Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carnegie Hall Presents Lisa Marie Presley on November 17

Carnegie Hall Presents Lisa Marie Presley on November 17

After the release of her latest album "Storm and Grace," Lisa Marie Presley has received rave reviews from music critics and has reclaimed her musical roots. Fans now have a chance to see the king's only daughter perform in one of the most prestigious music venues in the world. Presley will be a...

More...

Re: Carnegie Hall Presents Lisa Marie Presley on November 17

Good luck to her on this show.......Carnegie Hall-pretty upscale.
    Work in Progress!

Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Good luck to her on this show.......Carnegie Hall-pretty upscale.
    While I do think this is her best work,,,but Carnegie Hall,,,does anyone thing if she was not Lisa Presley this would happen??

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieT View Post
    While I do think this is her best work,,,but Carnegie Hall,,,does anyone thing if she was not Lisa Presley this would happen??
    oh no way.

But that's the way it's always been.

Lisa wouldn't have be invited to the Grand ole opry either and the media wouldn't be reporting on anything she does if not for Elvis.

Still a lot of people working in showbiz are in it just because their parents were in it.

You could argue that Lisa Marie isn't as talented as some of the others but that's the way it is.
    Last edited by Brian; 09-17-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Carnegie Hall Presents Lisa Marie Presley on November 17

September 17, 2012

After the release of her latest album "Storm and Grace," Lisa Marie Presley has received rave reviews from music critics and has reclaimed her musical roots. Fans now have a chance to see the king's only daughter perform in one of the most prestigious music venues in the world.

Presley will be appearing at Carnegie Hall as part of the Late Nights at Zankel Hall Series on November 17, 2012. Showtime begins at 10:00 p.m. and music lovers can enjoy an Americana-inspired showcase displaying Lisa Marie's song-writing talents infused with raw, powerful country, folk and blues.
    This makes no sense to me.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    oh no way.

Lisa wouldn't have be invited to the Grand ole opry either and the media wouldn't be reporting on anything she does if not for Elvis.

Still a lot of people working in showbiz are in it just because their parents were in it.

You could argue that Lisa Marie isn't as talented as some of the others but that's the way it is.
    Facebook Thumbs Up for that

oh no way.

In the beginnings of her first attempts at singing she made some demo tapes that were given to a few producers and DJs to get their reaction-and low and behold the majority liked them and wanted to know who this singer was....so the name did not help her then.
    But lets look at the other side of being Elvis Presleys daughter......some fans of Elvis critique her without mercy, and the vast majority of others can never get the idea out of their heads that "Her dad is ELVIS-ELVIS the man with the most versatile voice for music who ever lived"
    So for every door that has been opened or made easier-she has had a mountain of negative vibes to climb from the moment she started to sing....having nothing to do with her product...but her heritage.....
    I find her voice as good as the bulk of the pop female singers IE Jewel, Alanis Morrisette, Spears etc......and she has a definite talent at songwriting that her father did not have.
    My main problem with her is how she seems to have problems getting her mix correct in concerts and on her CDs.
    Her voice seems secondary to everything else-when its up front I like the sound much better and can understand the lyric.
    Work in Progress!

Loving elvis

I do like some of lisa's music but her singing isn't the greatest..Sorry for saying that

Here is a portion of a review of her current album:

.....Storm & Grace is soulful on several levels-the style of the vocals, Burnett's musical arrangements, and the depth of the material. While every song deals with surviving pain of one kind or another, the tone is typically one of reconciliation, even if all the victories aren't easily won. For example, "Forgiving," co-written with Steve Booker, asks for the secrets of forgiveness as that's hard to do. But these very secrets are scattered throughout the songs in which Presley waves goodbye to the past, which is full of unworthy lovers and glaring flaws within herself.

So Storm & Grace isn't a disc to pep up your party, but it is one worth repeated listening. If it's surprising, that's probably due to comparisons with her two previous releases and the fact that the attempt here was far more artistic than commercial. Lisa Marie has her own blues to sing and she delivers them with style and grace. This is one Presley very much in the building.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/b...#ixzz26q8OifyU
    Work in Progress!

Heres and interesting excerpt from one of the songs on her new album in a review-that illustrates the frustration of comparisons to her fathers abilities as a singer....hard act to follow:
    ......“Too bad she ain’t just like her daddy/Oh what a shame/She got no talent of her own/It’s just her name.”
    No, that’s not our review. That’s Presley anticipating (or reviving) some of the conventional/cynical wisdom about her musical career in “Sticks and Stones,” a bonus track on the deluxe version of her new album, “Storm & Grace.” She even refers to her own possibly hereditary pout: “She looks bad, she looks mad … Why’s she so angry and mean?”
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

In the beginnings of her first attempts at singing she made some demo tapes that were given to a few producers and DJs to get their reaction-and low and behold the majority liked them and wanted to know who this singer was....so the name did not help her then.
    I remember reading a few interviews with Lisa and she said that she'd been offered recording contracts since she was 15 years old.

When Lisa finally got ready to record an album she recorded one.

Other talented singers aren't that lucky as they have to play years of low paying gigs before finally getting a record deal.

I wonder why Lisa was so fortunate?

There's no doubt she's in a 'no win' situation. I would love to say that as Elvis' daughter I'm into her music.......I don't know if it's the dark, downbeat music she does?.....Maybe if she sang something lighter, bright and uplifting.....would like to see the comparison to decide if I get her more.
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Heres and interesting excerpt from one of the songs on her new album in a review-that illustrates the frustration of comparisons to her fathers abilities as a singer....hard act to follow:
    ......“Too bad she ain’t just like her daddy/Oh what a shame/She got no talent of her own/It’s just her name.”
    No, that’s not our review. That’s Presley anticipating (or reviving) some of the conventional/cynical wisdom about her musical career in “Sticks and Stones,” a bonus track on the deluxe version of her new album, “Storm & Grace.” She even refers to her own possibly hereditary pout: “She looks bad, she looks mad … Why’s she so angry and mean?”
    While she's not my cup of tea, there are plenty of artists out there and I use the term loosely who are terrible in comparison to LMP and have succeeded, it's a funny old world but if making music makes her happy, then she should carry on regardless of what people think.

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    There's no doubt she's in a 'no win' situation. I would love to say that as Elvis' daughter I'm into her music.......I don't know if it's the dark, downbeat music she does?.....Maybe if she sang something lighter, bright and uplifting.....would like to see the comparison to decide if I get her more.
    Maybe she should sing Poker Face

I just say good luck to her. No matter what she does people will rip her apart in one way or another. It's true, she can't win in the public eye.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I just say good luck to her. No matter what she does people will rip her apart in one way or another. It's true, she can't win in the public eye.
    The good far outweighs the negatives.

[QUOTE=Snake Eyes;415259]While she's not my cup of tea, there are plenty of artists out there and I use the term loosely who are terrible in comparison to LMP and have succeeded, it's a funny old world but if making music makes her happy, then she should carry on regardless of what people think.[/QUOTE]

I agree and obviously she will because so many seem to pan her. Luckily her reviews for this album are fairly good.
    I am most impressed with her songwriting which she should take some solace in the fact that Elvis just did not write....or the comparisons might be even harder on her.
    Work in Progress!

The good far outweighs the negatives.
    Exactly. And since she constantly reminds the public that she does her own thing I can't understand why she cares so much about what Elvis' fans think about her or her music. It's a little contradictory that she promoted her last CD from Graceland and Sun Studio when she always complains about not being seen as an artist by her own merits, don't you think?

It would be interesting to know how many of her fans are also Elvis' fans because most probably the majority of her record sales come from her father's fans. So yes, the good surely outweighs the negatives

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Exactly. And since she constantly reminds the public that she does her own thing I can't understand why she cares so much about what Elvis' fans think about her or her music. It's a little contradictory that she promoted her last CD from Graceland and Sun Studio when she always complains about not being seen as an artist by her own merits, don't you think?

It would be interesting to know how many of her fans are also Elvis' fans because most probably the majority of her record sales come from her father's fans. So yes, the good surely outweighs the negatives
    I would think its an inner conflict type thing, she does not want to be compared to her father (she realizes the greatness that only he possesed so she know she can not compete) but she also realizes that the musical roots she has...started with her Dad so she is drawn to things that he was associated with....like fans are drawn to Graceland.
    When you are in the shadow of a great oak tree and you are just a small young tree its good to be cool in the shade-but without the sun that gets blocked that young tree just has a hard time growing to full beauty and productivity.
    I would say that the idea of being Elvis Presleys child-and then trying to enter into the music field is about like the great oak and the small tree.....its very hard because you are going to get it from all sides.....over everymove you make.
    Sad we (and she) can not separate the connection in our minds.
    Work in Progress!

Loving elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I soo agree there Diane.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast