Thread: Michael Jackson more popular than Elvis in death?

Michael Jackson more popular than Elvis in death?

NOT!! This week was the 3rd anniversary of the death of the world's most famous child molester and no media coverage. No large mass fan tributes. Television programming. Not even MTV honored him, and he put them on the map! Nothing hardly at all for a man who is supposed to be the "King of Pop". Hell, he couldn't even trend worldwide on Twitter! Jackson's only been dead for 3 years and already the world's forgetting about him. Meanwhile, Elvis' 35th anniversary is in a couple of months and they're projecting the largest crowd ever! Jackson fans held a small candlelight vigil for him this week, but nothing to draw media coverage for. But this August Elvis Week's candlelight vigil is expected to draw in around 70,000!!!

I started this thread to make a point that there is only ONE Elvis and that he stands alone at the top of the world of entertainment and it's time the world take note of that and stop pretending that he's just another singer among many. Sure Michael influenced many artists since 1983 and deserves to be recognized as a true musical legend and icon. But he is no Elvis nor did he make history the way that Elvis did. He came AFTER Elvis, James Brown, Jackie Wilson, Marvin Gaye and Sammy Davis Jr. All of which inspired him. Elvis is still influencing young artists today and will for generations to come. Just look at Justin Beiber for example.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Re: Michael Jackson more popular than Elvis in death?

To be fair I did see some news on the anniversary of Jackson's death. Maybe not a huge scale but I did hear about 10,000 roses were delivered to his grave and the tweets from celebrities.

To be honest I don't think Bieber looks at Elvis as much of an influence, he talks about Jackson. He tweeted, RIP you were the best that ever did it and called him the King. When you watch him perform he thinks he is Michael Jackson with all the crotch grabs and moves.

I also don't think Elvis had but a few hundred to a thousand or two for his first few anniversaries of his death either. So who knows maybe Jackson’s will grow more over the years.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    To be fair I did see some news on the anniversary of Jackson's death. Maybe not a huge scale but I did hear about 10,000 roses were delivered to his grave and the tweets from celebrities.

To be honest I don't think Bieber looks at Elvis as much of an influence, he talks about Jackson. He tweeted, RIP you were the best that ever did it and called him the King. When you watch him perform he thinks he is Michael Jackson with all the crotch grabs and moves.

I also don't think Elvis had but a few hundred to a thousand or two for his first few anniversaries of his death either. So who knows maybe Jackson’s will grow more over the years.
    I watched the world news that night and NOTHING on him at all. Maybe they mentioned him on one of the 24-hour news channels. But not on the main news.

Back in 1978 there was a huge candlelight vigil outside of Graceland. Thousands showed up.

As for Justin Beiber....

Cadillac King

Did I miss something, was Michael Jackson charged?

Yeah of course the stories will read that Micheal Jackson is more popular. They'll make sure of it they have a good target audience to make money of off right now. It was the same after Elvis died too.
    Re: Micheal Jackson being "allegedly" accused not charged: People shouldn't judge what and who they don't know. We don't know Micheal Jackson we don't know Elvis Presley all we know is what "they" show us. I remember another famous icon that got a lot of bad press after he started exposing the music industry from the stage and started claiming they wanted to go with new management and record label. Don't think all the fat and drug abuse stories came out after his death...Think..think..think..
    Keep in mind that it's all about money and Micheal Jackson owned 60% of Sony's Music catalog at the time of his death. That's not peanuts. I don't like what Micheal did to his image but it looks at times like that was the result of someone who was serious messed with.

"Walk a Mile in My Shoes" or in this case would it be "Moon-Walk a Mile in My Shoes?" Ouch that would hurt

If you don't want to hear the song the please watch the quote he starts with.

There is Only One Elvis

I heard nothing on the news, only way I remember it's the day he died is because its the same date as my friends birthday
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

CNN aired a special Sunday night called MJ The Last Days or Last Hours ........something like that
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    Did I miss something, was Michael Jackson charged?
    Of course he was charged. You can't end up having a court trial without first being charged with a crime.

Cadillac King

Let me re-word.

Was Michael found guilty?

i didnt even think of michael jackson on his anniversary.. I was thinking of elvis performance in cincinatti on june,25 1977 and listened to it to!

The other night on Pawn Stars a woman brought in what turned out to be a copy of Elvis' recording contract and they mentioned that Elvis Elvis has sold over 1 billion records worldwide more than any other act in music history! I immediately thought of the zealous Jackson fans who might have seen that, knowing that MJ claimed he had sold more than Elvis and The Beatles.

I have also heard that MJ's claim was heavily inflated. He had only 11 albums to his credit at the time of his death included in that was a remix album of his Thriller album and his version of Elvis and The Beatles #1 Hits compilation. To have reached the 1 billion mark he would have needed everyone of those albums to have sold 100 million each. The remix album failed to go platinum as did the hits album until after his death. I have only heard of Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad and Dangerous being his best selling albums. Thriller has sold over 50 million while Off The Wall, Bad and Dangerous have sold about 100 million combined worldwide. That would put him at around 150 million for those 4 albums, his best sellers, combined. I would say he's sold about 300 million max.

Elvis on the other hand has had more than 200 albums released since 1956, many of which are compilations and new produced albums and have sold millions each. Then add in over 150 singles which also sold millions per single. Just at 1 million per album and single would put him at 350 million alone. So imagine what it would be with 5X multi platinum per album of at least 100 albums. That would be 500 million. And that's not counting the other 100 plus albums and the 150 plus singles. So that Billion mark is closer than some think for Elvis. He's closest to the Billion mark than MJ and The Beatles put together.

Yeah, whenever he or the media would mention that MJ sold more than Elvis and Beatles combined, I knew that was made up.
    You have 5 artists in total to 1.
    Elvis
    John
    George
    Ringo
    Paul
    and then there's The Jackson 5.From that band you have people followed Micheal & Jermain but the claim is that Micheal Jackson alone did it. Even when you compare Elvis and The Beatles to Micheal worldwide there's no comparison.
    There is Only One Elvis

Sweden had tv documentarys about his death here too the same day he died. so he iis not forget here

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Jackson's only been dead for 3 years and already the world's forgetting about him. Meanwhile, Elvis' 35th anniversary is in a couple of months and they're projecting the largest crowd ever!
    Michael Jackson will never be forgotten no matter what. and if you'r still here when it's his 35th anniversary let's see how crowded it will be then.
    "you don't know it until it hits you"

you're the tea in my coffee - i'm the coke in yer choc

Though you lived to the anniversary (35) Michael's death, you never hear such words!

"President Jimmy Carter, on Elvis' Death, Quotes about Elvis Presley
    Elvis Presley's death deprives our country of a part of itself. He was unique, irreplaceable. More than twenty years ago, he burst upon the scene with an impact that was unprecedented and will probably never be equaled. His music and his personality, fusing the styles of white country and black rhythm and blues, permanently changed the face of American popular culture. His following was immense. And he was a symbol to people the world over of the vitality, rebelliousness and good humor of this country"

Michael was and still is my favorite artist he not and will not be as big as Elvis was!
    That's it. ELVIS is the best.
    I'll Remember You!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    Let me re-word.

Was Michael found guilty?
    No but a couple cases he settled out of court with the stipulation that they could not speak about it again....so if you are sure of your innocent why settle? I would think you would fight hard to prove your innocence and totally clear your name-by settling it always leaves a doubt no matter how you work to justify it.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by elvia7 View Post
    Though you lived to the anniversary (35) Michael's death, you never hear such words!

"President Jimmy Carter, on Elvis' Death, Quotes about Elvis Presley
    Elvis Presley's death deprives our country of a part of itself. He was unique, irreplaceable. More than twenty years ago, he burst upon the scene with an impact that was unprecedented and will probably never be equaled. His music and his personality, fusing the styles of white country and black rhythm and blues, permanently changed the face of American popular culture. His following was immense. And he was a symbol to people the world over of the vitality, rebelliousness and good humor of this country"

Michael was and still is my favorite artist he not and will not be as big as Elvis was!
    That's it. ELVIS is the best.
    i didn't say MJ will be as big as Elvis. i said he won't be forgotten i hope you can read that right
    "you don't know it until it hits you"

you're the tea in my coffee - i'm the coke in yer choc

Cadillac King

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    No but a couple cases he settled out of court with the stipulation that they could not speak about it again....so if you are sure of your innocent why settle? I would think you would fight hard to prove your innocence and totally clear your name-by settling it always leaves a doubt no matter how you work to justify it.

I agree Ken; however, please read VivaElvis' wording.