Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET: 40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION" Presents Madison Square Garden

"PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET: 40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION" Presents Madison Square Garden

Of all the live concert recordings released by RCA during Elvis Presley’s lifetime, none carried the historic significance of his long-awaited New York City shows at Madison Square Garden in June 1972. Now, a pair of hour-long performances have finally been coupled in one package for the first...

More...

Re: "PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET: 40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION" Presents Madison Square Ga

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis.com View Post
    Of all the live concert recordings released by RCA during Elvis Presley’s lifetime, none carried the historic significance of his long-awaited New York City shows at Madison Square Garden in June 1972. Now, a pair of hour-long performances have finally been coupled in one package for the first...

More...
    I don't know if the footage being released is what's on Youtube now or complete footage from the afternoon show, but what I did notice in that preview was that it contains approximately 1 hour of fan shot footage of the afternoon show on June 10 I am assuming that they have overdubbed the afternoon mix onto the video for a better entertaining experience. It would make no sense for them to put 1 hour of silent footage on a major label release. Sony would get blasted for doing that.

Also, it says that the running time for the Press conference is 20 minutes, which means the ENTIRE conference!

This set is getting better by the minute! IMO, this is THE ultimate Elvis package ever put out by Sony, BMG or RCA, EVER!! Any true Elvis fan who passes on this simply because they already have the shows in the original POOR mixes, not to mention, rushed at that, should turn in their Elvis fan card immediately and join the non Elvis fans.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Re: "PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET: 40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION" Presents Madison Square Ga

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    I don't know if the footage being released is what's on Youtube now or complete footage from the afternoon show, but what I did notice in that preview was that it contains approximately 1 hour of fan shot footage of the afternoon show on June 10 I am assuming that they have overdubbed the afternoon mix onto the video for a better entertaining experience. It would make no sense for them to put 1 hour of silent footage on a major label release. Sony would get blasted for doing that.

Also, it says that the running time for the Press conference is 20 minutes, which means the ENTIRE conference!

This set is getting better by the minute! IMO, this is THE ultimate Elvis package ever put out by Sony, BMG or RCA, EVER!! Any true Elvis fan who passes on this simply because they already have the shows in the original POOR mixes, not to mention, rushed at that, should turn in their Elvis fan card immediately and join the non Elvis fans.

From what i know and read on several pages announcing this release its filmed with a handheld camera by 1 fan and not several fans

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeCornPatches View Post
    From what i know and read on several pages announcing this release its filmed with a handheld camera by 1 fan and not several fans
    This is the official release and it is said that the DVD is indeed IN STEREO!!!

This is the official release and it is said that the DVD is indeed IN STEREO!!!

so they probably synced the footage with the audio of the show

so they probably synced the footage with the audio of the show
    Most likely.

Most likely.
    the thing im wondering about the most thou is, what angle, what quality is the footage, i mean the footages we know of the afternoon show are quite dark (those that are on youtube and several boot dvd's) i wonder if this will be an improvement?

I can't wait for this, got it pre-ordered, looks fantastic
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

the thing im wondering about the most thou is, what angle, what quality is the footage, i mean the footages we know of the afternoon show are quite dark (those that are on youtube and several boot dvd's) i wonder if this will be an improvement?
    I know what particular footage you are referring to and it's very dark. However, none of it is known to exist in full complete form as what is being announced for the DVD of this special release. My guess is that Sony reached a deal with an unknown source or collector for the footage that we fans never knew of. Keep in mind that a lot of private collectors do NOT like to let their prized possessions make it to the public access like Youtube until they are ready to make a deal. The value goes up more that way.

Wow! This new set is making serious waves in the media. The very popular Los Angeles Times has now jumped aboard the bandwagon and ran this great article.

This part stood out the most.

"Using a hand-held camera, a fan filmed virtually the entire Saturday afternoon performance. The fan has requested anonymity and few other details about how his footage surfaced are available, according to a spokesman for Sony Legacy, which is releasing the package. “Rarely is unseen footage of Elvis in concert discovered, so this footage lends historical importance to the package,” said a statement issued Tuesday by the label."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...0,272323.story

I think i am going to get it :-)

its getting better and better..........
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Wow! This new set is making serious waves in the media. The very popular Los Angeles Times has now jumped aboard the bandwagon and ran this great article.

This part stood out the most.

"Using a hand-held camera, a fan filmed virtually the entire Saturday afternoon performance. The fan has requested anonymity and few other details about how his footage surfaced are available, according to a spokesman for Sony Legacy, which is releasing the package. “Rarely is unseen footage of Elvis in concert discovered, so this footage lends historical importance to the package,” said a statement issued Tuesday by the label."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...0,272323.story

Then its gotta be good footage if the guy or girl wishes to be anonymous!

Backstage Pass

Go to link below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GVdt2tAGPA
    I wonder if this is the footage that's going to be on the dvd. Since this video is of the june 10 afternoon show and does equal around the reported 20 min length of the dvd. It's also not professionally recorded like what reports of the dvd have told us.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamroller Blues View Post
    Go to link below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GVdt2tAGPA
    I wonder if this is the footage that's going to be on the dvd. Since this video is of the june 10 afternoon show and does equal around the reported 20 min length of the dvd. It's also not professionally recorded like what reports of the dvd have told us.
    According to Sony reps, the entire concert was filmed by a hand-held camera recorder. I personally do not think that this is the same exact footage being used as it is the only known footage from this particular show at the Garden in 1972 and only runs in bits and pieces for 20 minutes. The Sony press release lists it as approximately 60 minutes (or to an hour long, which is what the actual show ran for) and that does NOT include the extra 20 minutes on the disc for the press conference. So IMO what we are getting is a NEW source and NOT what the fans have seen on bootleg or Youtube.

If you look on the photo of the set which is in color, you will see that each disc has a tracklisting and Disc 3 (the blue DVD disc) features one as well.

I really think we are in for a real shock and awe experience with this release. Sony even went the extra mile to make sure it was remixed by a world renowned producer/mixer. Some of those "experts" over at the other forum haven't got a clue what's in store for the Elvis world.

Vi....va-was that a shot at me? The value of any mix of a concert or music CD-is a strictly "subjective opinion" that has no clear cut answer because each person is different. The worth of any given mix is governed by the person who listens-not by singular opinion that suddenly is "the law"
    True fans come in all shapes and sizes-there is no "one persons definition" that suddenly devides the waters of Elvis fans with one stroke of the keyboard
    I for one will buy this set-mainly for the DVD content. I hope you are correct and the sound has been dubbed and synced to the film.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Vi....va-was that a shot at me? The value of any mix of a concert or music CD-is a strictly "subjective opinion" that has no clear cut answer because each person is different. The worth of any given mix is governed by the person who listens-not by singular opinion that suddenly is "the law"
    True fans come in all shapes and sizes-there is no "one persons definition" that suddenly devides the waters of Elvis fans with one stroke of the keyboard
    I for one will buy this set-mainly for the DVD content. I hope you are correct and the sound has been dubbed and synced to the film.
    Not unless you are a poster at FECC and one of the arrogant self labeled "experts" of all things Elvis as some are there. But I don't think you are so no it wasn't directed towards you.

Not unless you are a poster at FECC and one of the arrogant self labeled "experts" of all things Elvis as some are there. But I don't think you are so no it wasn't directed towards you.
    I only post at TCB about Elvis-and on occasion on TOPIX.
    Jonas Mekas filmed with a 16 mm camera-it was hand held....and I have been trying for years to discover how much film he shot...he could have filmed the whole show-or only several minutes. Whether he is a fan of Elvis-I have never read anywhere.
    How he got to film with a 16 mm camera (which back then was not a small camera) is also a mystery. I found an interview with him a few years back and he claimed (if I recall correctly so this is a disclaimer) that he was given permission by Parker.....which I found hard to believe.
    IF this is indeed the Mekas film-it is a quality shot concert...he is a professional filmmaker.
    If it is some of the other MSG fan footage I have seen over the last 20 years-we may be in for a letdown unless they have really cleaned it up and edited it well.
    Work in Progress!

Here is an interesting story I ran across while trying to find info on the Mekas filming at MSG anyone ever heard of Galaxy Eclipse Productions?
    ...................In April 1972, they received a call from a guy named Tom in Palm Springs who said he was associated with Colonel Parker...Elvis Presley's manager. The Colonel wanted some film of Elvis to put together a promo film package because Elvis wanted to expand his territory for performing. Promo film would be a good tool to boost bookings. Tom wanted Galaxy Eclipse to shoot the film. Nothing fancy...just 16mm footage of Elvis performing at Madison Square Garden in June. Probably footage of the pre-concert press conference at the New York Hilton as well. The Colonel was willing to pay about double the usual fee but in typical Colonel style, Travis and Bob had to pay their own way to New York City.

Travis and Bob packed up their equipment and headed for New York in late May. Best job they ever booked. The Colonel had already advanced them money by messenger and met them at the New York Hilton. They looked over the Mercury Ballroom where the press conference was to take place. It was to be a two-camera set-up for the press conference as well as the actual concert footage. Film was to be shot of one concert only...the opening show.

Well, the day of the press conference, they showed up to set up their equipment and the Colonel told them that there were already too many reporters, cameras, tape recorders there and it had already become hectic. Forget the footage of the press conference...he could access some footage if they needed it from one of the news services who were filming.

Galaxy showed up the next day at the Garden well in advance of the actual concert. They needed time to set up cameras and other equipment and get details from Parker about the camera angles, etc. Only footage of Elvis was to be taken and not the opening acts, the Colonel made this very clear to both of them (Travis recalled that the Colonel said this about 100 times...at least!)

One camera was set up right next to the mixing desk where sound adjustments were made which probably would have been stage front about the 12th row or so. the second camera was situated to the far left side of the stage pointed directly where Elvis eventually stood at the microphone. Each camera was equipped with a 10x zoom for closer views.

Travis said that after the job was completed, each camera had shot about 1600 feet of 16mm film equalling about 36 minutes of footage. There were approximately 10 complete songs captured that evening from two different angles. The film was never forwarded to the Colonel because final payments were never made to Galaxy and Aloha from Hawaii came along several months later and was probably a better promo for Elvis than any Madison Square Garden footage could have ever been. Both owners of Galaxy tried to contact Colonel Parker even after Elvis died, to see if he wanted the footage or not. They even offered to send him 16mm copies for free. People around the Colonel either never passed on the message to him or he just was no longer interested............
    Work in Progress!

Supposedly this is NBC footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6gGNYX3b7Q
    Work in Progress!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast