

    I think he does something to Bridge over Troubled Water that Simon and Garfunkel could only dream of.........when he sings it virtually acapelo in TTWII it's beautiful.....his vocals are something else
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

  20. #40
    TCB Mafia Snake Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: LONG TALL SALLY

    Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    agree there, I love this version too......

    I think he does something to Bridge over Troubled Water that Simon and Garfunkel could only dream of.........when he sings it virtually acapelo in TTWII it's beautiful.....his vocals are something else


    I do agree, Elvis' rendition is beautiful, but I simply do not like the song itself. If I told you another song I dislike, I'd probably be for life, so I'm keeping that one a secret

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how tall was elvis really?
    By elvislady in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 02-05-2013, 05:22 AM
  2. Sally Struthers Dated Elvis?
    By King Of The Whole World in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 01:44 PM
  3. Long Tall Sally
    By Rover in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. How tall was Elvis?
    By ayda in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 08:35 AM
  5. Elvis How Tall
    By Jumpsuit Junkie in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 02:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •