Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET: 40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION" Presents Madison Square Garden

Re: "PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET: 40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION" Presents Madison Square Ga

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Here is an interesting story I ran across while trying to find info on the Mekas filming at MSG anyone ever heard of Galaxy Eclipse Productions?
    ...................In April 1972, they received a call from a guy named Tom in Palm Springs who said he was associated with Colonel Parker...Elvis Presley's manager. The Colonel wanted some film of Elvis to put together a promo film package because Elvis wanted to expand his territory for performing. Promo film would be a good tool to boost bookings. Tom wanted Galaxy Eclipse to shoot the film. Nothing fancy...just 16mm footage of Elvis performing at Madison Square Garden in June. Probably footage of the pre-concert press conference at the New York Hilton as well. The Colonel was willing to pay about double the usual fee but in typical Colonel style, Travis and Bob had to pay their own way to New York City.

Travis and Bob packed up their equipment and headed for New York in late May. Best job they ever booked. The Colonel had already advanced them money by messenger and met them at the New York Hilton. They looked over the Mercury Ballroom where the press conference was to take place. It was to be a two-camera set-up for the press conference as well as the actual concert footage. Film was to be shot of one concert only...the opening show.

Well, the day of the press conference, they showed up to set up their equipment and the Colonel told them that there were already too many reporters, cameras, tape recorders there and it had already become hectic. Forget the footage of the press conference...he could access some footage if they needed it from one of the news services who were filming.

Galaxy showed up the next day at the Garden well in advance of the actual concert. They needed time to set up cameras and other equipment and get details from Parker about the camera angles, etc. Only footage of Elvis was to be taken and not the opening acts, the Colonel made this very clear to both of them (Travis recalled that the Colonel said this about 100 times...at least!)

One camera was set up right next to the mixing desk where sound adjustments were made which probably would have been stage front about the 12th row or so. the second camera was situated to the far left side of the stage pointed directly where Elvis eventually stood at the microphone. Each camera was equipped with a 10x zoom for closer views.

Travis said that after the job was completed, each camera had shot about 1600 feet of 16mm film equalling about 36 minutes of footage. There were approximately 10 complete songs captured that evening from two different angles. The film was never forwarded to the Colonel because final payments were never made to Galaxy and Aloha from Hawaii came along several months later and was probably a better promo for Elvis than any Madison Square Garden footage could have ever been. Both owners of Galaxy tried to contact Colonel Parker even after Elvis died, to see if he wanted the footage or not. They even offered to send him 16mm copies for free. People around the Colonel either never passed on the message to him or he just was no longer interested............
    That was interesting. I bet the Colonel never got back with them following Elvis' death because of the big lawsuit against him by Vernon and Priscilla which he lost rights to Elvis in. Or something to that affect.

As for Mekas and his footage. He filmed portions of the opening night performance. The actual concert on this set will be from the Saturday afternoon show (that RCA recorded) and is virtually the entire show according to Sony.

A poster on FECC says a reliable source told him that the show isn't complete but about 50 minutes long. That only about 10 minutes is missing. So maybe he means intros. Also the footage is excellent. So we will see if he has connections or is just blowing air.

Edit; He also claimed it was filmed in 16mm.
    Last edited by vivaelvis; 08-01-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Re: "PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET: 40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION" Presents Madison Square Ga

Well, I don't think that Sony BMG lives in a box, so they MUST know that there's already a footage on YouTube and they won't cheat and lie to the fans promising a 'newly discovered, unseen' footage. At least I hope so... Because that would be a major disappointment. Why don't they release every footage they have? What about the Opening show from June 9th? No audio, no footage? So on one hand I'm very excited and enthusiastic about this release, but a bit skeptic at the same time. We'll see, at least the sound will be a tad bit better and hopefully more powerful than the originals. Anyone who have heard any of the new mix plz let us know about it asap!
    Poke a little sock salad...

IF this is indeed the Mekas film-it is a quality shot concert...he is a professional filmmaker.
    If it is some of the other MSG fan footage I have seen over the last 20 years-we may be in for a letdown unless they have really cleaned it up and edited it well.
    The Mekas film! yes I was wondering about that. I remember reading somewhere that he did filmed the whole show, but then just cliped some scenes for his short (and very weird) film proyect. Would that be this new footage! if it is it will be mind blowing! Yet, only one angle?

Now the Galaxy films sounds even better, but who knows. In the end it reads a fan, not Mekas or unfinished promo film project, so... will see. Exciting anyway.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 08-01-2012 at 06:32 PM.

I have ordered this set......... Shipping Estimate Tuesday October 30, 2012.

Yes, very amazing finally.
    Last edited by Tommy; 08-01-2012 at 06:45 PM.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

I have ordered this set.........
    From the looks of it, it seems that the case cover is a thick multi-disc case like with the That's The Way It Is set from 2001.

Is there any way you or anyone else can blow up that photo of the discs to where we can read the print on the DVD disc? I do see where it says STEREO, so I would assume that it's multi-channel for both the concert footage and press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    From the looks of it, it seems that the case cover is a thick multi-disc case like with the That's The Way It Is set from 2001.

Is there any way you or anyone else can blow up that photo of the discs to where we can read the print on the DVD disc? I do see where it says STEREO, so I would assume that it's multi-channel for both the concert footage and press conference.
    It says DVD.......NTSC, that is all I can read.

Editorial Reviews

Of all the live concert recordings released by RCA during Elvis Presley's lifetime, none carried the historic significance of his long-awaited New York City shows at Madison Square Garden in June 1972. Now, a pair of hour-long performances have finally been coupled in one package for the first time as Prince From Another Planet: 40th Anniversary Edition.

Prince From Another Planet takes its title from a New York Times headline that accompanied its rave review of the King of Rock 'n' Roll's four sold-out shows at Madison Square Garden (80,000 tickets sold), the weekend of Friday through Sunday, June 9-11, 1972. CD two reprises the Saturday night show in its entirety, some 20 songs (plus introductions) originally issued on LP on June 18, 1972, just eight days after the concert took place. CD one reprises the (slightly longer) Saturday afternoon show, some 23 songs (plus introductions), archived and issued for the first time 25 years later in 1997, on CD.

Accompanying the two CDs is a bonus DVD that presents unseen footage of the Saturday afternoon show, captured on hand-held camera by a fan, and now acquired by Legacy from that fan decades later for this package. Rarely is unseen footage of Elvis in concert discovered, so this footage lends historical importance to the package. The film is a revealing portrait of a physically commanding Elvis and his power¬house TCB Band, background vocalists, and orchestra.

Track Listings

Disc: 1
    1. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey)
    2. That's All Right
    3. Proud Mary
    4. Never Been To Spain
    5. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
    6. Until It s Time For You To Go
    7. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
    8. Polk Salad Annie
    9. Love Me
    10. All Shook Up
    11. Heartbreak Hotel
    12. Medley Let Me Be Your)Teddy Bear/ Don't Be Cruel
    13. Love Me Tender
    14. Blue Suede Shoes
    15. Reconsider Baby
    16. Hound Dog
    17. I'll Remember You
    18. Suspicious Minds
    19. Introductions by Elvis
    20. For The Good Times
    21. American Trilogy
    22. Funny How Time Slips Away
    23. I Can't Stop Loving You
    24. Can't Help Falling In Love
    25. End Theme(Orchestra)

Disc: 2
    2. That's All Right
    3. Proud Mary
    4. Never Been To Spain
    6. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
    7. Polk Salad Annie
    8. Love Me
    9. All Shook Up
    10. Heartbreak Hotel
    11. Medley Let Me Be Your)Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
    12. Love Me Tender
    13. The Impossible Dream(The Quest)
    14. Introductions by Elvis
    15. Hound Dog
    16. Suspicious Minds
    17. For The Good Times
    18. American Trilogy
    19. Funny How Time Slips Away
    20. I Can't Stop Loving You
    21. Can't Help Falling In Love
    22. End Theme (Orchestra)

Disc: 3
    1. Afternoon show filmed June 10, 1972 (approx. 1 hour)
    2. Afternoon press conference held June 9, 1972 (approx. 20 minutes)
    Last edited by Tommy; 08-01-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks Tommy. I was able to match the print of the other 2 discs and strangely it is of the EVENING show. So it's either a bad mistake by Sony in their presentation or the printing company who made the labels. Or, it might not be the official image, but a mock up.

Thanks Tommy. I was able to match the print of the other 2 discs and strangely it is of the EVENING show. So it's either a bad mistake by Sony in their presentation or the printing company who made the labels. Or, it might not be the official image, but a mock up.
    You are very welcome my friend.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

This is unbelievable.

I can not express in words the great feelin' of excitement this gives me already on top of the Elvis at sun set.

Pre ordering this in two weeks, thank you SONY!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Mad Tigers

Jonas Mekas had been contacted before about a deal for his film but showed no interest and is old now

if i look at the picture it seems that all 3 discs have the same tracklisting so it could be just for preview reasons?

Of all the live concert recordings released by RCA during Elvis Presley’s lifetime, none carried the historic significance of his long-awaited New York City shows at Madison Square Garden in June 1972. Now, a pair of hour-long performances have finally been coupled in one package for the first time as PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET: 40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION. This deluxe 2-CD+DVD box set will be available everywhere October 30th through RCA/Legacy, a division of SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.

PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET takes its title from a New York Times headline that accompanied its rave review of the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll’s four sold-out shows at Madison Square Garden (80,000 tickets sold), the weekend of Friday through Sunday, June 9-11, 1972. CD two reprises the Saturday night show in its entirety, some 20 songs (plus introductions) originally issued on LP on June 18, 1972, just eight days after the concert took place. CD one reprises the (slightly longer) Saturday afternoon show, some 23 songs (plus introductions), archived and issued for the first time 25 years later in 1997, on CD.

The Madison Square Garden recordings have been newly mixed for the first time by respected New York engineer Michael Brauer.
    Adding to the historic weight of PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET is an evocative 5,000-word essay written by Lenny Kaye, longtime guitarist for Patti Smith. Kaye actually covered the press conference and the concerts for his gig as music editor of Cavalier magazine in the ’70s. In addition to his roles as a musician and a producer of numerous reissues and compilations, Kaye has been annotating albums for more than four decades.

Accompanying the two CDs is a bonus DVD that presents unseen footage of the Saturday afternoon show, captured on hand-held camera by a fan, and now acquired by Legacy from that fan decades later for this package. Rarely is unseen footage of Elvis in concert discovered, so this footage lends historical importance to the package. The film is a revealing portrait of a physically commanding Elvis and his power*house TCB Band, background vocalists, and orchestra.

The recently discovered footage is set to make its world premiere during Elvis Week in Memphis on Friday, August 17th, at 4:30 p.m. at a free event in the Elvis Week Entertainment Pavilion.

Along with the concert film on the DVD is another video document, the press conference that took place on Friday afternoon before the big weekend. Attended by Colonel Tom Parker and Elvis’ father, Vernon Presley, Elvis disarms and wins over the New York press corps with his good-natured demeanor.

For example, when asked “Which kind of song do you like doing the best?” Elvis answers, “I like to mix 'em up. In other words, I like to do a song like ‘Bridge Over Troubled Water’ or ‘American Trilogy,’ or something. Then mix it up and do some rock and roll, some of the hard rock stuff. I'm not the least bit ashamed of ‘Hound Dog’ or ‘Heartbreak Hotel’…”

A closer look at the concert repertoire confirms his answer. The set lists for the afternoon and evening shows are an eclectic mix, something for everyone. After the bombastic “Also Sprach Zarathustra” theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey, both shows are bookended at the start by “That's All Right” (from 1956), Creedence’s “Proud Mary” (via Ike & Tina Turner), Hoyt Axton’s “Never Been To Spain” (via Three Dog Night), and Dusty Springfield’s “You Don't Have To Say You Love Me.” Both shows end with “Suspicious Minds,” Kristofferson’s “For The Good Times,” Mickey Newbury’s “American Trilogy,” Willie Nelson’s “Funny How Time Slips Away,” Don Gibson’s “I Can't Stop Loving You” (via Ray Charles), and of course, “Can't Help Falling In Love.”

The set lists are virtually identical, though four songs from the afternoon show were not performed at the evening show: Buffy Sainte-Marie’s “Until It’s Time For You To Go,” “Blue Suede Shoes,” Lowell Fulsom’s “Reconsider Baby,” and Don Ho’s “I’ll Remember You.” And one song from the evening show was not performed at the afternoon show: Man Of La Mancha’s “The Impossible Dream.”
    With those exceptions, the central portion of each show is very nearly the same something-for-everyone program, starting with the Righteous Brothers’ “You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'” and Tony Joe White’s “Polk Salad Annie,” then straight back to 1956-57 for “Love Me,” “All Shook Up,” “Heartbreak Hotel,” the medley of “(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear” c/w “Don't Be Cruel,” “Love Me Tender,” and “Hound Dog.”

After being roundly excoriated by New York critics after his televised visits of 1956 (on Jackie Gleason’s Stage Show, in January, February and March), and 1957 (Ed Sullivan’s Toast Of the Town in January; and The Steve Allen Show in July), Elvis and his manager Tom Parker did not schedule another New York performance for some 15 years. Even after Elvis triumphed on his black leather NBC-TV “comeback” special of December 1968, and returned to public concert touring fulltime in August 1969 (at the International Hotel in Las Vegas, chronicled in 2010 on RCA/Legacy’s On Stage: Legacy Edition), they still waited three years to play New York.
    When asked at the press conference why it took so long, Elvis answers with a straight face: “I think it was a matter of not getting the building, the proper building. We had to wait our turn in order to get the building. Couldn't get a good building in fifteen years. No, all kidding aside, we had to wait our turn to get in... into the Garden, you know. I just hope we put on a good show for everybody. Oh, I like it. I enjoy it.”

PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET by ELVIS PRESLEY
    ELVIS AS RECORDED LIVE AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN /
    40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION
    (RCA/Legacy 88691 95388 2)
    Disc 1: The afternoon show recorded June 10, 1972 (originally issued April 1997, as An Afternoon In the Garden, RCA 67457-2):
    Selections: 1. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey) • 2. That's All Right • 3. Proud Mary • 4. Never Been To Spain • 5. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me • 6. Until It’s Time For You To Go • 7. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' • 8. Polk Salad Annie • 9. Love Me • 10. All Shook Up • 11. Heartbreak Hotel • 12. Medley: (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear/ Don't Be Cruel • 13. Love Me Tender • 14. Blue Suede Shoes • 15. Reconsider Baby • 16. Hound Dog • 17. I’ll Remember You • 18. Suspicious Minds • 19. Introductions by Elvis • 20. For The Good Times • 21. American Trilogy • 22. Funny How Time Slips Away • 23. I Can't Stop Loving You • 24. Can't Help Falling In Love • 25. End Theme (Orchestra).

Disc 2: The evening show recorded June 10, 1972 (originally issued June 18, 1972, as Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden, RCA LSP 4776):
    Selections: 1. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey) • 2. That's All Right • 3. Proud Mary • 4. Never Been To Spain • 5. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me • 6. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' • 7. Polk Salad Annie • 8. Love Me • 9. All Shook Up • 10. Heartbreak Hotel • 11. Medley: (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear/ Don't Be Cruel • 12. Love Me Tender • 13. The Impossible Dream (The Quest) • 14. Introductions by Elvis • 15. Hound Dog • 16. Suspicious Minds • 17. For The Good Times • 18. American Trilogy • 19. Funny How Time Slips Away • 20. I Can't Stop Loving You • 21. Can't Help Falling In Love • 22. End Theme (Orchestra).

Disc 3 (DVD): 1. Afternoon show filmed June 10, 1972 (approx. 1 hour) • 2. Afternoon press conference held June 9, 1972 (approx. 20 minutes).

TCB Band:
    Guitar: James Burton
    Guitar: John Wilkinson
    Guitar & Vocals: Charlie Hodge
    Bass: Jerry Scheff
    Drums: Ronnie Tutt
    Piano: Glen D. Hardin
    with:
    Vocals: J.D.Sumner & The Stamps
    Vocals: The Sweet Inspirations
    Vocals: Kathy Westmoreland
    The Joe Malin Orchestra conducted by Joe Guercio

So far this is exceeding my expectations. I just hope the aprox 1 hour for the concert footage is not a typo, since before they were talking about 40 mins total for the DVD.

Does anybody knows if sales of this set will add up to the original MSG L.P. as well as to the An Afternoon CD?

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Does anybody knows if sales of this set will add up to the original MSG L.P. as well as to the An Afternoon CD?
    It's hard to tell at this point. It is a 40th anniversary deluxe edition of the original album, although the actual title is Prince From Another Planet and not As Recorded At Madison Square Garden. So I don't know if it will or not.

With the addition of the DVD added with the unseen footage, it just might be an even bigger seller than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Jonas Mekas had been contacted before about a deal for his film but showed no interest and is old now
    Perhaps the money was'nt right in the other offers. Money has a way of changing minds, also since he is old-money may be more important in his old age-for health, comfort etc.....
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Editorial Reviews

Of all the live concert recordings released by RCA during Elvis Presley's lifetime, none carried the historic significance of his long-awaited New York City shows at Madison Square Garden in June 1972. Now, a pair of hour-long performances have finally been coupled in one package for the first time as Prince From Another Planet: 40th Anniversary Edition.

Prince From Another Planet takes its title from a New York Times headline that accompanied its rave review of the King of Rock 'n' Roll's four sold-out shows at Madison Square Garden (80,000 tickets sold), the weekend of Friday through Sunday, June 9-11, 1972. CD two reprises the Saturday night show in its entirety, some 20 songs (plus introductions) originally issued on LP on June 18, 1972, just eight days after the concert took place. CD one reprises the (slightly longer) Saturday afternoon show, some 23 songs (plus introductions), archived and issued for the first time 25 years later in 1997, on CD.

Accompanying the two CDs is a bonus DVD that presents unseen footage of the Saturday afternoon show, captured on hand-held camera by a fan, and now acquired by Legacy from that fan decades later for this package. Rarely is unseen footage of Elvis in concert discovered, so this footage lends historical importance to the package. The film is a revealing portrait of a physically commanding Elvis and his power¬house TCB Band, background vocalists, and orchestra.

Track Listings

Disc: 1
    2. That's All Right
    3. Proud Mary
    4. Never Been To Spain
    6. Until It s Time For You To Go
    7. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
    8. Polk Salad Annie
    9. Love Me
    10. All Shook Up
    11. Heartbreak Hotel
    12. Medley Let Me Be Your)Teddy Bear/ Don't Be Cruel
    13. Love Me Tender
    14. Blue Suede Shoes
    15. Reconsider Baby
    16. Hound Dog
    17. I'll Remember You
    18. Suspicious Minds
    19. Introductions by Elvis
    20. For The Good Times
    21. American Trilogy
    22. Funny How Time Slips Away
    23. I Can't Stop Loving You
    24. Can't Help Falling In Love
    25. End Theme(Orchestra)

Disc: 2
    2. That's All Right
    3. Proud Mary
    4. Never Been To Spain
    6. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
    7. Polk Salad Annie
    8. Love Me
    9. All Shook Up
    10. Heartbreak Hotel
    11. Medley Let Me Be Your)Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
    12. Love Me Tender
    13. The Impossible Dream(The Quest)
    14. Introductions by Elvis
    15. Hound Dog
    16. Suspicious Minds
    17. For The Good Times
    18. American Trilogy
    19. Funny How Time Slips Away
    20. I Can't Stop Loving You
    21. Can't Help Falling In Love
    22. End Theme (Orchestra)

Disc: 3
    1. Afternoon show filmed June 10, 1972 (approx. 1 hour)
    2. Afternoon press conference held June 9, 1972 (approx. 20 minutes)
    That lack of information for the DVD...... on song listings bothers me....also I would like to hear that they "definitely" have synced sound to the film....and cleaned up the film.
    I have seen many filmed clips of MSG-and by far the Mekas film is the optimum in picture.
    The afternoon "fan shot" show clips I have seen- were grainy, choppy and unprofessional looking. If indeed the film that has circulated for years of the afternoon show is the one they are using-I pray they clean it up and have better sound-otherwise its going to be a letdown for everyone.
    If they would just provide more info-it would show what is coming-but since so far they have given little info on the DVD out-it makes me anxious-causes me to wonder Why?
    Work in Progress!

I do not think the sales of this will count toward the original albums-If I recall correctly the tracklisting must be a certain percentage of the original-since this has both shows and they both were released as single albums-this will be a new release and its sales will stand apart from the original single albums.
    Work in Progress!

I do not think the sales of this will count toward the original albums-If I recall correctly the tracklisting must be a certain percentage of the original-since this has both shows and they both were released as single albums-this will be a new release and its sales will stand apart from the original single albums.
    Apparently they are doing TWO separate releases. One being the 3-disc set featuring that DVD and the other being a Legacy Edition release featuring the original album and the new remixed version of the evening show. I told you months ago that I felt that Sony was pushing the An Afternoon In The Garden disc at Wal-Mart to get rid of back inventory to make way for a new upgraded version or set. I knew what I was talking about, which is why I was irritated at your negativity about it. The world is filled with pessimistic and negativity as it is and sometimes we just need to be optimistic and positive and not see things for the wrong but for the right.

TCB Mafia

I have checked with the RIAA and the new album release will count as a 'new' one and sales will not be added to either original album. Whilst these releases are great for fans they do nothing towards getting Elvis new awards.

Brian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast