Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Sahara Hotel

  1. #1
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Sahara Hotel

    It looks like they will not tear down the Sahara Hotel, it will be remodeled. I'm glad to see something Elvis performed in will not be knocked down.

    Click the link to read more:

    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/o...strip-16254466
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  2. #2
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Yes thats good news it being remodeled instead of demolished....Vegas of today looks nothing like the Vegas of 69 or even 77 when Elvis died so its nice something of the past is being kept.
    Work in Progress!

  3. #3
    TCB Mafia buttonhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Branson, MO
    Posts
    1,569

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    vegas today is awesome, although look a lot like circus, ... I was there last year with a girlfriend, and I was there too on the last year of Elvis Museum was in 2007 I think. * memory loss * l

    I believe the Aladdin Hotel where Elvis got married was imploded in 1998, long story short they fell on a bankruptcy in 2003 and now they are in a different management and their named has changed to Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino.

  4. #4

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Did Elvis really perform at the Las Vegas Sahara? I know about him doing the shows at the one in Lake Tahoe but didn't know he did in Vegas outside of the Hilton. Unless it's where he performed in 1956 with Liberace and he got a lukewarm reception.

    About Vegas today. It's not the Vegas Elvis once performed in, that's for sure. But it's a much bigger and better Vegas. The famous strip though has ran out of real estate on the south end to develop new resorts because of the airport. The only new developments to that strip will have to be to the north of the strip. This should really help the historical Las Vegas Hotel (formerly known as the Las Vegas Hilton-International, which is located one street over to the east of Las Vegas Boulevard on the north side.
    Last edited by vivaelvis; 05-02-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Did Elvis really perform at the Las Vegas Sahara? I know about him doing the shows at the one in Lake Tahoe but didn't know he did in Vegas outside of the Hilton. Unless it's where he performed in 1956 with Liberace and he got a lukewarm reception.

    About Vegas today. It's not the Vegas Elvis once performed in, that's for sure. But it's a much bigger and better Vegas. The famous strip though has ran out of real estate on the south end to develop new resorts because of the airport. The only new developments to that strip will have to be to the north of the strip. This should really help the historical Las Vegas Hotel (formerly known as the Las Vegas Hilton-International, which is located one street over to the east of Las Vegas Boulevard on the north side.
    Yes, in 74. It is on a FTD CD too or unless its a different Sahara Hotel, but I think so. Like you said, I think he performed there in 56.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  6. #6
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Its certainly a much more crowded Vegas, I went through Vegas in 1968 on a vacation to California and the lights seemed endless but the strip was much shorter than I imagined before seeing it in person-my daughter went on vacation to Vegas in 09 and she said everything was huge but it was just way to crowded everywhere they went. She expected crowds but this was over the top-breathing room only crowded.
    Work in Progress!

  7. #7

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    Yes, in 74. It is on a FTD CD too or unless its a different Sahara Hotel, but I think so. Like you said, I think he performed there in 56.
    Elvis performed at the Sahara in Lake Tahoe, NV in 1974. Not at the Sahara in Las Vegas. Elvis was under strict contract with Hilton at that time and could only perform in the Hilton Hotel while in Las Vegas. The MGM Grand tried to sign Elvis after his 1973 deal ran out, but Parker convinced him to resign with Hilton instead for more money.

    The FTD disc that you are referring to is from Lake Tahoe called Big Boss Man.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Elvis performed at the Sahara in Lake Tahoe, NV in 1974. Not at the Sahara in Las Vegas. Elvis was under strict contract with Hilton at that time and could only perform in the Hilton Hotel while in Las Vegas. The MGM Grand tried to sign Elvis after his 1973 deal ran out, but Parker convinced him to resign with Hilton instead for more money.

    The FTD disc that you are referring to is from Lake Tahoe called Big Boss Man.
    Oh yeah you are right. The CD I was referring to was called Elvis High Sierra, I know there is a Big Boss Man CD but that is not the one I was talking about.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  9. #9

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    Oh yeah you are right. The CD I was referring to was called Elvis High Sierra, I know there is a Big Boss Man CD but that is not the one I was talking about.
    Gotcha. Still trying to figure out though how the Sahara is tied to Elvis. If you or anybody knows, please post it for us to see. I'm curious.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

  10. #10
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    I was looking for the answer on when Elvis performed at the Sahara. I found this interesting article. I wish he would have been able to do things like this, if the Colonel hadn’t been an illegal alien. This would have been a huge mountain for Elvis to get pumped up for. Would have been his largest concert.

    Columnist Ralph Pearl
    Las Vegas Sun
    Dec. 8, 1976

    London producer John Daly is in town and determined to make a deal for the appearance of Elvis Presley for the first time in the United Kingdom. Fully aware that many of his colleagues in England have tried unsuccessfully for years to book Elvis into their country, Daly is prepared to offer Elvis a deal he simply won't be able to refuse. Obviously he doesn't know Elvis has crafty manager, Colonel Tom Parker. They've been turning down London offers for years. Anyway, Daly wants to put Elvis into London's Wembley stadium, which seats 100,000, also put in closed circuit TV so Elvis can be beamed to the rest of England and Scotland. Maybe Daly'll get lucky. Frankly we've never understood why Elvis continues to pass up England.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  11. #11
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Elvis stayed at the Sahara when he went to Vegas in the early 60s, celebrated his birthday there in 1962 and he took Priscilla there when she came over to the US for vacation before she moved into to Graceland later.
    The only thing other than that I can assume is that the writer of the article is counting Elvis's performances for the Sahara Chain inTahoe as working for the Sahara. But I do not recall anywhere that he performed at the Vegas Sahara.
    Work in Progress!

