Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Digital Domain Media Group and CORE Media Group to Create Virtual Elvis Presley

Re: Digital Domain Media Group and CORE Media Group to Create Virtual Elvis Presley

Well, interesting development. As of today, Digital Domain has filed for Chapter 11 bankrputcy. I don't know if this kills the virtual Elvis plans or not as it does not say. Maybe the new owners taking over the company will continue it, or maybe they won't.http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...0,465681.story
    I guess this proves that Obama's claim that the economy is back on the rise is just a ploy to get re-elected.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Re: Digital Domain Media Group and CORE Media Group to Create Virtual Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Well, interesting development. As of today, Digital Domain has filed for Chapter 11 bankrputcy. I don't know if this kills the virtual Elvis plans or not as it does not say. Maybe the new owners taking over the company will continue it, or maybe they won't.http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...0,465681.story
    I guess this proves that Obama's claim that the economy is back on the rise is just a ploy to get re-elected.
    Thanks for the link, I'd imagine Elvis will take a back seat for the moment, time will tell.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

You got that right!
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

In fact, what they're planning to do with Elvis and other singers is expected to put the impersonation business of all entertainers out of business.

Well, interesting development. As of today, Digital Domain has filed for Chapter 11 bankrputcy.
    I guess we won't be hanging up our jumpsuits just yet then.

First off usually Chapter 11 bankruptcy for any business is nothing more than a tool to restructure their operation and to restructure their debt in order to better set itself upon solvent ground..........I would not expect any "new owners" because this does not mean they are out of business it means they are asking the courts for protection from creditors until they submit a plan to restructure their operation-so they are not selling their business to anyone....they are continuing to operate under court supervision and approval for their restructure when they have the plan ready to submit. The article mentions sale of some company assets including a special effects division that works on special effects for movies, tv and advertising:
    .....The company also announced that it had reached a deal with private investment firm Searchlight Capital Partners to sell Digital Domain Productions Inc. — the Venice subsidiary that provides core visual effects for the film, television and advertising industries — for $15 million. The sale is subject to approval by the Bankruptcy Court. .....
    ....but the company is not going out of business. Hopefully it will arise in better shape-to do whatever its plans truely are for Elvis and his image.
    Wonder Bread filed Chapter 11 in July 2011 and is still restructuring but also still producing its products and paying its employees (this is the 2nd time in the last 20 years I believe that Wonder has done this)
    As far as Obama and the economy-come on that opens another can of worms that has nothing to do with Elvis....the comparisons to what the economy should be after a total collapse in 2008 (under President Bush) are hard to come up with since its never happened like this before-even the great depression was a totally different situation with totally different era and problems. Compared to the rest of the worlds economys ours has done fairly well as witnessed by comparison to Europes trying to deal with the same 2008 meltdown.
    My daughter bought a house last month and the housing market is finally making a rebound in sales-which means prices will go up.
    I think if everyone was honest (and not bound by political parties) there is plenty of mistakes, blame and total stubborness on some peoples parts to share in the economys lack of total rebound.
    But this is not a political forum-Topix has hundreds of threads to debate blame, mistakes and consequences of both parties actions.
    Last edited by KPM; 09-12-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Work in Progress!

Don't forget that Digital Domain was the brainchild behind the very successful hit movie, Avatar. The majority of that entire production was digitalized.

I am almost certain (and not assuming, but going by what has been mentioned so far) that Digital Domain won't be spending millions for a reproduction of the Aloha Special or the 68 Comeback. As Ken pointed out, there would be no reason to do that as we already have it as clear as possible. Going by what DD and Core have said, it's most likely that we'll see Elvis doing virtual concerts and making virtual appearances taking advantage of the highest levels of modern day digital technologies.

Imagine seeing Elvis (virtually) on a stage (screen) in his black leather suit singing Suspicious Minds with a modern day rock band backing him.

Now imagine seeing Elvis in his iconic Aloha suit singing the tracks from 69-72 and all the gyrations that came with that period

That's most likely what we'll be getting. Kind of a "what if" scenario. What if Elvis hadn't gone downhill after 1973. What if Elvis was that youthful star in today's music world. That's the whole reason behind it and what we can most likely expect.

As for when will we see this? If they are indeed planning to have future shows at Graceland, along with Las Vegas and other places, then it'll be at least a year or longer because they do not have the appropriate facilities to house that yet. The only big enough facility would be the car museum. But then where would they put all the cars? It's also possible that they may focus on Las Vegas first since Viva Elvis has ended.
    The idea that excites me is not seeing Elvis sing Suspicious Minds in Black Leather....nor singing tracks from 69-72 in the Aloha suit........like I said something totally different-not done before is exciting if the voice, movements, and facial syncing are done to perfection.
    A true "Virtual Elvis" could sing the latest hits, or make the latest hits.......the impression I am getting from the small bits of info we are getting officially is that the "Virtual Elvis" will be limited to his song catalogue and the performances in concert he has already filmed live-varying his costumes/eras .....black leather with Suspicious Minds....may excite some but not me.
    Now to have "Virtual Elvis" sing Eric Claptons "Tears in Heaven" and for it to sound like "ELVIS" that excites me.
    Even "Virtual Elvis" singing and performing his catalogue songs like "Wearin that Looked on Look", "Only the Stong Survive", "Find out Whats Happening" etc....that would be something different.......if done correctly.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The idea that excites me is not seeing Elvis sing Suspicious Minds in Black Leather....nor singing tracks from 69-72 in the Aloha suit........like I said something totally different-not done before is exciting if the voice, movements, and facial syncing are done to perfection.
    A true "Virtual Elvis" could sing the latest hits, or make the latest hits.......the impression I am getting from the small bits of info we are getting officially is that the "Virtual Elvis" will be limited to his song catalogue and the performances in concert he has already filmed live-varying his costumes/eras .....black leather with Suspicious Minds....may excite some but not me.
    Now to have "Virtual Elvis" sing Eric Claptons "Tears in Heaven" and for it to sound like "ELVIS" that excites me.
    Even "Virtual Elvis" singing and performing his catalogue songs like "Wearin that Looked on Look", "Only the Stong Survive", "Find out Whats Happening" etc....that would be something different.......if done correctly.
    I don't want to hear Elvis through computerized technology singing a song that he would have never agreed to or one that we don't know what he would have thought of. It's almost like entertainment slavery by having him to do songs that he wouldn't have approved of if he were still living. However I wouldn't mind hearing a computerized creation of I Will Always Love You, maybe even in a duet with Whitney Houston, since he was about to record it for his upcoming tour in August of 77. I like the idea of him singing a live recreated version of Wearin' That Loved On Look, too.

I will say that had he lived to hear Tears From Heaven I think he would have done a cover eventually.

I don't want to hear Elvis through computerized technology singing a song that he would have never agreed to or one that we don't know what he would have thought of. It's almost like entertainment slavery by having him to do songs that he wouldn't have approved of if he were still living. However I wouldn't mind hearing a computerized creation of I Will Always Love You, maybe even in a duet with Whitney Houston, since he was about to record it for his upcoming tour in August of 77. I like the idea of him singing a live recreated version of Wearin' That Loved On Look, too.

I will say that had he lived to hear Tears From Heaven I think he would have done a cover eventually.
    I also do not want to hear Elvis through computerized technology singing a song he never would have agreed to-but you can get a pretty good idea of what he might do or would have done by looking at his likes and dislikes in music and the styles and genres he liked.
    But If I recall you did point out the Conway Twitty computer created "new duet" from 10 years back as a possible way to go for Elvis in the future.
    I did not like the Twitty created song because it sounded "choppy and piecemeal"....my thinking is the same on this if they create an Elvis voice that sounds natural-not as I described Twittys-then I think it would be huge to future Elvis fans....but I have stressed it has to be near perfect in sound, feel and performance.
    But that is what a true "Virtual Elvis" should be capable of-singing anything with little difference from the original voice and performance.
    So perhaps "Virtual Elvis" is not the proper title for this project.
    Lisa could decide what songs she feels her father might have done-or the avenues he might have explored musically....its her father.
    If we do not like her choices-we can let her know.
    AS far as entertainment slavery-lets be honest the minute you vary any aspect of music, performance or film of Elvis (or any dead artist) without their input-you have made decisions that change their creation. ALLC, Rubberneckin, The Christmas Duets, etc.......no one can be sure Elvis would have approved, liked or even considered those things-but that slippery slope has already been crossed-its a little late now to worry about entertainment slavery.
    Work in Progress!

off on a tangent, but here in the UK there's a programme on saturday night on itv1 'An audience with Les Dawson'. He died 20 years ago, and they are going to do some form of digital hologram to bring him 'live' on the stage in front of a celebrity audience....will be interesting to see how it looks
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    off on a tangent, but here in the UK there's a programme on saturday night on itv1 'An audience with Les Dawson'. He died 20 years ago, and they are going to do some form of digital hologram to bring him 'live' on the stage in front of a celebrity audience....will be interesting to see how it looks
    This is probably what is in the future for Elvis in digital form. If so, then it could lead to modern day movie appearances.

Btw, this commercial is so realistic! You can't tell that it's a digital Elvis.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

I remember when I saw that commercial I watched it a 100 times, I loved it. It just shows how Elvis had great fashion because he doesn't look out dated at all with the other people in the commercial.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Cool advert and the suit, a timeless classic. C&A went under in the UK years ago, or is this something different?

The virtual Elvis was a huge story right well over a year ago-then the company that signed the deal had problems, then CORE announces it will sell EPE so this story is a moot point a year later.
    Work in Progress!

The virtual Elvis was a huge story right well over a year ago-then the company that signed the deal had problems, then CORE announces it will sell EPE so this story is a moot point a year later.
    Not hardly. It's very relevant. http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-...1-1066490.aspx

Jack Soden, chief executive of Elvis Enterprises, which was bought by Core from the Presley family for about $66 million dollars in 2004, believes that the virtual technology could even lead to Presley going on tour again, at least in the shape of his digital image.

That story is so full of errors its funny-Graceland is not part of the deal, Lisa sold 85% of the rights for image and likeness to Sillerman/CKX for over $100 million in cash/stock in CKX and Graceland remains in Lisas hand.... not to CORE....then CKX was bought by Apollo after Sillerman was ousted as CEO and then the name changed to CORE.
    The story of the virtual Elvis is moot-because at this point its no longer certain that the money needed to develope this is going to be available and the company that the deal was signed with has its own financial problems (too much too fast)
    I did not say that sometime in the future this would not be forthcoming-I said this orginal story has imploded by many events that happened since it was announced and nothing more has happened with it.
    Work in Progress!

That story is so full of errors its funny-Graceland is not part of the deal, Lisa sold 85% of the rights for image and likeness to Sillerman/CKX for over $100 million in cash/stock in CKX and Graceland remains in Lisas hand.... not to CORE....then CKX was bought by Apollo after Sillerman was ousted as CEO and then the name changed to CORE.
    The story of the virtual Elvis is moot-because at this point its no longer certain that the money needed to develope this is going to be available and the company that the deal was signed with has its own financial problems (too much too fast)
    I did not say that sometime in the future this would not be forthcoming-I said this orginal story has imploded by many events that happened since it was announced and nothing more has happened with it.
    Ken, I quoted Jack Soden. You wanted it straight from EPE and you got it. Now you're claiming it's "filled with errors". Good grief.

Ken, I quoted Jack Soden. You wanted it straight from EPE and you got it. Now you're claiming it's "filled with errors". Good grief.
    The story was not written by Jack Soden-he is not attributed with anything except what you yourself posted:
    .....Jack Soden, chief executive of Elvis Enterprises, which was bought by Core from the Presley family for about $66 million dollars in 2004, believes that the virtual technology could even lead to Presley going on tour again, at least in the shape of his digital image.

The part about Core buying EPE in 2004 for 66 million in 2004 is the reporters background filler-and it is in error.
    The presentation of this story does not even insure that Soden was interviewed for this piece-it could have been an old quote from 2012 when the story about the Virtual Elvis broke.
    Work in Progress!

The funny thing about this story is that I found it in a couple places-London being one-yet no author is given for the story....
    Work in Progress!

The story was not written by Jack Soden-he is not attributed with anything except what you yourself posted:
    .....Jack Soden, chief executive of Elvis Enterprises, which was bought by Core from the Presley family for about $66 million dollars in 2004, believes that the virtual technology could even lead to Presley going on tour again, at least in the shape of his digital image.

The part about Core buying EPE in 2004 for 66 million in 2004 is the reporters background filler-and it is in error.
    The presentation of this story does not even insure that Soden was interviewed for this piece-it could have been an old quote from 2012 when the story about the Virtual Elvis broke.
    That quote from Soden was also mentioned in another story. Can't find it at the moment as there's many in the google news search.

That quote from Soden was also mentioned in another story. Can't find it at the moment as there's many in the google news search.
    Yes the quote about...."believes that the virtual technology could even lead to Presley going on tour again, at least in the shape of his digital image" is Sodens but nothing else in that story is attributed to Soden the rest is from the unnamed reporter and that reporter is wrong on among other things the $66 million price tag for EPE and on the sale of Graceland itself.
    Work in Progress!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast