Thread: colecting ELVIS getting to expensive?

colecting ELVIS getting to expensive?

as a fan and collector of ELVIS cd's , books and dvds , it sure is crazy what a person spends per month on E,P. product per month , yet i find it worth every penny. ELVIS is just a priority with me , i only buy and listen to his cd's whether it be ftd, sony or some boots , and the photo books and dvds are also a msut for me , at times the prices of these items are quite high. I would love to be a millionaire and own quite a bit more, so is it getting to expensive this great hobby of ours?

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Re: colecting ELVIS getting to expensive?

Yes it does, there are a lot of things that I would love to buy right now. You just have to pick and choose sometimes what is the most important to you and then buy those other things later. I would hate to go back and think of all of the money I have spent over the years and WILL continue to spend.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by lvelvis View Post
    as a fan and collector of ELVIS cd's , books and dvds , it sure is crazy what a person spends per month on E,P. product per month , yet i find it worth every penny. ELVIS is just a priority with me , i only buy and listen to his cd's whether it be ftd, sony or some boots , and the photo books and dvds are also a msut for me , at times the prices of these items are quite high. I would love to be a millionaire and own quite a bit more, so is it getting to expensive this great hobby of ours?
    You and me both My Elvis habit costs me a small fortune, but it makes me happy. Elvis is worth every penny and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

I guess I am that much into "collecting" I spend very littles on Elvis related items-the music is my concern, films, performance videos.
    I did as a young teen collect many things Elvis-but not now. If EPE depended on me for buying their merchandise they would be very disappointed but many people want to have anything and everything Elvis-thats great I'm glad they enjoy collecting Elvis things.
    Work in Progress!

If you want nice product,it costs a lot of money.Examples are the lovely books coming out now,such as King of Las Vegas,which I recently bought for 68 including postage.A better value for money book I recently bought was Elvis in Vegas,a beautiful hardback book costing a quarter of the price.FTD cds are also pricey.I'm very selective when it comes to cds.I recently purchased our memories of Elvis cds,because I remember how good the original lps were.FTDs are great,particularly Live on stage in Memphis,Jungle Room sessions.Better than wasting money I guess.

i know we don't buy/collect to sell , but i do believe one day when we do decide to sell one day that it will bring a good reward , especially if it is quality product. I do believe you have to be selective , but to each his own . I only buy hardback quality photo books , no more softbacks as a matter of fact i got rid of all my tunzi softcover books , and only collect the hardbacks of his and lichter along with all my shaver books . I 'm not interested in plates , cups , but not every fan has the same tastes.

I'm not interested in plates, cups and whatnot, for me it's all about the music. I'm on a mission to get as many live performances as possible, along with studio releases, I have a long way to go and even tho I'm sweet-talking my man into letting me go big on another couple of purchases, I can guarantee something else will catch my eye. For some reason I can never have enough

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

It is definitely an issue of picking and choosing which area of Elvis collecting a fan wants to concentrate on, especially with the economy these days! For those fans that can afford everything, that is awesome (and I'm truly jealous!)

But for me, usually it's the music that I stick with collecting, mainly the FTD material that comes out. I do occasionally wade into the import CD pool when there is something that looks truly special or unique. But for the most part, I stick with the mainstream releases and the FTD material. The thing with FTD is it's hard (for me anyway) to pick and choose on those as well. When the label first started, I bought each release. Then a few years ago, I ran into a bit of a financial crunch so I went the route of picking and choosing on the FTD releases. The problem with that was when I went back to get the items I didn't purchase the first time around, some of them were already out of print and the prices on the secondary market were much higher than if I bought them when they first were released. So, I wound up going back to purchasing each FTD release so that I wouldn't have to worry about shopping on the secondary market again.

So, Elvis collecting can indeed be very expensive...but if a fan focuses on their own niche in terms of what they want to collect the most, they can certainly help cut down the cost.

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

I buy FTD's or boots.....but don't buy cd's with all the solo drum/guitar etc....slots. To me its irritating, a waste of money, I just want to hear El sing.....
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

it sure is hard for me to say no to ftd releases , i sure understand that , once you start to collect one thing i think you come a completist , many a time i'll buy the ftd release just because i have to . and say well i could have bought this or that for 10.00 more. I love nothing more than having a disc that i will play more than once , and owning a book that i will be flipping through more than once. I do agree one has to pick and choose wisely- very hard to do.
    Last edited by lvelvis; 05-30-2012 at 05:19 AM.

It is expensive definately, but when you consider the rarity of some items that by some fluke you find, it's worth it's weight in gold. I believe in a past life I could've been a magpie or pirate, when I see something in shiny packaging, I want it

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    It is expensive definately, but when you consider the rarity of some items that by some fluke you find, it's worth it's weight in gold. I believe in a past life I could've been a magpie or pirate, when I see something in shiny packaging, I want it
    I, Captain!
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy