Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here we go aagain. Womack accuses Elvis of stealing

Here we go aagain. Womack accuses Elvis of stealing

He also claims he played on Suspicious Minds when he never did.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/entertain...ng-553090.html

Personally, I am so tired of this crap. It seems the easy thing for blacks to do is point fingers instead of giving credit where it's due. Before Elvis, blacks didn't even have a voice in popular music because it was segregated. They should all be thanking him for breaking down racial barriers instead of attacking him and using him as some scapegoat to the past. Truth be told, they're jealous. Plain and simple.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone but the facts speak for themselves.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Re: Here we go aagain. Womack accuses Elvis of stealing

I hate reading stuff like that it gets me so p'ed-off. I can't stand all of this stuff he "stole" music, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! Yeah so this no talent guy was going to record Teddy Bear, All Shook Up...ect. This guy is just a no-talent, mad at the world, never made it anywhere kind of guy. People get jealous of success. They see someone who has it all and they wish they had a tenth of the talent, looks and charisma.

This guy and anybody else that is jealous of Elvis needs to read The Penalty of Leadership that sounds like it was written about Elvis.

Whatsoever you write, or paint, or play, or sing, or build, no one will strive to surpass or to slander you, unless your work be stamped with the seal of genius.

Long, long after a great work or a good work has been done, those who are disappointed or envious continue to cry out that it cannot be done.

When a man’s work becomes a standard for the whole world, it also becomes a target for the shafts of the envious few.

Multitudes flocked to worship at the shrine of Wagner, while the little group of those whom he had dethroned and displaced argued angrily that he was no musician at all. Maybe the best line for this article because it is so true.

The Man Who Counts This is a nice speech that Elvis loved too. It says a lot to the critics.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man tumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust, sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Sorry for the rant but this stuff really makes me mad.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

When people repeat the lie that Elvis "stole" black music. I just ask them if they also believe that Nat King Cole stole white music.

This shuts them up straight away.

Even after all these years, people cannot understand that Elvis' music sounded like NOTHING ELSE! The black music at the time was the blues. The white music was country. And then there was Elvis' music. Next time you hear someone say this, just ask them which black singer Elvis stole Love Me Tender from.

KingOfTheWholeWideWorld and JRtherealJR, two excellent posts!

I have listened to Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Ray Charles and all three were brilliant at what they did. However their styles were all the same while Elvis added much more flare and rhythm to his recordings. As good as Maybelline is, Good Rockin' Tonight is even better and more of a masterpiece because of the performance itself.

Here's a video of him and other black entertainers crediting Elvis and at the 4:00 minute mark Bobby sings a much different tune about Elvis. Practically calls him a hero.

I think it was ascertained that he wasn't in Memphis anywhere near the time Elvis recorded Suspicious Minds
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Don't want to be mean, but? shouldn't they search for brain cancer instead?

The guy:

A) He did was an on and off member of Chips Moman American Studios session band, but it is well know which was the line up for each Elvis session there in Jan & Feb 1969 and no, Womack never ever played there. And now he claims that from all records Elvis did there, he actually played on the biggest hit out of those sessions? That was Mr. Reggie Young who was playig by the way the old Scotty Moore guitar used back in the Sun Records days which he gave it as a present to Chips Moman.

B) And no, he didn't wrote Jagger/Richards "The Last Time". The Stones covered "Its All Over Now", a song Womack wrote and here is he story:

Years later, Bobby Womack said in an interview that he had told his manager he did not want the Rolling Stones to record their version of the song, and that he had told Mick Jagger to get his own song. His manager convinced him to let the Rolling Stones record the song. Six months later on receiving the royalty check for the song he told his manager that Mick Jagger could have any song he wanted.

True that "The Last Time" was based in and old gospel tune by the Staple Singers, and it should have been more like (Trad. Arraned by Jagger/Richards) but Womack had anything to do either with the Staple Singers song or with The Stones rewriting of it.

So talking about stealing credit? Mr. Womack its just angry cause despite being a great great talent, he was never able to get it together and make it on his own, and Sir, that had anything to do with skin color (ask Aretha, Sam, Nat, B.B. or Ray).

So talking about never growin up, dude, get old with dignity and stop embarracing youself, you are a very respected musician anyhow...

You are BOBBY WOMACK man!!! How and who is stoping you for making it big during the last 10 years? only you and your stupid regrets. It was his choise to bet it safe as a session guy most of the time, and now he blames Elvis and Mick Jagger? get lost man.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 05-27-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Don't want to be mean, but? shouldn't they search for brain cancer instead?

The guy

A) He did was an on and off member of Chips Moman American Studios session band, but it is well know which was the line up for each Elvis session there in Jan & Feb 1969 and no, Womack never ever played there. And now he claims that from all records Elvis did there, he actually played on the biggest hit out of those sessions? That was Mr. Reggie Young who was playig by the way the old Scotty Moore guitar used back in the Sun Records days which he gave it as a present to Chips Moman.

B) And no, he didn't wrote Jagger/Richards "The Last Time". The Stones covered "Its All Over Now", a song Womack wrote and here is he story:

Years later, Bobby Womack said in an interview that he had told his manager he did not want the Rolling Stones to record their version of the song, and that he had told Mick Jagger to get his own song. His manager convinced him to let the Rolling Stones record the song. Six months later on receiving the royalty check for the song he told his manager that Mick Jagger could have any song he wanted.

True that "The Last Time" was based in and old gospel tune by the Staple Singers, and it should have been more like (Trad. Arraned by Jagger/Richards) but Womack had anything to do either with the Staple Singers song or with The Stones rewriting of it.

So talking about stealing credit? Mr. Womack its just angry cause despite being a great great talent, he was never able to get it together and make it on his own, and Sir, that had anything to do with skin color (ask Aretha, Sam, Nat, B.B. or Ray).

So talking about never growin up, dude, get old with dignity and stop embarracing youself, you are a very respected musician anyhow...

Your BOBBY WOMACK man!!! How is stoping you for making it big during the last 10 years? only you and your stupid regrets. It was his choise to bet it safe as a session guy most of the time, and now he blames Elvis and Mick Jagger? get lost man.
    There's a saying...when the checks stop flowing in people do and say the dumbest things to gain notice. I guess that's what he's doing as nobody today really knows nor cares who he is. Gotta slam an innocent dead man who's an easy target to gain attention so that people know you're still breathing.

Btw, here's the official lineup of actual musicians on Suspicious Minds.

Musicians:
    Elvis Presley: lead vocal
    Reggie Young: guitar
    Bobby Wood: piano
    Bobby Emmons: organ
    Mike Leech: bass guitar
    Gene Chrisman: drums
    Glen Spreen: conductor, viola
    Albert Edelman, Edward Freudberg, Noel Gilbert, Gloria Hendricks, Anna Oldham, Nino Ravarino, Hal Saunders, Mary Snyder, Robert Snyder, Vernon Taylor, John Whelan: violin
    Anne Kendall, Peter Spurbreck: cello
    Norman Prentice, Bobby Shew, Art Vasquez: trumpet
    Johnny Boicie, Archie LeCroque: trombone
    Kenneth Adkins: bass trombone
    Jeannie Green, Ginger Holladay, Mary Holladay, Susan Pilkington, Donna Thatcher: backing vocals
    Released: August 26, 1969

I forgot about the Elvis Lives Show, boy how time flys. Yes he sure did sing a different tune then, he wanted to be on t.v. I guess.

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I forgot about the Elvis Lives Show, boy how time flys. Yes he sure did sing a different tune then, he wanted to be on t.v. I guess.
    That's about the only way he could get on TV.

What a surprise, Mr Womack has an album due for release 11th June 2012. I won't be buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post
    When people repeat the lie that Elvis "stole" black music. I just ask them if they also believe that Nat King Cole stole white music.

This shuts them up straight away.
    Yeah! that's a good one! you can add Ray Charles country affairs to that.

I guess people can't understand the difference between influence and stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    What a surprise, Mr Womack has an album due for release 11th June 2012. I won't be buying it.
    So sad he had to go for cheap shots like this to get notice, he is a brillant and well respected musician on his own and does has his secure place in music history.

So sad he had to go for cheap shots like this to get notice, he is a brillant and well respected musician on his own and does has his secure place in music history.
    Unfortunately it's the way of the world today, most artists just can't let their music do the talking, they have to court controversy just to get attention. I bet his new album is mediocre, no style or substance.

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    KingOfTheWholeWideWorld and JRtherealJR, two excellent posts!

I have listened to Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Ray Charles and all three were brilliant at what they did. However their styles were all the same while Elvis added much more flare and rhythm to his recordings. As good as Maybelline is, Good Rockin' Tonight is even better and more of a masterpiece because of the performance itself.
    They were one of a kind artists-and all were doing what Elvis did-combining styles they had heard all their lives, pop, gospel, country and blues to make a new music-but they are allowed the idea of being influenced-and Elvis supposedly stole ( in somes minds).....double standard.
    Maybelline is an example of how some things seem to be overlooked by those who make these claims-"Maybelline" is very very similar to an old country fiddle tune called "Ida Red" by Bob Wills........ but no one has ever said Chuck stole this country song and made his first big hit-if they even admit the very close sound of the to-they say he adapted it.
    But Elvis is claimed, falsely, to out and out steal his style??? Not fair....but some people do not want the they want the explaination that fits their attitudes.
    Work in Progress!

It is definitely a cheap shot-and it sounds so bitter.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I forgot about the Elvis Lives Show, boy how time flys. .
    Yes I forgot about that one. I think its was a good one for sure. The only thing wrong with it is Chris Issal doing those ridiculous Elvis cliché moves, its embarrasing man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Maybelline is an example of how some things seem to be overlooked by those who make these claims-"Maybelline" is very very similar to an old country fiddle tune called "Ida Red" by Bob Wills........ but no one has ever said Chuck stole this country song and made his first big hit-if they even admit the very close sound of the to-they say he adapted it.
    But Elvis is claimed, falsely, to out and out steal his style??? Not fair....but some people do not want the they want the explaination that fits their attitudes.
    Chuck Berry, ten years older than Elvis, who since the mid 40's to early 50's had worked in clubs playing Blues an R&B but without achieving a sound of his own, record companies rejected him as nobody wanted another T-Bone Walker. And then suddenly, and in order to get some attention, here is in Berry's own words: "Curiosity provoked me to lay a lot of our country stuff on our predominantly black audience and some of our black audience began whispering 'who is that black hillbilly at the Cosmo?' After they laughed at me a few times they began requesting the hillbilly stuff and enjoyed dancing to it."

At the same time a young cat from Memphis in the Sun Records label under the weird name of Elvis was getting extremely popular among teenagers with his blending of white and black styles plus a unique high octane raw energy of his. When Berry met Leonard Chess, -and that was months AFTER ELVIS PRESLEY HAD RECORDED AND RELEASED HIS THIRD SUN SINGLE- and showed him his blues licks, Mr. Chess was not impresed at all and was about to kick Berry out of the studio until Berry tried his Ida Reed, instantly, Mr. Chess knew he had an answer to Sam Philips rising star in Memphis who was getting more popular than old Muddy Waters or any other Chess star among young black people in the south, or particulary among teenagers anywhere in the States.

The thing is, Sun Records was a small label that wasn't able to even distribute his stuff in the whole U.S.A. needless to say to go international, while Chess was a solid label. If Elvis Sun Singles didn't went top ten at Billboards was only because of Sun Records lack of distribution and promotion deals, that's why both: Elvis needed RCA, and Sam needed to sell Elvis for the benefit of the Sun label. On the other hand, as soon as Berry's Maybellene was released early '55, became and inmediate national #5 hit. Elvis first national/international hit became like year latter when he moved to RCA and Hearbreak Hotel was released.

So in most parts of the U.S as well as in international territory, Chuck Berry was first (and his rock and roll sound was 100% black, yeah right), then came Elvis copying him like half a year latter, big lol right?

Now here's a beauty, how many Black stars does aknowledge the influence white country/bluegrass/folk music had on african american Blues music? as Blues is not african but african american form of music right? Or the infuence of other kinds of "white music" on Jazz music?

We know though that Elvis is on record aknowledgin the blues and the black sounds as a huge influence on his music, and he always made sure the names of Arthur Crudup or Junior Parked or Chuck Berry were in the credits so...
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 05-28-2012 at 01:49 AM.

Yes I forgot about that one. I think its was a good one for sure. The only thing wrong with it is Chris Issal doing those ridiculous Elvis cliché moves, its embarrasing man!!!
    I agree. I have to admit I can do without all the people covering Elvis songs. The only one that I thought was ok was No Doubt with Suspicious Minds.

You know what is funny with these kind of shows is that they will interview the popular artist of "today" and most of them are not even around anymore 12 years later. Except one person and that’s Elvis. That's what makes Elvis so unique.

RIP Tommy

Fine Young Cannibals did a decent rendition of Suspicious minds
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast