Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Digital Domain Media Group and CORE Media Group to Create Virtual Elvis Presley

Re: Digital Domain Media Group and CORE Media Group to Create Virtual Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    This is from the Urabn dictionary of what the word means today.

1. Thug
    As Tupac defined it, a thug is someone who is going through struggles, has gone through struggles, and continues to live day by day with nothing for them. That person is a thug. and the life they are living is the thug life. A thug is NOT a gangster. Look up gangster and gangsta. Not even CLOSE, my friend.

4. thug
    Someone who had nothing, and was nothing, and became something.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thug

4 desribes Elvis to a T.
    A very creative way to excuse thug like behaviour by giving it some new-sympathetic meaning...a thug is a thug when you are mugged, or robbed, or harrassed by someone you do not stand and debate with him on what he is called.
    Work in Progress!

Re: Digital Domain Media Group and CORE Media Group to Create Virtual Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    A very creative way to excuse thug like behaviour by giving it some new-sympathetic meaning...a thug is a thug when you are mugged, or robbed, or harrassed by someone you do not stand and debate with him on what he is called.
    That's called being "closed minded". Not a realist as you love to always point out. Times have changed and meanings have changed with certain terms. I'll just say that I know a young black girl who is the sweetest person in the world and she calls herself a thug, jokingly, but there's nothing violent about her. She's been to my home many times and I trust her and she's never let me down one time. You cannot judge a book by it's cover. Nor can you judge a man by what he says. You judge them by their character.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

This is from the Urabn dictionary of what the word means today.

1. Thug
    As Tupac defined it, a thug is someone who is going through struggles, has gone through struggles, and continues to live day by day with nothing for them. That person is a thug. and the life they are living is the thug life. A thug is NOT a gangster. Look up gangster and gangsta. Not even CLOSE, my friend.

4. thug
    Someone who had nothing, and was nothing, and became something.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thug

4 desribes Elvis to a T.
    Who uses an urban dictionary? This is from Webster Dictionary....again not Elvis.

Noun 1. thug - an aggressive and violent young criminal
    Synonyms: hood, hoodlum, punk, strong-armer, toughie, goon, tough
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

I understand concern, but do not think it's anything to worry about. If anything, it will bring more attention to Elvis and show the world what he was really all about. And I don't know for sure if it will be the same development that we saw with Tupac.

But to call Tupac a thug and not Elvis is not fair. The word "thug" is heavily misinterpreted in society today. It used to mean a a violent person. But the meaning today is of a depressed broke person who feels he has no way in life or society. We all know that Elvis struggled throughout life with depression and loneliness, as to feel unwanted and broken at times, despite rich as hell. Elvis was also known to be violent at times. So, in a way, Elvis was too a Thug. If I'm not mistaken, the harsh critics once referred to him as a thug in the media back in the 50's.
    Elvis was called many things in the 50s, flash in the pan....no talent, hillbilly, bad influence on youth, stripper like, unsophisticated,(see the MM thread) goon, Satans tool, hopped up, Elvis the Pelvis-but I do not recall Thug as being at the top of the list.
    Its amazing how people can take perfectly understandable terms-and give them a new meaning to somehow justify attitudes, actions and lifestyle.
    Work in Progress!

Tupac wasn't a thug pre-fame, it became part of his image during his time with suge knight at death row records. Although coming across as a brainless "thug" he was actually very smart. However, this does not excuse his behaviour in the years leading up to his "murder"

That's called being "closed minded". Not a realist as you love to always point out. Times have changed and meanings have changed with certain terms. I'll just say that I know a young black girl who is the sweetest person in the world and she calls herself a thug, jokingly, but there's nothing violent about her. She's been to my home many times and I trust her and she's never let me down one time. You cannot judge a book by it's cover. Nor can you judge a man by what he says. You judge them by their character.
    Yes I am a realist and why would the word "THUG" suddenly need a new meaning???
    It is perfectly understandable by 98% of the country-but someone decides they do not like the description and its applications so they make a justification of the term and its meaning in order to condone or make more understandable the nature of a THUG....
    Yes I am a realist-and that describes what has happened.
    Work in Progress!

Back to topic....

Lisa Marie is quoted as supporting the "hologram" but nothing is official as to what will be done. However the following is from the recent new article.

Lisa Marie Presley is all good with her father being turned into a virtual image ala Tupac Shakur at this year's Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival.
    Core Media Group, which owns Elvis Presley's name and likeness for project development, and Digital Domain Media Group, which produced the Tupac illusion in April, have announced they intend to create a similar image of The King, with uses that range from a possible duets album and a TV drama series to "performances" at the Graceland mansion in Memphis and perhaps on the road.

I noticed the last part of the pharagraph about "performances at Graceland". They got to have a new facility first before that can happen.

http://www.billboard.com/news/lisa-m...07301152.story

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    Tupac wasn't a thug pre-fame, it became part of his image during his time with suge knight at death row records. Although coming across as a brainless "thug" he was actually very smart. However, this does not excuse his behaviour in the years leading up to his "murder"
    Yes Tupac was smart-but he was shot-why? Why are rappers pretty much the only group of musicians who are involved in situations such as driveby shooting, murders, gang activity..........I once for another member posted links to deaths of rappers by violence and it was literally pages and pages of people involved in rap music........come on this is unique to rap-thugs, gangsters, guns, and turf wars.
    NO one regardless of depression feelings, feeling of no way in society, feeling of loneliness, etc should be involved in shootings or turf wars related to gangs and unfortunately this is the case with some rap artists.
    Work in Progress!

Definition 5 from the Urban Dictionary:
    thug 948 up, 788 down
    "The English word thug, meaning a violent criminal, comes from the Hindi word thag (and originally from the Sanskrit word sthaga), meaning a thief or villain."Back in the 1500's or so ,not really sure about the date, there was a god, in which ladies would come to. They would scarfice items to it, and also cut themselfs and the men would come and still there sacrifics and beat the women and they call themselfs thugs"The original Thugs were bands of roving criminals in India who strangled and robbed travellers. Originally these gangs committed murder following precise religious rites to honour Kali, the Hindu goddess of destruction."
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    That is true. I grew up in the 90's and Tupac was the Elvis of Rap. He was the top dog, the top drawer and the sex symbol. I never liked him until I heard him say that he was cool with Elvis. That had to help a little bit considering what most inner city black kids thought then and now about Elvis.

Definition 5 from the Urban Dictionary:
    thug 948 up, 788 down
    "The English word thug, meaning a violent criminal, comes from the Hindi word thag (and originally from the Sanskrit word sthaga), meaning a thief or villain."Back in the 1500's or so ,not really sure about the date, there was a god, in which ladies would come to. They would scarfice items to it, and also cut themselfs and the men would come and still there sacrifics and beat the women and they call themselfs thugs"The original Thugs were bands of roving criminals in India who strangled and robbed travellers. Originally these gangs committed murder following precise religious rites to honour Kali, the Hindu goddess of destruction."
    Ken, let it go. I posted the link to point out that the urban definition is NOT the same as it was in years past. You're just digging for bones.

Definition 6 from the Urban Dictionary:
    a person who has little respect for others, and him/herself. a thug has a below average iq and likes to take part in illegal activity such as, drug dealing/use, fighting, killing, etc. a thug will go to great lengths to protect his "turf," most likely a street corner, or a sh***y playground. it's easy to spot a thug: on the corner, pants around the knees, bandana or doorag on head, peach-fuzz goatee and a diamond earing, "tough guy" look on face. a thug loves: money, drugs, 40's, extremely loud rap music, fighting, underage girls, being abnoxious, spray paint, doo-rags, weapons, and grills. thugs dislike: reading, smiles, puppies (with exception to pitbulls), rainbows, led zepplin, and skiing.
    a thug likes to protect his turf and act like a bada**, they are animalistic in their attempt to become an alpha-male. we can understand this by looking at nba's ben wallace. he personifies "thug" perfectly by his actions on and off the court.
    Work in Progress!

Yes Tupac was smart-but he was shot-why? Why are rappers pretty much the only group of musicians who are involved in situations such as driveby shooting, murders, gang activity..........I once for another member posted links to deaths of rappers by violence and it was literally pages and pages of people involved in rap music........come on this is unique to rap-thugs, gangsters, guns, and turf wars.
    NO one regardless of depression feelings, feeling of no way in society, feeling of loneliness, etc should be involved in shootings or turf wars related to gangs and unfortunately this is the case with some rap artists.
    Must we forget that Elvis liked ganster films, always rooted for the underdog in life, and grew up in poverty? I think at times some think he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. His views were nothing like most of his fans. Totally the opposite.

Ken, let it go. I posted the link to point out that the urban definition is NOT the same as it was in years past. You're just digging for bones.
    No no my friend- you opened this discussion.
    For the record when the Urban Dictionary becomes "the official norm" for American language perhaps it will have true meaning.
    The problem with changing meanings is "there has to be a purpose" and I have given a pretty convincing argument as to why someone might want to change the meaning of he word THUG.
    Work in Progress!

Must we forget that Elvis liked ganster films, always rooted for the underdog in life, and grew up in poverty? I think at times some think he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. His views were nothing like most of his fans. Totally the opposite.
    I like gangster films also, I have always rooted for the "lawful" underdog.....I grew up in poverty.
    His view of unlawful activity is pretty much on record-he supported and respected POLICE of all kinds....he would not be a fan of driveby shootings, turf wars and unlawful activity.
    Work in Progress!

No no my friend- you opened this discussion.
    For the record when the Urban Dictionary becomes "the official norm" for American language perhaps it will have true meaning.
    The problem with changing meanings is "there has to be a purpose" and I have given a pretty convincing argument as to why someone might want to change the meaning of he word THUG.
    Ken, I wasn't the one who brought this topic up. It was another poster. I just pointed out that the meaning has changed. You're being judgemental to think it still means vicious.

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    Who uses an urban dictionary? This is from Webster Dictionary....again not Elvis.

Noun 1. thug - an aggressive and violent young criminal
    Synonyms: hood, hoodlum, punk, strong-armer, toughie, goon, tough
    I always run to the Urban dictionary when I have question for meanings of words-doesn't everyone.
    Tupac coined a new definition for an age old word is like Jerry Lewis or Jim Carrey rewriting the Bill of Rights.
    Work in Progress!

I like gangster films also, I have always rooted for the "lawful" underdog.....I grew up in poverty.
    His view of unlawful activity is pretty much on record-he supported and respected POLICE of all kinds....he would not be a fan of driveby shootings, turf wars and unlawful activity.
    See, that's your biggest problem. You twist and turn what someone says into something off topic. Never did I say he supported violence. I am totally aware that he supported and befriended cops. He also befriended gangsters. He also befriended former enemies. But that's so far off topic. So please stop adding the race issue to it. I'm done.

Ken, I wasn't the one who brought this topic up. It was another poster. I just pointed out that the meaning has changed. You're being judgemental to think it still means vicious.
    No my friend, 98% of the country thinks THUG means what Websters dictionary says, what similar school used dictionaries say....I can call green red also but it does not make it so.
    Hey lets see if we can get someone to decide for the Urban Dictionary that green is now red-then its official!
    Work in Progress!

See, that's your biggest problem. You twist and turn what someone says into something off topic. Never did I say he supported violence. I am totally aware that he supported and befriended cops. He also befriended gangsters. He also befriended former enemies. But that's so far off topic. So please stop adding the race issue to it. I'm done.
    What gangsters did Elvis ever befriend? Thats a new one, perhaps people who were once enemies but never heard of any gangsters.
    This is not about race-its about a realistic view of the norm of our country. Its about a realistic view of what Elvis was and was not.
    Work in Progress!