Thread: Forbes Magazine Says "Graceland at 30 - Better Than Ever"

Forbes Magazine Says "Graceland at 30 - Better Than Ever"

A leading source in business news and financial information calls "Graceland at 30 - Better Than Ever." In a new article on Forbes.com, the high-profile magazine looks at the many advantages of adding Graceland to your bucket list and how music lovers will get their money's worth on a day spen...

More...

Re: Forbes Magazine Says "Graceland at 30 - Better Than Ever"

A leading source in business news and financial information calls "Graceland at 30 - Better Than Ever." In a new article on Forbes.com, the high-profile magazine looks at the many advantages of adding Graceland to your bucket list and how music lovers will get their money's worth on a day spent at the king's home.

"While devoted Elvis fans might spend an entire day examining the many exhibits, the average visitor can easily do Graceland well in three hours or less on a normal day, and as tourist attractions go, it is three hours very well spent," says Forbes contributor Larry Olmsted.

Olmsted compares his trip to Graceland to his first time visiting Elvis' home in 1990. He looks at the many exhibits on display and how the expansion of Graceland has grown tremendously over the years, all while continuing to preserve the legacy of the King of Rock 'n' Roll.

"Graceland is a very interesting and extremely well run attraction that is a seminal part of American culture and speaks volumes to music, celebrity, and yes, history. But admittedly, most of all to Elvis."

For those of you that have not been, I hope someday you all can visit ELVIS' home, it is an amazing journey and experience.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

It certainly is, can't wait to go back.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like a PR move to me. Maybe EPE or Core paid them to write that. It goes on all the time in the world of business. It wouldn't surprise me.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    I'm sorry, but this sounds like a PR move to me. Maybe EPE or Core paid them to write that. It goes on all the time in the world of business. It wouldn't surprise me.
    Maybe so, but regardless it is a wonderful and amazing place, have you been there my friend?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Maybe so, but regardless it is a wonderful and amazing place, have you been there my friend?
    Yes, I agree, it is nice, and yes, I have been. Just a couple years ago to be exact and a few times before that since back in the 90's. Very little has been added or changed since back then with the exception of the radio booth and a new attraction that allows people to make a video with Elvis. Outside of that, nothing's new.

My friend who I went to school with who is my Memphis source, says that if the attraction wasn't along the busy boulevard like a strip mall and not so overpriced that more people locally might be intrigued to go. It looks more like a tacky tourist trap than a historical museum. The immediate area that EPE now owns is NOT attractive to the average visitor to the area. The hotel is a dump that was once a budget motel. That's why I felt that the article was a PR move by EPE/Core.

Yes, I agree, it is nice, and yes, I have been. Just a couple years ago to be exact and a few times before that since back in the 90's. Very little has been added or changed since back then with the exception of the radio booth and a new attraction that allows people to make a video with Elvis. Outside of that, nothing's new.

My friend who I went to school with who is my Memphis source, says that if the attraction wasn't along the busy boulevard like a strip mall and not so overpriced that more people locally might be intrigued to go. It looks more like a tacky tourist trap than a historical museum. The immediate area that EPE now owns is NOT attractive to the average visitor to the area. The hotel is a dump that was once a budget motel. That's why I felt that the article was a PR move by EPE/Core.
    Yes, you are probably right about the strip mall, but it has been that way for along time, I have hope one day it will change, but who knows how or when, such a shame really.

Well I'm surprised by your reaction!
    The Forbes family fortune is huge-they are above being bought or sold for PR purposes. Forbes opinions and judgements are considered "Tops in the Financial World" so I would not sell them short.
    Steve Forbes once said his father spent $5 million on a birthday party for himself in Tangiers.
    They are rich Republicans and Steve Forbes has spent millions of his own fortune running for President twice-he is a very principled and honest man.
    (even though his politics and mine are not the same)
    This is not the Star or Enquirer we are talking about.....or World Globe.
    Forbes has a very impressive list of economist, Editors, and journalists who research their subjects to be certain that they "get it right"
    Forbes reputation is above reproach to those who understand the publication.
    Work in Progress!

A little history of Forbes to better gauge their opinion-you do not get the reputation they have by not telling it like it is.
    Their lists of richest, best, highest earnings are the "source" for everyone else.
    ........Through its namesake magazine, Forbes Inc. has enjoyed a long history as one of the most successful and recognized publishers of financial news and information and ranks as one of the top 15 highest-grossing magazine publishers. The architect behind much of Forbes's growth was Malcolm S. Forbes, who oversaw the company from the 1960s until his death in 1990. Since that time, both Malcolm's son Steve and Casper Weinberger have chaired the company, which in addition to publishing the biweekly Forbes, also produces Forbes FYI, Forbes ASAP, and American Heritage. Privately owned, Forbes Inc. continues to be family-run, with Steve Forbes serving as president and editor-in-chief, Timothy Forbes as COO, Christopher Forbes as vice-chairman, and Robert L. Forbes as president of Forbes Global and Forbes
    Work in Progress!

You see local people "may" feel that way-my daughter and her friends loved Graceland when they visited a few years back (all aged in their mid 20)
    MY brothers and their wives have visited several times since 1986-most recently just in April....they are amazed at the additions and changes.
    Local people to any attraction never see it as the bulk of the tourists do-it is so close they see it all the time and it is no longer special.
    Luckily the "local people" still benefit from the tax dollars, and tourist dollars that help their city pay its bills (and keeps their own taxes lower) Graceland does not depend on the locals for its visitors-the world provides them......but Memphis depends upon Graceland for a huge part of its tourism. Shame "Locals" do not see it from a better perspective.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Yes it is Tommy-special is not a big enough word for the feeling you get walking in-that was my daughters line to me after visiting there.
    The article will help keep the positive vibes of the 35th celebration going, for why people should visit and what they can expect.
    Work in Progress!

Local people to any attraction never see it as the bulk of the tourists do-it is so close they see it all the time and it is no longer special.
    Luckily the "local people" still benefit from the tax dollars, and tourist dollars that help their city pay its bills (and keeps their own taxes lower) Graceland does not depend on the locals for its visitors-the world provides them......but Memphis depends upon Graceland for a huge part of its tourism. Shame "Locals" do not see it from a better perspective.
    Agree with you...........

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Well I'm surprised by your reaction!
    The Forbes family fortune is huge-they are above being bought or sold for PR purposes. Forbes opinions and judgements are considered "Tops in the Financial World" so I would not sell them short.
    Steve Forbes once said his father spent $5 million on a birthday party for himself in Tangiers.
    They are rich Republicans and Steve Forbes has spent millions of his own fortune running for President twice-he is a very principled and honest man.
    (even though his politics and mine are not the same)
    This is not the Star or Enquirer we are talking about.....or World Globe.
    Forbes has a very impressive list of economist, Editors, and journalists who research their subjects to be certain that they "get it right"
    Forbes reputation is above reproach to those who understand the publication.
    Forbes also built up Robert FX Sillerman too like he was Bill Gates and we see how that turned out.

Forbes also built up Robert FX Sillerman too like he was Bill Gates and we see how that turned out.
    ........so did many others who have been crying for years about some type of major move to renovate Memphis-and specifically the area near Graceland........I was not one of those.
    Sillerman moved into the "entertainment field" that was not his area of expertise....it happens.
    Regardless Forbes is tops in its field, quoted around the world and you do not gain that measure of notoriety by allowing your articles to be used as PR pieces for money (especially when you are as rich as the Forbes family is already) Thats my point.
    Work in Progress!

Loving elvis

I haven't been to graceland yet but will get there one day. Thanks for posting the information.