Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 202

Thread: I have a big problem with this

  1. #41
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    As big as Graceland is for Memphis, it's not the top money making business. FedEx is. The redevelopment part is about to happen as of this November as ground breaking is set to begin on what will be a 3-phase 3-year project, starting at E. Brooks down three miles to Shelby Drive. The city is doing its part, albeit 30 years too late, but at least they're finally getting it done. It's now time for EPE to live up to their end of the bargain and deliver by making drastic needed upgrades, starting with a new hotel and a new visitor's center. Their main excuse was that the city had to get involved before they could invest $250 million into the area. Now that the city is doing their part, EPE needs to do theirs. And the economy isn't as much an issue now as it was 3-5 years ago. And CKX is no longer going broke and is under strong stable ownership in Apollo. So no more excuses can be made.

    Time for them to put up or shut up.
    Graceland brings in a total to Memphis that is hard to measure (unlike Fedex which has definite numbers for exact amounts) How much tourism money ends up in local restaurants, hotels, parks, airlines, etc.....Gracelands total is just not measured in their figures but in money that is spent elsewhere.
    It is time for APOLLO to stand up-EPE is waiting to see what they will do!
    Work in Progress!

  2. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    169

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    i just think as most fans it is time for an expansion and reno, we all know many fans are complaining of certain hotels and plaza's resturaunts. I believe it would just look and make new fans feel better about being a fan of one if not THE GREATEST ENTERTAINER EVER. This has bin talked and talked about in many fans circles , the city of memohis and E.P.E. please get together again and hammer out the details and whatever else , before GRACELAND becomes a ghostland. You would think that this would have bin done years ago , the last time i was at graceland 2008 , i left so angry as many of the tourists were saying how the hotel was a dump and the area around graceland was less than desirable , in reality they were right , it is definetly for an upgrade.

  3. #43
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    I was there 2 years ago and back in 1989, I was sad that I had to leave not angry. I will be there this August and it will be sad to leave. I love it there, its The King’s world.

    Part of me would hate to see the buildings knocked down to build something better. You can see in some pictures as Elvis is pulling out of Graceland you can see some of the strip mall across the street, mainly the small building on the right. I can remember being in that little building when I was 11 years old back in 89 and how excited I was to be there for the first time. So part of me would hate to see some of that gone.

    But if they never change anything with those buildings across the street it will never stop me from coming back. All that matters to me is nothing ever happens to the house. That would feel like loosing our man again.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  4. #44
    TCB Mafia debtdbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ilkley, Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I was there 2 years ago and back in 1989, I was sad that I had to leave not angry. I will be there this August and it will be sad to leave. I love it there, its The King’s world.

    Part of me would hate to see the buildings knocked down to build something better. You can see in some pictures as Elvis is pulling out of Graceland you can see some of the strip mall across the street, mainly the small building on the right. I can remember being in that little building when I was 11 years old back in 89 and how excited I was to be there for the first time. So part of me would hate to see some of that gone.

    But if they never change anything with those buildings across the street it will never stop me from coming back. All that matters to me is nothing ever happens to the house. That would feel like loosing our man again.

    Well said
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

  5. #45
    TCB Mafia Snake Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I was there 2 years ago and back in 1989, I was sad that I had to leave not angry. I will be there this August and it will be sad to leave. I love it there, its The King’s world.

    Part of me would hate to see the buildings knocked down to build something better. You can see in some pictures as Elvis is pulling out of Graceland you can see some of the strip mall across the street, mainly the small building on the right. I can remember being in that little building when I was 11 years old back in 89 and how excited I was to be there for the first time. So part of me would hate to see some of that gone.

    But if they never change anything with those buildings across the street it will never stop me from coming back. All that matters to me is nothing ever happens to the house. That would feel like loosing our man again.


    Although I have not been to Graceland (yet), this statement speaks volumes to me, spoken by a true fan

  6. #46

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    [/B]

    Although I have not been to Graceland (yet), this statement speaks volumes to me, spoken by a true fan
    Just wait till you see it (the visitor's center as it is now and has been for the past 20 years) in person. You'll change your mind fast.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

  7. #47
    TCB Mafia Snake Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Just wait till you see it (the visitor's center as it is now and has been for the past 20 years) in person. You'll change your mind fast.
    This really is a bone of contention for you isn't it? I don't have any concrete plans to go back to the States until my kids are a few years older, even then, if I get the chance to go to Memphis, it will be a flying visit and I'd imagine I'd be so excited at the prospect of actually being in Elvis' home, that I'd be wearing blinkers to anything undesirable.

    Hopefully when my time comes, everything will be perfect

  8. #48
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by lvelvis View Post
    i just think as most fans it is time for an expansion and reno, we all know many fans are complaining of certain hotels and plaza's resturaunts. I believe it would just look and make new fans feel better about being a fan of one if not THE GREATEST ENTERTAINER EVER. This has bin talked and talked about in many fans circles , the city of memohis and E.P.E. please get together again and hammer out the details and whatever else , before GRACELAND becomes a ghostland. You would think that this would have bin done years ago , the last time i was at graceland 2008 , i left so angry as many of the tourists were saying how the hotel was a dump and the area around graceland was less than desirable , in reality they were right , it is definetly for an upgrade.
    I have said this many times-I reject the idea that somehow without huge "state of the art" facilities, huge expensive new exhibits, huge "Disney like" improvements that Graceland and the attraction of Elvis will end up- A GHOSTLAND.
    Many of us older fans have heard these things before-all the way back to 1956 "Elvis Presley is a flash in the pan-he can not last"
    When entering the service it was said "Now he will be away for a couple years, pop music is fickle and his career is over"
    When he began formula films....."Elvis is now no longer a rock star, hes a film star-in crappy movies..... its over"
    When the Beatles hit in 64........"Elvis is old hat, hes no longer the King of Rock"
    When he died some said..........."Elvis ended badly, his talent is gone and soon he will be a memory meaning nothing to anyone"
    NONE of those type comments from different eras -was even close to accurate.......MEMPHIS could rot and the charismatic draw of Elvis would still remain.
    For all of you who seem to think otherwise, and lets face it that is the indercurrent idea that always pops up in these argument-the stealth message that spurs one sides debate.........
    Elvis, which Graceland represents to the world, will always draw people......there is no magic redevelopement or plan that will ever become the focal point of why people come to "his home"...... the focal point "is not" how well the mansion looks, or how modern the estate has become, or how the grass looks year in year out (I'm sure a few brown spots occured even when Elvis was alive) the focal point is:
    "This is where the most charismatic artist lived his life out, this is the spot he choice out of literally anywhere on earth to call "HOME"
    Forgive me if I "realize" that truth.
    For all you who want Elvis to be the biggest hottest thing in music able to compete with live artists and to be as hot as the "flavor of the months" it just can not be....but that does not mean Elvis can not gain fans, draw fans as he always has throughout his entire career-alive or dead....by the power of what made him the hottest thing in the world at the start-his magnitisim, his one of a kind talent and charisma like very few people who have walked the earth.
    My daughter went to Graceland in 2009 during Thanksgiving week-she in passing mentioned her hotel, she liked the restaurants they ate in, she loved Beale Street and Sun Studios-but the bulk of her conversation when she talked to me about her trip-was walking in the home that Elvis lived in, seeing his living room, seeing things he lived amonst.....feeling that feeling of someone special walked these halls. She is 28......and more a Beatle fan than Elvis-but she did not go because she heard of some major new exhibit or addition to Memphis or Graceland-she went to see Elvis's home. My daughter is not untypical of most who go there.
    Work in Progress!

  9. #49
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    Well said
    Thank you very much.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  10. #50
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    This really is a bone of contention for you isn't it? I don't have any concrete plans to go back to the States until my kids are a few years older, even then, if I get the chance to go to Memphis, it will be a flying visit and I'd imagine I'd be so excited at the prospect of actually being in Elvis' home, that I'd be wearing blinkers to anything undesirable.

    Hopefully when my time comes, everything will be perfect
    Thank you for your kind reply. I'am a true fan, I love everything about Elvis.

    I hope you do get a chance to go to Graceland someday. I do not think you will ever feel disappointed, I never have. As I said before the thing that matters the most to me is that the house never changes. I really do think you can feel his presense there. I feel at home in Elvis' home.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  11. #51

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I have said this many times-I reject the idea that somehow without huge "state of the art" facilities, huge expensive new exhibits, huge "Disney like" improvements that Graceland and the attraction of Elvis will end up- A GHOSTLAND.
    Many of us older fans have heard these things before-all the way back to 1956 "Elvis Presley is a flash in the pan-he can not last"
    When entering the service it was said "Now he will be away for a couple years, pop music is fickle and his career is over"
    When he began formula films....."Elvis is now no longer a rock star, hes a film star-in crappy movies..... its over"
    When the Beatles hit in 64........"Elvis is old hat, hes no longer the King of Rock"
    When he died some said..........."Elvis ended badly, his talent is gone and soon he will be a memory meaning nothing to anyone"
    NONE of those type comments from different eras -was even close to accurate.......MEMPHIS could rot and the charismatic draw of Elvis would still remain.
    For all of you who seem to think otherwise, and lets face it that is the indercurrent idea that always pops up in these argument-the stealth message that spurs one sides debate.........
    Elvis, which Graceland represents to the world, will always draw people......there is no magic redevelopement or plan that will ever become the focal point of why people come to "his home"...... the focal point "is not" how well the mansion looks, or how modern the estate has become, or how the grass looks year in year out (I'm sure a few brown spots occured even when Elvis was alive) the focal point is:
    "This is where the most charismatic artist lived his life out, this is the spot he choice out of literally anywhere on earth to call "HOME"
    Forgive me if I "realize" that truth.
    For all you who want Elvis to be the biggest hottest thing in music able to compete with live artists and to be as hot as the "flavor of the months" it just can not be....but that does not mean Elvis can not gain fans, draw fans as he always has throughout his entire career-alive or dead....by the power of what made him the hottest thing in the world at the start-his magnitisim, his one of a kind talent and charisma like very few people who have walked the earth.
    My daughter went to Graceland in 2009 during Thanksgiving week-she in passing mentioned her hotel, she liked the restaurants they ate in, she loved Beale Street and Sun Studios-but the bulk of her conversation when she talked to me about her trip-was walking in the home that Elvis lived in, seeing his living room, seeing things he lived amonst.....feeling that feeling of someone special walked these halls. She is 28......and more a Beatle fan than Elvis-but she did not go because she heard of some major new exhibit or addition to Memphis or Graceland-she went to see Elvis's home. My daughter is not untypical of most who go there.
    All that is true and I can't argue with it. However, EPE and Graceland operations are a business and records show that no major business can survive longevity if they don't invest and expand. The only reason Graceland has survived as is this long is because of the die hard fans who couldn't care less if they have nowhere to stand or sit as long as they can see Graceland. And because of that, EPE hasn't cared about expanding. That won't be able to continue in a few years when the baby boomer age group has died off and EPE has to begin to cater to 20 and 30 something crowds on average.

    I was looking online the other day and stumbled across a site that mentioned how factories in general have tripled in size since the 1950's. Most averaged around 25,000 square feet back then. Now are averaging at around 100,000 square feet today.

    EPE has constantly bragged about their figures being 50% or better of visitors being under 40 for the last decade now. But they also have mentioned that only 20% of all visitors are returnees. Meaning that 80% of newcomers don't return. If that is true, and EPE/CKX/Apollo fails to upgrade and expand to make a new generation of visitors want to come back, then that does NOT bode well the future of Graceland/EPE as a business.

    As a life long fan and someone who grew up there, I just don't want to see Graceland close because of lack of upkeep and upgrading.

    Another thing, your daughter was referring to the hotels and restaurants in DOWNTOWN, not at Graceland. Another reason they MUST expand and upgrade sooner than later, for the company's sake if nothing else.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

  12. #52
    TCB Mafia debtdbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ilkley, Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I have said this many times-I reject the idea that somehow without huge "state of the art" facilities, huge expensive new exhibits, huge "Disney like" improvements that Graceland and the attraction of Elvis will end up- A GHOSTLAND.
    Many of us older fans have heard these things before-all the way back to 1956 "Elvis Presley is a flash in the pan-he can not last"
    When entering the service it was said "Now he will be away for a couple years, pop music is fickle and his career is over"
    When he began formula films....."Elvis is now no longer a rock star, hes a film star-in crappy movies..... its over"
    When the Beatles hit in 64........"Elvis is old hat, hes no longer the King of Rock"
    When he died some said..........."Elvis ended badly, his talent is gone and soon he will be a memory meaning nothing to anyone"
    NONE of those type comments from different eras -was even close to accurate.......MEMPHIS could rot and the charismatic draw of Elvis would still remain.
    For all of you who seem to think otherwise, and lets face it that is the indercurrent idea that always pops up in these argument-the stealth message that spurs one sides debate.........
    Elvis, which Graceland represents to the world, will always draw people......there is no magic redevelopement or plan that will ever become the focal point of why people come to "his home"...... the focal point "is not" how well the mansion looks, or how modern the estate has become, or how the grass looks year in year out (I'm sure a few brown spots occured even when Elvis was alive) the focal point is:
    "This is where the most charismatic artist lived his life out, this is the spot he choice out of literally anywhere on earth to call "HOME"
    Forgive me if I "realize" that truth.
    For all you who want Elvis to be the biggest hottest thing in music able to compete with live artists and to be as hot as the "flavor of the months" it just can not be....but that does not mean Elvis can not gain fans, draw fans as he always has throughout his entire career-alive or dead....by the power of what made him the hottest thing in the world at the start-his magnitisim, his one of a kind talent and charisma like very few people who have walked the earth.
    My daughter went to Graceland in 2009 during Thanksgiving week-she in passing mentioned her hotel, she liked the restaurants they ate in, she loved Beale Street and Sun Studios-but the bulk of her conversation when she talked to me about her trip-was walking in the home that Elvis lived in, seeing his living room, seeing things he lived amonst.....feeling that feeling of someone special walked these halls. She is 28......and more a Beatle fan than Elvis-but she did not go because she heard of some major new exhibit or addition to Memphis or Graceland-she went to see Elvis's home. My daughter is not untypical of most who go there.
    You 'talk' a lot of sense Ken........
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

  13. #53
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    All that is true and I can't argue with it. However, EPE and Graceland operations are a business and records show that no major business can survive longevity if they don't invest and expand. The only reason Graceland has survived as is this long is because of the die hard fans who couldn't care less if they have nowhere to stand or sit as long as they can see Graceland. And because of that, EPE hasn't cared about expanding. That won't be able to continue in a few years when the baby boomer age group has died off and EPE has to begin to cater to 20 and 30 something crowds on average.

    I was looking online the other day and stumbled across a site that mentioned how factories in general have tripled in size since the 1950's. Most averaged around 25,000 square feet back then. Now are averaging at around 100,000 square feet today.

    EPE has constantly bragged about their figures being 50% or better of visitors being under 40 for the last decade now. But they also have mentioned that only 20% of all visitors are returnees. Meaning that 80% of newcomers don't return. If that is true, and EPE/CKX/Apollo fails to upgrade and expand to make a new generation of visitors want to come back, then that does NOT bode well the future of Graceland/EPE as a business.

    As a life long fan and someone who grew up there, I just don't want to see Graceland close because of lack of upkeep and upgrading.

    Another thing, your daughter was referring to the hotels and restaurants in DOWNTOWN, not at Graceland. Another reason they MUST expand and upgrade sooner than later, for the company's sake if nothing else.
    Comparing Graceland the only real home for Elvis Presley to uh ATT or Shell Oil is apples and oranges.
    You have to have phone service, you have to have gas for your car-you do not love the products they have-you buy them out of necessity.
    Elvis is loved, adored world wide by many millions (not just boomer generations- the many younger fans right here at TCB world proves that) you say you can not disagree with my last thoughts-but you then say "You'd hate to see Graceland close due to lack of upkeep and upgrading" ?
    I asked my daughter if a hotel closer to the mansion would have been preferable and she said it did not matter-intown was not that far to go to the mansion ( I repeat my daughter is 28 and the group of friends who went with her were all under 30 hardly anywhere near boomer age)
    As far as upkeep-that is done, as far as upgrading that is done the planes were not cheap, the renovations to the Raquetball court to make it code worthy for the public by government standards is not free, buying up cars to add to the car museum and restoring them not cheap, it took years to reach an agreement to buy outright the 68 special and Aloha-it did not come cheap.........your argument is always the same Elvis and Graceland will disapear without "MAJOR Expansion" I could go back to other threads and that is the argument you make.
    So you do not agree with my thoughts really.... you feel that the charima, talent and magnitism of Elvis's personality will perish without a new grand Hotel, a new "state of the art facility to become a main museum housing things from the mansion" that without these things Graceland will somehow crumble and close.
    I repeat people do not go to Graceland for what has been added since Elvis died-they go because it was his home-pure and wonderfully simple.
    Many people only go to Disneyland once-I have been there once and I enjoyed it but once was enough.....after children are grown you definitely are not going again-but the wonderful thing is this world has billions of people and Disneyland still gets visitors-they add new things-but the park is still much as it was when I went there in the early 70s. The crowds of Disneyland are immense traffic around that area is murder and if you have ever waited in line for 4 hours for a ride (we waited that long to take the submarine ride) you are not anxious to do so again.
    Would the locals be happy in Memphis if they had the municipal nightmares of that type traffic that type crowds everyday???
    I have heard people who live in Memphis complain about the crowds and confusion when the Birthday and death anniversary crowds are in town.
    I have another thought-Elvis could have had a huge state of the art home anywhere in the world-he could have had the 100 room Neverland ranch type of house.......if.....he...had wanted it! He chose to stay at Graceland-HIS HOME!
    The attraction to Memphis for the world is not what you crave and say is necessity-it is the simplistic idea that this is his home-he walked, played, ate and slept here. Adding things is fine, but calling it a make or break situation is false IMO
    Work in Progress!

  14. #54
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    I know many think I defend EPE way to much-and to many they are the villains.....as bad as Parker, or Hollywood producers who used Elvis and kept him boxed into bad movies......but I actually see big differences and make allowances for those in my thoughts and feelings about EPE.
    Parker was a manipulator of all things, he knew what he was doing and knew how to handle Elvis from day one-he set his sights upon Elvis from the moment he became aware of him and landed him....on his terms. He managed Elvis from a perpetual conflect of interest that was ongoing for the entire relationship-he never worried about creativity, growth of Elvis as an artist or human being-he worried about profit. Parker put himself in Elvis's life purposely and staked a claim.
    So did Hal Wallis and most of the producers of any film Elvis ever did, with Parkers help they signed Elvis with thoughts of becoming a serious actor-and then exploited him for nearly his entire Hollywood film career-they purposely got into Elvis's career and staked claims to make a profit. Not caring if Elvis stagnated into hating his own films.
    RCA in conjunction with Parker never paid Elvis a royaltee rate on par with similar and even lesser artists for his entire career-they with Parkers help hoodwinked away 90% of Elvis catalogue for a pittance they purposely got involved with his life getting the lions share of the pie.

    EPE was created out of necessity of death and improper financial planning that was partially caused by Parker, Hollywood, RCA and Elvis's trusting these entities and yes Elvis's own spending habits.
    EPE did not jump into his life with the idea of enriching themselves-they were formed out of legal direction from a probate court-to protect and grow the estate....with little but the image of Elvis to work with.
    They have accomplished that goal many times over they have not just sat around twiddling their thumbs letting the estate crumble or Elvis's name to perish into oblivion. To insinuate they have is to ignore the fact that the estate has grown from $500,000 IN 81 TO its present size....to ignore that Sillerman gave $100 million to Lisa plus stock in CKX plus 15% of Elvis's image and she still outright owns Graceland and his property.
    Now I have said this before in these arguments I do not like all they have done, do not like some of the merchandise they market (indeed I do not buy trinkets) but and this is my point.......I understand the necessity of their plight.
    Am I against renovations or additions NO am I against expansion NO but I am against the argument that EPE has slept the last 35 years with nothing to show for it, I am against the argument that they are just Parker incanate.... because they did not jump into the Presley world like Parker, or Hollywood, or RCA....they were brought in because of death and the aftermath of the exploitation by Parker, Hollywood and RCA.
    Also the whole Graceland will close argument is just bogus IMO for reasons I have already stated-mainly because I know how real lifelong fans become such-and it has nothing to do with musuems, additions, nor even basic upkeep-it has to do with ELVIS.
    EPE gets a nod of thanks from me-for doing what Elvis asked, in a no win situation. They are blamed for no new material in the vaults, for not having better marketing of Elvis as an artist, for no new EOT/TTWII with hours and hours of outtakes etc they had nothing to do directily with any of those things.
    EPE took the next step with Sillerman, and now Apollo.....why not contact those people....e-mail them and complain, start a letter writing campaign. an online petition etc.......tell Apollo you want the thngs you seem to think "have to be done" they have the sayso-no if ans or buts they will decide when anything of large consequence is done-not EPE... not we fans, not even Lisa.
    I hope this explains my position (which will not change because the basic facts will never change)
    We all have passionate subjects and this is one of mine.
    Last edited by KPM; 05-29-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Work in Progress!

  15. #55
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    You know what is a interesting thought. If you built a huge shrine to Elvis in another state, let’s say California. You could build a 100,000 square foot state-of-the-art building and have a movie theater that plays all Elvis movies all day, have every car, clothing, jewelry that Elvis ever owned and a replica of Graceland that allows everyone to go upstairs. Would people from all over the world flock to see this addition? I don't think so it's where Elvis lived that makes Graceland so special. Not "necessarily" the amenities that attract the almost a million people each year.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  16. #56
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Graceland is a long way from closing. It is fine.

    I agree, the surrounding area could use some tastefull upgrades, but huge expansion and gaudy exhibits will only detract from the real purpose of visiting Elvis' home. It just isn't needed.

  17. #57
    TCB Mafia debtdbruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ilkley, Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I know many think I defend EPE way to much-and to many they are the villains.....as bad as Parker, or Hollywood producers who used Elvis and kept him boxed into bad movies......but I actually see big differences and make allowances for those in my thoughts and feelings about EPE.
    Parker was a manipulator of all things, he knew what he was doing and knew how to handle Elvis from day one-he set his sights upon Elvis from the moment he became aware of him and landed him....on his terms. He managed Elvis from a perpetual conflect of interest that was ongoing for the entire relationship-he never worried about creativity, growth of Elvis as an artist or human being-he worried about profit. Parker put himself in Elvis's life purposely and staked a claim.
    So did Hal Wallis and most of the producers of any film Elvis ever did, with Parkers help they signed Elvis with thoughts of becoming a serious actor-and then exploited him for nearly his entire Hollywood film career-they purposely got into Elvis's career and staked claims to make a profit. Not caring if Elvis stagnated into hating his own films.
    RCA in conjunction with Parker never paid Elvis a royaltee rate on par with similar and even lesser artists for his entire career-they with Parkers help hoodwinked away 90% of Elvis catalogue for a pittance they purposely got involved with his life getting the lions share of the pie.

    EPE was created out of necessity of death and improper financial planning that was partially caused by Parker, Hollywood, RCA and Elvis's trusting these entities and yes Elvis's own spending habits.
    EPE did not jump into his life with the idea of enriching themselves-they were formed out of legal direction from a probate court-to protect and grow the estate....with little but the image of Elvis to work with.
    They have accomplished that goal many times over they have not just sat around twiddling their thumbs letting the estate crumble or Elvis's name to perish into oblivion. To insinuate they have is to ignore the fact that the estate has grown from $500,000 IN 81 TO its present size....to ignore that Sillerman gave $100 million to Lisa plus stock in CKX plus 15% of Elvis's image and she still outright owns Graceland and his property.
    Now I have said this before in these arguments I do not like all they have done, do not like some of the merchandise they market (indeed I do not buy trinkets) but and this is my point.......I understand the necessity of their plight.
    Am I against renovations or additions NO am I against expansion NO but I am against the argument that EPE has slept the last 35 years with nothing to show for it, I am against the argument that they are just Parker incanate.... because they did not jump into the Presley world like Parker, or Hollywood, or RCA....they were brought in because of death and the aftermath of the exploitation by Parker, Hollywood and RCA.
    Also the whole Graceland will close argument is just bogus IMO for reasons I have already stated-mainly because I know how real lifelong fans become such-and it has nothing to do with musuems, additions, nor even basic upkeep-it has to do with ELVIS.
    EPE gets a nod of thanks from me-for doing what Elvis asked, in a no win situation. They are blamed for no new material in the vaults, for not having better marketing of Elvis as an artist, for no new EOT/TTWII with hours and hours of outtakes etc they had nothing to do directily with any of those things.
    EPE took the next step with Sillerman, and now Apollo.....why not contact those people....e-mail them and complain, start a letter writing campaign. an online petition etc.......tell Apollo you want the thngs you seem to think "have to be done" they have the sayso-no if ans or buts they will decide when anything of large consequence is done-not EPE... not we fans, not even Lisa.
    I hope this explains my position (which will not change because the basic facts will never change)
    We all have passionate subjects and this is one of mine.
    that sums up my opinion too
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

  18. #58
    TCB Mafia Snake Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    Thank you for your kind reply. I'am a true fan, I love everything about Elvis.

    I hope you do get a chance to go to Graceland someday. I do not think you will ever feel disappointed, I never have. As I said before the thing that matters the most to me is that the house never changes. I really do think you can feel his presense there. I feel at home in Elvis' home.
    You're welcome Chris, what really matters is Graceland itself, it's the heart of it all. Like I've said before tho, I'll wait until my kids are a bit older, but we will go

  19. #59
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    Its called 'Elvis and us'

    Not all about the Beatles, there's Elvis memorabilia there too. I'm going in August
    Apparently according to my daughter that went there last year, the Music Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio has several room dedicated to some great Elvis memorabilia...including his purple cadillac, I wouldn't mind going there myself.

  20. #60
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: I have a big problem with this

    I found out a little info on the Beatles Liverpool museum it was established in 1988 and opened in 1990. In the last couple of years they have added the newer building in the photo posted at the start of the thread.
    Here is the answer to the question -Do the Beatles have anything to do with the Beatles Story? from the museum website:
    The Beatles Story is owned by Merseytravel, the public transport governing body for Merseyside.
    The remaining Beatles are aware that our visitor attraction exists, but do not endorse it in anyway.
    We have extensive links to the Beatles industry and many of the Beatles friends and family who give its continued support.
    Work in Progress!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a problem with this site
    By presley31 in forum Off topic
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 03:14 PM
  2. Anybody else having a problem with Youtube?
    By Elvis and Johnny in forum Off topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 12:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •