Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here we go aagain. Womack accuses Elvis of stealing

Re: Here we go aagain. Womack accuses Elvis of stealing

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    Fine Young Cannibals did a decent rendition of Suspicious minds
    Well my personal favourite tribute to that song would always be The Flaming Lips version of it, but that's only cause I'm a big Flaming Lips fan

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I agree. I have to admit I can do without all the people covering Elvis songs. The only one that I thought was ok was No Doubt with Suspicious Minds.

You know what is funny with these kind of shows is that they will interview the popular artist of "today" and most of them are not even around anymore 12 years later. Except one person and that’s Elvis. That's what makes Elvis so unique.
    Well I didn't mind those, Dave Matthews Stuck on You was good to me, and Nora Jones was so classy! that Telecaster solo was beautiful to me. But Chris Issak on black leather doing those clichés, man I kind of felt what maybe Elvis felt when he shoot at tje TV screen when Robert Goulet was there. I actually like some of Issak records, but please man, don't try that path again! lol

Back on Womack, didn't he knew about something called internet, you can't make those lies this days and think anyone is going to just take it. He played on Suspicious Minds and wrote Last Time? yeah right, he also played lead on Mystery Train back in Sun records for both Elvis and Junior Parker, and he also wrote Satisfaction and Paint it Black right? hell he produced The Beatles first album too right? and James Brown stole his dance steps from him.

Not Again .....so tired of that Elvis stole black come on.....Move on Presley din't stole nothing
    Mr Womack needs publicity his records not doing to well i guess
    Me and Elvis
    it's a montage

In his scholarly work Race, Rock, and Elvis,Tennessee State University professor Michael T. Bertrand examined the relationship between popular culture and social change in America and these allegations against Presley. Professor Bertrand postulated that Presley's rock and roll music brought an unprecedented access to African American culture that challenged the 1950s segregated generation to reassess ingrained segregationist stereotypes. The American Historical Review wrote that the author "convincingly argues that the black-and-white character of the sound, as well as Presley's own persona, helped to relax the rigid color line and thereby fed the fires of the civil rights movement." The U.S. government report stated: "Presley has been accused of "stealing" black rhythm and blues, but such accusations indicate little knowledge of his many musical influences." "However much Elvis may have 'borrowed' from black blues performers (e.g., 'Big Boy' Crudup, 'Big Mama' Thornton), he borrowed no less from white country stars (e.g., Ernest Tubb, Bill Monroe) and white pop singers," and most of his borrowings came from the church; its gospel music was his primary musical influence and foundation."
    Work in Progress!

This doesn't help the bigotry argument that Elvis stole black music when he copied The Coasters version of Little Egypt word for word, style for style. But, I actually enjoy their version over Elvis'. His was watered down a bit. Still both are great and classic!

Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

I like the Coasters video better.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

I like the Coasters video better.
    Me too! Nothing against Elvis.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Me too! Nothing against Elvis.
    I'm talking about the video.....
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

If Elvis liked a song "the way it was done by the original artist" thats the way he did them-not just black artists records-but any artists records.
    None of the country, gospel or pop artists have ever had the "stole" argument about him.
    Work in Progress!

It is a better video.
    Work in Progress!

Actually this argument "Elvis stole from black artists" has been investigated by black writers back to 57s Jet magazine by journalists and others since it first "falsely was begun"
    There has never been one serious minded individual who after exploring the facts "with an open mind and no ax to grind" has not concluded it is baseless and false.
    It is born, and perpetuated, by one sided thinking with no real investigation and no belief in any facts that show Elvis was not prejudiced or that he acknowledged his black influences and all his influences.....as Professor Bertrand showed in his book.... Elvis was influnced just as much from country, pop, with a slight edge to gospel music among the 4 basic music Elvis loved.
    It amounts to some want to believe the myth.....because it fits their view of everything.
    Work in Progress!

Cadillac King janice mcclelland's Avatar

Try and post a comment...they delete it!

Quote Originally Posted by janice mcclelland View Post
    Try and post a comment...they delete it!
    Where, no one deleted your comment. I am so sorry if you think so.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Heres a very lenghty article that gives many great comments and photos concerning Elvis and race, pretty much destroys the myth:
    http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvis_not_racist.shtml
    Work in Progress!

Heres another great link to tear down the myth, Snopes, which gets to the bottom of rumors and accusations of all kinds...they also hae a lengthy article showing Elvis was not a rascist and had the greatest respect for all people:
    http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/presley1.asp
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    This doesn't help the bigotry argument that Elvis stole black music when he copied The Coasters version of Little Egypt word for word, style for style. But, I actually enjoy their version over Elvis'. His was watered down a bit. Still both are great and classic!
    Many times Elvis copied a record or demo note for note, style for style, word for word whether it was a black or white artist. It's called being lazy, not stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    Many times Elvis copied a record or demo note for note, style for style, word for word whether it was a black or white artist. It's called being lazy, not stealing.
    Yes many of the demos were actually sung in Elvis style to give Elvis a better idea of how he might sound doing the song.
    PJ Proby comes to mind as one who says he was used many times for Elvis demos because he did sing like Elvis.
    Otis Blackwell I believe also would sing in Elvis style to give Elvis an idea of how he might sound in recording the song.
    Kind of a Catch 22.
    Work in Progress!

Cadillac King janice mcclelland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Where, no one deleted your comment. I am so sorry if you think so.
    I was referring to the article and the link,I tried to post a comment there and they removed it!

Quote Originally Posted by janice mcclelland View Post
    I was referring to the article and the link,I tried to post a comment there and they removed it!
    I am so sorry, weird.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

The unpleasant aspect of this is that Elvis never once dissed any black artist in his entire career-he never once claimed,
    "I solely created the rock and roll sound, I am totally responsible"
    He always acknowledged his roots, heros, and influences and all that is lost in the rush to believe the worst.
    Work in Progress!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast