Thread: Elvis in Concert 2012 ( I mean all concerts with old good Elvis's Band)

Elvis in Concert 2012 ( I mean all concerts with old good Elvis's Band)

What do you think? Why they didn't show Elvis in his late years (For example: Elvis In Concert 1977). For sure in this time he was pretty fat, but he had still excellent voice. In previous tours (2010,2011 and now) they showed him when he was singing in Aloha, Elvis on Tour 1972 and 1956 . And of course That's The Way It Is (1970). Please tell me what do you think about it? What is your opinion. After all, in spite of overweight Elvis had cool concerts. I'm counting on you...

Re: Elvis in Concert 2012 ( I mean all concerts with old good Elvis's Band)

Would love to see parts of elvis in concert from 77. Especially How Great Thou art. but EPE hates the 1977 elvis and for them elvis stopped after aloha.. The day elvis in concert 77 gets a proper dvd release or gets added to the tours. thats the day i bite my shoes off

Have you ever been to Elvis In Concert 2012? . If yes, tell me where was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Patryk View Post
    Have you ever been to Elvis In Concert 2012? . If yes, tell me where was it?
    Yes i have been this year in holland here. and in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS_ View Post
    I agree Three Corn, The "Elvis In Concert 1977 LP" Has the best version of "1977 How Great Thou Art".
    Plus 3 other songs come to mind that turned out to be in my opinion the best RCA live released versions of ,

"1977 Gave Me A Mountain"
    "1977 Hurt"&
    "1977 My Way".

For some reason I really like the way,

"1977 I Can't Help Falling In Love" came out, don't know why but it might have a more personal touch to it.
    Elvis once said "an image is one thing and a human being is another". But in this case, the image is more important on a business level than the human being. That's why EIC 77 is NOT and never will be included in the Elvis In Concert 2012 production and it's a smart decision too.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Thanks for posts. I have also one question. Do you have a personal tapes of Elvis's last concerts? I mean from Kansas City, from 1973,1974,1975 or from Sahara Tahoe? But not from our YouTube. Do you have favourite 8mm tapes, clips from this time?

International Level Nicole Presley's Avatar

I have the CBS tapes. But thatīs all I have of the last years of his life. Are there any other videos of the last years?

You probably have complete CBS Elvis In Concert 1977 tapes. There're contained dwo different concerts from two different places. Rapid City and Omaha. In Rapid City Elvis had more power than he had in Omaha, but it doesn't metter. On youtube, there is also concert from Pittsburgh (New Year Eve, 1976). I think that you saw it. Boxcar released cool tapes long time ago (Do you know something about it?). They included there, Rapid City and Omaha concerts, Complete CBS Elvis In Concert 1977 and a lot of another videos of the last Elvis's concerts (Baltimore, Rochester, Indianapolis and much more. Of course there're amateur footages ). I recommend you this edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Patryk View Post
    Boxcar released cool tapes long time ago (Do you know something about it?). They included there, Rapid City and Omaha concerts, Complete CBS Elvis In Concert 1977 and a lot of another videos of the last Elvis's concerts (Baltimore, Rochester, Indianapolis and much more. Of course there're amateur footages ). I recommend you this edition.
    It was'nt that long ago- approximately 18 months or so.

And yes, this edition is to be highly recommended. It's a great shame EPE came down so hard on Bud Glass after all his wonderful work on TFC.

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS_ View Post
    I could see why the new tour wouldn't use the footage from 1977 maybe to influence new fans and perhaps that's the way Elvis would have wanted.
    But for me as kid the weight thing never bothered me, I listened to the voice and he was still cool, my thoughts were, he must be older here.

Today, It's ok for Jordan Sparks to put on a couple of pounds but if Britney Spears or Kelly Clarkson gain a few pounds, it's front page news.
    Do people today make fun of "Aretha Franklin" for gaining weight? No they don't but someone like "Linda Ronstadt" that's the first thing they mention and She has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard.

Don't know if this was one of them "stories" from the bodyguards but I read that Elvis wanted to re-record the CBS Special on the next tour.

I think CBS did a fantastic job after viewing the complete shows. The struggle with EPE could be between all the stupid fat jokes like what Lisa had to deal with about Elvis & all that work Priscilla and Jack did to bring the 50s Elvis back or accept the true fact that that's part of life for some and Elvis gained weight had nothing to do with his incredible voice.
    In fact Elvis' voice was more refined on the songs that mattered.
    Couldn't have said this better myself, he was still better looking than 99.99% of men on a bad day. It's a shame EPE don't embrace Elvis as a full package, but I can understand that to get new fans they must present what they believe is Elvis at his best. Once bitten by the Elvis bug, you don't care what he looked like, it's the man and the voice that matters.

Okay I am not trying to start anything racial, please believe me, but it does seem like a double standard that a lot of black artists get a pass for being overweight. I think that most of us, especially in the South, just accept black artists gaining weight more easily, even back to Ella Fitzgerald. But come to think about it this is also acceptable in opera, and that is generally performed by caucasian artists, so maybe it is just the youth based rock and roll and gets hit the hardest. But when it comes to our boy I really have a hard time watching when he is heavier ONLY because (I emphasize this strongly) I understand that his increase in weight was a manifestation of deeper troubles. He abused his body with drugs, food, and other women to put a band aid on the deep wounds he had spiritually and emotionally and it hurts to watch him hurt. I used to not listen to stuff past 1973 because I thought that there was not much good material after this time, but boy was I wrong. God gave him a gift that keeps on giving.

To release EIC is to remind people of his decline and remind them of his death not long after the filming of EIC-its not a good way to introduce anyone to Elvis.
    The image of him overweight and slurring his words has been a hard image to overcome in the last 35 years-and its still not totally overcome at that.
    The worst period for Elvis IMO 75 till his death is just a couple years in his 42 year life-but for many that, unfairly, became the defining period (the negatives of anything always seem to overpower the positives) so to release EIC just resurrects that horrid image that so wrongly became intrenched as "The life of Elvis"
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by josephinebeau View Post
    Okay I am not trying to start anything racial, please believe me, but it does seem like a double standard that a lot of black artists get a pass for being overweight. I think that most of us, especially in the South, just accept black artists gaining weight more easily, even back to Ella Fitzgerald. But come to think about it this is also acceptable in opera, and that is generally performed by caucasian artists, so maybe it is just the youth based rock and roll and gets hit the hardest. But when it comes to our boy I really have a hard time watching when he is heavier ONLY because (I emphasize this strongly) I understand that his increase in weight was a manifestation of deeper troubles. He abused his body with drugs, food, and other women to put a band aid on the deep wounds he had spiritually and emotionally and it hurts to watch him hurt. I used to not listen to stuff past 1973 because I thought that there was not much good material after this time, but boy was I wrong. God gave him a gift that keeps on giving.
    I don't think it's a colour thing...........just Elvis was/is the ultimate sex symbol. He, even now, has to remain 'perfect' to outsiders eyes....not allowed to gain weight, or get old.

Sad,,,what pressure on him.........
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger