Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carnegie Hall Presents Lisa Marie Presley on November 17

Re: Carnegie Hall Presents Lisa Marie Presley on November 17

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    You and I have just been allowed to voice our fairly differing opinions about Lisa and the others, neither of us was not allowed to do so and I think both of us have shown respect to the other...thats what a forum is about differing ideas that are discussed pro and con.
    I don't feel thats wrong.
    Hmmm... well. I will not go into that. Maybe you haven't noticed it because you are in the "understanding team". But many times it's not easy to say certain things about them, not just here but in any Elvis' board. Some people automatically ask you to have respect and be nice when you try to give an objective opinion, even though you aren't insulting or offending those people.

Anyway, I guess we'll never change each other's mind but it's been good talking to you again

Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Hmmm... well. I will not go into that. Maybe you haven't noticed it because you are in the "understanding team". But many times it's not easy to say certain things about them, not just here but in any Elvis' board. Some people automatically ask you to have respect and be nice when you try to give an objective opinion, even though you aren't insulting or offending those people.

Anyway, I guess we'll never change each other's mind but it's been good talking to you again
    Exactly donut,,,they put Lisa on such a high horse and you don't dare say anything negative about her. What drives me nuts is all the whinning any celeb or celeb child does about the things people say. They don't mind all the perks, and advantages they get for being related to that person. It offers them a good life and opens many doors,,,so please. Lisa lives like a queen in her own castle and Priscilla who came from very middle class has had more opportunity than she deserved IMO from belonging. So I just get tired of the whoa was me garbage. Oh, poor Lisa and Cilla,,,Elvis worked his butt off and they profit well from him. Especially Priscilla,,,that women has about as much talent as an Aunt Eater IMO. And I feel she is an attention hog,,,so oh well if she has to endure scrutiny.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieT View Post
    Exactly donut,,,they put Lisa on such a high horse and you don't dare say anything negative about her. What drives me nuts is all the whinning any celeb or celeb child does about the things people say. They don't mind all the perks, and advantages they get for being related to that person. It offers them a good life and opens many doors,,,so please. Lisa lives like a queen in her own castle and Priscilla who came from very middle class has had more opportunity than she deserved IMO from belonging. So I just get tired of the whoa was me garbage. Oh, poor Lisa and Cilla,,,Elvis worked his butt off and they profit well from him. Especially Priscilla,,,that women has about as much talent as an Aunt Eater IMO. And I feel she is an attention hog,,,so oh well if she has to endure scrutiny.
    And i will add that i don't think they have to endure that much scrutiny.

A little bit when her first record came out but Lisa wouldn't of been able to get a record deal in the first place.

What really holds Lisa back from being able to achieve some recognition on her own is that she can't sing and most people don't care for her music.

That's reflected in the dismal sales from her latest album.

Loving elvis

My honest opinion is that if she had been the son of Elvis-she probably would get more respect-sad but true.
    I have never liked prejudice in any form but it still lies hidden (and not so hidden) in our world.
    I also see things a little different from most I guess-Priscilla, Lisa, EPE, even some of the MM are in "no win situations"
    no matter what they do it will be wrong to certain individuals.....and that is totally unfair, totally not acceptable to me. (not just for here but in any area of life)
    Take for example Lisa and her "In the Ghetto" duet with Elvis.......she had shied away from doing this or any of his songs and many fans criticized her for "not wanting to do something with her father or by her father"...yet many of the same fans then turned and criticized her for doing the duet and they made claims it was to boost her tour, career, new music etc........how can she ever be treated objectively with reasoning such as that?

Some claim I protect Lisa, EPE, Priscilla etc in my posts-not true...........I show the other side with I hope some objectivity.
    But nothing and no one is perfect and that includes the above.....but they are also not out and out villains in every situation.
    well said once again. I turly believe lisa shouldn't have to please her fathers fans or anybody for that matter and IF she wants to act like Queen so be it..who are we to judge?

Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by presley31 View Post
    well said once again. I turly believe lisa shouldn't have to please her fathers fans or anybody for that matter and IF she wants to act like Queen so be it..who are we to judge?
    We have the right to our opinions, we have the right to discern someone's actions, talent. I am quite sure you do it quite naturally in every day life. And everyone on earth has it done to them quite naturally. It is what humans do. Judging means to do harm based on one's accessment. I am sure no one means Lisa harm we are giving opinions, which we have a right to. So there we have it again,,,we must act like *****s with no minds or opinions because it is Lisa?? Of course she doesn't have to please his fans or anyone. It is not about that,,that is a twisted logic. It is about selling one's self and talent. If you do not develope a loyal fan base,,,you will not sell? In essence the person become a products as well. Who she is, as a person,her talent, style (not as who she is linked to) is what will hold her fan base in the long run.
    I like many songs in this C.D. even if I don't completely like the monotone sound of her voice. Would I buy it..no. She will always have a less than commercial fan base. IMO. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. But it sure as heck is not about her not living up to the expectations of her being like her father. That man was gifted beyond explanation.

Loving elvis

We have the right to our opinions, we have the right to discern someone's actions, talent. I am quite sure you do it quite naturally in every day life. And everyone on earth has it done to them quite naturally. It is what humans do. Judging means to do harm based on one's accessment. I am sure no one means Lisa harm we are giving opinions, which we have a right to. So there we have it again,,,we must act like *****s with no minds or opinions because it is Lisa?? Of course she doesn't have to please his fans or anyone. It is not about that,,that is a twisted logic. It is about selling one's self and talent. If you do not develope a loyal fan base,,,you will not sell? In essence the person become a products as well. Who she is, as a person,her talent, style (not as who she is linked to) is what will hold her fan base in the long run.
    I like many songs in this C.D. even if I don't completely like the monotone sound of her voice. Would I buy it..no. She will always have a less than commercial fan base. IMO. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. But it sure as heck is not about her not living up to the expectations of her being like her father. That man was gifted beyond explanation.
    Yep we are allowed to agree and disgree on things and i don't agree with everything you said but you do have some good points Nobody would be where they are now if it wasn't for elvis in my opinion. pris,lisa,MM,girlfriends, they all have there foot in the door thanks to elvis so i do agree with you there.

It can be better stated: Elvis worked his butt off. Lisa is lazy and just plays safe. I actually do like her, and like the new album sound, but again she let's herself to be overinflated with stuff like this, american idol and on and on, insted of going for hard work touring and TV shows that would be a real challenge for her in the musicianship department and not just in the media department. Sure the Opry is a big challenge, but it does sounds more like an image asset to get the respect that she should get by just playing gigs on and on... and then maybe...

Laziness is a musician worst enemy. And to take no chances, no struggles, well... there will be no excitement, no plot, and nobody will care for you.

This was her last chance to have a career of her own, and she is ruining it. Its over for her, she will be too old for another try. So many people would have sell their souls to have the chances she had, but she was such a rich spoiled drama queen to do something of value with it.

I was so excited to think we might see her growing up as an artist at last with this new album, but errr... well I think we do know that Mr. T-Bone Burnett is such a great producer, that he can even provide with some musical integrity where there is none.

Did Lisa ever though that having an obnoxious british manager who owns half the music business will make up for a serious lack on musicians hard work area?

I guess in 5 years when she releases another record we will hear her talking and talking about all the emotional issues in her life that prevented for having the record she wanted, the musical career she wanted, but oh yeah, this next one will really be it. **** Off!!!

This is not bashing her for being Elvis daughter, this is trying to see if she has musical backbone, or is more of a media creation as most "stars" today.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 09-25-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Other talented singers aren't that lucky as they have to play years of low paying gigs before finally getting a record deal.

I wonder why Lisa was so fortunate?
    And that is exactly what makes you a good singer/musician. That was the price Elvis, The Beatles, Dylan, The Stones pay for their greatnes.

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    It can be better stated: Elvis worked his butt off. Lisa is lazy and just plays safe. I actually do like her, and like the new album sound, but again she let's herself to be overinflated with stuff like this, american idol and on and on, insted of going for hard work touring and TV shows that would be a real challenge for her in the musicianship department and not just in the media department. Sure the Opry is a big challenge, but it does sounds more like an image asset to get the respect that she should get by just playing gigs on and on... and then maybe...

Laziness is a musician worst enemy. And to take no chances, no struggles, well... there will be no excitement, no plot, and nobody will care for you.

This was her last chance to have a career of her own, and she is ruining it. Its over for her, she will be too old for another try. So many people would have sell their souls to have the chances she had, but she was such a rich spoiled drama queen to do something of value with it.

I was so excited to think we might see her growing up as an artist at last with this new album, but errr... well I think we do know that Mr. T-Bone Burnett is such a great producer, that he can even provide with some musical integrity where there is none.

Did Lisa ever though that having an obnoxious british manager who owns half the music business will make up for a serious lack on musicians hard work area?

I guess in 5 years when she releases another record we will hear her talking and talking about all the emotional issues in her life that prevented for having the record she wanted, the musical career she wanted, but oh yeah, this next one will really be it. **** Off!!!

This is not bashing her for being Elvis daughter, this is trying to see if she has musical backbone, or is more of a media creation as most "stars" today.
    Elvis did work his butt off, but if we are all honest....there were periods where he did not-he coasted, he played around with his musicians, he just did not mount a total attack on his performances. He did not want to learn new material for his concerts after 73, he became bored, and he became set in his way of constructing his show-he doubted changing his sets.....so he did not change......just as in life he doubted many things and so he could not change. He let the jumpsuits become the showstoppers in some cases-that was the change...he let the power ballads become where he put his all out effort, or How Great Thou Art...he coasted, and we still ate it up-so we are partly to blame.
    He was not taking risks, he was not taking chances in the movie years, very few non movie songs during those years
    Now before the Elvis world throws me out on my ear I try to have a level of understanding for these things that happened
    Let me say again Elvis became bored, he became stymied and after 1973 did not like recording and just began to coast. He easily fell into ruts, and once he fell it took huge things to bring him out. Some might say he became "lazy" in his performances. He was not taking risks not taking chances he was dependent upon what he felt worked. His voice expanded, his range grew-when he choice to engage it.
    I have been accused of being "in the understanding crowd"......yes I will agree with that...... and wear it as a badge of honor.
    Everyone does have a right to voice opinions and mine takes the view that there are 2 sides to every story and that includes everyone we speak of including Elvis, Lisa, Priscilla etc.....there are factors and reasons for each person being who they are.(not excuses-real life factors)
    Elvis was not perfect and he had personality flaws that I have many times tried to point out probably went back to childhood, he had medical problems such as the congenital ganglionic fold in his colon that worsened as he aged, he had a super poor childhood, overprotective mother, his father was not a strong person in many ways, he was an only child who was spoiled to an extent by his mother, he had a predilection for addiction that seems to have some roots in his genes, as did heart disease....listing all these things is not to criticize Elvis it is to point out "a level of understanding" for who he was, his mental and personalilty flaws, some of his health issues, his dependence on medications etc.........and any time I have pointed these out various things "trying to show some understanding for who he was"...who he became...very few people here have taken much issue with my points over time as real life factors in his makeup that Elvis had little control over-they were there IE- no one controls who their parents are, their financial situation in childhood, nor their genes......all affected him in ways we (or he)cannot totally understand...but they affected him.
    I understand this......I understand we all have similar lists in some way shape or form that contributes quite a bit-to the people we become.
    Well my understanding of Elvis is no different than my trying to understand all the others, myself or anyone really....I do not think that is a wrong approach to looking at people....trying to understand is better in my estimation than just judgement with no real consideration for the things that create who we are.
    As far as Lisa being lazy-in the days of Elvis-3 singles a year, and a couple soundtrack albums a year was the norm (and the soundtracks were mostly lackluster music with a few good songs), same for the other artists, Beatles had 2-3 singles a year and a couple albums that was the norm...in the 80s it became longer and longer for albums to be produced by artists-2-3 years and yes some artists as long as 4-5...singles became a lost art that has all but become non existent really...the albums are the big thing and artists today take forever to release new ones.....I agree to me its too long...to me it seems lazy....compared to 3 singles a year and 2 full albums...but that is the norm for 2012 so Lisa is not doing anything that most artists have been doing for years. Her career I agree has not been fully engaged...she has kids, she has personal things that have jumped into her path, Nicholas Cage, marital ups and downs, involvement with Gracelands activities etc......all things that have taken time from her full engagement toward her career.
    Every star-every artist has had some mountains and molehills to climb that have been in their way-Sinatras personality got him into fights, issues with unsavory underworld characters, marital problems with many women........and actually losing his voice for a period in the 50s where he felt his career was over-yet the truth was he had a career that lasted several decades and he overcame all the obstacles and flaws to rise over and over
    but he was written off as too unstable in his life, too unpredictable many many times etc.....Lisa is still in her careers infancy, she is still a very young person (comparitive to me anyway)and I am not ready to say she is done, she has been given her chance and blown it...because I truely believe she has some talent-(not like her father, not like Sinatra, not like Beatles but as good as many current acts) I do not just say that to take a position..... I hear it and read it in her lyrics.
    But not everyone has to like her, not everyone has to agree.....my trying to understand these situations and people involved is, I hope, not seen as just being argumentative....it is just what I say it is trying to point out a level of understanding for all people and situations.
    If I have my own pet person to gripe at it would be Col Parker....but I feel he is no different.... something made him who he was-I just do not really know what they may have been since he was such the Snowman.
    Hopefully some of you have an understanding of who I am, and what made me....since I have been pretty much an open book since my first post here....... but perhaps not, regardless I try to be objective.
    Work in Progress!

Elvis did work his butt off, but if we are all honest....there were periods where he did not-he coasted, he played around with his musicians, he just did not mount a total attack on his performances. He did not want to learn new material for his concerts after 73, he became bored, and he became set in his way of constructing his show-he doubted changing his sets.....so he did not change......just as in life he doubted many things and so he could not change. He let the jumpsuits become the showstoppers in some cases-that was the change...he let the power ballads become where he put his all out effort, or How Great Thou Art...he coasted, and we still ate it up-so we are partly to blame.
    He was not taking risks, he was not taking chances in the movie years, very few non movie songs during those years
    Now before the Elvis world throws me out on my ear I try to have a level of understanding for these things that happened
    Let me say again Elvis became bored, he became stymied and after 1973 did not like recording and just began to coast. He easily fell into ruts, and once he fell it took huge things to bring him out. Some might say he became "lazy" in his performances. He was not taking risks not taking chances he was dependent upon what he felt worked. His voice expanded, his range grew-when he choice to engage it.
    I have been accused of being "in the understanding crowd"......yes I will agree with that...... and wear it as a badge of honor.
    Everyone does have a right to voice opinions and mine takes the view that there are 2 sides to every story and that includes everyone we speak of including Elvis, Lisa, Priscilla etc.....there are factors and reasons for each person being who they are.(not excuses-real life factors)
    Elvis was not perfect and he had personality flaws that I have many times tried to point out probably went back to childhood, he had medical problems such as the congenital ganglionic fold in his colon that worsened as he aged, he had a super poor childhood, overprotective mother, his father was not a strong person in many ways, he was an only child who was spoiled to an extent by his mother, he had a predilection for addiction that seems to have some roots in his genes, as did heart disease....listing all these things is not to criticize Elvis it is to point out "a level of understanding" for who he was, his mental and personalilty flaws, some of his health issues, his dependence on medications etc.........and any time I have pointed these out various things "trying to show some understanding for who he was"...who he became...very few people here have taken much issue with my points over time as real life factors in his makeup that Elvis had little control over-they were there IE- no one controls who their parents are, their financial situation in childhood, nor their genes......all affected him in ways we (or he)cannot totally understand...but they affected him.
    I understand this......I understand we all have similar lists in some way shape or form that contributes quite a bit-to the people we become.
    Well my understanding of Elvis is no different than my trying to understand all the others, myself or anyone really....I do not think that is a wrong approach to looking at people....trying to understand is better in my estimation than just judgement with no real consideration for the things that create who we are.
    As far as Lisa being lazy-in the days of Elvis-3 singles a year, and a couple soundtrack albums a year was the norm (and the soundtracks were mostly lackluster music with a few good songs), same for the other artists, Beatles had 2-3 singles a year and a couple albums that was the norm...in the 80s it became longer and longer for albums to be produced by artists-2-3 years and yes some artists as long as 4-5...singles became a lost art that has all but become non existent really...the albums are the big thing and artists today take forever to release new ones.....I agree to me its too long...to me it seems lazy....compared to 3 singles a year and 2 full albums...but that is the norm for 2012 so Lisa is not doing anything that most artists have been doing for years. Her career I agree has not been fully engaged...she has kids, she has personal things that have jumped into her path, Nicholas Cage, marital ups and downs, involvement with Gracelands activities etc......all things that have taken time from her full engagement toward her career.
    Every star-every artist has had some mountains and molehills to climb that have been in their way-Sinatras personality got him into fights, issues with unsavory underworld characters, marital problems with many women........and actually losing his voice for a period in the 50s where he felt his career was over-yet the truth was he had a career that lasted several decades and he overcame all the obstacles and flaws to rise over and over
    but he was written off as too unstable in his life, too unpredictable many many times etc.....Lisa is still in her careers infancy, she is still a very young person (comparitive to me anyway)and I am not ready to say she is done, she has been given her chance and blown it...because I truely believe she has some talent-(not like her father, not like Sinatra, not like Beatles but as good as many current acts) I do not just say that to take a position..... I hear it and read it in her lyrics.
    But not everyone has to like her, not everyone has to agree.....my trying to understand these situations and people involved is, I hope, not seen as just being argumentative....it is just what I say it is trying to point out a level of understanding for all people and situations.
    If I have my own pet person to gripe at it would be Col Parker....but I feel he is no different.... something made him who he was-I just do not really know what they may have been since he was such the Snowman.
    Hopefully some of you have an understanding of who I am, and what made me....since I have been pretty much an open book since my first post here....... but perhaps not, regardless I try to be objective.
    Na... you didn't get it. The fact that today most artist (although that is changing) release an album every 3 years while back in the 50's/60's 3 albums a year was the norm, had anything to do with me saying Lisa is a lazy musician. I'm talking about a formative period of hard work that temper your talent for good, Elvis, Beatles, Dylan, The Stones,worked their *** out to get their sound and musical knowledge way before they even get a proper record contract. I'm talking about hours and hours of practice, rehearsing, and just go on stage and try to win the crowd or else... you might not even get a meal, for sure not a career. Many talented people today has been through that too. Lisa hardly ever been that dedicated, its a bad joke to only suggest that. And don't blame her emotional troubles and stones in the way for that, cause many big big artist had it worst (like real problems not just hollywood people ones) and even then, they shined all the way in their music.

Yes, Elvis has many character flaws, and yes he did acted way lazy many times in his career, and he did payed the price the hard way, he almost ruined his career forever in the 60's and the same after '73. But yet, when he decided to work, he was one of the hardest working man on the music scene, let's say the '68 TV Special, yes, it was publicity, it was a staged event to get the public attention again, it was pretty much like this Carnegie Hall stuff, a big bunch of media bullshit to get respect, yet, behind all that Elvis worked his ***-out during that special, and you can tell that at the very first note he sang, big plus: he had all that musical learning from his first 7 years. Elvis shined when he wanted to shine becuase no matter if he was lazy for 5 years, there where other 8 years of extreme hard work before, and there other 5 years of hard work after. Lisa? yes is 40 years old and she's still an amateur with a big production behind to hide it. She's auntie glass of milk having a hobbie, with good ol' Simon providing a huge machinery to make her look nice.

Yes there where times Elvis didn't took challenges, and he was to much of a coward to look for them, but hey, really? You have never notice his devoted dedication to cultivate his voice though his whole career? The way he reinvented him self at least 4 times in 20 years. Yes there where times he acted as a mediocre ***** if you like, but not though allhis 40 years old my friend, Lisa is older that Elvis ever lived, and she still talks about discovering her voice? give me a freakin' breake. Sorry, but she has been a mediocre musician through 45 odd years. That is not disliking her as a person, it is just what it is.

In fact I do like her so much, and I do think she has some talent, but hey, in any art form, talent is only 25%, the rest is just hard work, she lacks that other 75% and not even T-Bone's magic and Simon's big fancy smoke curtains can make up for that. You can tell how akward and amateurish she looks on stage when she is no longer protected by the studio four walls, if she had 23 years old, but hey, she's going for the fifth floor. And that is sad, I really was excited by this album, I really had big hopes for this one, but she is repeating old mistakes. Believe me, she does Idol cause she can't handle a From the Basement full show.

I'll take Cat Power anytime, sure, you might not like her voice either, you can say she's less talented that Lisa, well I might even agree, but Cat is all about hard work and overcome shitty times, and that's the heart on her sound. Lisa is lazy, her music is a dam hobby to her, and that has anything to do with the spelling of her last name or her parents faults or Michaels impotence, or Cage being a weirdo who make her cry.

TCB Mafia

Na... you didn't get it. The fact that today most artist (although that is changing) release an album every 3 years while back in the 50's/60's 3 albums a year was the norm, had anything to do with me saying Lisa is a lazy musician. I'm talking about a formative period of hard work that temper your talent for good, Elvis, Beatles, Dylan, The Stones,worked their *** out to get their sound and musical knowledge way before they even get a proper record contract. I'm talking about hours and hours of practice, rehearsing, and just go on stage and try to win the crowd or else... you might not even get a meal, for sure not a career. Many talented people today has been through that too. Lisa hardly ever been that dedicated, its a bad joke to only suggest that. And don't blame her emotional troubles and stones in the way for that, cause many big big artist had it worst (like real problems not just hollywood people ones) and even then, they shined all the way in their music.
    Yeah the way Lisa talks music is a hobby.

If she's not busy with her kids or whatever she'll make a record.

Well like you've stated before, she is too old for this to really work for her. Harsh but true, kids today do not want to see 40 something singers, especially female ones at that. Todays artist have a life span of about 5 years then drop off the radar or continue to produce more of the same stuff. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but even someone like Madonna doesn't have the same status she enjoyed back in the 80s or even the 90s. I cringe when I see her and I was a huge huge fan back in the 80s.

Unfortunately, Lisa has left it too late to seriously pursue this path and have an adequate level of success, but if she's happy with this, I won't knock her for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    [/B]

Well like you've stated before, she is too old for this to really work for her. Harsh but true, kids today do not want to see 40 something singers, especially female ones at that. Todays artist have a life span of about 5 years then drop off the radar or continue to produce more of the same stuff. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but even someone like Madonna doesn't have the same status she enjoyed back in the 80s or even the 90s. I cringe when I see her and I was a huge huge fan back in the 80s.

Unfortunately, Lisa has left it too late to seriously pursue this path and have an adequate level of success, but if she's happy with this, I won't knock her for it.
    Age won't be a problem if she had a solid musical past, as I said, Cat Power is in her prime, and a lot of young people is interested in her, and she's same age as Lisa. Hell! Seasick Steve breaktrhough at 65 years old or something, but he has been a dedicated musician since he was a young cat having day jobs. Lisa has been "busy" doing anything but music.

When this new album was about to be released it sounded good to me, and I had a lot of hope, but then again, she's not doing any serious touring, she's going for easy stuff as Idol instead of going for real challenges, and her live performance away from studio gimmicks, reveal that she hasn't improved her stage persona a bit since the last one, well how could she? in fact age make her look more ackwards instead of giving her the benefit of experience. SAD but to me this was her last chance, and is not working, and there is no last name to blame, only a serious lack of doing your homework.

This Carnegie Hall seems like nothing but a big publicity stunt to give her some serious musical credibility, I hope she at least mind to upgrade her stage persona a bit for it, but really? you can't do a life long work in 3 months, no matter who's your producer/managment. She's not up to it, the sad thing is: she does have talent, so what a waste.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 09-26-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Yes, Elvis has many character flaws, and yes he did acted way lazy many times in his career, and he did payed the price the hard way, he almost ruined his career forever in the 60's and the same after '73. But yet, when he decided to work, he was one of the hardest working man on the music scene, let's say the '68 TV Special, yes, it was publicity, it was a staged event to get the public attention again, it was pretty much like this Carnegie Hall stuff, a big bunch of media bullshit to get respect, yet, behind all that Elvis worked his ***-out during that special, and you can tell that at the very first note he sang, big plus: he had all that musical learning from his first 7 years. Elvis shined when he wanted to shine becuase no matter if he was lazy for 5 years, there where other 8 years of extreme hard work before, and there other 5 years of hard work after. Lisa? yes is 40 years old and she's still an amateur with a big production behind to hide it. She's auntie glass of milk having a hobbie, with good ol' Simon providing a huge machinery to make her look nice.

Yes there where times Elvis didn't took challenges, and he was to much of a coward to look for them, but hey, really? You have never notice his devoted dedication to cultivate his voice though his whole career? The way he reinvented him self at least 4 times in 20 years. Yes there where times he acted as a mediocre ***** if you like, but not though allhis 40 years old my friend, Lisa is older that Elvis ever lived, and she still talks about discovering her voice? give me a freakin' breake. Sorry, but she has been a mediocre musician through 45 odd years. That is not disliking her as a person, it is just what it is.

In fact I do like her so much, and I do think she has some talent, but hey, in any art form, talent is only 25%, the rest is just hard work, she lacks that other 75% and not even T-Bone's magic and Simon's big fancy smoke curtains can make up for that. You can tell how akward and amateurish she looks on stage when she is no longer protected by the studio four walls, if she had 23 years old, but hey, she's going for the fifth floor. And that is sad, I really was excited by this album, I really had big hopes for this one, but she is repeating old mistakes. Believe me, she does Idol cause she can't handle a From the Basement full show.