  12. #12

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Elvis stayed at the Sahara when he went to Vegas in the early 60s, celebrated his birthday there in 1962 and he took Priscilla there when she came over to the US for vacation before she moved into to Graceland later.
    The only thing other than that I can assume is that the writer of the article is counting Elvis's performances for the Sahara Chain inTahoe as working for the Sahara. But I do not recall anywhere that he performed at the Vegas Sahara.
    That's what I figured. That he never performed there. At least not that's on record. Now that I think of it, it was the New Frontier where he performed in 1956 and the crowd wasn't too pleased with him at that time.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

  13. #13
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I was looking for the answer on when Elvis performed at the Sahara. I found this interesting article. I wish he would have been able to do things like this, if the Colonel hadn’t been an illegal alien. This would have been a huge mountain for Elvis to get pumped up for. Would have been his largest concert.

    Columnist Ralph Pearl
    Las Vegas Sun
    Dec. 8, 1976

    London producer John Daly is in town and determined to make a deal for the appearance of Elvis Presley for the first time in the United Kingdom. Fully aware that many of his colleagues in England have tried unsuccessfully for years to book Elvis into their country, Daly is prepared to offer Elvis a deal he simply won't be able to refuse. Obviously he doesn't know Elvis has crafty manager, Colonel Tom Parker. They've been turning down London offers for years. Anyway, Daly wants to put Elvis into London's Wembley stadium, which seats 100,000, also put in closed circuit TV so Elvis can be beamed to the rest of England and Scotland. Maybe Daly'll get lucky. Frankly we've never understood why Elvis continues to pass up England.
    During the 69 press conderence after his opening he was offered One Million Pounds Sterling for 2 shows and a documentary at Wembley- 24 hours work.

    Q: 'Mr. Presley',.. 'I've been sent here by 'Lord Sutch Enterprises' "To offer you One Million Pounds Sterling to make Two Apperances at the Wembley Empire Stadium in England',.... 'This Price will include a Documentary that will be Filmed during and after the Shows'. 'It will Only Take 24 Hours'.

    Elvis: (Elvis points to Col.Parker) 'You'll have to ask him about that'.

    Colonel Parker: 'Just put down the desposit'.
    .......


    Of course other offers way back to the early days came in about Europe, Japan, England etc...all never to happen.
    Work in Progress!

  14. #14

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    During the 69 press conderence after his opening he was offered One Million Pounds Sterling for 2 shows and a documentary at Wembley- 24 hours work.

    Q: 'Mr. Presley',.. 'I've been sent here by 'Lord Sutch Enterprises' "To offer you One Million Pounds Sterling to make Two Apperances at the Wembley Empire Stadium in England',.... 'This Price will include a Documentary that will be Filmed during and after the Shows'. 'It will Only Take 24 Hours'.

    Elvis: (Elvis points to Col.Parker) 'You'll have to ask him about that'.

    Colonel Parker: 'Just put down the desposit'.
    .......


    Of course other offers way back to the early days came in about Europe, Japan, England etc...all never to happen.
    And we know why, too. Because of Parker's illegal alien status.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

  15. #15
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    There was a man in Paris that wanted to offer $1,000,000 for one performance. He wanted to have 50,000 seat audience and local tv to film the show. It would have been nice to have another high quality video to watch today.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  16. #16
    TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I wish Graceland
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    During the 69 press conderence after his opening he was offered One Million Pounds Sterling for 2 shows and a documentary at Wembley- 24 hours work.

    Q: 'Mr. Presley',.. 'I've been sent here by 'Lord Sutch Enterprises' "To offer you One Million Pounds Sterling to make Two Apperances at the Wembley Empire Stadium in England',.... 'This Price will include a Documentary that will be Filmed during and after the Shows'. 'It will Only Take 24 Hours'.

    Elvis: (Elvis points to Col.Parker) 'You'll have to ask him about that'.

    Colonel Parker: 'Just put down the desposit'.
    .......


    Of course other offers way back to the early days came in about Europe, Japan, England etc...all never to happen.
    I wish they would have filmed this interview, he had some great one liners. My favorite question and answer:

    Q: 'Elvis is there any Other Individual You would Rather Be?'

    Elvis: 'Are you Kidding?
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

    RIP Tommy


  17. #17
    TCB Mafia Joe Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Elvis attended many shows at the Sahara in Vegas. Also, wasn't Viva Las Vegas filmed their?

  18. #18
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    258

    Re: Sahara Hotel

    Yes some of Viva Las Vegas was filmed at the Sahara and Elvis and Ann Margret spent some time there

Similar Threads

  1. Sahara Tahoe Commemorative Menu
    By Elvis.com in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 06:20 AM
  2. 'Sahara Tahoe' Hotel to close in June
    By franny in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-23-2009, 08:02 PM
  3. Sahara Tahoe....July 1973
    By utmom2008 in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 08:21 PM
  4. Elvis suite in Sahara Tahoe hotel refurbished.
    By presley31 in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 10:56 PM
  5. Night At The Sahara, A
    By Sonny in forum Import CD's (information and reviews)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 06:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •