Thread: On Tour The Rehearsals

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

On Tour The Rehearsals

Last edited by Jungleroom76; 02-10-2011 at 02:00 PM.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

ELVIS ON TOUR - THE REHEARSALS my new favorite FTD CD!!!

Well, it took a little over 4 years but I can finally say that I have a BRAND NEW favorite FTD CD!!! Ever since I first heard THE JUNGLE ROOM SESSIONS, that CD has held the title of being my favorite FTD release!! But today, my copy of ELVIS ON TOUR - THE REHEARSALS arrived and I immediately put it into my CD player....all I can say after listening to it 3 times already is...

AWESOME!!!!!

This CD is, hands down, my BRAND NEW FAVORITE FTD release!! I was already anxious to listen to it when it finally arrived today, but now that I've heard it, I just can't get enough of it!! Despite a bit of disappointment that EL PASO didn't turn out to be more than a little goofing around, I have to say that there is not one track on this CD that was a disappointment to me! Some highlights for me:

PROUD MARY - This track ROCKS from start to finish!!! Absolutely FANTASTIC!!!

SEE SEE RIDER - I've always loved the rehearsal of this song that was included on 6363 SUNSET, so I was THRILLED to get another rehearsal version of this one!! Hard-driving rhythm all the way through -- OUTSTANDING STUFF!!!

JOHNNY B. GOODE - It is SO cool to finally have the version of this song that opened the film ELVIS ON TOUR included on an official release! I have always loved this version!!

YOUNG AND BEAUTIFUL - INCREDIBLE!!! I just couldn't imagine how this song would sound, had Elvis ever performed it live....but here on this CD it sounds BEAUTIFUL!!! It really flows well and it sounds like Elvis and the band really put some work into rehearsing this song....it's a shame that Elvis never gave this song serious consideration for inclusion in a live show, aside from the couple of times he toyed with the song in '76!

LAWDY MISS CLAWDY - LOVE that piano playing....stunning version!

FOR THE GOOD TIMES - Although not one of my favorite songs, it quickly became one of my favorite tracks on this CD!!! Just a beautiful performance!

HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT - Again, not a real favorite song of mine but Elvis really turns in a sweet performance here!!!

ALWAYS ON MY MIND - PROBABLY MY FAVORITE TRACK ON THIS CD!!! Everything about this version is incredible!! Elvis' vocal performance here is nothing short of gorgeous, and I just LOVE Ronnie Tutt's drumming on this rehearsal!!

NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN - A GREAT performance once again! I've always loved Elvis' performance of this song from the film, but I think this rehearsal is much better in my opinion. There's just something about it....

SEPARATE WAYS - I've always loved this song anyway, so I had high expectations going into listening to this rehearsal....a little rough in spots, but another beauty of a performance!!

The sound quality of ELVIS ON TOUR - THE REHEARSALS is simply STUNNING!! Each track sounds fresh and exciting, almost as if Elvis has just finished rehearsing!! Ernst Jorgensen and company have done an outstanding job on mixing and mastering these tracks....they sound INCREDIBLE!!! Elvis attacks each song with an intensity that really makes each song stand out in one way or another...and he is really serious about rehearsing these songs too....very little goofing around can be heard throughout the entire CD! Elvis is really into some serious rehearsing here, and it shows with every track!! A nice bonus with these rehearsals is that we get to hear each song WITHOUT the usual orchestration that Elvis used live on stage....each song on ELVIS ON TOUR - THE REHEARSALS has more of a basic, stripped down sound which works surprisingly well on every track!!

Unfortunately, the artwork on ELVIS ON TOUR - THE REHEARSALS leaves a little to be desired, in my opinion. While I think the photo they chose for the front cover is a fine choice, it would have looked a whole lot better if it weren't so fuzzy. The same goes for the 3 photos on the inside front cover and the photo under the CD tray. For an official CD release, I really think FTD should have done something more creative than just using captured screen images as photos! The 3-color scheme that FTD used for the cover and the text (white, blue and orange) is nicely done and really makes the package more attractive, in my opinion. The back cover simply contains the tracklisting for the CD....a nice picture or two would have helped to prevent the back cover from looking so plain, although again, I like the color scheme so that does help a little in my opinion. The CD itself is plain white with the title of the CD in blue and orange lettering.

As I mentioned at the beginning, ELVIS ON TOUR - THE REHEARSALS is now HANDS DOWN MY FAVORITE FTD CD!!! If you have not picked this one up yet, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you quickly add this CD to your Elvis collection....it's one that will remain in your CD player for weeks and months to come!!!

TCB!
    Mike
    Last edited by Albert; 01-04-2005 at 01:14 AM.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Very nice overview, Mike!

If I'm not mistaken, aren't Johnny B. Goode and Separate Ways the same versions used in the film, and Always On My Mind the one seen in This Is Elvis/The Great Performances? I'm not at all saying that's a bad thing; I think it's very appropriate that they be on this release, and they're all great versions to boot!

The great thing about SW is that we get to hear much more of the vocalizing at the end. I never would have guessed from the movie that there was that much more to the song.

That take of AOMM has always been my favorite. I think it's got more soul than the master. Though the sound on this CD is fantastic, I must confess--and maybe this is just because I am used to it--I kind of prefer the little extra reverb applied to the track in TIE/TGP. That's not a gripe though.

There's a moment at the end of Burning Love which is kind of like hearing a pre-master alternate take (which most are) in which Elvis is still searching for the right sound or a particular element. The 'hunka hunka' part goes on forever, until it just kinda tapers off to nothin', man , and after that Elvis asks how they are going to end it onstage. It's so neat to be witness to a moment like that all these years later, because hearing the question posed now, you automatically think of how the song was ended in EOT, or Aloha...and it just seems funny to hear Elvis not having figured that out yet. OK, so I'm easily entertained!

It's great to hear little nuances in these songs that show Elvis' being dedicated as he was at this time. Even in a song like Hound Dog, he changes the delivery up in a way that I haven't heard him do in the exact same way before. We do miss out on the amount of between-song banter that we are used to hearing on this sort of release, but by all accounts Elvis was all-business (well, with a few exceptions) at these rehearsal sessions.

Young And Beautiful alone definitely makes this CD worth getting, but the rest of it ain't exactly filler! The prevalence of the contemporary material is a great asset, though the older tunes shine as well. Every fan needs to hear this one!
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

I just got this CD from a good friend ( many thanks for that Albert), and it's gonna be a CD that will be played a lot of times. The only thing that i really miss (like Albert mentioned also) is the talking between the songs, it doesn't have that rehearsal(s) feeling, and where are the gospel tracks? A lot of fans were getting into the Elvis gospel music cause of these recordings fro the movie on tour. I hear you say: but that weren't rehearsals..! no but neither was Seperate ways or Always On My Mind.. those songs are just Alt. takes.
    So i will complete this CD with the gospel tracks on cd-r.
    In short; the release is GREAT, but not all complete. But the sound is awesome and the band is hot and our man is great, his vocals are very clear and powerful.
    Thank you FTD for the almost complete release! But now we have a little problem: WE WANT MORE! give us trough the main label a On Tour Boxset...

CD 1-4: All four concerts that were recorded for this movie
    CD 5-6: All Alt. takes and Rehearsals (we all know that he also rehearsed You Gave me mountain)
    And as bonus: 1 concert on DVD, that is created from all the concerts that were filmed by MGM...

Cadillac King
    This FTD was waiting for me when I got back home - a real winner BUT with the playing time running to just over 51 mins , why could they have not included the gospel tracks ( OK so they were not really rehearsals) and the between takes chatter ?
    The ommsion of these gives a feeling of incompletness but the sound quality more than makes up for it: is it my imagination or does the "Lost on tour" bootlegs have a more audible version of " El Paso" -the sound here on the first few seconds is far superior though.

jb

Backstage Pass
    This CD didn't leave my cd player yet since I got it, this one is just fantastic , and already one of my favorite FTD's so far . I know there must be more recordings from these sessions.
    So Ernst!!!! If you are watching this!!!!

JUST BRING IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Everybody!

OK now it sounds to me that I'd better rush out and get this one! I'll be back with an update once I hear this new one. Can't wait to hear Elvis!

Thanks to everyone for all the good feedback

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Great, Tommy. I think it's bound to become a favorite.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Thanks Bobby,

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

andrewperry34

Was This Title Deleted?

Is this title sold out? I'm having trouble finding it stateside...

Thanks.

This has the be one of the BEST ELVIS CD'S OUT TO DATE!

I just love the rawness of Elvis without the trumpets and horns. The only thing I notice at times is, Jerry isn't playing bass. But that's just me, I just pick up on things like that.

Other than that, I played this for at least 2 months constantly. I mean no other CD entered my CD player..lol

Absolutely LOVE this one! I think it is because of the almost 'informal' setting...without the strings, orchestra, ect. I think it showcases Elvis' voice dynamically! Def one of my favorites...it's Elvis with that powerful, no nonsense, gettin' 'er done and lovin' it attitude! Awesome...

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

Quote Originally Posted by andrewperry34 View Post
    Is this title sold out? I'm having trouble finding it stateside...

Thanks.

Hey andrewperry34...don't know if you are still looking for this or not, especially since it's been a few months since you posted question above... But here is a link to shopelvis.com where you can find it if you are interested!

http://www.shopelvis.com/Product.asp...184&pc=EPCD040

Daddy, I miss you more every day. You will always be my hero..

This is a really awesome cd!!!!!

This Has To Be One Of My Favorite Cd's. It's So Raw Without The Horns And Elvis Sounds Incredible!

ive heard the whole thing and love it
    Tony

highly recommended

Re: FTD 42 - On Tour The Rehearsals

Here is the album cover.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftdontourtherehearsals.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	32542
    Sincerely,
    Mr.TCB

Re: On Tour The Rehearsals

I have definitely got to get my hands on this one!
    "I believe in the Bible. I believe that all good things come from God. I don't believe I'd sing the way I do if God hadn't wanted me to." -Elvis Presley