I'll take Cat Power anytime, sure, you might not like her voice either, you can say she's less talented that Lisa, well I might even agree, but Cat is all about hard work and overcome shitty times, and that's the heart on her sound. Lisa is lazy, her music is a dam hobby to her, and that has anything to do with the spelling of her last name or her parents faults or Michaels impotence, or Cage being a weirdo who make her cry.
    Well as I said we all have an opinion, and all have the right to voice it but with due respect my friend the things that Lisa says are problems....or have impeded her.....in her mind are real actual factors in her life-that in her mind do have a cause affect.....just because someone "outside of her life" does not see them as real problems, real factors real reasons does not change the truth that they have in her situation been factors that have affected her life and career.
    There is and old saying I have quoted many times
    "No man (or woman) is an island"
    But to go even further-even islands...isolated, unihabited are affected by things they have no control over....by the suns heat, by the tides power, by underground volcanic activity that may increase their size or sink them lock stock and palm tree........and not every island will react exactly precisely like another because they are not sitting in exactly the same location, because they have been blessed with more trees more vegetation or have more rock and craggy ground....IE sun, tides and volcanoes do not pose the problems that the other island ends up with.
    Thats the same with people, "Unless you've walked in their shoes, seen thru their eyes......" according to Elvis.
    But thats just my view trying to understand each unique situation for all these different people.
    I agree Elvis worked his tail off but the sun, the tides, the volcanic action of life at times affected that process and changed his island...many he had little control over IE upbringing, wealth, parents, formative years that we have learned create 90% of the mental process that you use for the rest of your life.....that goes for us all.
    Sorry we disagree on this.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Yeah the way Lisa talks music is a hobby.

If she's not busy with her kids or whatever she'll make a record.
    Well the last time I checked there are laws on how often you have to record, nor about pursuing a career at any speed you decide you want to thats the beauty of freedom. Of course the proof of career or not will be in sales....eventually if sales are not adequate, if she has no record company and wants to self produce and distribute thats also her decision to make down the road.
    She is not the only artist with a famous parent to wrestle with which direction her career should go nor with the shadow/depth of feeling for their famous parent.
    Hank Williams Jr-his mother for years kept him mostly singing his fathers music, dressing like his dad and singing in his dads style-it took time for him to finally make the break and revolt against using his fathers music and developing his own style and writing his own songs...but he had the same conflict of mentality...hated the comparisons to his dad....but constantly writes songs that bring up his father....eventually after he was a success in his own right he made a video that blended old country show performance of his fathers song "Tear in My Beer" with new footage made to look old so they dueted. The need to prove ones self, against the need to love and acknowledge your roots (father) thats the way I see it for people such as this.
    Williams Jr has really worked hard and hit a chord with country fans at the "Outlaw" phase of the 70s and has totally overcome any conflict it seems.
    But his start in music was not a meteoric rise-he had to break out of the situation with his mother and then find his stride.
    Whether Lisa can do this I admit is debateable.
    Work in Progress!

Well as I said we all have an opinion, and all have the right to voice it but with due respect my friend the things that Lisa says are problems....or have impeded her.....in her mind are real actual factors in her life-that in her mind do have a cause affect.....just because someone "outside of her life" does not see them as real problems, real factors real reasons does not change the truth that they have in her situation been factors that have affected her life and career.
    There is and old saying I have quoted many times
    "No man (or woman) is an island"
    But to go even further-even islands...isolated, unihabited are affected by things they have no control over....by the suns heat, by the tides power, by underground volcanic activity that may increase their size or sink them lock stock and palm tree........and not every island will react exactly precisely like another because they are not sitting in exactly the same location, because they have been blessed with more trees more vegetation or have more rock and craggy ground....IE sun, tides and volcanoes do not pose the problems that the other island ends up with.
    Thats the same with people, "Unless you've walked in their shoes, seen thru their eyes......" according to Elvis.
    But thats just my view trying to understand each unique situation for all these different people.
    I agree Elvis worked his tail off but the sun, the tides, the volcanic action of life at times affected that process and changed his island...many he had little control over IE upbringing, wealth, parents, formative years that we have learned create 90% of the mental process that you use for the rest of your life.....that goes for us all.
    Sorry we disagree on this.
    All right! She has real problems, I hear you now and I agree with what you stated here, but still, that's not excuse to do your homework if you want to be a real musician. Many great singers had it worst, and they still where great. So???

Williams Jr has really worked hard and hit a chord with country fans...
    Yes he did. That's why he is a musician on its own, with real musical backbone, and got respect by the people the hard way.

A lot of hard work and dedication, with translates into musical quality, a strong stage persona and tons of passion. Exactly what Lisa does not have and his huge managment machine can't provide with this Carnegie Hall bull...

Yes he did. That's why he is a musician on its own, with real musical backbone, and got respect by the people the hard way.

A lot of hard work and dedication, with translates into musical quality, a strong stage persona and tons of passion. Exactly what Lisa does not have and his huge managment machine can't provide with this Carnegie Hall bull...
    But you are missing my point...he did not start out working hard, nor did he start out with the winning "Outlaw" image, nor with his own songs-he was managed by him mom who had a "cause and affect on his developement as an artist" for those several years he followed her managment he wore his fathers suits, he sang his fathers songs, he listened to those advising him and he went thru the motions.....so his hard work, commitment to music and his dedication which now translates into musical quality-came after his years of going thru the motions and not having the will to revolt, not having the strength to find his own place, not having the confidence to fully commit.
    Now Lisa has only been at this for less time than Hank wasted as an imitation of his father-he did finally make that revolt, find his own image and write songs he wanted to record......despite a dismall start.
    She may or may not have be able to find that image, voice and style to follow in Hank Jrs "Family Tradition" so to speak but she is still less years into her career than Hank Jr wasted. So time will tell my friend.
    This thread has been a diversion for me-my mom is dying and I thank you for spirited debate that takes my thoughts off the reality of most of my days this last week.
    Work in Progress!

But you are missing my point...he did not start out working hard, nor did he start out with the winning "Outlaw" image, nor with his own songs-he was managed by him mom who had a "cause and affect on his developement as an artist" for those several years he followed her managment he wore his fathers suits, he sang his fathers songs, he listened to those advising him and he went thru the motions.....so his hard work, commitment to music and his dedication which now translates into musical quality-came after his years of going thru the motions and not having the will to revolt, not having the strength to find his own place, not having the confidence to fully commit.
    Now Lisa has only been at this for less time than Hank wasted as an imitation of his father-he did finally make that revolt, find his own image and write songs he wanted to record......despite a dismall start.
    She may or may not have be able to find that image, voice and style to follow in Hank Jrs "Family Tradition" so to speak but she is still less years into her career than Hank Jr wasted. So time will tell my friend.
    This thread has been a diversion for me-my mom is dying and I thank you for spirited debate that takes my thoughts off the reality of most of my days this last week.
    Yet, in the days he was an impersonactor of his father, still that has some musical integrity, as it that was no easy stuff, it was music school 101, it was still being inmerse in music, and it was hard work, and it serve as the solid music soil in which he steps his own sound today. Lisa doesn't has that either. She has been little into musicianship life.

Yet as I said, I hear you, and I had big expectations that she did finally got it with this album, but she's making old mistakes instead of movin' forward. AND IS GETTIN' LATE!!! Its gettin' late and she's not workin' hard enough to catch the train, instead she's lettin the publicity machine to supply for that, and that's a big mistake, that's my point. Is not a problem of mixing her voice right in a live setting, is a problem of her not really knowing what to do with her on stage. Is so amateurish.

I'm not a Lisa hate her, I do like her, but Hey! this adulation from the fans (Elvis fans, are there Lisa's fans on their own?), this free opening the doors of big halls and all, it is Carless love again, if you know what I mean.

Its all and always friendly debate man, never take it in other way. Sorry to hear about your mom, all my best wishes for you both. I know how its like, my prayers are with you.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 09-27-2012 at 12:23 AM.

TCB Mafia

Well the last time I checked there are laws on how often you have to record, nor about pursuing a career at any speed you decide you want to thats the beauty of freedom. Of course the proof of career or not will be in sales....eventually if sales are not adequate, if she has no record company and wants to self produce and distribute thats also her decision to make down the road.
    Lisa can do whatever she wishes.

Still Raised on rock has a point that Lisa isn't working on improving as a singer or a performer.

Lisa's label may very well be displeased with the sales of Storm & Grace and that could put a stop to any plans she has for putting out another record.

I think Lisa will get to put out one more record then it will bomb and it'll be the last one she ever makes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast