Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis' popularity vs Michael Jackson's

Elvis' popularity vs Michael Jackson's

Yesterday was Michael Jackson's 54th birthday and there was some media mention but nothing like the world media coverage on Elvis' 35th anniversary. There was also a small vigil gathering outside of his childhood home in Gary, IN. His 'children" (I quote that because they're not really his biological kids) were there to greet them then sign autographs. The oldest, Paris Jackson told the small gathering of fans "you guys are amazing!". If she thinks 25-50 people is "amazing" for being at the vigil of the man who is supposed to be the almighty "King of pop" only 3 years after he passed, then I wonder what she thought about the 75,000 people who attended the candlelight vigil at Graceland for the 35th anniversary of Elvis' death? Heck, James Brown probably gets a bigger vigil.

Anyway, this isn't a bash-MJ thread. It's just to point out and show just how loved and remembered that Elvis still is worldwide when he draws a mass crowd to his home opposed to what MJ's fans do for him. This proves once and for all that there will NEVER EVER be another human like Elvis. His longevity will go on after all of us are dead and gone. Now that we have reached Mars, it wouldn't surprise me if Elvis' music is the first ever to be played on Mars one day.

P.S. there are over 50 Elvis statues worldwide, one in Isreal even! How many MJ, Beatles or Sinatra statues are there?

Long live the REAL and TRUE King....ELV1S!!!

Below, the vigil for Michael Jackson last night in Gary, IN.

Below, the candlelight vigil for the 35th anniversary at Graceland in Memphis, TN
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Re: Elvis' popularity vs Michael Jackson's

Last edited by Tommy; 08-30-2012 at 01:07 PM.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Yesterday was Michael Jackson's 54th birthday and there was some media mention but nothing like the world media coverage on Elvis' 35th anniversary. There was also a small vigil gathering outside of his childhood home in Gary, IN. His 'children" (I quote that because they're not really his biological kids) were there to greet them then sign autographs. The oldest, Paris Jackson told the small gathering of fans "you guys are amazing!". If she thinks 25-50 people is "amazing" for being at the vigil of the man who is supposed to be the almighty "King of pop" only 3 years after he passed, then I wonder what she thought about the 75,000 people who attended the candlelight vigil at Graceland for the 35th anniversary of Elvis' death? Heck, James Brown probably gets a bigger vigil.

Anyway, this isn't a bash-MJ thread. It's just to point out and show just how loved and remembered that Elvis still is worldwide when he draws a mass crowd to his home opposed to what MJ's fans do for him. This proves once and for all that there will NEVER EVER be another human like Elvis. His longevity will go on after all of us are dead and gone. Now that we have reached Mars, it wouldn't surprise me if Elvis' music is the first ever to be played on Mars one day.

P.S. there are over 50 Elvis statues worldwide, one in Isreal even! How many MJ, Beatles or Sinatra statues are there?

Long live the REAL and TRUE King....ELV1S!!!

That would be great!!
    Last edited by Jumpsuit Junkie; 08-30-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: fixed the quotation box
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

No secret to all of this....Elvis is the most loved!

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    No secret to all of this....Elvis is the most loved!

too true Diane...............

and thanks Viva......didnt know it was Jacko's b-day yesterday.......lol
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

It's a shame that Jackson's fans haven't rallied round and made a bigger effort. I suppose fame can be a fleeting thing and when some stars pass on the legacy can take a knock. Only time will tell if the Jackson fans can somehow centralise their pilgrimage and make something from the ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    It's a shame that Jackson's fans haven't rallied round and made a bigger effort. I suppose fame can be a fleeting thing and when some stars pass on the legacy can take a knock. Only time will tell if the Jackson fans can somehow centralise their pilgrimage and make something from the ashes.
    I think Graceland is central to the rally of Elvis fans-it is central to his life-the most precious place on earth to him from the moment he bought it.
    That makes fans want to go there, to feel the love he felt there and left behind there.
    Perhaps Neverland could someday fulfill that feeling for MJ fans.....althought it is such a circus/amusement park type atmosphere from the photos I have seen.
    I am not sure the love MJ had for Neverland is on par with the almost spiritual love Elvis felt for Graceland....that may be the difference.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post

it wouldn't surprise me if Elvis' music is the first ever to be played on Mars one day.
    It was done this week.

But unfortunately it wasn't Elvis- it was Will I. Am's song "Reach For The Stars" which was played from Mars on 29 August.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I think Graceland is central to the rally of Elvis fans-it is central to his life-the most precious place on earth to him from the moment he bought it.
    That makes fans want to go there, to feel the love he felt there and left behind there.
    Perhaps Neverland could someday fulfill that feeling for MJ fans.....althought it is such a circus/amusement park type atmosphere from the photos I have seen.
    I am not sure the love MJ had for Neverland is on par with the almost spiritual love Elvis felt for Graceland....that may be the difference.
    This is so true, Graceland is such a special place.

The last I heard they were trying to sell Neverland because Jackson left behind so much debt.

RIP Tommy

Here is the information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverland_Ranch

It can never be like ELVIS' Graceland, it just will not happen, just my thoughts. ELVIS is and always will be the greatest artist that ever lived. Graceland was the dearest place in HIS heart.

Last edited by Tommy; 08-30-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Here is the information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverland_Ranch

It can never be like ELVIS' Graceland, it just will not happen, just my thoughts. ELVIS is and always will be the greatest artist that ever lived. Graceland was the dearest place in HIS heart.

Its so funny in picture comparison-Graceland seems regal and stately in appearance-Neverland seems like a carnival waiting for people to line up to ride the roller coaster.
    And to think in the past Elvis's Graceland was called "garish and hillbillly" in style and appearance.
    Work in Progress!

I never thought Graceland was garish, in fact, I found it as graceful as it's name. People who called that should look around at some of the other star's homes. Neverland does look like a theme park.

Its so funny in picture comparison-Graceland seems regal and stately in appearance-Neverland seems like a carnival waiting for people to line up to ride the roller coaster.
    And to think in the past Elvis's Graceland was called "garish and hillbillly" in style and appearance.
    No doubt. Jackson's Neverland ranch looks like a poor man's copy of Disneyland. Graceland looks classy, elegant and stylish. Everything that Elvis was.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post
    It was done this week.

But unfortunately it wasn't Elvis- it was Will I. Am's song "Reach For The Stars" which was played from Mars on 29 August.
    How very unfortunate for Mars

Cadillac King

I wonder who said that, KPM? Someone in the know?

Graceland is Classical Taste and timeless.

Did any of you watch that Martin Bashir documentary years ago? Jackos interior designs were "off the wall" I do remember seeing a Peter pan statue in there, amongst other things but one mans castle is another mans dump.

Graceland was a home not a theme park that is the biggest difference. That is why Elvis loved it so much, sure he could have purchased a bigger house later in life but it wouldn't have been a home to Elvis like Graceland was.

I think that is one reason why Graceland has that magical feel when you visit because it is not some monstrosity of junk. It is something that we all could see ourselves living in.

RIP Tommy

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    How very unfortunate for Mars
    +1

Brian

....Thanks Tommy.

Even the name of possessions says a lot about their character.
    I've always loved the name GRACELAND - Lands of grace. What elegance and timeless.
    Beautiful and noble.
    I'll Remember You!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast